As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    man stupid movies

stupid europe

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    I posted about it on Facebook and now this creepy guy has decided he wants to go with me.

• Options
    I mean, you're getting assigned seating, so I guess it's not so bad

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Hey Prometheus thread, I just ordered the Alien Anthology blu-ray set off of amazon and it should get here friday. I've never seen any of the movies before, and I was wondering if I should watch the director's cut or theatrical version for Alien and Aliens?

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Director's Cut for both, absolutely. They'll both run pretty long, but the extra footage is all good stuff, especially in Aliens.

• Options
    yeah both of the director's cuts are great so go with those

• Options
    also prepare yourself because dang you are in for a treat

love those movies

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Alright thanks duders

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Spoilers hoooo.

Full story is up on Wikipedia now (though I'm still a little skeptical - seems to conflict with stuff we see in the trailers) but yeah, seems like it's spoiler time now, avoid the usual places.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    nope watch theatrical alien, directors cut aliens

• Options
    the theatrical cut of alien was 'the directors cut' as in it was the cut that ridley scott wanted at the time.

Scott himself
    For all intents and purposes, I felt that the original cut of Alien was perfect. I still feel that way

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, the DC of Alien is simply an alternate cut, not a definitive version or anything.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Spoilers hoooo.

Full story is up on Wikipedia now (though I'm still a little skeptical - seems to conflict with stuff we see in the trailers) but yeah, seems like it's spoiler time now, avoid the usual places.

Trailers are frequently cut in ways that don't reflect the actual conflict, plot, or even content of the final film.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really will look away when the trailiers start because I want to be surpised when I go see the flim damnit!
    And thanks for the heads up about Wiki as well

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've seen the movie:

Did I like it?
    It was alright. I expected something different, and it delivered to do so, but it felt a bit flat in the end. Does look fantastic though and the 3d is solid.

Does it feel like an alienfilm?
    Not really. Its not the usual xenomorph picks off humas one by one deal. There is almost no stalking in this movie. This is indeed quite a different story told. I thought this would be the case and did not mind.

Does it contain aliens?
    Betaversions of them, in different varieties, but they are almost random afterthoughts, made from some primordial ooze that transforms anything that touches it. They kill and get killed and that's pretty much it. They are not the focus.

Was it scary?
    Not really, it has some tense moments and a creepy build-up regarding David, but most of parts with the beta-aliens feels a bit redundand and random. But life is random and not every step is one forwards.

So how about the story itself:
    It was a bit awkward, as it seems to be going all places at once, and finally takes its direction with a payoff thats way too sudden to be really tense. Hell, a big part of the endgame was in the trailer. Wayland feels a bit put in as an afterthought to get an exciting third act.

I like the idea about the film.
    Random
    is what made us and it's what made the aliensaga possible.

Does this movie set up Alien?
    Kinda, as it shows what happened to the race that build the derelict and how the xenomorph slowly takes it shape we know. But the derelict is not in this movie and what happens in this movie helps us deduct what happened overthere.

I might be mistaking in some of the ideas of this movie, so if ya seen it and feel different, please let me know!

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I just saw this movie and though it was really great. Tense, exciting, beautiful to look at in terms of visual design and ideas as well as the cinematography, great acting from the leads especially Fassbender who absolutely nails the role, I really enjoyed it a lot. Anyone who liked alien should definitely see it, as well as anyone who is into science fiction or horror movies.
    That fucking self-abortion scene

• Options
    This movie was a good movie.

Not an 'Alien' movie. But I was OK with that.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seeing this tomorrow,

• Options
    Fiskav wrote: »
    I've read a few reviews, as well as a few from people here, and it seems that Fassbender delivers the stand-out performance of the film. Did anyone act below your expectations in Prometheus?

Also, looking forward to seeing it in about a week once the crowds die down.

Idris Elba wasn't bad, by any stretch, but he wasn't really given the opportunity to show his skills that much, which was a shame.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So far we've got

1 it was ehh
    1 it was great
    1 it was okay

welp that settles it

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The reviews I've read have been mixed as well.

It's the type of film where it will definitely be compared to the film that preceded it (in this case, Alien) and that's going to leave a bad taste in at least a few mouths because it's hard to have a better film than Alien. It was perfect.

The good thing is, every single review I've read has said that Fassbender is fantastic and steals the show, and Rapace is terrific too.

• Options
    Yeah Noomi Rapace was really good. She will be compared to Weaver, I think, but that is not really fair. After all, some of Ripley's biggest moments came in Aliens, I think, and plus she was much more of the central character in both Alien and Aliens. Rapace doesn't play a character who is so central to the plot, and plus Ripley was a rather ground-breaking character at the time simply because she was a female lead to a sci-fi horror and then a sci-fi action movie.

She got a good amount of screen time and used it very well, really making what I feel is the best scene in the movie feel as powerful and shocking as it needed to be. And she's not alone with the quality of her work, none of the acting in Prometheus is bad by any means.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Movie was great. So good to see a good proper, science fiction film, everything looked great, sounded great and the acting was generally great. Some characters, the visionary scientists for example, make some truly dumb decisions and that kind of bothered me.

