Options

Bank sleight of hand w/my money

Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up!Spokane WARegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I had a limited account with Wells Fargo for a year. At the end of the year they cajoled me into applying for a regular account. I then have two accounts while I wait for payroll to catch up to my new account info. During this period money was moved from the old account to the new account. During this time my auto bill-pay I have set up with my car insurance company (set up through the insurance not through the bank) attempts to charge my account....twice, before I catch it. The bank declines to pay, and charges me $35 for insufficient funds for each charge. This was 50 days ago, and have not had the money to pay it off and close the account. The bank calls me on Wednesday to ask if I can pay it back. I tell them not yet, it'll have to wait till my next paycheck (12/30) . He mentions that I have this other account and there is money in it. I tell him that the money has already been spent, the charges just haven't gone through yet. The guy on the phone says they will call me back next week to see if I can pay then. I tell him I'll see what I can do in the meantime. I wake up today and according to the bank they took the money from my active account and paid off the overdrawn account, by overdrawing my active account.

So they wouldn't pull money from that account to pay the actual charges from the insurance company, but they'll take it to pay for their insufficient fund charges??

Obviously this just seems wrong, but is it actually legal for them to do this?

I am in WA state if that matters...and this is the bank paying for their own fees, not a court ordered collections.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
Reverend_Chaos on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I had a limited account with Wells Fargo for a year. At the end of the year they cajoled me into applying for a regular account. I then have two accounts while I wait for payroll to catch up to my new account info. During this period money was moved from the old account to the new account. During this time my auto bill-pay I have set up with my car insurance company (set up through the insurance not through the bank) attempts to charge my account....twice, before I catch it. The bank declines to pay, and charges me $35 for insufficient funds for each charge. This was 50 days ago, and have not had the money to pay it off and close the account. The bank calls me on Wednesday to ask if I can pay it back. I tell them not yet, it'll have to wait till my next paycheck (12/30) . He mentions that I have this other account and there is money in it. I tell him that the money has already been spent, the charges just haven't gone through yet. The guy on the phone says they will call me back next week to see if I can pay then. I tell him I'll see what I can do in the meantime. I wake up today and according to the bank they took the money from my active account and paid off the overdrawn account, by overdrawing my active account.

So they wouldn't pull money from that account to pay the actual charges from the insurance company, but they'll take it to pay for their insufficient fund charges??

I am in WA state if that matters...and this is the bank paying for their own fees, not a court ordered collections.

Yup, is legit. In your account agreements you agree that your deposits can be used to pay for any negative accounts. Call 'em up and yell at them. Since you were already talking to a collections guy and said when you were going to pay, they might be able to undo some damage.

Edit: Oh, since I used to work at a bank call center, I can let you know to not expect very much sympathy. No offence, but as a rep who's heard a lot of stories, this one was mostly your fault.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Wait, the bank didn't pay it, and still charged you $35 for each occurrence. then moved other money you explicitly told them was already spent, and then charged you for that, too? I would get on the phone with the bank, politely explain the situation and what happened, and ask them to reverse the charges. If they say they can't do that, ask very nicely to speak to their supervisor. Explain to the supervisor that the person before was very nice and you appreciated what they said, but that you're hoping this person can help you. Continue until you get someone who can help.

I would also strongly encourage you to file a complaint against the bank with the FDIC. It probably won't go anywhere, but it will probably force them to waste a lawyer's time, which is expensive for them.

Finally, whether or not they reverse the charges on your account (but wait until you get them to do it before you do this), I would encourage you to switch to a credit union. Most credit unions charge much less for overdraft protection than traditional banks. I bank with Alaska Federal (a Washington credit union), and they charge $20 if you don't have another account with them, or $5 if they're just taking from another account. In addition, this fee is waived for anything under $20, and as a rule, they tend to just waive it the first time it happens in a calendar year. I suspect BECU has similar policies.

This bank is raking you over the fucking coals for no other reason than they can, and they know you can't do anything about it because you're poor. They're a bunch of fuckers. You should work their system to mitigate this as much as possible, then leave immediately after that.

