As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Comic: Wednesday, Dec 28, 2011 - Real Talk

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    As far as I'm aware you're looking at the wrong Twitter account, he changed names (again) and someone swooped on the old one (again).

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanDeepSea is the current account used by Paul, the biggest indicator when this has happened is the number of followers, 20k+ on the real account, <1k on the fakes.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Wow, he actually spelled a twitter handle correctly. I'm impressed.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    And you guys thought he wouldn't learn anything from this fiasco.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I do like how Gabe is basically the "internet villain" in the MSNBC story, even though the only thing he did was react, which then forced Kotaku and other gaming news sites to get off their butt and actually use the e-mails sent to them. Even in the initial Kotaku topic seems to freely admit that they were going to sit on this until Gabe brought it up.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    So, I found this link: http://m.examiner.com/video-game-industry-in-national/ocean-marketing-gaming-pr-rep-to-avoid-at-all-cost

And the more I read, the more it seems like David Kotkin as almost as big of a douche as Paul Christoforo.

For example:
    First, upon googling the phone number Eli Schwartz provided me last night via his gmail account (Note: Despite working with David Kotkin on The Avenger controller, he does not have an avengercontroller.com email address such as david@avengercontroller.com for Kotkin or Info@avengercontroller.com as utilized by Christoforo) to contact David, I discovered that on Amazon David Kotkin was on a bit of uneven footing not that long ago on 11.24.11, prior to yesterday's events with Paul Christoforo and Ocean Marketing. Scrolling down beyond the 1-star review reveals comments from David Kotkin's Gaming Pro Amazon user profile to other users. Notably, according to user C. K. Ahlstrom, "There's a review on your account saying that you bought one of these things (and loved it). Now your posting with an email account from avengercontroller.com and offering support for it? You also posted the same negative review for three of your competitors products. I wonder if amazon will want to know you post reviews for your own product while posing as a customer." Looking deeper into the Gaming Pro user, thanks to cached reviews shows that David Kotkin's Gaming Pro user profile does indeed try to derail his competition while lauding his own Avenger product, but this appears to be the tip of the iceberg.

And also:
    Delving into the credibility of Eli Schwartz came back a bit suspiciously as his Twitter account has only been in service since May 16th of this year and seems to only have been created solely as a shell account to push The Avenger product. Additionally, at further glance of Eli's Facebook and Google+ accounts neither of which show a picture of Eli and smacking of poor grammatical and syntax uses that would be common to a high school age kid (which his Facebook lists him as attending East Longmeadow High School in Massachusetts), it's also been made apparent in the last day or so that Paul Christoforo also lacks a solid command of written language as well evidenced by his online postings. As far as location data, that can be added in a status update bar and can be easily faked if need be via the Facebook web interface. Furthermore, Schwartz lists his profession as DJ, which raises questions why exactly David Kotkin would allow a high school age DJ to work damage control PR for his product in the wake of Ocean Marketing, especially when having Eli send out PR releases from a gmail account as opposed to a avengercontroller.com account would only weaken his position. Finally, adding insult to injury, even Eli Schwartz's 5 star Amazon review for The Avenger on Nov 29, 2011 smacks of other reviews illustrating Ocean Marketing's signature touch.

While I'm sure David Kotkin may have great intentions when creating The Avenger initially, there is just too many fishy things that are slowly adding up since the Ocean Marketing fiasco came to light yesterday

And also all of this. Although it could be viewed as confirmation of what I already suspected - that Paul Christoforo is David Kotkin's fuck-up friend that he's trying to help out:

http://i.imgur.com/vpCVO.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    And the more I read, the more it seems like David Kotkin as almost as big of a douche as Paul Christoforo.

The moral of the story is that the internet is full of dicks. Both figuratively and literally
    Thankfully we have Mike to be a dick to the dicks

Mike is Batman
    He's the hero we deserve, etc

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    He's the Spartacus to all us wage slaves?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    Mike is Batman

I'm not sure about that. Are you sure he isn't the hero we need? Or something?

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:
    Cambiata wrote:

The moral of the story is that the internet is full of dicks. Both figuratively and literally
    Thankfully we have Mike to be a dick to the dicks

Mike is Batman

In this scenario, though, I find it most unfortunate because I really, really, really wanted to get behind the company that made a gaming device for those with controller issues. It's a niche market and a tough sell, so they faced enough hurdles as it is without this kind of PR shitstorm.

