As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mic won't work

Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
Hello

I connected my headset properly to my PC but the mic won't work. Hardware Details:
- Headset: Sennheiser PC 151
- Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Pro3
- Audio driver: Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.6526

The mic is recognized properly but won't record and I have absolutely no clue why.
Here's a picture of what the audio settings look like (german version of Windows 7 so everythings german):

unbenanntgni.png

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out what was wrong. A wire was faulty so I took the headset apart, cut off the faulty part and reattached the rest again and now it's working fine.

steam_sig.png
Steam ID: 76561198021298113
Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Blackbird SR-71C on

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    I actually ran into that exact problem as well, with the same headset. Might be a defect in the model.

I'm curious, though: where was the actual wire fault in yours? Inside the headset itself (where the wire connects to the left speaker), or inside the in-line volume/mic control? If it was the headset, how did you take it apart? I couldn't seem to find the right screws to remove, although it's been a long time since I last checked.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote:
    I actually ran into that exact problem as well, with the same headset. Might be a defect in the model.

I'm curious, though: where was the actual wire fault in yours? Inside the headset itself (where the wire connects to the left speaker), or inside the in-line volume/mic control? If it was the headset, how did you take it apart? I couldn't seem to find the right screws to remove, although it's been a long time since I last checked.

The fault was right below where the wire connects to the actual headset. The wire's bent there and I assume that's why it got damaged. There should be 4 screws total on the side where the microfone connects. But first you've got to remove the piece of cloth covering it (sorry, my english ain't that good). Then you can just pull the round plastic piece below off with a bit of force, it's plugged in there. Below that you should see another piece of plastiv with round holes along the edge, you can turn it and when you turn it right you can see the three screws I mentioned earlier, so remove them through the holes. Finally you'll see the chip the wires connect to. Just remember which one belongs where (though it's also written on the chip) and cut them off by melting the zinc on the chip. Now just cut the wire off a bit below the entry point, remove a small part of the plastiv cover, split the wires, make sure the wire is aligned correctly and reconnect the different wires. Put the whole thing together and it should work again.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    endersbean3k1endersbean3k1 Registered User new member
    I just managed to knock out the left ear on my Sennheiser PC 165s (very similar to the 151s). I'm wondering which round piece you're talking about pulling off. You're talking about separating the part that sort of tilts around from the part that's connected to the headband, correct? Or do you mean to separate the two round things that the piece of cloth covering the earpiece goes between?

I don't want to start yanking on the thing only to find out that's not where it's supposed to come apart x.x