As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR]: PvP Thread. Ilum, you are terrible.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So after hitting 50 and finishing up the last few missions of my story, I promptly went into Ilum to see what that place was all about. All I had heard about it beforehand was through BW previews, mostly explaining it as an endgame/PVP planet. Unless I missed things somehow, it appears that there's about 4 PVE based dailies and 1 war effort PVP daily/weekly that you can do. I wasn't naive enough to think there wouldn't be an endgame daily grind in this game, so it's not that much of a let down. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something about the planet.

Also, it appeared that on Shadowlands, there was pretty much an unspoken truce between the two factions. I was able to finish the weekly without any resistance. I was even passed by a group of reds who didn't even stop to scare me. I'm not complaining, I just find it funny that people would rather just get the grind over with than mess with it. Granted, there are so few 50's, the place is going to be a ghost town for awhile, so that has a large reason to do with it, I'm sure.

Decoy on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I haven't dropped a pair of testicles yet to try warzone PVP yet - but I have a Marauder and a Mercenary.

Anyone got any general pointers? Or class specific ones? I may give it a shot tonight - all I can say is that I expect a full ass whuppin'. I am taking notes - hutt ball pass key thing, check.

3lwap0 on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Do not jump down to your goal line when the enemy carrier is ahead and has a charge.

Do root ball carriers on fire.

Do not stand in fire yourself.

Do pass to tanks who seem competent.

Do not jump into the pit when you could be open for a pass.

Do look for a pass when you are in the pit.

Do not flirt with the Hutt.

Do flirt with Rigorous Scholarship.

Do not make a futile attempt to score if the match is a tie and you have the ball in the last thirty seconds. Keep the ball. You will win if you survive.

Do hit your group buff when you respawn.

Do not leave the Void Star doors unattended on defense, even if it seems like a great idea to chase someone ten feet to the right around a corner. It isn't. Really.

Do stare longingly at the doors even in combat. They are tricky and have many suitors. They will find love behind your back if you aren't careful.

Do not stand between a warrior or inquisitor and the yawning gulf of instant death unless you like dying.

Do leave people crippled and slowed in the hallways rather than killing them on a good push to the core.

Do not delude yourself into believing that you might have killed Fexhie if only you hadn't been horribly murdered by his entire team that one time. Fexhie can not die.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Question/discussion for Jedi guardians what specs are best for pvping? Currently I'm lvl 32 and dps specced. I'm really enjoying it and I like the tanky dps play style. However I am usually in my tank stance guarding someone. I believe a tank isn't doing their job if their protection score is zero in any war zone. Plus, it's free medals. I'm wondering if I'm really missing out on survivability and if my damage will suffer if I respec.

What I like, it is awesome to be able guard someone and be a tank but it's even better to swap stances on somebody and dps them down. I also seem to get some awesome perks from the dps tree that help survivability. Force Leap gives a 20% damage reduction and immune to knockback buff. I can also get minor endurance and damage reduction talents.

Edit: PS. I must be doing something right because my name is usually towards the top of the scoreboard.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Also Fexhie is awesome. I love pvping with him. Fexhie, I'm leveling only so I can contribute more!

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Had an interesting experience in a huttball game where 4 guild mates were on one team, and 4 on the other. Saber throwing a dps assassin to death to hear his immediate curses in TS was good for a laugh, and the one on one duel between the Juggernaut tank and the Assassin tank under a walkway had a fun 'There can be only ONE!' feel to it as the taunts flew back and forth between us in voice during the entire duel.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I somehow broke 200k healing in huttball on my 35 operative. I guess the stars alligned and everyone decided not to LoS me at every possible chance.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You can scroll up the first quickbar to another one. So I have my pvp bar and my pve bar. It switches back to number one each time you zone, so be sure to hit it.

My pvp bar has throw huttball, and all the fast cast stuff on it plus the pvp heal packs.

Oh, Fexhie can and does die.

I had people surprised that in the Alderaan capture point map, death/respawn costs your team five points. Need to keep people alive/kill opponents for tight games.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    Where the fuck is my Sarlacc Pit PVP warzone?

Also, only 3 warzones at launch seems terribly low. I would love to have a standard deathmatch warzone, maybe another Huttball warzone, A few more CP Warzones.

