As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I volunteered to go into work tomorrow, which is usually my day off. It is Mother's Day this Sunday (in the UK! @Janson, here is a reminder for you). It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it doesn't!

Hm. Damn.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dooooooomed, Liiya! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Options
    Customer: "Hi, yeah do you have any of those chrysanthemums that are like... *makes gesture* this shape?"
    Me: "Oh, you mean the spherical blooms? They're out of season I'm afraid to say. August to late October."
    Customer: "No no, not like that, ball-shape! Round, like a ball! That shape."
    Me: "Yeah. Spherical... Out of season!"

I thought "spherical" was a well-known word but my boss insists it is not. Hm.

I know - doooomed!

• Options
    One thing I've learned from working on a help desk is you can always be too technical for someone.

• Options
    You're right there.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    One thing I've learned from working on a help desk is you can always be too technical for someone.

assume everyone is an idiot

it generally works out that way

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

This is especially hilarious because my boss has had IT on speakerphone for the past hour and neither of them can figure out folder permissions

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Well, almost 3pm, the tiny optimist in me is thinking, "They're in meetings! They'll call later with all the great news!"

While the giant pessimist in me is thinking, "YOU LOSE. NO EXCITING JOB FOR YOU"

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »

This is especially hilarious because my boss has had IT on speakerphone for the past hour and neither of them can figure out folder permissions

What...

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    I thought "spherical" was a well-known word but my boss insists it is not. Hm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Well, almost 3pm, the tiny optimist in me is thinking, "They're in meetings! They'll call later with all the great news!"

While the giant pessimist in me is thinking, "YOU LOSE. NO EXCITING JOB FOR YOU"

This is one of my biggest problems. My advice? Do something else, right the fuck now. Whatever needs to happen to get your mind off of things is what you need to be cranking away on at this very minute.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    I used the word tertiary in a presentation once, one of the managers piped up and said I made up that word and that the proper word was "thirdly".

Warning to stupid managers out there: Don't try and call me on shit when I've got my laptop hooked up to the projector, or I will take the time to divert from my presentation to prove that you are an idiot.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I used the word tertiary in a presentation once, one of the managers piped up and said I made up that word and that the proper word was "thirdly".

Warning to stupid managers out there: Don't try and call me on shit when I've got my laptop hooked up to the projector, or I will take the time to divert from my presentation to prove that you are an idiot.

They called you out during a presentation?

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

This is one of my biggest problems. My advice? Do something else, right the fuck now. Whatever needs to happen to get your mind off of things is what you need to be cranking away on at this very minute.

Heh, that's all I'm doing! I'm at work so I'm trying to just focus on my list of responsibilities and different projects, but I've got my phone right near me and the itch to pick it up and look for missed calls/emails is too great, even if I put it in a drawer.

diofjsiodfjsdiojf. Dumb.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Just calm yer tits! They're probably so busy planning a welcoming party for you they forgot to call. Gotta order balloons.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Finally got my first email back from an employer, it was the really really long-shot application. But at least someone finally replied with a No sorry we're not hiring in this area instead of radio silence.

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Just calm yer tits! They're probably so busy planning a welcoming party for you they forgot to call. Gotta order balloons.

This seems unlikely!

Business day is over. OH WELL.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

We shall form a secret society of gentlemen waiting for job related phone calls. There will be a handshake. We will sob into our margaritas.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

get me their job now

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    What should I be looking for if I want to show my portfolio on an iPad2?

Right now it's made up of pdfs and jpegs....I suppose that I could make them all jpegs if needed. I was recommended "Foliobook", but wanted to see what else was out there.

Need a clean presentation that I can just tap into and then swipe to bring up the next thing. Anyone have recommendations or such?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What should I be looking for if I want to show my portfolio on an iPad2?

Right now it's made up of pdfs and jpegs....I suppose that I could make them all jpegs if needed. I was recommended "Foliobook", but wanted to see what else was out there.

Need a clean presentation that I can just tap into and then swipe to bring up the next thing. Anyone have recommendations or such?

I don't recall which one @Sheri wound up going with that I found, but it was either Foliobook or Portfolio for iPad and she was pretty pleased with the results.

Portfolio for iPad looks like it has an advantage for adding images since it integrates with Dropbox, but Foliobook seems to allow for greater customization of the landing page and navigation. They also have a Lightroom Plugin to more easily automate formatting images to suit the app's layouts.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Does it take PDFs or am I doing some crazy conversions?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I don't think either of'em accept pdfs out of the box. Probably have to do some kind of bulk conversion.