• Options
    Also, keep in mind that Wells Fargo is an evil, super-shitty company that you shouldn't feel comfortable supporting with your banking.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They are super, super shitty.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, keep in mind that Wells Fargo is an evil, super-shitty company that you shouldn't feel comfortable supporting with your banking.

Tell me more about this. I had an account with Wachovia for years that recently changed to Wells Fargo and I've been looking for motivation to move on. Are they extra evil beyond the general "omg commercial bank 1% evilbabyeatingmonster" sentiment?

• Options
    They ream poorer customers out the ass with fees if they don't maintain some actually high value in their accounts or spend a lot of it and risk over-drafting (like 20 something transactions when I had to open an emergency account for a cash advance).

My local bank (not CU) requires either just both a savings and checking account or a balance of $100. Wells fargo told me that I had to have $2000 or I'd get dinged with a $10 charge per account. CU's are much, much better unless you've got a bank that isn't a bag of dicks. But good luck with that, those tend to just be smaller local branches and you're better off at credit unions anyways because of better practices.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    They ream poorer customers out the ass with fees if they don't maintain some actually high value in their accounts or spend a lot of it and risk over-drafting (like 20 something transactions when I had to open an emergency account for a cash advance).

They do? I can tell you that on many occasions my accounts with Wells Fargo have sat near empty and they haven't said or charged me a thing. I've been with them for...5 years now and I've never had an issue. I'm also one of those people who actually keeps track of what they're spending though so I never overdraft.

• Options
    Well thats is may be, but that is the polar opposite of what they told me. Then again you may use your debit card the required 30 times to avoid the fee, or something, I don't know. Regardless their maintenance fees are astronomical in comparison of local banks and credit unions, so, unless you travel a lot and don't bring enough cash and get anal about ATM fees of $4 when you do do that, by all means use Wells Fargo.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

Tell me more about this. I had an account with Wachovia for years that recently changed to Wells Fargo and I've been looking for motivation to move on. Are they extra evil beyond the general "omg commercial bank 1% evilbabyeatingmonster" sentiment?

The big 4 area all basically evil because thy have no need to be decent or customer-friendly, as most people will bank with them anyways and it affects margins. Only the smaller guys (CU's) have any incentive to try and lure and keep customers. That is not to say that the big 4 doesn't have decent customer-facing people working for them who try to be helpful. CU's will almost universally offer you better rates (borrowing or saving) and will have friendlier policies w/r/to penalties and fees. The only real advantage from the big banks is number of atms you can accessss w/out fees.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:

They do? I can tell you that on many occasions my accounts with Wells Fargo have sat near empty and they haven't said or charged me a thing. I've been with them for...5 years now and I've never had an issue. I'm also one of those people who actually keeps track of what they're spending though so I never overdraft.

You may also have an older account type with terms that aren't available on newer accounts. Years ago I opened an account with Bankone that had a $250 minimum balance to avoid any bank fees. When Chase bought them out, they had to honor those terms for a few years, even though they did not offer an account with those specific terms, in that specific combination.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The solution to most banking problems like this is to call and bitch. A lot.

You may not get anything, but if you annoy them enough they might refund the overdraft fees.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One other thing you may want to try @Reverend_Chaos--and I know it sounds cliche--is to write or call your Congressman. That is assuming you're in a Democratic district; you can try with a Republican, but it's way less likely to get anywhere.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    Congratulations on your ability to never change your life in any way, shape, or form, or have anything bad outside of your control happen. We're all very impressed with you.

• Options
    I will admit I've been hit with overdrafts even when I've watched my money pretty close.

Shit happens like thinking my next check posted already when it didn't. Most expensive soda I ever bought.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    their local branches here in San Diego are staffed by very friendly persons, but their central customer service is crap. like, shit from a butt.

might i direct you to this thread, in which many helpful H/A folks point to neat banking alternatives?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    The important question is: if you're a WA resident, why aren't you already banking with BECU?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    The important question is: if you're a WA resident, why aren't you already banking with BECU?