How did Bioware think that this would be enough? Did they expect their PVP to crash and burn?

Also there is almost no reward or incentive for World PVP. On my pvp server you can catch the medical droid back to town, and in the times that world pvp happens to take place inside a town with neutral guards, Sith can just spam respawn at the medical center, leading to an unending pvp battle where one side just has to get back to questing or run away.

I wouldn't mind getting some valor points or anything though.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I use my other mo
    grouch993 wrote:
    You can scroll up the first quickbar to another one. So I have my pvp bar and my pve bar. It switches back to number one each time you zone, so be sure to hit it.

My pvp bar has throw huttball, and all the fast cast stuff on it plus the pvp heal packs.

I had people surprised that in the Alderaan capture point map, death/respawn costs your team five points. Need to keep people alive/kill opponents for tight games.

Do you mean the bottom quickbar and the top quickbar? I don't see an option to scroll to another bar. Which would be super nice for different specs.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I use my other mo
    grouch993 wrote:

Do you mean the bottom quickbar and the top quickbar? I don't see an option to scroll to another bar. Which would be super nice for different specs.

The scroll option only works if you don't have the central toolbar expanded to two rows. He's scrolling between the top and bottom central bars, instead of using both of them at once.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    So after hitting 50 and finishing up the last few missions of my story, I promptly went into Ilum to see what that place was all about. All I had heard about it beforehand was through BW previews, mostly explaining it as an endgame/PVP planet. Unless I missed things somehow, it appears that there's about 4 PVE based dailies and 1 war effort PVP daily/weekly that you can do. I wasn't naive enough to think there wouldn't be an endgame daily grind in this game, so it's not that much of a let down. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something about the planet.

Also, it appeared that on Shadowlands, there was pretty much an unspoken truce between the two factions. I was able to finish the weekly without any resistance. I was even passed by a group of reds who didn't even stop to scare me. I'm not complaining, I just find it funny that people would rather just get the grind over with than mess with it. Granted, there are so few 50's, the place is going to be a ghost town for awhile, so that has a large reason to do with it, I'm sure.

The pvp area in Ilum is just poorly designed, so attacking you would only set people back in their goal. They see YOU and they want YOU to go cap points they capped (or swap in the same spot if you are smart).

The zone is just WAY to big to bother playing it as an actual PVP area. Why the fuck would you want to ride your speeder for five minutes to maybe find a couple people for a quick skirmish and then have them leave and not cap the spots you need to complete your daily?

I absolutely love the look of the pvp area, but its just not practical with its massive size. There is also no locking out of capture points, so anyone at anytime can go ninja a spot thats a good long ass speeder drive away from you. So even if you had a big 50 vs 50 fight or something, it would involve a ton of traveling and NOT pvping.

So instead, people complete the daily/weekly as quick as they can so they can go queue up for actual PVP in warzones.

For the record I have gotten into a few fights in the Ilum pvp area. All it did was prove why its not worth fighting in that zone at its current state. We killed a group of republic players, then we had to wait around for a long time while they rode back to cap points. If the zone was smaller and you couldn't cap points out of order, then suddenly it would be a real things to participate in.

(I realize there are speeder flight paths for each side, but even using those requires you ride for a long time to get anywhere)

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    You're not going to get a standard deathmatch warzone almost certainly. I've never seen one of those in an MMO. Do they exist anywhere?

Also WoW launched with zero battlegrounds, so they're doing much better in that regard.

World PVP being an unending warzone is absolutely spot on though.

SniperGuy wrote:
    You're not going to get a standard deathmatch warzone almost certainly. I've never seen one of those in an MMO. Do they exist anywhere?

Also WoW launched with zero battlegrounds, so they're doing much better in that regard.

Deathmatch as in a free-for-all area? Cause WoW has the Gurubashi (spelling?) arena thats FFA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

Deathmatch as in a free-for-all area? Cause WoW has the Gurubashi (spelling?) arena thats FFA.

That's correctly spelled, and I believe there's a Free-for-all area on Tatooine.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I use my other mo
    grouch993 wrote:

The scroll option only works if you don't have the central toolbar expanded to two rows. He's scrolling between the top and bottom central bars, instead of using both of them at once.