Kyoka Suigetsu on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I saw this and thought it was a bit eh. I really enjoyed the music and Fassbender and Noomi Rapace were great.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Movie spoiler talk up in here;
    the Engineer going on a fucking rampage sort of came out of nowhere, eh? :P

My impression was that maybe they do consider themselves gods, and that humanity has fucked up and over extended itself by leaving Earth? Or maybe he was just mad that they had created new life in the form of David?

Alternately, the ampoules of the evolution fluid look sorta like bullets for a planetary gun, like they could bombard a planet to wipe it clean. Maybe not, but eh - they seemed to already be gearing up for war before they got wiped out. Wonder why they decided to kill us all, presumably centuries before humanity took to space?

Also! The timing for Shaw being the grandmother of all Xenomorphs via the squid baby makes no sense, so maybe actually, that fluid will force evolution to something in the form of a Xenomorph every time, like it's somehow the ultimate final version of ANY life form? Otherwise it is one hell of a coincidence (and again, can't be a precursor, since sitting on a neighbour planet was an already ancient cache of facehugger eggs in the derelict) - plus the worms seemed to suddenly have acid blood. This makes the familiar Xenomorph less of a species and more of an archetype, like "given enough time, this is what you will become."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I hated it.
    Hated it, hated it, hated it.

Barely comprehensible plot, no tension, bad creature design, a waste of great actors (Charlize Theron and Idris Elba have very little to do, and Noomi Rapace is given consistently stupid and ridiculous things to do), and a constant recycling of the best elements of it's spiritual predecessor in a very lazy and lacklustre fashion.

If anything, it's ties to Alien
    Actually seem to impede the story it wants to tell, about a race of intergalactic engineers who have decided to destroy what they created. I would watch that film, and then gladly look forward to sequels featuring Lisbeth Salander and Magneto's head. IN SPAAAAAAACE!!!!

So yeah. I wanted to love it, and instead it was a bit like getting kicked in the dick.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    I disagree!

The Good:
    - Looks lovely. Quality editing seems to be something of a rarity nowadays, and Prometheus nailed it. None of that bullshit jumpy flash cut stuff.
    - Set design. Goes in with looking good, I guess, but it really is awesome. The Prometheus itself looks great, and absolutely feels in universe with Alien's Nostromo.
    - Story is fine. What's barely comprehensible about it? Humanity finds an invitation from their makers, they go to meet em. Everything after that has a huge ass veil of mystery around it, sure. But the same goes for Alien; until now we knew absolutely nothing about the creature. The entire movie was them trying to kill it, no speculation, no answers.
    - Some characters are pretty well developed. I dunno, I cared about a couple of em. Holloway getting killed so early was a shock, despite Alien pulling the same thing. :P
    - Creepy. Mainly for that bit where Shaw goes into Vicker's trashed life support module thing, holding the axe. That there was fucking tense.
    - The Engineers. I liked em! :D

The Bad:
    - Pacing. Towards the end, there was a pretty weird moment where the Engineer managed to get to Shaw in the life support module seconds after David warned her, and presumably only minutes after the collision. Whu? I mean, it worked in one way, as the "AIRLOCK BREACHED" bit was a good tension builder, but it's a pretty big leap for the sake of a jump scare.
    - No constant threat. We have the mutated worm/snake thing (which disappears after killing Milburn and Fifield?) then the mutated Frankenfield slaughtering the redshirts, then Shaw's squid baby, then the Engineer, and it did feel like no one of them got enough attention.
    - Redshirts! Why even have em? Much rather they put the well developed characters in danger and have em survive than just go murdering faceless and nameless crewmen.

So it's not perfect, still a great new sci fi movie, and how often does that happen? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So they've already released the box art of this on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital

pro1.jpg

And if you're one of the first 5,000 to preorder it on Amazon, you get a certificate valid for one admission up to $10 to see it in theaters between Friday and August 31st.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    now that is some fucking boxart

fuck yeah

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    The first film in a long time where the exorbitant ticket price turned out to be worth it.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    This isn't playing in my town...FUCK MY TOWN

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Where the hell do you live? Devil's Asshole, Indiana?

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

Close. We have every other major movie that's out now. it's a ten screen theater and 4 of them are occupied by Avengers and MIB3.

So. In closing. Fuck my town

• Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Close. We have every other major movie that's out now. it's a ten screen theater and 4 of them are occupied by Avengers and MIB3.

So. In closing. Fuck my town

Same here. TEXAS

PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Prometheus doesn't come out in the US until Friday, June 8th.

rankmaniac2012-40.gif

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular

rankmaniac2012-40.gif

Now it all makes sense. My twitter feed still makes me jealous of everyone else who's watching it.

PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    Seen it. It was not bad! This does not necessarily mean it was good either. It just bothered me that all the elements were there to make something great, and it never really seemed to me that they came together. Very pretty though, even if
    the suspension of disbelief-breakingly out of character behaviour of the scientists and the pacing
    grated somewhat.

uGn5f.png
  • Options

rankmaniac2012-40.gif

Ok...So only fuck my town a little.

• Options
    I'm still surprised at how bad the reaction to this movie has been. It's not an instant classic, sure. But it's no bad movie, imo.

Hell, my biggest problem was Idris Elba's cowboy accent, and he still managed to have an awesome scene
    telling Vickers to shut up and get out when he decided to kamikaze the Croissant.

Oh brilliant