As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paranatural [chat]

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I got to try out 3 games I've never played before last week (in addition to playing a round of the excellent Martian Rails. we kept going until nearly 3 AM).

Sceptor of Zavendor, Outpost and Medicci. All were good times. Medecci is a very fast, simple auction game with a very elegant rule set. Seems like it would be great for when you have 30 minutes to kill between games or something.

Outpost is a sci-fi remake of Sceptor (with the original creators permission). I think the original is probably a slightly better game but they are both damn good. Output seems a bit more random and has a neater theme.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    fuck yeah sarks. If you move to the sensible part of the best coast then you should come by board game night or something.

Nah Seattle wouldn't work. I am my mother's primary caregiver so she would be accompanying me and due to Seattle's climate the barometric pressure is probably too low, which would inflame her condition.

If I found out it wasn't low barometric pressure and just pressure changes then I might be more receptive.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Scepter of Zavandor is probably my least favorite board game that I have ever played. Like, I'd rather play Risk or Monopoly.

I am sorry Riemann. I am afraid we must duel at dawn.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh man, I had delicious dinner. Chicken stuffed with cheddar and ham. Mac and cheese. Also the best part, roast asparagus. Olive oil, garlic, pepper and salt and baked. So delicious.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I think I hate Dark Souls! Who saw that coming? Oh. I did.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Scepter of Zavandor is probably my least favorite board game that I have ever played. Like, I'd rather play Risk or Monopoly.

Really? What was your issue? I've only played it once (with 4 people) but it seemed pretty interesting.

edit: oh and we had the big advantage of not having to learn the game from the manual as one of the players had played it a zillion times. The manual did seem pretty obtuse. Though not as bad as Phonecia.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    You know who has good french fries.

The cafeteria at the museum of natural history.
    i should have stolen some from you

Considering we had to split early and I had to throw the rest of them out, yes, you should have, there are people starving in Africa!

I'll do it when SiG comes to the east coast 2 weeks from now. Because she can't stay away. Because the east coast is the best coast

Coast are overrated. Mountains are better. The west has both of these. So it is by that fact it is superior.

You are clearly a good-looking person who knows what's what.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Nah I'm just gonna move to the west coast, then she won't have a reason to come here.
    Seriously, Sarks, if you want to come look for a place or even just visit, I have a couch you can crash on for several days.

I can even show you around a bit.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

• Options
    You guys are being too welcoming. You probably want to kill me and take my teeth.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

i need to get the fuck away from here before I hurt myself

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

Really? What was your issue? I've only played it once (with 4 people) but it seemed pretty interesting.

It was just intensely boring to me. It's like, the theme is basically non-existent, for some reason I'm a druid who collects gems to generate power so I can... bid against people on artifacts? Okay. But theme is only part of a game, sure. The gameplay itself however put me to sleep. It's just like, pure math. Investing in X gems costs Y points but will give Z payout over Q turns. Engines that get ahead get ahead more, engines that fail fail harder, the only player interaction is the bidding and I guess I personally find bidding to be really boring. It's just emphatically not a game that is for me.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hahaha

I sent my dad something of a simple pop-sci book about information theory for Christmas.

E-mails me back with "Did you know I wrote my Master's thesis on Shannon's theorem?"

:oops:

• Options
    tyrannus wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

Sorry, I'm too busy studying when you'll be here. :P

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    You guys are being too welcoming. You probably want to kill me and take my teeth.
    We don't want to kill you.

We just want a kidney.
    And some teeth.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

It was just intensely boring to me. It's like, the theme is basically non-existent, for some reason I'm a druid who collects gems to generate power so I can... bid against people on artifacts? Okay. But theme is only part of a game, sure. The gameplay itself however put me to sleep. It's just like, pure math. Investing in X gems costs Y points but will give Z payout over Q turns. Engines that get ahead get ahead more, engines that fail fail harder, the only player interaction is the bidding and I guess I personally find bidding to be really boring. It's just emphatically not a game that is for me.