Yes, I have center, bottom center, and right toolbars shown. Then guess the left bar is available? On the right side of the center toolbar is a +/- that will cycle through them.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Thank you Basil!

Does anyone have any specific experience with playing as a Merc, or Marauder? I've looked at all the abilities I have, and tried to figure out how practical they are in PvP. I may not know until I just get in there and do it. I know one that worries me is the Merc's channeling abilities. All the high damage stuff I channel, which means I can't move, so...yeah...

Bobble wrote:
    Badwrong wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

That's correctly spelled, and I believe there's a Free-for-all area on Tatooine.

Those are world areas, not battlegrounds/warzones.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    3lwap0 wrote:
    Thank you Basil!

Does anyone have any specific experience with playing as a Merc, or Marauder? I've looked at all the abilities I have, and tried to figure out how practical they are in PvP. I may not know until I just get in there and do it. I know one that worries me is the Merc's channeling abilities. All the high damage stuff I channel, which means I can't move, so...yeah...

Commando/Mercernary is one of the worse pvp classes, honestly. Sage/Sorcerer outclasses them in every way, having more mobility, utility, and cc as both damage and healer.

Things are just starting out and we'll see how things change around as the patches roll by, but right now I'm shelving my Mercernary to play Vanguard.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    There are plenty of good things about Commandos and Mercenaries.

They are easily one of the hardiest healing classes and fairly strong DPS wise, although if you get dogpiled on a Commando/Merc you are pretty much done for. Sure you can limp away, usually, but that isn't going to stop a lot of people.

Sage/Sorc is fantastic in every way when it comes to mobility but as a almost-decked-out Sith Warrior (Champion Gear) I tend to murdergrind Sages into dust. Even the ones geared in the same fashion. It takes a massive amount of effort to screw with a Merc and kill them when both of the people have full pvp gear. The biggest complaint from every Merc is just how flat out stupid Tracer Missile looks and you're pretty much reliability on that one skill to kill anything. One interrupt and you are standing there wondering what is going on.

I've seen really great Mercs that have outhealed Sages just due to surviving things that Sage's cant.

The only thing I can surmise from all my pvp time is that: Merc/Commando dps seems boring as hell. Tracer missile tracer missile tracer missile next target "OH SOMEONE IS ON ME KNOCKBACK" tracer missile tracer missile tracer missile. Sages just seem to have a ton more to do. Not to mention that Huttball is the realm of Sages/Sorcs pulling people with wreckless abandon along with the Powertech a-holes.

• CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    Cycling through hotbar does not switch to left/right/bottom, it actually grabs a hotbar out of thin air. Right is permanently odd things in my setup (quick travel), left is actual keybindings, bottom is actual keybindings and my top bar is switched from PvE to PvP with the click of a specific keybinding. Since the game isn't up I can't log in and see how I actually configured that, but it is not cycling between any of the four standard bars.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote:
    3lwap0 wrote:
    Thank you Basil!

Commando/Mercernary is one of the worse pvp classes, honestly. Sage/Sorcerer outclasses them in every way, having more mobility, utility, and cc as both damage and healer.

Things are just starting out and we'll see how things change around as the patches roll by, but right now I'm shelving my Mercernary to play Vanguard.

I'm not one to complain about early PvP balance so I've stopped running my Commando (Healing spec) out into the meat grinder until things get smoothed out a bit. Right now I've got a four sec stun on a one min CD, a knockback on a 30 sec CD, and a 1 min CD stun with a 2 sec cast which break on damage, so it's useless for PvP.

The weird thing is that the DPS Commando build gets better control. They get a talent that makes their melee attack a knockback(!) and reduces the CD on their other KB to 20 sec(!) as well as a talent that makes their high damage cast ability put a shield up on them.

Healing as a commando is very touch and go until you get your full toolbox. Don't get Trauma Probe til 30 and no instant heal until 40. No shield at all unless you count a use of Supercharge Cells, which is mediocre at best.

So far I find that I can slap out a couple of nice heals, and then the Sith death brigade get on top of me and there's no getting them out of my delicate nether parts until I respawn. :)

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

SniperGuy wrote:
    Those are world areas, not battlegrounds/warzones.

