Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

17475777980100

Posts

  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Easily the worst part of the job is how bitter and hateful you get towards special needs children. I mean it isn't their fault, but the attrition eventually wears you down.

    And you just want to beat them.


    beat them

  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    dear fucking god if I see one more void* in this stupid fucking program

    Hey, look. It is just void* because it doesn't know what you WANT.
    It wants to make you happy.
    It will be anything you want, baby.
    Anything.


    Programmer jokes all up ins.

    nevillexmassig1.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

    Now I'm actually curious

    No, because at level you wouldn't be using C++ anyway.

    Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

    Probably not in low level drivers (although you can do it that way), but many modern games are written in C++.
    So reinterpret_casts have their uses.

    nevillexmassig1.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

    Now I'm actually curious

    No, because at level you wouldn't be using C++ anyway.

    Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

    Probably not in low level drivers (although you can do it that way), but many modern games are written in C++.
    So reinterpret_casts have their uses.

    Yeah, big-time games are definitely one of C++'s strongholds, though it seems to be under attack for other native applications.

    Just out of curiosity, what is reinterpret_cast legitimately used for?

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Then again I've only ever worked in business apps and high level stuff, maybe there's some use in low level hardware/device driver programming or something?

    Now I'm actually curious

    No, because at level you wouldn't be using C++ anyway.

    Edit: to clarify I'm a C guy so I had to look up what this "reinterpret_cast" crap is.

    Probably not in low level drivers (although you can do it that way), but many modern games are written in C++.
    So reinterpret_casts have their uses.

    Yeah, big-time games are definitely one of C++'s strongholds, though it seems to be under attack for other native applications.

    Just out of curiosity, what is reinterpret_cast legitimately used for?

    Reinterpreting bit patterns.
    Or this is a good example:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/573294/when-to-use-reinterpret-cast
    Spoiler:

    nevillexmassig1.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    But yeah, I would agree with you then in general reinterpret_cast is for the devil

    nevillexmassig1.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely, that seems like a way to hack around a badly designed API more than anything else.

    But it does answer the question of why you couldn't just memcpy it.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely, that seems like a way to hack around a badly designed API more than anything else.

    But it does answer the question of why you couldn't just memcpy it.

    Yeah, my first thought of an answer was "The API is shitty and you can't change it" :P
    I.e. a lot of projects I've worked on. haha

    nevillexmassig1.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    So I spent about four hours last week shuffling equipment from one storage area to another, only to find out friday afternoon that the space I moved the equipment into is now being leased to someone else and the equipment has to be moved to yet another storage area. So I guess tomorrow instead of being a System Admin I'm going to be a Box Bitch instead.

    Raneados wrote: »
    so what SPECIFICALLY is the problem with my hole?
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    So while watching the Oscars my boss called me.

    Boss: Hey, have you checked the schedule for the week?
    Me: Not yet, but I checked my email 2 hours ago.
    Boss: Well what have you been doing?
    Me: Watching the Oscars.
    Boss: Oh? Do the Oscars put food on the table?
    Me: What?
    Boss: Exactly.

    I FUCKING DESPISE HIM.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Good god, what an asshole.

  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    ARGHGWGH!!!!!!

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    Like seriously

    What the hell

  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    I don't even know...

    This is the same boss who talked down to me about reporting a lot of miles for my bi-weekly report. Never mind the fact that he requested I display how many miles I drove for work or the fact that he set the schedule for such days of work.

    Nope, totally my fault that I have to drive 82 miles a day for work.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    What the

    He doesn't tell you the schedule until... the DAY you're supposed to be working? How in the world is that supposed to work

    Elsasig_zps24c013fe.png
  • AnosognosAnosognos Registered User regular
    I think you may actually have the worst job.

    Beemo_Controller.png
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    What the

    He doesn't tell you the schedule until... the DAY you're supposed to be working? How in the world is that supposed to work

    I will typically receive the schedule the very evening before that week of work.

    And this is still a loose schedule because he could immediately, and has in the past, thrown work on me. I'll finish up a case and be driving home when I will get this phone call:

    Boss: Hello?
    Me: Hey.
    Boss: Yeah, hey! How was work?
    Me: Okay.
    Boss: Good, good... So I'm gonna need you to go work with Jonathan right now.
    Me: I'm on the freeway, seven exits away from where he lives. I'm basically half-way home now.
    Boss: Hmm... Seems like you're gonna have to pull around than aren't you?
    Me: What?
    Boss: Yep, bye.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    This man is a colossal asshole. He puts Goatse to shame. I'm guessing not answering your phone after your off-duty is not an option?

