As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR]: PvP Thread. Ilum, you are terrible.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Strika wrote: »
    wz comms convert into ranked wz comms 30-1, and then you can buy war hero gear.

It's 3:1, by way of 30 for 10.

Hell of a grind though. I've given up on it. Hopefully they'll put in ranked warzones sometime.

Yeah, War Hero chest piece comes out to about 4500 coms. Not great, but you get 99/day from the daily and then another 99 from the weekly (I was really disappointed to find it was only 100, but whatever).

I wish my healing sorc had more survivability. I see Ops/Scoundrels running around and it makes me super jealous. I get one dude on me? He'll kill me but its going to take a long time. I get 2 dudes on me? I go down in 5 seconds.

Ive seen a healing spec scoundrel take on 3 people and not even bat an eye. He didnt do any damage, but he sure as shit wasnt dying.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    If the people attacking know how to use their interrupts and to time them at the end of the cast, healers usually go down pretty quick. Most people seem oblivious about their interrupts in sub 50 pvp, so I see a lot herpin' and derpin' when a healer with any skill pops up.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    This is from SA so take it with a grain of salt, but the current leak of 1.3 is STILL no ranked warzones, and still no 8-man queueing.

So, hooray for that

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    sam16sam16 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    This is from SA so take it with a grain of salt, but the current leak of 1.3 is STILL no ranked warzones, and still no 8-man queueing.

So, hooray for that

Actually, they got their information from someone incorrectly summarizing the official podcast. What they said was that cross-server warzones were coming "soon". There was no explicit mention of it not being in 1.3.

The last statement before that was that they were hoping to get it out before 1.3. The 8-man queues are only going to come out when cross-server wz's come out as well. It's bad enough going up against 4 man premades, they're not going to add 8-man queues to unranked wz's.

sam16 on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wish there was more evenness between archetypes for PvP. If every healer got a friendly pull, tank an enemy pull, dps a single target push and all classes an interrupt it would do a lot to make everyone feel useful.

Make PvE easier to balance as well. There are some encounters that practically require an interrupt that fuck over commandos and there was an entire boss that couldn't be killed by certain group compositions.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I discovered today that at 50 pvp becomes a lot less fun and a lot more crammed with arseholes

• Options
    I discovered today that at 50 pvp becomes a lot less fun and a lot more crammed with arseholes

Yeah, its a total kick in the face when you first get there, but if you buy the blue pvp armor (it should be sold by the guy in between your class's War Hero gear and Battlemaster gear) it should make it a little easier and then you can save up your coms and pick up the Battlemaster gear.

• Options
    Yeah, if you don't have at least the Recruit gear, you're fucked. It's a pretty heavy investment, too at several hundred thousand. The gap between a new 50 and a Battlemaster/War Hero geared 50 is crazy. Even a recruit geared player doesn't stand much of a chance, they just don't get killed quite as fast and don't suffer the huge damage penalty against a character with expertise.

• Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if you could save up your commendations to buy a good bit of gear once you hit 50, but the 2000 cap buys you butt shit. Aside from that I heard more bitching, insults and abuse in one game than I had in every game before 50.

It's a shame, because I was really enjoying pvp, but I'm not going to engage in an awful arms race just to be competitive.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    It wouldn't be so bad if you could save up your commendations to buy a good bit of gear once you hit 50, but the 2000 cap buys you butt shit. Aside from that I heard more bitching, insults and abuse in one game than I had in every game before 50.

It's a shame, because I was really enjoying pvp, but I'm not going to engage in an awful arms race just to be competitive.

Yeah, you really run into the dickheads who have way too much of their ego riding on the game at 50.

It's a shame, but not unexpected.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Yeah, you really run into the dickheads who have way too much of their ego riding on the game at 50.

It's a shame, but not unexpected.

Yeah, I basically skipped buying the recruit gear (I only bought the weapon and offhand), but I had 3000 commendations saved up (2000 commendations and 1000 merc commendations) and then like 1000+ ranked warzone commendations (I did a lot of pvp since this was my third 50 and said fuck it to most planet quests) so I bought a War Hero implant and then Battlemaster pants. It didnt help much.

And people complained (like every match) that I was holding the team back because I didnt have enough pvp gear. Fuck them though, I was consistently the top healer on the team and usually the top in the warzone (unless theres this one fucking scoundrel, motherfucker gets like 500k healing in Huttball).

Now I have 4/5 Battlemaster, Battlemaster bracers and belt, War Hero implant and ear and I still only have 15,000ish health fully buffed. I can heal through one guy doing damage to me, but once I get 2 or more people I go down super fast.

Regardless, my experience as a healer was pretty shitty and I cant imagine what it would be like for dps.

• Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, this game has made one to many mistakes for me, and I will not be continuing to play it. I enjoyed the hell out of my time, but I feel like they really do not have a grasp on how to balance the classes very well. A lot of very basic quality of life options were missing when the game launched, and the last straw(for me) was making a gigantic deal out of ranked wz's/group queues and not delivering on it. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, can't be fooled again.

• Options
    It's just such a shame considering sub 50 pvp tends to be super fun.

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I hit 50 on my second character (second Sith Warrior, too. What the hell am I doooooing) this weekend, grabbed a battlemaster's lightsaber, and put recruit gear in most of the rest of my slots--and I only got into a couple matches, but PvP didn't seem so bad?

I didn't feel very sturdy, but I smacked some dudes, and it felt a lot better than the last time I tried to claw my way into 50s PvP, using the 5 champions bags worth of champ/cent commendations.

Although reading emp123's post, I didn't know I could've traded up for ranked, and traded off for merc commendations to pad my loadout when I hit 50. I wish I had realized!

