As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    So what fun things are there to do in Baltimore on a Tues/Wed night? Not really sure I want to drag my boss to the Inner Harbor but if there's a particularly good restaurant I could probably be convinced

Scores

For reals though, go to the little Italy area near the inner harbor. Or if you have a car, go to paper moon cafe, awesome diner type foods and the place has awesome tchotchkes on the walls

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

How do you solve the bossy female co-worker problem?

I'm guessing "behave professionally" isn't an option for you.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Evidently, one month is the time it takes for my female co-workers to become comfortable with flirting with me at work. The downside is that it is annoying and they take pleasure in bossing me around.

Broads...am I right?

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    well, it's been a day since the interview (on friday) little nervous.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you'd be amazed at how much easier workplaces become if you treat women as people instead of things you have at least a puncher's chance at seeing naked

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:

you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

Hence decision tree. For a meh to average looking female co-worker, it's not worth the hassle. For say Kate Upton or Mila Kunis...I'd be at least willing to entertain strategies.

It's not a doormat, it's a battle plan.

Yeah but what I'm saying is for even the latter cases your strategies should not include 'doing whatever they say at work'. Doing a few favors, sure, but letting them boss you around should never be part of the plan.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If there's a PA job board, I'll repost it there, but my company is looking for experienced Cisco UC engineers for contract in the Atlanta metro area on a 1099 basis. It's not permanent (right now), but it's better than nothing.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Jasconius wrote: »
    you'd be amazed at how much easier workplaces become if you treat women as people instead of things you have at least a puncher's chance at seeing naked

That's a good tactic for pretty much all of life.

My wife knows my list of women I would have to leave her for if they ever came to my front door begging for my dick. Jessica Alba. That was a few years ago, I may need to update.

Wait, no, she's still hot.
    Mysst wrote: »
    Slider wrote:

you ask "Are we fuckin'?"

and when they respond in the negative, tell them that is the only leverage they would have for telling you what to do.

What if the response was "not yet" or "maybe"?

Then you have to go through a decision process of risk vs reward based on type of work, her level of bossy, the rudeness of titties, and how hittable that ass is.

Yeah being a doormat is totally gonna increase your chances of sleeping with them while not ruining your job success at all. Great strategy.

Hence decision tree. For a meh to average looking female co-worker, it's not worth the hassle. For say Kate Upton or Mila Kunis...I'd be at least willing to entertain strategies.

It's not a doormat, it's a battle plan.

Yeah but what I'm saying is for even the latter cases your strategies should not include 'doing whatever they say at work'. Doing a few favors, sure, but letting them boss you around should never be part of the plan.

I don't know about that. Sometimes being bossed around is pretty hot. Maybe some light BDSM. Nothing to far, like Sasha Grey asking to be punched in the stomach or anything.

Hunter on
  • Options
    All well and good in private but you don't get there by doing all their work for them, is what I'm saying. I am of course basing this on little to no personal experience so feel free to ignore me.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm going to predict that you can't "get there" yourself at all if she is your boss.

The only way you're going to "get there" is if she's already decided you're going there and that has not much to do with kissing up to her.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    300px-USCGC_Taney_%28WHEC-37%29_in_Baltimore.jpg

Actually, one of the guys I work with is a former Taney CO

• Options
    edited February 2012
    necroSYS wrote: »
    If there's a PA job board, I'll repost it there, but my company is looking for experienced Cisco UC engineers for contract in the Atlanta metro area on a 1099 basis. It's not permanent (right now), but it's better than nothing.

I have two Cisco 2500s with out-dated IOS in my closet that I've never even logged into, because I don't have a USB to serial connector, and a couple of books on CCNE or CCNA or whatever that I've barely read any of. Good enough, right?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    necroSYS wrote: »

I have two Cisco 2500s with out-dated IOS in my closet that I've never even logged into, because I don't have a USB to serial connector, and a couple of books on CCNE or CCNA or whatever that I've barely read any of. Good enough, right?

Well, since UC is Unified Communications and you can't run any of those apps on ancient 2500-series routers, absolutely!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    goddamn do you guys know how to ruin an already bad joke

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    But I am in Atlanta.

Actually, you might wanna pm Stale. I think he's more likely to know folks in that industry here in Atlanta.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    whats the hardest problem i ever solved at my current job? uhhhhhhhh i dunno man

poo
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not murdering most of the management chain? Oh wait, that isn't a solution, it is just a compromise.

Actually if you can think of an example that would tie in to the position you are interviewing for it should help. Mention weighing different options and the reason your solution was good or bad. Plus mention short, middle and long term consequences of what you came up with. That should tell them you are able to think and put business interests into your decisions. Mention enough specifics so they understand. Ask if they want more details because you want to convey the information necessary for the decision without belaboring the point.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    whats the hardest problem i ever solved at my current job? uhhhhhhhh i dunno man

Go through your email and find any that were sent at 2 a.m., and start with that project.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Our recently fired sales manager used to send email at 2am all the time. Presumably just to give the illusion that he was working hard and late into the night.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote:
    Not murdering most of the management chain? Oh wait, that isn't a solution, it is just a compromise.

