As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acohol and Anti-Biotics

Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey Folks,

So I've been sick, went to the doctor got a zithromax pack. My last dose will be taken on Christmas morning. However, that's my brother's birthday and I picked us up a bottle of a very special local beer that I was hoping to use to toast the occassion and the birth of his new daughter.

Now I know you aren't supposed to consume alcohol when on most medications, and like all antibiotics. But at that point, is it a big deal? My gut feeling is to put it off until later, but I'm sure my brother wants to crack that bottle open.

XBL - TeenageHead
Continental_Op on

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Does the drug say not to drink alcohol on the bottle?

if it interacts with alcohol it should say so on the prescription bottle.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The general issue of antibiotics and alcohol is that it puts additional stress on your system when your already fighting something, and your liver dealing with both can intensify side effects. Some of them do have specific interaction issues. Give your doctor a call or google your antibiotics and alcohol.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    1 beer is not going to hurt you. As long as you just want to toast don't worry. Just don't get drunk.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    There is not a direct interaction between alcohol and Zithromax. That being said, you shouldn't wash down your med with any alcohol since it may actually physically degrade the pill and affect how well you absorb it(I realize you probably wouldn't do this). As long as you separate when you take the med (at least 2-3 hours) and when you moderately drink there shouldn't be a problem. As far as the liver goes, alcohol and azithromycin are metabolized by different enzymes so you shouldn't have a problem on that front.

Are you taking any other medications?

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    According to the NHS website, Macrolides such as azithromycin don't interact with alcohol. However the antibiotic does cause stomach irritations, so you may be feeling unwell from that, which might put you off the booze.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    that's my brother's birthday and I picked us up a bottle of a very special local beer that I was hoping to use to toast the occassion and the birth of his new daughter.

He is talking about 1 bottle of beer he intends to share with his brother for a toast, so I guess the OP wants to drink about 1 glass of beer. Unless this is a gigantic magnum bottle nothing bad will happen, no matter what enzymes are involved.
    He is not doing a kegstand, he is not drinking hard liquor, he wants to share 1(one) bottle of beer with his brother.
    There is no need to worry, no need to consult a doctor(unless the OP has any allergies to yeast and hops), no need to get into the specifics of which medication might affect his liver in what way.

• Options
    Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the info everybody. No, I'm not taking anything else and yeah, taking the medication and drinking would be separated by at least 5 hours.

It is a bigger bottle of beer, a "bomber" at 750ml. And it's super strong at 18.3% ABV. I'm also kind of a lightweight so one beer at that content is probably going to get me drunk. I'll just hold it until New Years or another night. He lives close by so it's not a big deal. I'd rather just make sure that whatever bug I caught is thoroughly "nuked" by the antibiotics. Plus, that way I can fully enjoy the beer without any worries (however misplaced they may be) in the back of my head.

Once again, thanks everybody!

XBL - TeenageHead
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote:
    that's my brother's birthday and I picked us up a bottle of a very special local beer that I was hoping to use to toast the occassion and the birth of his new daughter.

He is talking about 1 bottle of beer he intends to share with his brother for a toast, so I guess the OP wants to drink about 1 glass of beer. Unless this is a gigantic magnum bottle nothing bad will happen, no matter what enzymes are involved.
    He is not doing a kegstand, he is not drinking hard liquor, he wants to share 1(one) bottle of beer with his brother.
    There is no need to worry, no need to consult a doctor(unless the OP has any allergies to yeast and hops), no need to get into the specifics of which medication might affect his liver in what way.

Apologies for being thorough. Pharmacist in me coming out. Enzymes are very important depending on the med, especially if taking other meds.