As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    My husband isn't allowed around machinery anymore. He sliced his hand open with one of those GIANT paper cutters in the art department at college because he wasn't paying attention to where the handle was when he reached up to grab it. Another time, he didn't secure the metal sheet he was drilling through, and the drill caught it and spun it around really fast into his thumb joint. Yay, stitches.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tynic wrote: »
    Today's lunch conversation: horrific machining accidents my colleagues have witnessed

I can't decide if the worst one was the guy who looked away while jointly feeding a bandsaw and cut off all his fingers just below the first knuckle because his colleague pushed the metal sheeting too fast

or the guy who walked backwards into a flat circular and was literally cut in two

i mean at least the second one it'd be over quick

Yeah I'm gonna go with the second one.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Runners up:
    - someone who got her fingernails caught in a rolling press but had the presence of mind to pull sideways and got away with just losing all her nails, not crushing her hands

- Someone who got scalped in a similar incident involving her hair

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    One of my uncles never wears shorts. When he was working as a logger he was using a 6 foot chainsaw and was just going through the underbrush around the tree. Caught the tip on something and the saw kicked back into his leg. He was fast enough and strong enough to turn the saw down so instead of cutting off his entire leg he just carved a chunk out of his thigh and calf. So now he's not exactly "symmetrical".

And one time I had to find all of my coworkers fingers after he took them all off at the second knuckle when he slipped while breaking down a carcass and ran his hand through the band saw.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, be careful around band saws. They basically hunger for human flesh.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    *Peeks into thread, slowly leans back out*

Hey would graphic design stuff count as artsy fartsy?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

IMO it might be better to throw that into the Doodle thread here (or the Doodle Thread in the Artist's Corner because I'm biased :P Also if you're looking for crits, the AC could help you out!). I'm not a mod though, just thinking the other threads would be a more tailored audience.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

IMO it might be better to throw that into the Doodle thread here (or the Doodle Thread in the Artist's Corner because I'm biased :P Also if you're looking for crits, the AC could help you out!). I'm not a mod though, just thinking the other threads would be a more tailored audience.

Probably right! I've looked at the AC sub-forum plenty of times, but there really doesn't seem to be a graphic design presence there.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options

Probably right! I've looked at the AC sub-forum plenty of times, but there really doesn't seem to be a graphic design presence there.

Yeah, it's only because most people post sketches or drawings...people do post graphic design work there though (in the Doodle thread, or their own threads), it's just not as common. A handful of us in the AC have graphic design experience/interests though, so feel free to post your work there if you'd like!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    any home/hobbyist affordable 3D printing is basically junky at the moment. Nice enough for prototyping or playing with, but to get robustness or a decent finish you need to go with really high-end materials, and that costs loads.

... that said I don't actually know how good this thing is as a milling machine but it's hitting all the avarice buttons in my body right now

Eh, it depends on what you expect going in. The PLA wire 3d printers need you to do some finishing work when it is done printing, and that's not something they cover with the advertising. The resin 3d printers (Like the Formlabs Form 1) are pretty great, but more expensive.

The best printers are sintering machines and are much more expensive than hobby level printers. They have the level of quality you can get from Shapeways, which is still the best option out of all of them for most people.

• Options
    that's ... exactly what I said?

• Options
    that's ... exactly what I said?

I don't think the PLA wire printers are junky. The amount of work to clean and finish them can be pretty minimal.

• Options
    It's not the finish I most object to, it's that the material properties are not robust enough for working mechanisms. They've gotten really popular at universities because it's a quick way to rapid prototype, but then people go and actually try to make operational stuff out of them and they fail way too fast to be useful. But ok, 'junky' is relative.

Even the resin ones aren't up to much for robotics purposes, but I do know a guy who's using one to 3D print the 'bones' of a super biologically accurate cyborg dog. He seems pretty happy with the results.

• Options
    It's not the finish I most object to, it's that the material properties are not robust enough for working mechanisms. They've gotten really popular at universities because it's a quick way to rapid prototype, but then people go and actually try to make operational stuff out of them and they fail way too fast to be useful. But ok, 'junky' is relative.

Even the resin ones aren't up to much for robotics purposes, but I do know a guy who's using one to 3D print the 'bones' of a super biologically accurate cyborg dog. He seems pretty happy with the results.

I'm just used to the hobby side of the 3d printer community doing things like eNable which has volunteers 3D print the majority of a prosthetic limb for people and use store bought fasteners. Which has expanded my idea of what the cheap 3D printers can do.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Gah to all the machining horror stories. I'm just about to start a new job involving band saws and lathes and welding and stuff and now I'm terrified :?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @Ashaman42 what do you do? I was wondering after the job thread but now I am even more curious.

• Options
    I'm about to be at engineering technician at a university. Running practicals for the students and building models to their designs for testing in the wind tunnel/other testing apparatus.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    ... but I do know a guy who's using one to 3D print the 'bones' of a super biologically accurate cyborg dog. He seems pretty happy with the results.

