As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prometheus - Probably an Alien prequel, unless it isn't (it totally is)

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What in the fuck, the creature design is the best thing about Predators, its iconic and utterly different to CG monsters these days, I love em.

If you are armed and capable of defending yourself (which Arnie and Danny Glover, and presumably some 1700s dude, have shown that we theoretically are) (and not pregnant), then you are fair game honour wise to the predators.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    you're talking about Predator

not Predators

or you're not and you're just wrong

Depressperado on
  • Options
    What was wrong about the designs in Predators?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    hey what if instead of having the old-fashioned Predators, the classic villains from the movies everyone loves, the honorable, terrifying, technologically advanced hunters

what if we replace them with bigger, meaner, blacker versions covered in blood and animal bone headdresses that dance and caper around bonfires like 1950s cartoon tribesmen and strut around with cocked arms like they're guido bodybuilders

and they can have some poorly-defined rivalry or war

oh and the tuskdogs

and Adrian Brody pretending to be a badass

and Topher Grace

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Prohass wrote: »
    What in the fuck, the creature design is the best thing about Predators, its iconic and utterly different to CG monsters these days, I love em.

Didn't like the big Predator design.
    If you are armed and capable of defending yourself (which Arnie and Danny Glover, and presumably some 1700s dude, have shown that we theoretically are) (and not pregnant), then you are fair game honour wise to the predators.

I know how their honor works. The point is that don't fight fair. What's the challenge when they can take almost any bullets humans can shoot at them and snipe them with laser beams while being invisible. That's fucking cheating. The best times when they actually live up to their honor is when they go mano-a-Predator and even then they dominate humans, including human monsters like Dutch (the guy who lifts up trucks).

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think its more that they weed out the ones that arent worth a fight, their honour isnt really about fairness as we would understand it. In their logic, if you cant dodge their blasts, or find them when they're invisible, you arent worth a fist fight.

And I loved the big predator design.

Also Depressperado those are really stupid complaints, and you listing things that happened in the movie in a sarcastic tone doesnt have the effect of magically making them actually bad things.

The predator in Predator one 'strutted around with cocked arms', they kind of have to, because they're huge, they've always been huge and muscular, as well as agile, this was in the first one, it was like twice the size of arnold, and it jumped from treebranch to treebranch. And when in the hell did they dance around bonfires? There was a hunting camp where they stripped their kills, they never dance around it? What?

And the use of hunting dogs, the lore, they were all reasonable within the canon of what Predators are.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Predators is balls dude, sorry :(

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Predators is balls dude, sorry :(

Oh you're right I apologise, you've convinced me.

Prohass on
  • Options
    see was that so hard, doesn't the bright hot light of the truth feel good on your skin

isn't the sun warming? Let me rejuvenate you, breathe life into your withered frame

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Predators was fine

Didn't deliver on the promise its premise held but

It is not a terrible movie

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The thing is I dont even think it was that great, I just thought Depressperado's criticisms were off the mark.

Prohass on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    No, Depressperado is a stupid butt

The only thing that was wrong with Predators was the goofy-ass new predator design they used. The classic one looked fine

The rest of the movie was basically just one giant reference to Predator and as a Predator scholar I found it to my liking

Also the opening of that movie was one of the best. The smash to title card was executed with aplomb

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    your butt is stupid

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    still need to see predators

shocked I haven't yet, really

it's never not on cinemax

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    still need to see predators

shocked I haven't yet, really

it's never not on cinemax

I predict that you will like it loads

Adrien Brody playing the heavy is way better than I ever expected

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I liked the new Predator design, I imagined it was the female of their species, which made it infinitely more awesome in that it was bigger and uglier

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    On a side note, I really like the high-pitched shriek-beeps near the end.

Check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

Oh damn, I had no idea that was a callback to the original trailer

That is fantastic

They did it with the lettering appearing bit by bit in the original teaser, too. Check out the OP, and compare how the word 'Prometheus' appears and compare with the way 'Alien' appears in the 1979 trailer.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I hope this movie is about a struggling single xenomorph queen, trying to make it in a xenomorph drone's world, struggling to support her brood of facehuggers who she can't afford humans for until some finally land outside her run down space apartment doing archaeological research.

Her best friend can be a gay predator, it'll test well with the target demo.

override367 on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I hope this movie is about a struggling single xenomorph queen, trying to make it in a xenomorph drone's world, struggling to support her brood of facehuggers who she can't afford humans for until some finally land outside her run down space apartment doing archaeological research.

Her best friend can be a gay predator, it'll test well with the target demo.

"You'll laugh so hard your chest will burst!"
    -Ain't It Cool News

"The Queen of horror is back...with a bite!"
    -Rolling Stones Magazine

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    The aliens are full of spaghetti

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    hey what if instead of having the old-fashioned Predators, the classic villains from the movies everyone loves, the honorable, terrifying, technologically advanced hunters

what if we replace them with bigger, meaner, blacker versions covered in blood and animal bone headdresses that dance and caper around bonfires like 1950s cartoon tribesmen and strut around with cocked arms like they're guido bodybuilders

and they can have some poorly-defined rivalry or war

oh and the tuskdogs

and Adrian Brody pretending to be a badass

and Topher Grace

All the actors were fine in the movie. Brody was definitely a believable mercenary. He needs more action roles IMO.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Adrien Brody and Liam Neeson buddy action movie.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

I know how their honor works. The point is that don't fight fair. What's the challenge when they can take almost any bullets humans can shoot at them and snipe them with laser beams while being invisible. That's fucking cheating. The best times when they actually live up to their honor is when they go mano-a-Predator and even then they dominate humans, including human monsters like Dutch (the guy who lifts up trucks).

one predator versus a team of commandos is a fair fight

you can tell because the predator loses

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The thing is not liking the casting or the acting is fine, I disagree (I thought Brody was great) but I get it, its the other criticisms that just make absolutely no sense to me.