Oh, yeah fair enough. All that is true I would just use different adjectives :)

Though if you ever have the chance give Cyclades a try. It's a game with an auction that I think might sell you on the mechanic because of all the other stuff.

pic694750_md.jpg

Also the newly reprinted Outpost is basicially sceptor but with a better job of theme and cooler art.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same
    I died once in the tutorial and needed to use all my potions on the boss. Go to the next place. No idea where to go from there. Run into a pair of skeletons. Got completely fucked. And it's going to keep doing this isn't it.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

You must at least persevere through Anor Londo, it's so ridiculously pretty. After that things go downhill quickly, but it really is pretty much the pinnacle in terms of fun, art, and challenge.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

hey I managed to pass all 4 parts first time so it was worth it!!

also I would visit regardless of you because I could go see SiG!!

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Hahaha

I sent my dad something of a simple pop-sci book about information theory for Christmas.

E-mails me back with "Did you know I wrote my Master's thesis on Shannon's theorem?"

I am surprised you haven't talked to your dad about his research and such. If I remember he does cool stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same
    I died once in the tutorial and needed to use all my potions on the boss. Go to the next place. No idea where to go from there. Run into a pair of skeletons. Got completely fucked. And it's going to keep doing this isn't it.

Every encounter is a fuckfest, Elendil. You have to be SITUATIONALLY AWARE, keep a hand over your balls and don't drop the soap.

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

Dude you are not even to the game yet. Also you are going the wrong way.

But srsly, that's like the point where skippy quit the first time too.

But then he got hooked like all the rest of us when he tried again.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Speaking of dueling at dawn I want a samurai vidja game that lets me fence/duel.

I want a parry button, stance options, grabs, holds, headbands, the works.

Basically just make a game based off of Duel at Ganryu Island

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

this game made me so mad

but it is good :l

• Options
    tyrannus you have a mans in my game

how long will you live that is the question

• Options
    Jason Bourne movies make using the Internet so exciting.

• Options
    Speaking of dueling at dawn I want a samurai vidja game that lets me fence/duel.

Isn't this that call of the sword game or whatever that was on the PS1?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

you need to right, not left

look for some undead soldiers

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

Well, unfortunately depending on which way you go from the starting area you can either run into skeletons that you basically can't kill or skeletons that aren't nearly as bad. You want to go
    On the path that goes up from the area with the bonfire. Not down the stairs or into the graveyard area.
    It's very possible to pick a starting class that just doesn't fit with how you play the game well, so you may want to re-pick:
    I played as a pyromancer first and really really didn't like it

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

how the fuck am i supposed to know i'm going the wrong way

it didn't tell me the right way

i found loot

that's the right way imo

• Options

Bushido blade?

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

Sigmund is in seattle?

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:

Bushido blade?

That game frustrated the hell out of me.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

i found loot

that's the right way imo

yeah, it's not a bad idea to make suicide runs into the graveyard for some decent gear and miscellaneous items

• Options
    They are destroying your pre-concepts, Elendil.

The loot was a dead animal over an Ewok net.

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

i found loot

that's the right way imo

Heh, yeah, I did the same thing, found some kinda ruins and phat loots, but then got murdered by skeletons. It really was pretty silly for them to only give extremely subtle hints about which way to go when two of the places you can go from the beginning are for WAY later.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Hahaha

I am surprised you haven't talked to your dad about his research and such. If I remember he does cool stuff.

I don't think I've ever talked about my dad's research here?

Anyway, I just forget, because these days he is a businessman and mostly does management (If I remember correctly I think he's actually VP of the company he's at now, but it's a super small start-up). I forget that he also happens to be a chemical engineer! Which is funny, because he works in medical devices nowadays.

You know, he also actually lived successfully as an independent day trader for a while too.

When I think about it he's actually kind of brilliant.

Oh shit, so much to live up to!

• Options
    Arch wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

Sigmund is in seattle?

Portland.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

it is hard dogg

if you preserver it gets

the same

i found loot

that's the right way imo

yeah, it's not a bad idea to make suicide runs into the graveyard for some decent gear and miscellaneous items

This is true.
    The winged spear you can pick up in the graveyard area makes a the first few areas easy mode, but it can teach you bad habits.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Arch wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    WHAT ABOUT ME THANATOS

Sigmund is in seattle?
    close enough I think

I don't know

This discussion has been closed.