Oh you mean the ruleset for deathmatch, as in the first team to a certain number of kills would win.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    Calixtus wrote:
    Cycling through hotbar does not switch to left/right/bottom, it actually grabs a hotbar out of thin air. Right is permanently odd things in my setup (quick travel), left is actual keybindings, bottom is actual keybindings and my top bar is switched from PvE to PvP with the click of a specific keybinding. Since the game isn't up I can't log in and see how I actually configured that, but it is not cycling between any of the four standard bars.

Best I can tell, you can't have a 2nd bar to cycle to if you have all 4 bars activated. I didn't have that option, then I turned off the left bar and it made it available after that.

Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote:
    3lwap0 wrote:
    Thank you Basil!

Mercs are fine in PvP for the most part, the only class that I really have no chance against is the Operative, but Operatives are OP so I don't see that as a fault with the Merc class. What Mercs really need is a targeted leap as a means of escape from people in melee that are punching you.

• RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    But Mercenaries have an AoE knockback. That's the best 'get the fuck off of me' ability that a class can have.

Completely anecdotal, but all of the mercenaries/commandos I've seen at higher levels are completely devastating. Just earlier tonight, two level 30ish Marauders (myself being one of them) beat on a lvl 50 commando for over a full minute (I know, because force choke came back off cooldown) and he managed to heal to full several times in that period. This was after multiple sets of chain heal interrupt > stun > incapacitate between the two of us. We would get him down to a sliver of health, then run out of interrupts and he would heal back up in seconds.

They seem in a much better place than the medium armor healers, as they have more defensive options. Also, I can't overstate how important knockback abilities are. Either knockbacks, or grabs/leaps are so crucial to winning huttball it isn't even funny.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    Yeah, I have throw huttball tied to E. It works wonders really.

I also have q bound to 'target nearest enemy' which is a godsend in pvp as a short range character. (I disabled keyturning and made A/D strafe)

This is awesome! I had made A/D strafe a long time ago but for some stupid reason it was an epiphany when I read this that they were available. I've been so busy working finding the best bindings to #, ctrl+# and alt+# that I completely forgot. I actually have the 'target nearest enemy' on a mouse button for my thumb but I would much prefer this.

I'm playing a Sith Assassin and up till now (under lvl 40) I have been focusing on item mods where willpower is higher than endurance mostly. Going forward though, I'm thinking of going for item mods with more endurance than willpower. I'm worried about not putting out enough damage in pvp. In huttball, which seems to come up way too often, I try to use the mind control/mass mind control/guard while running with the ball carrier. Though it tends to lead to a much shorter lifespan and not as much successful help. Has anyone tried building a more tanky route with the assasin or equivalent jedi?

Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    But Mercenaries have an AoE knockback. That's the best 'get the fuck off of me' ability that a class can have.

Completely anecdotal, but all of the mercenaries/commandos I've seen at higher levels are completely devastating. Just earlier tonight, two level 30ish Marauders (myself being one of them) beat on a lvl 50 commando for over a full minute (I know, because force choke came back off cooldown) and he managed to heal to full several times in that period. This was after multiple sets of chain heal interrupt > stun > incapacitate between the two of us. We would get him down to a sliver of health, then run out of interrupts and he would heal back up in seconds.

They seem in a much better place than the medium armor healers, as they have more defensive options. Also, I can't overstate how important knockback abilities are. Either knockbacks, or grabs/leaps are so crucial to winning huttball it isn't even funny.

Most classes have an AoE knockback? Which I use more for sending people into acid or fire than actually escaping. The Mercenary functions best as a turret, and our main damage ability (as arsenal) is a 1.5s cast. Also jet boost is affected by resolve so a lot of the times I'll go to use it and nothing happens. Having something like disengage or force leap would maybe put Mercs in about the right spot balance wise.

And I think Mercs are one of the classes that is most dependant on positioning and people being unaware of you, so you can wreck face, or get absolutely wrecked if there's an Operative looking out for you.

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    All this tslk about useless classes in Huttball/pvp in general are completly forgetting Sniper/Gunslinger for most useless.

They are litterally damage turrets extremly reliant on cover with little to no utility.

Thankfully, it's so bad people ignore me and I do all the damages pewpew.

