As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LED monitor strange pixel behaviour

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
So I got an LED monitor for Christmas. Today I noticed on some websites, some pixels are flashing different colours on some images. It's not those specific pixels though, if I scroll so that location is on another pixel, that pixel does it as well.

Is this a stuck pixel issue? Is there software I can run to help sort the issue out?

-Loki- on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If it's different pixels then it's not a stuck pixel problem, because a stuck pixel is a stuck pixel, not multiple stuck pixels. That sounds super weird though, because the flashing tracking the picture rather than the monitor's pixels makes it sound like it's not a monitor problem. You're 100% sure that the websites aren't supposed to be flashing? What kind of flashing is it? Does it change colors, or go from normal to white and back, or from normal to black and back? Does it flash quickly or slowly? Does it flicker between one color and another, or fade smoothly?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I just went and played a game, and the problem is gone.

But it was flashing between colours. I only ever saw it today, and after playing half an hour of Space Marine, its gone.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The issue came back this morning. I figured I might try a different cable - I had it hooked up via HDMI cable, so I swapped to the VGA cable the monitor came with, which works fine. So hopefully the issue is all resolved now.

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Now that's strange, I'd have certainly been less surprised if the issue presented itself over VGA but resolved itself over HDMI.

Erik
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've seen issues like that before, where the text smoothing or something causes parts of some letters act really funky in certain cases.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I've seen issues like that before, where the text smoothing or something causes parts of some letters act really funky in certain cases.
    It is most likely the monitor's dithering being confused by a certain pattern. That's one of the pitfalls of using a 6-bit display (which includes basically every TN panel in existence).

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Since I swapped the cable over, I haven't seen the issue crop up anymore.

However, this does put a hamper on my plans to run two monitors. I was going to run my new monitor on the HDMI port, and my older Dell monitor on the VGA port. The Dell monitor doesn't have a HDMI port.

So is there a way to run both monitors on my single video card, without using the HDMI port?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You could just get an VGA to HDMI cable/convertor. Not sure if you need a bridge from VGA to HDMI, but I know DVI to HDMI convertors exist and are relatively cheap ($5).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me