Actually if you can think of an example that would tie in to the position you are interviewing for it should help. Mention weighing different options and the reason your solution was good or bad. Plus mention short, middle and long term consequences of what you came up with. That should tell them you are able to think and put business interests into your decisions. Mention enough specifics so they understand. Ask if they want more details because you want to convey the information necessary for the decision without belaboring the point.

Yeah, good points.

poo
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    But I am in Atlanta.

Actually, you might wanna pm Stale. I think he's more likely to know folks in that industry here in Atlanta.

IT people? Hardware monkeys?

What am I? some peasant? I don't slum. I'm in software.

actually the only UC people I know of both work for google downtown.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Cisco VOIP/Contact Center engineers.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Our recently fired sales manager used to send email at 2am all the time. Presumably just to give the illusion that he was working hard and late into the night.

My previous boss used to say that if you have to work until the wee hours of the morning all the time, you're either bad at what you do or you should walk out and let the place fall apart without you to facilitate a promotion/raise.

I miss working for him. He was a real 'no bullshit' kind of guy and if you gave a real answer to why something isn't done or can't be done in the insane time constraints given to us by someone else, he had your back. If you tried to make dumb excuses, he called you out in front of the group.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Man I would really like a job again, glad I have some retail experience to put on my CV at least.

Just wanna save up and move out.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Clearly you didn't read that one Valentine's Day thread he made.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    An old lady asked me if she could adopt me today.

Thats the closest I get to being hit on at work!

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    only because I'm not there

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Today I have sent two emails and made a couple minor changes to some drawings.

In 9 hours.

I am so bored. Having nothing to do is a billion times worse than being really really busy.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    coverletterscoverletterscoverletterscoverletterscoverletters

• Options
    Ahh @Stale, if you visited me at work that would make my year! :D

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

I wouldn't assume you weren't being hit on, there are some pretty freaky old ladies out there.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

I wouldn't assume you weren't being hit on, there are some pretty freaky old ladies out there.

Huh, you know she had been telling me a tragic story about her dead husband!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hahahaaaaaaarghakfjdksjf fucking kill me

So I submitted my paperwork today so the feds can start the background investigation on me and I just got a call that they're putting a hold on it because I'm outside the drug policy

You have to have no marijuana use at all in the last 3 years, which I knew about and thought I was in the clear, but when I got to this paperwork I remembered one instance and was like, better be honest and put it down because if I omit it here I'll have to lie during the polygraph and getting a bad result on a poly is waaaaay worse than the drug use

And it was just barely less than 3 years ago by like, 2 months, but they absolutely don't let that slide

So they're gonna delay this for 2 or 3 months until the 3 year limit is up and then reactivate me, and hopefully I'll still get into training in the fall, but if not then they may have to give me a slightly later start date

I was just really ready for this whole thing to move along and now I'm just so mad
    Mostly at myself

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'd wager on no.

This is a man who mocked a coworker after she complained about one of our teenagers threatening to beat her to death with a steel bat in his hand.

This is a man without rules.

It seems like this is something the state agency that is funding you would probably want to know about.

This is what I was thinking. This isn't typical "not good at being a manager" stuff you're describing, it's abuse.

Yeah, things are pretty bad. And I wish there was someone higher than him but there isn't which means if any action is done I will likely be immediately out of a job.

But good news! I may be able to relocate to New Mexico to pursue pure, professional improv' comedy in a month or so. Hopefully that pulls through because if it does I am out of this job/work relationship.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh, but here is a nice story. Last week my friend worked with me at the camp and his main duty was driving one of the vans to the different field trip locations. He consistently got slack from my boss because he wouldn't be able to stay up with him on the freeway and such. It should be noted that each vehicle is full of special needs children, my boss is flooring it in his vehicle, he isn't using any turn signals and is breaking a whole slew of other traffic laws (like running through red lights.) But the biggest thing is that he wouldn't tell my friend where the field trip was located, so he'd force him to try to follow him.

Eventually this conversation took place over cellphones on the freeway.

Boss: Hey, where are you?
    Friend: Where am I? Where are you!?!
    Boss: Going to the field trip.
    Friend: Where?!? Where is that?
    Boss: That's on a need to know basis. Why can't you just keep up?
    Friend: Because if I do I'll be breaking the law.
    Boss: Don't worry, you get permission.
    Friend: What?
    Boss: You get permission to speed.
    Friend: WHAT!?! You can't give that.
    Boss: Don't worry, I used to be a cop. You have permission, now catch up.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i think your boss may legitimately have mental issues

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    I'm at least 40% sure my boss is a Ferengi.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    I'm at least 40% sure my boss is a Ferengi.

If you do end up moving, you really need to report him.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Dear job seekers,

Please research the company you're interviewing with before the interview. Or at least read the goddamn job description so you know which city we're hiring in.

Best,
    She who wasted an hour with this chump

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Being told you have potential is an amazing feeling 8->

This discussion has been closed.