But as the smoke continues to clear, you see David and his buddy Paul who were totally okay with this kind of embarrassment costumer service and shady review practices... until they got caught.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Turambar wrote:
    Mike is Batman

I'm not sure about that. Are you sure he isn't the hero we need? Or something?

Something like that

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KeiosKeios Registered User regular
    I apologise if this has been posted before, but how could you possibly doubt the professionalism of a company like this one?

125 employees? Maybe if you drop the 1. Then divide by 5.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Edit: Wrong thread...

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK, press release FINALLY. They're doing almost every thing that I thought they should have been doing from the begining, except give a donation to Child's Play, though I suppose nobody's perfect:
    AVENGER CONTROLLER DISMISSES MARKETING CONSULTANT,

TAKES BACK MARKETING AND SALES OPERATIONS

Miami, FL--- Wednesday, December 28, 2011--- N-Control, makers of the Avenger Controller accessory, have categorically dismissed third party contractor Paul Christoforo and his marketing operation, known alternately as Ocean Distribution or Ocean Marketing. This separation from Mr. Christoforo extends to all business interests of N-Control, its founders, and its officers. Mr. Christoforo does not and never did own, in whole or in part, a stake in N-Control LLC nor its affiliated companies (Kotkin Enterprises, iControl LLC).

Following the publication of an email chain between Mr. Christoforo and one of N-Control’s customers, punctuated by Mr. Christoforo’s acknowledgement of his conduct, N-Control immediately proceeded to extricate Mr. Christoforo’s access to their email and social media accounts, a process that is still ongoing. In the interim, a Gmail address and Twitter account (AvengerDefender@gmail.com and @AvengerDefender, respectively) have been set up for press inquiries and customer service needs.

David Kotkin, the inventor and founder of the Avenger Controller, created the product to help one of his students who had a physical disability. The student wanted to play games the way that everyone else could. The Avenger evolved from a homemade solution for a deserving child into an even more sophisticated controller accessory, capable of enhancing even the most skilled gamer’s performance.

“Everyone deserves the opportunity to be a part of the gaming community in a fun, positive way.” said David Kotkin, Avenger founder. “I created the Avenger to make people happy. I deeply regret that so many people have any negative feelings toward it as a result of what has happened, especially since I’ve seen first-hand what an impact it can have on gameplay.”

Kotkin continued, “What I’m most concerned about is doing right by our customers. We have dropped the ball by giving them delivery estimates that did not come through as expected. We didn’t expect that the demand would be so great, and we should have done a better job communicating that. Our new team is taking all necessary action to correct that going forward. I hope that people will give us a chance to earn back the faith they may have lost.”

All existing orders will be honored, and PS3 Avenger pre-order customers will all be extended the same $10 discount that some have already received. To clarify, customers who have already received $10 off their pre-order are not eligible for an additional discount. N-Control agrees with “Customer Dave” that all of our PS3 early adopters deserve to be rewarded for their trust in the Avenger.

N-Control would like to publicly apologize to existing and potential customers, as well as the gaming community at large, for allowing Mr. Christoforo to abuse his power so unforgivably. The Avenger was invented to provide greater accessibility to disabled gamers, and bullying tactics are the last thing that should be associated with this product.

In the effort to dispel various misconceptions that have been forwarded via news reports and social media, N-Control is offering the following clarifications on a variety of subjects:

N-Control has hired an independent consultant, Austin, Texas-based Moisés Chiullan (@moiseschiu), to field press inquiries and oversee sales and marketing operations going forward. They ask that customers and the press alike bear with them as they field the tens of thousands of emails and other messages that N-Control has received. It is his intent that N-Control should respond personally to everyone who has emailed theinfo@avengercontroller.com address regarding this situation.

“We have to move forward and take care of Avenger’s customers,” Chiullan said. “I can’t worry about the fact that there isn’t a bus big enough for me to throw Paul Christoforo under. The internet did that for me. I think they set him on fire too.” He continued, “I just hope that people will have the common decency to leave his wife and child out of all this. They didn’t send those emails, Paul did.”

All PS3 Avenger pre-orders are currently slated to ship by January 15th at the latest. Some orders will ship in advance of January 15th. In consideration of the events of the past two days, N-Control ask their customers to bear with them as they sort out updating individual order estimates. General updates regarding shipping will be regularly delivered to customers starting next week.