Can I just say how awesome it is that we live in a world where this sentence isn't science fiction?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    FWBn3lZ.jpg

it's finally spring! we cut up some deer antler today to make stuff out of, which has to be done outside thanks to the exquisitely horrible smell of bone dust. unfortunately we only have the one respirator at the moment, and i drew the short straw

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    seriously guys, bone dust smells So Bad

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yes but you drew the genetic long straw.

I mean look at that beard.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    surely if you just powdered that thing with some charcoal you'd be set for life, filtration wise

• Options
    this cannot fail! next time we have to cut antler i'll try this out and report back

H8waLEw.jpg

the endcaps on this took way too long to figure out, but we're really happy with how they work with the viking knit

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I was supposed to hang out with a friend who is in town this weekend but her husband was having a really difficult emotional time today so I stayed home and started working on a couple things I have been meaning to do for a while now:
    DSC_0359.jpg

Geometric forms, sculpted in DAS modeling clay. DAS dries to a nice sandable finish and costs like 4-5$ for about a pound. I made these seven pieces from a single pack. They'll crackle a little on the outside but this stuff sticks to itself pretty well, and I want to sand these to a crisper finish anyway so I am not too worried about imperfections at this point.

I'm going to use these as sketching models for a bunch of studies I want to do. It makes me feel like I am really bad at art that I have almost no concrete drafting skills in comparison with my sculpting abilities. It makes me nuts that I can sculpt a face I can barely draw. I should be able to draw at least a rough facsimile of something competently and with an understanding of form. (I spent/wasted my teens and early twenties sneering at competency practice because whatever why draw shapes when you are going to be the best at comics ever!!! It did not pan out well. FYI)

So, I'm tackling that, along with Draw A Box, because self improvement

Oh whoops I was aiming for the doodle thread but eh fuckit, this is artsy AND fartsy! And stuff.)

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    A lot of people can sculpt but barely draw. The shiflett brothers come to mind. On the other hand I know people who are excellent drawers but cannot wrap their heads around sculpting.

Personally, I think that people who suggest you draw before you paint or sculpt are elitists who see it as a hierarchy and think you need to "pay your dues." Really, drawing isn't going to make you better at sculpting. Sculpting is going to make you better at sculpting.

• Options
    Oh, totally, Metalbourne!

It's more like I feel the absence of draftsmanship in my stuff is starting to hold back some of my ability to advance my craft-- need to do some homework, reset some bad habits, unlearn some shortcuts.

It is not a slight against someone who chooses to do it a different way, it's more that I chose to do things way back when that I view as being kinda dumb now. This isn't me bending to any elitist other than myself-- and that's mostly just because I want to see what happens if I try. Sorry, I was kinda self-deprecating in the previous post and it may not have been clear that I'm not like, beating myself up over my failures

• Options
    Oh, I see.

It kind of reminded me of my own experience where I would push the pencil down harder trying to draw things that are father away.

Fucking paper and it's...lack of depth.

• Options
    Wait does DAS air dry?

• Options
    Yep!

It'll have a few spots that need patching up with fresh stuff once it dries but it bonds to itself pretty well

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Oh, I see.

It kind of reminded me of my own experience where I would push the pencil down harder trying to draw things that are father away.

K-faq5.gif

Peas on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Oh, I see.

K-faq5.gif

I hate you.

• Options
    we built us a workbench today

skPe3bB.jpg

we got help from a friend who actually knows how to make stuff out of wood, in exchange for a corkscrew. i am excited as hell to have a work surface that isn't an incredibly flimsy, warped folding table

• Options
    t6u49an6cpkv.jpg

This is what I did today. Made a door for the dog enclosure. Took me 4 hours.

The fiber arts are so much more relaxing.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Do you think your dog could try and jump through that door and get sliced into several rectangular pieces? Sorry if this question is too technical.

- sent from my iPhone

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    No. The worst he could do is maybe try and dig underneath the wire but he hasn't shown any signs of digging behavior yet.

He has also tried chewing on the wire, but we're working on that.

• Options
    I went to the second week of my welding class yesterday. So far I've had a little play at MIG and Arc welding. Current thoughts are Arc is easier to run a line of weld but I just could not get it started on my own, kept sticking the rod to the workpiece and having to wrestle it off. MIG easier to start but I don't seem to run such a nice weld.

Still it's early days yet, with the size of the group and the time available we've each only run a few welds. Once we've had a go on everything we can separate into smaller groups and run side by side at the different stations rather than one person welding and the rest all just watching.

As a bonus I didn't get 'sunburnt' from the weld light on my neck this week.

Next week TIG and then Gas the following.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    arrggghhhhhhh

I'm about halfway through a baby blanket for a friend. And I didn't save the project page or link on my ravelry. And then my computer shut down for updates.

and now I can't find the pattern on there! ARRRGGHHHHH

edt: Never mind! I FOUND IT! BOOOM!!! SAVED ONCE AGAIN!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    Welding is so badass. I hope to learn someday.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    No. The worst he could do is maybe try and dig underneath the wire but he hasn't shown any signs of digging behavior yet.

He has also tried chewing on the wire, but we're working on that.

Are you certain?

UmPiq.png
This discussion has been closed.