I dunno, I have snares and knockbacks and I'm top kills and close to top in damage in 90% of matches and I'm only level 25. I can burst people down almost as fast as an assassin but I can kill 2-3 people in a row instead of 1.

In huttball I kill healers and anyone else I see, CC people when they walk over fire traps and use my knockback for the purposes god intended, and if we need another body to push for a score I can always do that. Honestly no-one is useless if they know how to pass.

In the other two maps I make myself a *giant* pain in the ass for the other team. I honestly wonder when people are going to wise up and start killing snipers before other classes. There will be an even fight with a ball of melee folks and healers and I just set up shop 35 meters away and 90 seconds later four people on the other team are dead and my team can finish off the objective. When I get rushed I CC then (depending on the attackers class) either kill them or run and set up somewhere else. Outside of huttball I usually only die once or twice because people tend to ignore me.

I love my sniper. Even more since I have snipers nest and that alacrity boost thing. I'm like a chainsaw. 100% crit snipe buff, snipe, abmush, snipe, snipe, adrenaline boost, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe :D

edited January 2012
    Sigh.... They'll never do it, but for fucks sake, I wish there was a god damn mercy rule in Huttball. When you're down 6-0 with 8 minutes still left on the clock, just end it. I'd like to get some points out of it, but once people start getting rolled it just turns into a cycle of deserters, afk-ers, and wannabe rambos. Any help and coordination I try to provide is met with crickets, so there is literally 0 reason to stay.

This isn't WSG/AV. There is no quick losses.

Edit: My only hope is BW sees the stats on there end and realizes that this shit is happening.

I fully understand the "queue with guildies" argument that'll prob be thrown my way. And I do, often in fact, despite the fact that group pvp'ing is actively punished by the game (regroup after every match! LOLWUT?!). It just sucks that it's turned into "unless you go in with a team you're going to get rolled" for Shadowlands Repub side.

Decoy on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm especially fond of teams in Huttball that recognize a steamroll, and instead of finishing the game (it ends when they get to 7, right?) they'll hold the ball and farm kills/medals

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    Sigh.... They'll never do it, but for fucks sake, I wish there was a god damn mercy rule in Huttball. When you're down 6-0 with 8 minutes still left on the clock, just end it. I'd like to get some points out of it, but once people start getting rolled it just turns into a cycle of deserters, afk-ers, and wannabe rambos. Any help and coordination I try to provide is met with crickets, so there is literally 0 reason to stay.

But huttball DOES have a mercy rule.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited January 2012
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Decoy wrote:

But huttball DOES have a mercy rule.

Which is? Leaving with 0 consequence?

I left as they scored the 6th, so if it's 6-0 then ok.

Edit: Well, after reading some, it sounds like it is 6-0 and I shouldve just waiting 5 seconds. Oh well. Now I know.

Decoy on
  • skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    6-0 huttball has always resulted in an immediate win/loss. i assumed that was a mercy rule.

edited January 2012
    Meh, like I said, I should've spawned instead of leaving as they scored. Considering the crap rewards for losing, I didn't miss much.

Edit: And man, I'm really thinking about dropping Armormech for Biochem. Seems like that makes more sense for someone who pvp's more than pve at this point.

Decoy on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Basically every profession is worth dropping for Biochem. My max level artifice gives me absolutely nothing that I don't already have better of from PvE drops or PvP gear - whereas I could have a permanent significant buff to whatever stat, endless HP stims, and the adrenals to go along with it.

Alas, I will keep my worthless profession in hopes that it gets something useful in the future.

Six is the maximum points you can score in Huttball. It's not a mercy rule, you need 6 points to win.

• CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    Gnutson wrote:
    Calixtus wrote:

Best I can tell, you can't have a 2nd bar to cycle to if you have all 4 bars activated. I didn't have that option, then I turned off the left bar and it made it available after that.
    The secret - now that I've actually looked at my settings - is to use Quickslot bar 5 to the one you cycle to.

This gives you one "spare bar" to switch to, which isn't much, but it helps.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    Calixtus wrote:
    This gives you one "spare bar" to switch to, which isn't much, but it helps.

That actually would help quite alot, thanks for the tip! I'll look for that tonight.

Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
    Added some tips and guides to the OP