CowShark on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »
    So I hit 50 on my second character (second Sith Warrior, too. What the hell am I doooooing) this weekend, grabbed a battlemaster's lightsaber, and put recruit gear in most of the rest of my slots--and I only got into a couple matches, but PvP didn't seem so bad?

It's a mixed bag. If you go up against teams with a similar gear/skill level, it's not bad. If you end up against the BM/WH geared premade, you'll end up playing your ass off to try to get a single cast to land in between the endless rez/run back. (OK, it may be more fun for DPS, any group remotely organized relentlessly hunts healers)

So I hit 50 on my Sage Saturday morning; through queue dodging the Imp premades managed to go 16-2-4 in pugs and pick up 4 piece Battlemaster. Now I at least don't feel super guilty running in premades with the craptastic Recruit gear, hooray! ....Just in time for D3, d'oh.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I tried 50 PVP after being away from it for a bit and didn't enjoy the experience. Sub 50 PVP is still fun, have a shadow, assassin and an operative that engage in it.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I was planning to use PVP as a way to level. However, that can't happen unless I am on at peak times.

Please add cross server asap.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying PvPing as I level up... so it's very depressing to hear a lot of people talking about hating it at 50.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying PvPing as I level up... so it's very depressing to hear a lot of people talking about hating it at 50.

In my view its because there is such a disparity between new level 50 players and people who have full war hero gear that for me at least it feels like your fighting people 5-10 levels above you.
    I know on my server if you end up playing against some people you ARE going to lose unless the rest of their team is terrible and have no idea what they are doing. In a recent match on Denova I saw one player I know is good singlehandedly take a post and then defend it against 4 people. If I see the same player while playing huttball I know if he gets the ball he will score.
    In comparison at level 1-49 all players stats get boosted to the same level so the players are more equal.

• Options
    I dunno. Here and there, you'll see a dude who completely kitted himself out in Cybertech gear and has 16k+ hit points in sub-50 pvp. _Those guys_ are out of control as well.

• Options
    yeah i saw my first of those. i would get 3-shot during this one voidstar always by the same trooper/BH whatever he was.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I dunno. Here and there, you'll see a dude who completely kitted himself out in Cybertech gear and has 16k+ hit points in sub-50 pvp. _Those guys_ are out of control as well.

Oh so you've met Wanton? I didn't know you played Empire on Oceania PVP.

*smirk*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Man, I try not to get worked up about warzones. But some people really push me. Like being in a warzone for the entire match and having 0 damage and 0 healing. And then going on how about you're the only healer on the team. Just, what?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Wait I have a cybertech. How I do?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Get a set of orange gear (like the pay-for legacy stuff in your capital city), then kit it out with purple armorings/mods (and enhancements, assuming you have/know an artificer as well)--for the particular level that the character is. When you hop into a warzone, the boosting algorithm should boost you proportionately to your character's low-level stats (high stats for a low level dude = high stats for a high level dude).

I don't have a cybertech character, but I made an alt a complete set of purple hilts for his lightsabers, so I know that I always went into <50 warzones with ~700 damage on my character sheet.

CowShark on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hell I don't even purple. I just make sure I've got full blue upgrades and that's more than good enough to boost me into the stupid zone. Although I guess I have a lot of action game experience which really helps with playing a sentinel. Such a twitchy class.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Don't be misled, I really enjoyed 50 pvp, they just don't do a very good job of balancing this game. What I don't like, is them promising 2 very important pvp related things, and then not delivering on it.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Just had a Huttball where I got cheated out of at least a draw somehow. I'm playing with a Juggernaught and we're 1-0 down with only a minute and a half to go, I've got the ball and I force jump to a guy on the ramp that leads right to their touchline. I force-choke the guy and im home free to score. Suddenly the balls disappears and reappears on one of my team literally half the map away in the wrong direction and the announcer is all "what a pass!". The guy who had the ball was way beyond throwing distance, let alone I couldnt see him, didn't have my cursor near the throw ball button and he was in the wrong direction! Was absolutely fuming.
    I know in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal but it was still annoying.

• Options
    Are there draws in any of the WZ's?

• Options
    huttball seems to go by who scored last in a tie. All the other's would only be a draw in the rarest of cases, such as both teams finishing voidstar with the same times, it's technically possible just really damn rare. not sure how those are handled though.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't even play anymore, but it was sad to see that Stephen Reid was one of the people let go.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Thought huttball was decided by who held the ball at the end, in case of a tied score.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    If the score is tied in Huttball, whoever has the ball wins. But I guess if no one has the ball it's who scored last. I've never had it end without the ball being in play though.

Invisible on
  • Options
    oh. the only time i've ever had a tie we scored right before the end and it probably wasn't picked up before the end

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I heard there was no cross server group finder coming in 1.3.

I take this as a sign there will be no cross server WZ Q's, no?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    That seems correct.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Did they get rid of all the other pvp commendations like mercenary and centurion?

Because if so that's pretty boss in a 'why the fuck didn't they do that right out the gate' kind of way.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Yes.
    Now, you just have:
    Warzone Commendations (Warzones, Daily and Weekly PvP Quest)
    Mercenary Commendations (Open World PvP, I don't even know if you can buy any thing with these or what rewards them; I had a 1000/1000 after the patch and just converted them to WZ)
    Ranked Warzone Commendations (Ranked Warzones, Daily and Weekly PvP quest)

And you just buy the equipment with them. No more gear lottery.

• Options
    I don't think merc comms happen any more.

• Options
    sam16sam16 Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I heard there was no cross server group finder coming in 1.3.

I take this as a sign there will be no cross server WZ Q's, no?

Apparently, we are getting ranked wz's in 1.3. The newest Q&A says that the heavy lifting is done and it's just sorting out conflicts with the group finder.