    Elsasig_zps24c013fe.png
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    I'd wager on no.

    This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

    This is a man without rules.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • AnosognosAnosognos Registered User regular
    Beat him.

    Beemo_Controller.png
  • ZonugalZonugal Lord Paramount of the Trident HarrenhalRegistered User regular
    I must sleep now and dream through this cold rage.

    Littlefinger_sig_2.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'd wager on no.

    This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

    This is a man without rules.

    It seems like this is something the state agency that is funding you would probably want to know about.

    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • KochikensKochikens Lovely-Cuddle-Blanket-Stephen-Fry-Awesomer Registered User regular
    motherfucking coverletters

  • KochikensKochikens Lovely-Cuddle-Blanket-Stephen-Fry-Awesomer Registered User regular
    fucking word wizarding over here

    god damned making puns, sneaking that shit in

  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    New job is going well, it's a pretty good and fun job. I'm thinking about getting a second job on weekends to supplement my income a little but not sure if I should or not.

    facebook.pngsteam.pngyoutube.pngtwitter.png
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    Geez zon.. that's.. that's not right D:

    Kochikens wrote: »
    motherfucking coverletters

    They are terrible things.

    Junpei wrote: »
    New job is going well, it's a pretty good and fun job.

    good to hear! :D

  • rhylithrhylith Registered User regular
    I hate reaching the end of a project. This week is gonna be SO SLOW.

    Rhylith - <Shambler Milk> Horde Chogall
    League/XBL: Amalockh
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

    How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    So what fun things are there to do in Baltimore on a Tues/Wed night? Not really sure I want to drag my boss to the Inner Harbor but if there's a particularly good restaurant I could probably be convinced

    You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    There's a pretty kicking Brazilian steakhouse in the Inner Harbor.

    Stale, Nino and I did some serious damage there once.

    snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion." Hail, Satan!
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Usagi wrote: »
    So what fun things are there to do in Baltimore on a Tues/Wed night? Not really sure I want to drag my boss to the Inner Harbor but if there's a particularly good restaurant I could probably be convinced

    Go into the downtown area and get mugged/shot/beat up/car jacked/stabbed/sold drugs/peed on

    Not necessarily in that order.

    Also, go see the USCGC Taney in the Inner Harbor. The last ship floating that fought back during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Also my dad served on the ship during Vietnam.
    edit: well not on that ship while literally in Vietnam, but after serving 2 tours he got a better assignment

    300px-USCGC_Taney_%28WHEC-37%29_in_Baltimore.jpg

    Hunter on
  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    Hmm, that could work!

    You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    They made them different back then. I think it was built in 1935 or 1936. She's a beast.

    Edit: Wait, he may have actually been on that ship in Vietnam. I didn't realize that the ship was part of Operation Market Time to stop the smuggling of troops and supplies from north to south. I really should get him to record his service somewhere.

    Hunter on
  • ceresceres Love is in the battlecry Nevada, USASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'd wager on no.

    This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

    This is a man without rules.

    It seems like this is something the state agency that is funding you would probably want to know about.

    This is what I was thinking. This isn't typical "not good at being a manager" stuff you're describing, it's abuse.

    ceres on
    JohnDies_zpsfe6c609e.jpg
    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    What the

    He doesn't tell you the schedule until... the DAY you're supposed to be working? How in the world is that supposed to work

    I will typically receive the schedule the very evening before that week of work.

    And this is still a loose schedule because he could immediately, and has in the past, thrown work on me. I'll finish up a case and be driving home when I will get this phone call:

    Boss: Hello?
    Me: Hey.
    Boss: Yeah, hey! How was work?
    Me: Okay.
    Boss: Good, good... So I'm gonna need you to go work with Jonathan right now.
    Me: I'm on the freeway, seven exits away from where he lives. I'm basically half-way home now.
    Boss: Hmm... Seems like you're gonna have to pull around than aren't you?
    Me: What?
    Boss: Yep, bye.

    wow. I've worked with some hardcore Type-A workaholics before, but that sets a new high score

  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Slider wrote:
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

    How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

    you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

    and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

    How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

    you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

    and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

    What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

    Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

  • JayKaosJayKaos TWIN FIST SAW CLAWSRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

    How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

    you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

    and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

    What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

    Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

    Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

    How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

    you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

    and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

    What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

    Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

    Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

    Hence decision tree. For a meh to average looking female co-worker, it's not worth the hassle. For say Kate Upton or Mila Kunis...I'd be at least willing to entertain strategies.

    It's not a doormat, it's a battle plan.

This discussion has been closed.