• Options
    Good deal. Thanks to you both!

• Options

Minimal Folio does PDFs. I haven't used it though.

• Options
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    the guys on my Dev team want to take me out for my birthday this month.

here's the kicker. I can't drink, and I can't eat. It's been so long since I've gone "out" and done.... anything.... I have no idea what to tell them. "Just tell us what you'd like to do."

how does an adult tell someone.... "I don't know how to have fun, it's been too long"

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Well come up with something because they must be super nice people or you've really got them fooled into thinking you're worth taking out!

Go to a strip club or something.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »

here's the kicker. I can't drink, and I can't eat. It's been so long since I've gone "out" and done.... anything.... I have no idea what to tell them. "Just tell us what you'd like to do."

how does an adult tell someone.... "I don't know how to have fun, it's been too long"

You don't.

You tell them, "We're going out? I require each of you to find appropriate head gear and padding sufficient to compensate for your tolerance for risk and injury. You'll also require a weapon of your own choice. What are we doing for my birthday? We are watching you fight to the pain for our amusement. That or just get a cake."

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

Thanks, Joe! I'll take a look at that as well.

Aww...got an email from them asking if I wanted to be put up in a hotel either tonight or tomorrow night. If I had more time, I would...but as it stands I have a lot of prep to do and wouldn't even leave for the hotel until around 10pm tonight.

Nice of them though.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

"Magic City"

• Options

Aww...got an email from them asking if I wanted to be put up in a hotel either tonight or tomorrow night. If I had more time, I would...but as it stands I have a lot of prep to do and wouldn't even leave for the hotel until around 10pm tonight.

Nice of them though.

Well tomorrow night would be OK, right?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I volunteered to go into work tomorrow, which is usually my day off. It is Mother's Day this Sunday (in the UK! @Janson, here is a reminder for you). It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it doesn't!

Hm. Damn.
    Thanks for the reminder! I shall order something soon... the only question is, flowers or chocolate?!

Also, re. this:
    Janson wrote: »
    We have a vendor who is causing us shipment problems because he says we owe them $28k

As far as we are aware we have paid for everything we have so far received, so I'm really trying hard to reconcile this as obviously $28k is a fair chunk of change

So I comb through our statements and I'm like 'oh we sent you $28k in October for this invoice, here's the wire information and reference number'

'No, your reference is wrong, your sales guy says this was $18k for this shipment and $10k prepayment on another order'

'Well, we in the finance department applied it to this invoice. Oh, here is an $18k payment we sent in December for your shipment. If you applied the $28k payment to the $18k invoice, can you please let us know what you applied the $18k payment to?'

'That is the point, we applied the $28k payment to the $18k shipment and the $10k prepayment, your memo field in the $18k wire is wrong'

THAT DOES NOT ANSWER MY ONE SIMPLE QUESTION

So I sent a crystal-clear spreadsheet showing the precise date and amount of the payments that left our bank, the invoice numbers we'd applied them to, and the shipments they applied to.

What we asked for was for them to confirm that they had received the same $ amount and to put a note as to what they'd applied the payments to.

This is what he replied:
    The reason why cause this confusion is because the wire info which told me by your sales guy is different from your payment record. The 10K is for deposit of PO which agreed by your sales guy.

Yes, we know the wire info our sales guy sent is different from our payment record this is why we are asking for what $ amounts your bank received from us

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I think I managed to tell my boss that he's bad at social interaction in a polite way this morning

I miss having fun at work

• Options
    I think I managed to tell my boss that he's bad at social interaction in a polite way this morning

What did you say? Mine needs to know that as well.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Hey, what do I wear to an interview at a piercing studio?

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

What did you say? Mine needs to know that as well.

'When you open your mouth, it makes me want to shut it. Forcibly.'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I suppose this is the most appropriate thread to ask "What can I do to help an item sell on Etsy?"

Cuz listing and waiting seems so. . . passive

• Options

Nice of them though.

Well tomorrow night would be OK, right?

It would, but the interview is tentatively over around 12:30pm and that means just hanging around NoVA for the night. While I'm ok with that...I can just as much drive home.

I also just received a note from the Delaware job asking if I want to drive down there on Friday to meet with them again. Uhhhh...no, not on Friday.

This discussion has been closed.