As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    @Liiya for future projects there are two ways (sorta) around that

If you slip the first stitch of every row you can help reduce the curl, or you can do a set of two or three garter stitches at each edge

Even in the round stockinette is curly as heck!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Another thing you can do is, slip the first stitch of every row. This creates a selvedge that will still curl, but looks "clean".

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Ohh, I'd never heard of slipping a stitch - looks like its just putting one stitch from one needle to the other, thats easy enough! Wish I'd realised curling was a thing that happened, but oh well! Its my first go - I'm sure it'll be fine!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    A picked-up edging can be used to knock out the curling in an otherwise flat piece of stockinette, that's often used for button bands of cardigans and so on.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    TyBekh9.jpg

fifty finished cymbal picks. making them went pretty quick once i got the process down

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i am getting so very tired of this blanket.

I'm on the last bit of the basketweave repeat. But.... UGH. Want to finish this so I can start on the NEXT baby blanket that's waiting for me.

Which is gonna be FUN! My coworker's having a little girl and naming her Olivia. So I'm making her a circle blanket. Because, you know, "O" for Olivia. It's going to be a repeat of electric pink, white, grey, black starting from the middle with 1 row of each and then going out from there, 2 rows, 3 rows, 4 rows, etc. Either until ti's a length that I love, or I run out of wool.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here done resin impregnation on wood before?
    I've been planning on making a wooden ring from a hardwood and I'm curious about resin impregnation on wood to give it greater stability.

If you're curious I've had ambitions of making a Lookouts ring for the past two year since Gabe put this in a news post
    I also have a quick favor to ask of you readers. I’m looking for someone who can make me a really nice wood ring with the inscription “May we die in the forest” on it. Ideally I’d like two, one for myself and one for Child’s Play. If this is a skill you possess please shoot me a mail.

-Gabe out

I'm going out tomorrow to get a billet of exotic hardwood to work on. If it works out I plan to give a pair to Child's Play or a Child's Play adjacent fundraiser (like Dessert Bus).

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    epoxy coating is one solution; there are also some automotive polyurethanes worth a look. depends on the kind of resin work you want to do though.

like if you want resin-filled details, epoxy is preferable, if you just want a tough waterproof gloss coat I'd probably go with the poly.

• Options
    epoxy coating is one solution; there are also some automotive polyurethanes worth a look. depends on the kind of resin work you want to do though.

like if you want resin-filled details, epoxy is preferable, if you just want a tough waterproof gloss coat I'd probably go with the poly.

I was hoping there was a way of forcing the resin into the wood grain to increase the hardness. The only resins I know of for that are the kind used with fiberglass under vacuum and they're also ridiculously toxic and not something I'd want making prolonged skin contact with.

• Options
    Assuming it's possible, wouldn't hardening the wood make it more difficult to work with? Or would this be after it was finished?

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Assuming it's possible, wouldn't hardening the wood make it more difficult to work with? Or would this be after it was finished?

I'm assuming after most of the work has been done, but before doing the finishing.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    12 more rows. that's it. I only have to basket weave 12 more rows.

and then do an edging.

and then block it.

And then realize that it's god ugly and awful and I wouldn't give it to another living soul and then panic because now I need to figure out another present for this person who is just so much better at every craft thing than I am.

she spins her own wool, for heaven's sake. How can I possibly hope to gift her a blanket that i made that has mistakes, inconsistencies and looks so atrocious. I should just give up now and change tracks and figure out something else to make for her.

after i do these 12 rows....

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You could possibly try sanding it in, if you have a particularly runny epoxy, but you'd have to be really careful not to gum up your sander. That's the only way I know of getting liquid deep into the wood grain like that.

• Options
    Hey.

Stop that.

It will be nice and good and if she doesn't like it she can pound sand.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I was hoping there was a way of forcing the resin into the wood grain to increase the hardness. The only resins I know of for that are the kind used with fiberglass under vacuum and they're also ridiculously toxic and not something I'd want making prolonged skin contact with.

Have you looked at the Cactus Juice from TurnTex? You need a vacuum chamber setup to use it, but from what I've seen it works pretty well. And it's much easier to use on smaller blanks like pens.

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If she's really giving it to a newborn it's essentially a giant spit rag anyway

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The poly I'm talking about is probably your best bet then, it's inert once it's cured

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The poly I'm talking about is probably your best bet then, it's inert once it's cured

Cool! Is there a specific type to look out for?

Have you looked at the Cactus Juice from TurnTex? You need a vacuum chamber setup to use it, but from what I've seen it works pretty well. And it's much easier to use on smaller blanks like pens.

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121

Thanks! I'll check it out and see about the reviews.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Went to Rockler woodworking a few hours ago and picked up two strips of Padouk (1/4" thick for practice and 3/4" thick for making the final blanks) and a block of Redheart. I looked at the other hardwoods available (Zebra Wood, Wenge, Mahogany, Oak, and Ironwood) but the patterns and colors just didn't look good to me.