They werent 'blacker' or bigger, three of the Predators involved were the EXACT same type of predator as in the first two (same size, same build, design, movements, behaviours.

The second movie established that each one has his own custom helmet, and given that the first movie predator decorated himself in bones it makes sense that others would to, including their helmets.

Also there was no bonfire and no dancing and the whole cartoon tribesmen thing is just weird, its not in there, watch the film, it doesnt happen, ever. The closest is that they have a hunting camp, which has no bonfire (or at least is not central nor ever danced around), just piles of dead things in various stages of being skinned, which they have always done, in every movie, and as hunters, makes absolute sense. Is this like a general impression you got from that set or something?

As for the 'poorly-defined rivalry', there are two types, Alphas and Betas, the ones we've been seeing so far are Betas. I mean its not well defined because it doesnt need to be from the perspective of the humans, which are the viewpoint of the movie, its not outrageous or stretching the limits of what we can accept in a universe like this. Its not amazing, but its certainly not a negative mark against the film.

And the tuskdogs also make absolute sense, they're hunters, using hutning dogs weaken and weed out the chaff so thats all thats left is the best. I mean maybe its unimaginative? But eh, its not like eye-rollingly bad.

The movie has some dumb parts, just none of the ones Dep mentioned were outrageously dumb (or even in the film).

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The Predator only loses after he killed 99% of the team. The only survivors are a woman and the only sane soldier who got out of dodge asap (am I remembering that right?) by helicopter. Staying there was suicide.

Dutch barely was able to defeat the Predator, which was close to a draw. Had Dutch been unable to outrun the self destructive explosion it would have been a draw. Dutch only survived that long by discovering the predator's weaknesses accidentally and relying on the Predator twiddling its thumbs for hours while he built traps. If the Predator had not let Dutch build said traps he'd have been screwed when the fight started. It also took off its armor and weaponry later on, too. Then it proceeded to curbstomp Dutch like a little bitch for a while.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Prohass, I liked predators.

Fishburnes role was originally written for Annie.

Imagine if they kept that under wraps.

Would have been fucking insane see Arnie de-cloak.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

The Predator only loses after he killed 99% of the team. The only survivors are a woman and the only sane soldier who got out of dodge asap (am I remembering that right?) by helicopter. Staying there was suicide.

Dutch barely was able to defeat the Predator, which was close to a draw. Had Dutch been unable to outrun the self destructive explosion it would have been a draw. Dutch only survived that long by discovering the predator's weaknesses accidentally and relying on the Predator twiddling its thumbs for hours while he built traps. If the Predator had not let Dutch build said traps he'd have been screwed when the fight started. It also took off its armor and weaponry later on, too. Then it proceeded to curbstomp Dutch like a little bitch for a while.

so you can tell the predator had an unfair advantage because he almost won

you know what's another word for almost winning

• Options

so you can tell the predator had an unfair advantage because he almost won

you know what's another word for almost winning

The Predator proved it had an unfair advantage by killing his team effortlessly and throwing Dutch around like a ragdoll for it's version of a "fair fight".

You're also ignoring it having the Idiot Ball for Dutch to even the odds and luck for finding its weakness.

He was also the strongest member on the team, as well. Anyone else wouldn't have lasted five minutes under the same conditions.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Based on their performances, Predator wins 99 times out of 100.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to this movie, FYI.

Idris Elba with a southern American accent, though? Fie!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    this looks fucking good

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, Preds reserve their cloak for prey that shoot back. And as far as I can tell, they aren't significantly more resistant to bullets than any other biological creature. Bigger, tougher, and stronger, yes. But tools and weapons act as a pretty good equalizer.

I also really wish they actually filmed the King Willie fight.

And that there was a movie which actually pitted the Colonial Marines against a Predator or two.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Bullets do less damage to them than people.

Though I didn't know what you are doing firing humans at predators.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Bullets do less damage to them than people.

Though I didn't know what you are doing firing humans at predators.

Next Predator movie, Predator attacks a circus! Strongest man fights Predator hand to hand, RELEASE THE LIONS! The Amazing Human Cannonball versus Alien FLESH!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Predators only use their cloak when they fight dudes with guns, I should point out

In Predator, when the pred sees Billy on the log with his machete, he de-cloaks and take him mano-a-mano

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    The aliens are full of spaghetti

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    This Predators movie is no good.

I want to know how even with CGI and more advanced special effects, the creatures in this movie looked worse than the original.

There should be a law about this kind of thing.

Yeah, this was the one major flaw of Predators

How did anyone look at that creature design and go "yeah, this looks good"
    I was thinking more along the lines that they really weren't concerned with the fact that the predators look like they just left some kid's birthday party a half hour before. And then way too much of the CGI didn't look great. There was way too much digital blood for a movie that didn't involve Zatoichi.

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Predators is thoroughly enjoyable, had a nice reveal, the Grand Predator is actually genuinely frightening in how obviously it outclasses and terrifies the standard Yautja (Plus I honestly didn't expect it under the mask) and it has a lot of nice little touches
    If I recall correctly the corpse they find at the beginning surrounded by traps has a chesthole for obvious reasons
    That would have been a foul way to go

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    the international trailer is better

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular