As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That looks really really good tapeslinger.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    :bro:

I still owe you a tiny!Leia, David! - - don't think I forgot about ya

I'm still kinda testing for durability on finishes and I'm going to mod the sculpt a bit more based on a suggestion about the design from my mum, of all people, but it was a good suggestion

(whom I still have not persuaded to actually *watch* Star Wars, but I digress)

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    :bro:

I still owe you a tiny!Leia, David! - - don't think I forgot about ya

I'm still kinda testing for durability on finishes and I'm going to mod the sculpt a bit more based on a suggestion about the design from my mum, of all people, but it was a good suggestion

(whom I still have not persuaded to actually *watch* Star Wars, but I digress)

:heartbeat:

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Well, I now have a table saw, a bench jointer, and a 12" planer at my disposal

But no band saw which is what I need

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Can you make two cuts with the table saw, one on each side?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Can you make two cuts with the table saw, one on each side?

I can make one of the cuts no problem but the other two would be impossible with a table saw

In good news, I was just Informed by an uncle that my grandfather has a band saw. Its operational state is questionable though

I'm going to check it out next week

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If today is any indication I need to start selling these papercraft Models to my parents friends

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so close.

I am so close to finishing up sewing in these ends and then taking a good look at backing this blanket with the white minky. so. close.

And then, when that's over. I can work on making something for my own little one.

• Options
    If today is any indication I need to start selling these papercraft Models to my parents friends

How the hell do you decide a price for something made of paper that also takes hours and hours to make

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Cost of materials + cost of time, at no lower than minimum wage and potentially quite a bit higher. That should include the time spend designing the models.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I never finished off the painting step by step I got half way through in the thread, mostly because I jumped ahead a bit and painted some parts but wasn't happy with them, and have yet to decide how I am going to do a repaint. But I have been painting some other stuff, so I thought you guys might be interested.

FoIVgo7.jpg

The yellow takes the longest time to do, but I wanted it to come out very brightly and exaggerated, and I think it worked

Anyway, pretty happy with them.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Cost of materials + cost of time, at no lower than minimum wage and potentially quite a bit higher. That should include the time spend designing the models.

I'd feel bad for anyone who paid minimum wage rates for one of my wood projects.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I tried making a model in reverse so all the folding lines are on the inside

That got confusing really fast

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I'd feel bad for anyone who paid minimum wage rates for one of my wood projects.

Consider it from the standpoint of people who actually make a living at their craft, though. They're over here charging a fair price for their work, and you're over there undercutting them because to you it's just a hobby and you don't care if you lose money on it.

(The general "you," not you personally.)

• Options
    Well I have a band saw now

I was told by the manager if it didn't do what I wanted it to that I could return it

He said it should work fine on poplar but may burn the oak (which is ok cause I'll be sanding it anyway)

Fingers crossed

• Options

Consider it from the standpoint of people who actually make a living at their craft, though. They're over here charging a fair price for their work, and you're over there undercutting them because to you it's just a hobby and you don't care if you lose money on it.

Actually It's just the opposite. It's because it's a hobby for me that it takes longer to make, because I don't have industrial tools. As a hobbyist I simply cannot compete with prices for mass produced/industrially produced goods if I charge hourly. What takes the hobbyist 8 hours to make takes the professional 4-6 hours to make. Besides I don't buy in bulk the way professionals do, which means I'm paying more for materials as well. In general charging "fair price" would take a $20 item and turn it into an $80 item.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Actually It's just the opposite. It's because it's a hobby for me that it takes longer to make, because I don't have industrial tools. As a hobbyist I simply cannot compete with prices for mass produced/industrially produced goods if I charge hourly. What takes the hobbyist 8 hours to make takes the professional 4-6 hours to make. Besides I don't buy in bulk the way professionals do, which means I'm paying more for materials as well. In general charging "fair price" would take a $20 item and turn it into an $80 item.

But your pieces are unique. If the customer wanted to buy standard jewellery from a standard jewellery store, they would never have looked you up in the first place.

Don't undersell your time or efforts, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. You might think "all I did was pin one nail into another and then hammer it and polish it a bit" for example, but to the customer it is wearable art. And rightly so.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So because my wife is an aspiring alcoholic, I figured I'd try something a coworker told me about and make her some Jolly Rancher vodka. It's simple enough, you just put some Jolly Ranchers in vodka until they dissolve but I wanted to make it look all pretty-like and shit so I ordered some neat bottles and then discovered the openings were too small to shove the candies through. So my grandad helped me crush the sonofabitches with a mallet and pour em into the bottles and everything turned out pretty great. My wife got home recently and loved it so yay, success!

11896370_1101930493152151_5811569815843239348_o.jpg

11942299_1101930396485494_4241301063520822245_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    That's a badass looking mallet. And Tito's! Well, let's drink.

• Options
    Yeah, I had fun smashing stuff with it. And my wife looooooves Tito's so that's what I got. I don't drink vodka myself and don't know anything about it, so I just went with what she likes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Just because I like the pics, here's another in-progress shot of crushed Jolly Ranchers

11947740_1101930463152154_3826771215967134387_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Not sure I'd want to drink something Tito had his hands all over.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PassionateLoviePassionateLovie Registered User regular
    Cross Stitched Captain America for my mom for her birthday.

dnhsugvgeikd.jpg

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Test cuts from a 4'x4' gantry mill that I refurbished with my brother's and dad's help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_0mgmO28Bo
    It's cutting scrap acrylic there with the feed rates turned wayyyyyy down (~1% machine max) because of Experiments. The ones on the left were cut with slightly more correctly feed rates and had less fusing of the chips (the white fur you can see) but this one was slow enough to watch. Sorry for the overlay music but otherwise the recorded sound was just the loud machine WHIRRRRRRRR.

The machine (Gerber Dimension 200e) is running LinuxCNC on a recycled eBay Atom point-of-sale computer with a Mesa 7i76 card, three Gecko G203v drives, steppers, and some dad-milled aluminum mounts to hold a standard PC router. I still have the high speed engraving head but haven't remounted it to test it.

(Anyone interested in CNC milling / engraving / sign making? Anyone want to know how to buy up an old machine and getting it working again with free software?)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    My family owns a sign shop and runs one big monster laser cutter, one smaller laser engraver and a pretty small CNC.

The big laser my dad bought from China direct from the manufacturer. Went over there to meet with their english speaking sales rep and everything, claimed the trip as a work expense and saved thousands over buying the same machine through an international licenser. Everything he's done to it since then (feeder, extraction, ventilation, fire supression, computer etc) has been custom made in shop.

The other machines have all been trades. Our company doesn't deal to the public, they subcontract large, specialized work from other sign shops. The small laser and CNC have been offered as payment for work from shops that don't need/use the equipment anymore and they've jumped at them when offered to rebuild/repurpose them.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Machining nerds?

Search for the channel Clickspring on Youtube.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    There's a lantern festival coming up here in Seattle. So I'm making a wizard hat to light up the night!

FA0TDcM.jpg

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    I made a work bench!

It was fun to make and I am finally reclaiming the room relegated to storage for the last 2 years!

70ckg3g04d29.jpg

• Options
    That's a nice looking workbench

• Options
    edited September 2015
    thanks!

Just a couple more things and I'll be done.

I have to get a few long bolts so I can secure my band saw. Eventually, I'll have to kill the house power to install a dedicated outlet to whatever power tool I'm using at the time (Or, I guess I could just start flipping fuses until I turn off the correct one).

Other than that, it's good to go. Guess I could use a stool or something though.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I can't tell from the picture, do you have a vise on there somewhere?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    knitdan wrote: »
    I can't tell from the picture, do you have a vise on there somewhere?

no, but I have access to one. I'll probably grab it on monday

edit: I'll eventually get a better utility light, but I'm in no hurry. the weighted on in the picture throws out a LOT of light.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Aw jeez, I need to make a nice workbench in our spare room now too.

• Options
    edited September 2015

FYI, the materials for that one cost about $60 from Lowes. +/-

I already had the 1 1/2" screws though or it would have jumped up to around $70

edit:

This is the one I made. I didn't end up using peg board.

it took exactly (2) 1lb boxes of 3" screws and just over a half box of 1 1/2" screws. It is SOLID.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    You get a workbench!

Youget a workbench!

Everybody gets a workbench!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

edit:

it took exactly (2) 1lb boxes of 3" screws and just over a half box of 1 1/2" screws. It is SOLID.

Exxxxxxxcellent. I can do this. I'll have to clear my calendar though. Probably next month sometime since I can't actually clear my calendar by just saying I need to. :p

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

edit:

Exxxxxxxcellent. I can do this. I'll have to clear my calendar though. Probably next month sometime since I can't actually clear my calendar by just saying I need to. :p

I got the plywood cut at lowes for free. the measuring and cutting of the 2x4s was no problem at all. Took just under 45 minutes.

Pre-drilling the holes took longest. all in all, it took me 3 evenings totaling maybe 10 hours. I also had to take a door off its hinges to get the top part in =P

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we bought a flt pack cabinet and put it together!
    and then I went and brought out most of the bins of wool from the future baby's closet.
    And I orgnaized the wool/yarn into the cabinet!

I have so much more room in the cabinet! I want to get some extra shelves so that I can only use the one cabinet for all my wool and my fabrics and maybe even the random crafting supplies.

And once that's done, I can sort out where the sewing machine/table is going to go and then empty the desk in that room and get it out and then! Then the baby's room will be cleared for painting and things!

• Options
    LuvCherieLuvCherie Registered User regular
    Most of what I make I sell, and on occasion I'd like to share it here to celebrate something I'm especially proud of. But, I'm afraid it might be seen as self-promotion even though that is not my intent. Is there a way I can share them and not violate any rules?

"I have many skills."
    Making: LuvCherie Jewelry
    Writing: Fibropreneur.com
    Shopping: Amazon Wishes
    Socializing: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
    Gaming: Xbox Live, Playstation, Steam
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've already rambled on at length about this bloke's channel, but you should all watch Clickspring's videos on Youtube. He's an Aussie self-taught machinist, and he does beautiful work. He's making a clock at the moment, and his workmanship is second to none.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA

This discussion has been closed.