First practice blank on Padouk finished with tung oil

20150626_175703_zpsuknwvuwp.jpg
    c68183e4-4131-469a-8a3a-b847e88bf97f_zpslvinwpb0.jpg

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That is beautiful

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I still haven't found anywhere else to post about our pumpkins and I'm super excited about them so I'll post here. I can stop with the pumpkin talk though if y'all don't want it here or don't care. They're still really growing and taking over our yard! Now there's a lot more flowers on them and this morning on our way back from picking up some breakfast I saw a cicada shell on one and then noticed a shitload of bees buzzing around the flowers and pollinating like whoa. That's a good thing because pollinated flowers means pumpkins eventually!
    10497491_940938929262658_2108125513977257411_o.jpg
    11143336_940938935929324_6841114884303411870_o.jpg
    1973441_940938932595991_1966402025933993254_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Went to Rockler woodworking a few hours ago and picked up two strips of Padouk (1/4" thick for practice and 3/4" thick for making the final blanks) and a block of Redheart. I looked at the other hardwoods available (Zebra Wood, Wenge, Mahogany, Oak, and Ironwood) but the patterns and colors just didn't look good to me.

First practice blank on Padouk finished with tung oil

20150626_175703_zpsuknwvuwp.jpg
    c68183e4-4131-469a-8a3a-b847e88bf97f_zpslvinwpb0.jpg

I want one!

• Options
  • Options
    Unf. Is there anything you're not amazing at?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    stock answer: skiing, not getting screwed over in relationships.

also getting jobs, possibly.

tynic on
  • Options
    Smiling in photographs

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Smiling in photographs

Where's the snap button when you need it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Smiling in photographs

Where's the snap button when you need it

:snap:

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @tynic what medium is that please.

• Options
    pen and ink under-drawing, then acrylic.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I've been working with different woods the last week and when I get back home I'll post some pictures. What's caught my mind lately though is the idea of making a companion piece to the Lookouts ring to go with the Daughters of the Eyrewood. I've been brainstorming some ideas, but so far all I've come up with is a flowering vine design. I figured there are some more artsy people than me on here who will have better ideas.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    71511659-add9-464b-af67-8c102b57d12e_zpsfdasbkkt.jpg
    Practiced burning in some lettering, but I'm not quite dextrous enough yet to make the lettering much smaller.

da1a40da-5a8c-42a7-8d75-a3a633830c67_zpsqlbptsnt.jpg
    This is just a wider version

aa7469a4-0a01-4a26-b4e0-9a5af849cf63_zpsdubo0ccz.jpg
    The ring on the right is Bocote, a Mexican hardwood. I'm starting to get that each hardwood has it's own distinct smell. Bocote is very spicy and strong, while Padouk is very sweet almost like bubblegum. It's hard to tell whether the smell when working with purpleheart is due to the wood or my tools, steel is easier to cut than this.

ce8f0b8d-c85b-41a1-9ed7-89b5e2d66502_zpshqdmoyzd.jpg

1f4d17a6-2d33-4594-bac1-6cd66f422d83_zpsssiof1h5.jpg

This is something I was working on for practice. A purpleheart bloom with a birch flower bud.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Not to second guess you but aren't a lot of those hardwoods kind of toxic? Like maybe you shouldn't be breathing them in?

Also those are beautiful.

How do you do the rings? Do you use a lathe?

knitdan on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Not to second guess you but aren't a lot of those hardwoods kind of toxic? Like maybe you shouldn't be breathing them in?

Also those are beautiful.

How do you do the rings? Do you use a lathe?

Hey, no problem. The ones I'm working with are sensitizers but not toxic unless you are already allergic to certain types of woods. I'm not going to say it's a great idea, though. I keep everything clean and work in an open environment to keep the dust from accumulating too much and only work with it for about an hour or two a day. That last part is more due to the heat than anything else.

As far as the process, I'm stuck with what I've got for the moment, so I've been using a spade bit to cut the inside hole, a router to cut the outside diameter out of the plank, and working both with a dremel, sandpaper, and rasps to get the right size and thickness I want. This is probably going to change when I can get access to the lathe at the makerspace, but I'm still learning the basics with making wooden rings and I've had better luck learning with hand tools and working my way up from there. That said I've also turned the rubber drum from a cheap drum sanding kit into a ring holder so I can try and even out the shape, and trust me that if I could get my hands on a laser etcher I'd be using that rather than trying to burn in letters with woodburning tools (not keen on paying the prices for laser etching either).
    Right now most of the rings I've made for practice were made to my size (about a 11 3/4 ring size) but I've made a couple of blanks to smaller sizes for practice and checked the sizes with a ring size dowel.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

You shouldn't really be breathing in any wood dust. Particulate matter that fine can cause a lot of lung irritation or damage. Luckily a regular disposable surgical mask works just fine if you're just working as a hobby. If you spend all day in a shop it's a good idea (and required by many employers) to get one of these:

Personal-Respirator-Unit.jpg

with the added bonus that they keep your face nice and cool

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't know for sure if this is the right spot but radroadkill has taken to coloring for stress relief and I am p proud.
    epjGz59.jpg?2

Also, I didn't know adult coloring books existed but they are amazing.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I absolutely love them. I had one that kept me calm during a very stressful time.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I've been working on one, when I get a picture done I'll post it. So relaxing, except for when I'm trying to do fine work (my hands have a bit of a tremble).

• Options
    huzzah huzzah. baby blanket number two is done!

now to start on the third one. and once that is done... well, who knows!

perhaps some knitting practice

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The only adult coloring book I have ever seen is the anatomy coloring book I have.

This discussion has been closed.