This one.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I've got a Wells Fargo account (formerly Wachovia, formerly SouthTrust) and I can say that of all three banks Wells Fargo has been the worst.

The only reason we're still with them is for a few personal reasons and one really good financial adviser at the local branch who has helped us get the most out of their accounts, something I'm sure he'll be fired for at some point since he's a nice dude.

edit: that wasn't mean to be an off topic rant, I'm just adding to the already high list of "get out of Wells Fargo and into a credit union" tip pile.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011

Yes, it is legal for them to do this. What they issued is called an NSF Returned Item Free, and it is totally legal, and is probably described somewhere in inscrutable fine print in your account agreement. The same thing would have happened if you had bounced a check.

Yes, it is super-shitty.

Yes, you do have a chance to get the NSF fees reversed by calling the bank's 1-800 number and bitching at them. You might be able to get them reversed by going into a branch in person, but with the big corporate banks that's actually less likely.

Yes, this is exactly the reason people are bailing on the big corporate banks and going with regional credit unions, which you should do too.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Speaking of overdraft fees, BoA just got spanked with a class action suit for their practices (They'd process the largest payment first, maximizing the overdraft charges for small purchases). I got a check for $98 the other day! So keep an eye out for those sorts of shenanigans.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Speaking of overdraft fees, BoA just got spanked with a class action suit for their practices (They'd process the largest payment first, maximizing the overdraft charges for small purchases). I got a check for $98 the other day! So keep an eye out for those sorts of shenanigans.

it's good to see that a bank finally got caught doing this. Wachovia did it to me a few times back in college when I was more careless with my money and I'd get hit with about $160 in overdraft fees for going over $18 over four transactions because of this.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I just have to say that as another person who's had their Wachovia account taken over by Wells Fargo this has done a lot to convince me to move to a smaller bank or credit union. Lately they've been harassing me to "convert" my old school Wachovia free checking account. I'm sensing eminent sodomizing.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    you can often talk your way out of these fees or get some settlement on them.

The key here is to emphasize that this was an error that occurred in the process of moving money within their bank, and you want to forget the whole thing and keep using them (whether you intend to or not). Keep escalating through people on the phone until you get someone who can help you...Be direct on the phone, IE "It seems like this was a mutual mistake, how can we take care of it?"

Your goal with bank personal is to kill with patience and kindness. Don't get mad, don't get impatient, be firm and direct, tell them what you want and don't try to work up to it or come at it sideways. And write down who you talk to and when - I strongly suggest taking notes at a computer while you deal with them on the phone - so that you can keep them to what one person says the next time you call them.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

it's good to see that a bank finally got caught doing this. Wachovia did it to me a few times back in college when I was more careless with my money and I'd get hit with about $160 in overdraft fees for going over $18 over four transactions because of this.

Wachovia did this to me when I was so poor I needed to keep track of every penny and was doing so successfully, so I know they do it. I knew exactly what I had, what I'd spent, and how many days ago, and I STILL ended up with a ridiculous number of overdraft fees that should never have been. Shortly after I realized this was happening I had an opportunity to switch to a credit union and did so, and I have never looked back. In my opinion the big 4 are pretty much criminals.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Not the derail the topic but I was 18 managing my first bank account and got hit with about 500 dollars in overdraft fees alone (plus the 200+ for bills). I was living with my Mom and she didn't tell me she paid a big ass bill with my card so I got royally fucked when I went a week digging my account deeper and deeper in to the negative with fast food and cigarettes. Finally on friday (which just so happened to be the week I don't get paid) I try to fill up my tank and my card get's declined. I check the atm at the gas station and see the big ass number in parenthesis, stood frozen in fear for like 2 minutes (I was a good 30 minute drive from home with the tank on empty and less than 2 bucks in change). Luckily my little Reno pulled through.

Since I had no idea what the hell to do my mom was nice enough to spend a day on the phone with multiple BoA reps, demanding supervisors and then supervisors of supervisors until they agreed to wave all the fees. From that day forward I checked my bank account on a daily basis.

I'm with Wachovia (which turned into Wells Fargo) now and am seriously considering switching to a credit union.

Inkyblots on