At no time during his tenure with N-Control did Mr. Christoforo have direct access to customer credit card information. N-Control does not retain any customer credit card data for online orders, which are all processed via Google Checkout or Paypal.

Ocean Marketing aka Paul Christoforo owns no stake in the Avenger Controller nor N-Control, and does not stand to profit from further sales of the device either through N-Control or authorized resellers.

Contrary to how Mr. Christoforo may have presented events (in public or private), N-Control never directly endorsed nor had knowledge of his communication with customers in the manner found in his correspondence with “Customer Dave”, who still wants his Avengers, despite everything that has transpired.

Steps have been taken to ensure that all future customer communication is transparently visible to management at N-Control. N-Control regrets sincerely that the trust they placed in Mr. Christoforo was so abused and betrayed and, as a result, may have tainted their reputation with existing and potential customers and partners.

Regarding “Afternoon Artists”, a company registered with the Florida Division of Corporations that lists Paul Christoforo as Treasurer, N-Control has the following statement: “This secondary business has never so much as opened a bank account, much less operated in any form outside of paperwork being filed. It was originally intended that Mr. Christoforo would serve as an investor in this company, which, again, has never operated in any capacity, nor will it in the future.”

N-Control employs Eli Schwartz as a part-time Social Media Consultant. He is an enthusiastic high school student who became one of the Avenger’s earliest super fans, meeting the founder at a trade show. Mr. Kotkin is proud to encourage the development of a bright, enthusiastic young person like Eli.

Eli Schwartz is not, however, in charge of Marketing or PR for N-Control. Previous news reports have credited him as Marketing Manager, a title Mr. Schwartz gave himself without the consent or advance knowledge or N-Control management. This occurred during the period of greatest upheaval following Mr. Christoforo’s dismissal, and N-Control regrets that this mixed messaging reached the public. All press inquiries and media requests should instead be directed to Moisés Chiullan at the AvengerDefender@gmail.com address.

Contrary to rumors and speculation, Eli Schwartz’s Twitter account is his own and not controlled by Paul Christoforo. Mr. Schwartz is a minor, and consequently, N-Control would appreciate the press and the public’s discretion in their dealings with him.

For the foreseeable future, N-Control’s official Twitter account will be “@AvengerControl”, as N-Control does not have access to “@NControlAvenger”. N-Control is not responsible for the content of any Twitter feeds associated with Paul Christoforo.

For the foreseeable future, N-Control requests that customers discontinue use of the toll-free phone number displayed on the AvengerController.com website, as well as any other means of contact found there. Instead, customers should direct communication to AvengerDefender@gmail.com. They ask for patience due to the events of the last two days. Keep an eye on @AvengerControl on Twitter for updates.

For more details regarding N-Control and Avenger Controller, contact press agent Moisés Chiullan, at AvengerDefender@gmail.com.

For more information, follow Avenger Controllers on Twitter: @AvengerControl

Apologized for letting the douche have so much power: check.
    Extended the discount to all pre-orders: check
    Apologized for the delays and gave firm information on what to expect: check.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha ha, the twitter acount seems to be pretty OK: https://twitter.com/#!/AvengerControl

I suggested a donation to Child's Play would be in order, and the answer was: That's happening, trust me

This tweet made me lol:

Also:

Cambiata on
  • Options
    oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Expectations:
    He said that he doesn't exactly feel like he's been hung out to dry, and that he is hopeful that the press release that is going to be put out ("they're going to put out a press release soon; I just got off the phone with them") will put him in a more positive light.

And then came the press release:
    I can’t worry about the fact that there isn’t a bus big enough for me to throw Paul Christoforo under.

Sad Trombone.

oddbill on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Uh oh, it looks like the dreaded bloggers are making their distaste for Mike known!

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7236&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. How smug the actual article is, how fucking dumb you come off when you advertise yourself as a "pansexual feminist wine aficionado", or the fact that only comments that support the column are allowed to be shown. Blaaarghgle.

GARME JURNALIZM

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sounds like something we don't need to give a fuck about in this thread

• Options
    Wow, that's because this isn't the right thread. There's like three of the goddamn things talking about Christoforo now. Whoops.

• Options
    Or any thread to be honest dude. Bloggers will be bloggers.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    oddbill wrote:
    Expectations:
    He said that he doesn't exactly feel like he's been hung out to dry, and that he is hopeful that the press release that is going to be put out ("they're going to put out a press release soon; I just got off the phone with them") will put him in a more positive light.

