As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to Set Up a Shared Network Drive

BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I bought a new dlink router with a USB port and I'm trying to connect my passport drive so I can share all my files to all the computers in the apartment. Only problem is that my router won't recognize my passport when I plug it in. It recognizes another external drive but for some reason the passport isn't working with the router. Any ideas?

cdmAF00.png
Coran Attack!
Bedigunz on

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    We wont be able to help you without the router's model number. Also is the routers firmware up to date?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Well I just figured out that there isn't enough power outputting to the hard drive. It's one of those passports that is powered through the USB port. Any solutions in regards to that?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    Well I just figured out that there isn't enough power outputting to the hard drive. It's one of those passports that is powered through the USB port. Any solutions in regards to that?

Why can't you just leave it connected to a computer and let it be accessed through that on the network?

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Bedigunz wrote:

Why can't you just leave it connected to a computer and let it be accessed through that on the network?

If it's pulling power through the USB, that PC would always need to be on to access it. This way, attached to the router, it's always on.

Most passports come with an additional cable for power? You have one of those as well?

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Bedigunz wrote:

If it's pulling power through the USB, that PC would always need to be on to access it. This way, attached to the router, it's always on.

Most passports come with an additional cable for power? You have one of those as well?

Most people leave their PCs on all the time. Or is that just me?

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I leave my laptop on but not my desktop.

As for the harddrive, it only has one port on the back that looks like this

WDBACX0010BBK.png

I was thinking I could buy a cable that would basically come out of the back of the drive that would split into a USB and AC power supply, but I have no idea if those exist and don't really know what to search for exactly.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Powered USB hubs are basically that (just with extra ports you don't need.)

edit: though let me be clear I've never tried using them in this capacity.

Ego on
    Erik
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Usually passports come with a usb cable that has 3 ends. 1 that goes into the passport itself, and 2 regular usb ends. You put one of the regular usb ones into the router, and the other into a USB power port.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=17&gs_id=1b&xhr=t&q=usb+power+adaptor&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbm=shop&source=og&sa=N&tab=wf&ei=sbL_TvqPKuWvsQK86O2cAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=741710c2b80424da&biw=1280&bih=827

If you dont have the right cable you will have to obtain one.