I can’t worry about the fact that there isn’t a bus big enough for me to throw Paul Christoforo under.

Sad Trombone.

Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing?

• Options

:^:

• Options
    edited December 2011

Gotcha. You can delete it if you think that's best, and I'll keep it in mind. :)

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    Not a problem at all buddy, thanks for understanding.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    oddbill wrote:
    Expectations:

Sad Trombone.

Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing?

The saddest thing is a retarded man who is blowharding and promising a broken career that it will be bigger than Steve Jobs' some day.

The saddest thing is a bro-douche who is told by the very industry he claims to work for that he will never be awesome.
    And then he opens his browser, and on the internet is a meme with all of his facebook pictures in it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That motto for the ocean marketing website really hits it spot on.
    "Your brand is no stronger than your reputation, and will increasingly depend on what comes up when you are Googled." - Allan Jenkins

I'm glad I caught on to all this. Mike did the right thing. Besides, he has "better shows" to go to anyway.

Also, that first panel face. High-Res wallpaper please.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Tss_fanTss_fan Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think its interesting that he has gone from claiming to 'know the guy' who runs pax east to stating "just today I talked to 'the guy' who ran the door at Pax east last year"

I wasn't at Pax East but based on the set up they have I don't think there was "a guy" who ran the door. Maybe he knows someone who volunteered to be a enforcer?

I know this type of guy is just a BS artist who counts on people not calling him on ANYTHING but is there even anyone he could have been referring to as 'the guy'?

Tss_fan on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    Oh bloggers, I still think dickwolves are super funny.

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "I will personally burn everything I’ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."

Best quote ever.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If only there was some way to keep this momentum going. Perhaps this will be the impetus of a great crusade against douchebags. Perhaps many generations from now our children and our children's children will pass down the legend of how the Great Douchebag Purge of 2012, where we finally triumphed over the vile corruption of Jersey Shore, began with a humble e-mail sent by the victim of douchebag who stood up and refused to back down.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    If only there was some way to keep this momentum going. Perhaps this will be the impetus of a great crusade against douchebags. Perhaps many generations from now our children and our children's children will pass down the legend of how the Great Douchebag Purge of 2012, where we finally triumphed over the vile corruption of Jersey Shore, began with a humble e-mail sent by the victim of douchebag who stood up and refused to back down.

Seems like a stretch. One could hope though!

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular

If anyone is going after Paulie D they'll have to get through me first!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Kushana wrote:
    Paul's problem is that he doesn't understand the difference between regretting his actions, and regretting his action's consequences. He regrets the threats to his family, his loss of face in the game community, and the reveal of his seeming lack of any PR skills.

This same thing could be said about Mike regarding a separate controversy, though.

• Options
    Let's not get into that

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I know it's supposed to be all about the Gabe Grinch/superhappy faces, but I really liked the Tycho face in panel 3.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:
    I like:
    "I don't know the mayor of Boston," he admitted. "That was taken totally out of context, I was just joking around. I am from Boston, though, and I know a lot of people who own clubs. I know some influential people, like the guy who runs the door at the convention center."

yeah this is my favorite. "I know some wiseguys, better wachout you don' get whacked, capisce??"

• Options
    djc6535djc6535 Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    I like:
    "I don't know the mayor of Boston," he admitted. "That was taken totally out of context, I was just joking around. I am from Boston, though, and I know a lot of people who own clubs. I know some influential people, like the guy who runs the door at the convention center."

yeah this is my favorite. "I know some wiseguys, better wachout you don' get whacked, capisce??"

I just don't get it... how can it be taken out of context when the entire email chain is posted. That IS the context. It is all of it

• Options
    SlothmanSlothman Registered User regular
    ewww gross his twitter account title is "We are a Premier Social Media Company and SEO Company" anytime someone tells me they specialize in SEO I can't help but think, this means you have no useful skill at all.

MMO Game Journals
    Slothman's Home Tree
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jwalk wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    I like:

Paulie C: Gangsta of the food court.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    djc6535 wrote:
    I just don't get it... how can it be taken out of context when the entire email chain is posted. That IS the context. It is all of it

Because he's an utter moron. The meaning(/spelling/order) of words is irrelevant him, just so long as he's saying words.

WNskB.jpg