As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Makai Amakusa - [Ninja] 1/5
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM [Newly Sharpened Kunais] [Caving Kit]
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????

Despite having already been seen, Makai crouches down in the pool. "A secret cabal of movers and shakers that have directing the course of history from times immemorial? A dark cult preparing a ritual sacrifice to their demon lord? Some like, really weird sexy party? In any case, we probably should also have masks."

Makai calls Iktomi out. "Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is find a mask not being worn by anyone and get it back to me without getting caught."

Iktomi spends 2 exp! Sneak increased to Sneak 2! Iktomi attempts to steal a mask.

Sneak 2 + Ninja = 3

NeoToma on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    ~???~ :whistle:

The Joltik returns shortly, somehow hauling a wicker bin of discarded (or perhaps complementary) masks.

Digging through it, you might find...

A wide-eyed face, obscured with vines (Tangela)
    A pink, long-tongued mask (Lickitung)
    A black and yellow reptile mask (Heliolisk)
    A purple mask with pursed lips and a thin yellow mustache (Swalot)
    A joyful teal mask with a trailing ribbon (Chimeco)
    A thick, tan mask with bony protrusions (Relicanth)
    A sly, purple mask with a fabulous hat (Mismagius)
    A green mask with wide mouth and yellow frills (Cradily)
    A blue reptilian mask with a purple mane (Hydreigon)

For some reason, there is also a pair of hand puppets that look very similar to the blue reptile mask.

Marshmallow on
    edited July 2015
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM [Newly Sharpened Kunais] [Caving Kit]
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????

Makai peruses his options before settling the blue reptilian one with the hand puppets. Obviously.

He turns his right hand to Tanaka and Elise.

Doofy voiced hand puppet: "durrr, what mask are you guys gonna get ,ahyuck?"

NeoToma on
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka, Gigen & Numel ACRONYM="4"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="2"]N[/ACRONYM
    [Bell Bonze] ~ [Shakuhachi] ~ [Badling of Lotad] - [Well Supplied] ~ Volt: 4

"None for me, thanks." He says, while wringing out his robe. "I want to be able to leave."

Gigen, however, grabs the teal mask and begins to nibble on it. He eyes all the other humans.

When he has stopped dripping, Tanaka opens his pack, to free Numel. The outside of the sack is soaked, but when Tanaka opens it he finds the inside dry and cozy. When released, the numb pokemon waddles out, snorts contemptuously, and stares at Makai.

"Hey, I think she likes you!" The monk says, smiling.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Elise Corbeau - [Social Knight] - 4/4
    [PKMN] [Shieldmaiden] [Carapace Brigandine] [Cobalt Springs Tradition]

Elise idly picks up the tangela mask and looks at Tanaka. "Why would the masks make us unable to leave?"

Ducky pulls on Elise's leg gently, a worried expression on his face. He wants to get out of here as soon as possible.

Schala looks at Gigen with a deeply profound sense of sorrow and loss as the spook picks up what is clearly the best mask for her. Sulking, she goes to Clefairy's side.

SchalaNervous_zps6a9a6649.png Uh... any idea where we ended up? Are we at the other side of the mountain now?

magikarp_zpspdtt4g5k.jpg

Even compared to Ducky and Schala, Clefairy seems to be a little out of sorts.

Clefairy4.pngI-I-I don't know...

The Clefairy asserts in a low stammer.

Clefairy1.pngI've never s-s-seen anything like this before. It's d-definitely not the other side of the mountain.

Clefairy4.pngI don't l-like it, let's get out of here soon. Please.

Tanaka, Gigen & Numel ACRONYM="4"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="2"]N[/ACRONYM

"I don't really know why. I don't think there has to be a reason in a dream/vision."

Given scampers back up Tanaka, sticking the mask on the side of his head and glaring at the Oddish with suspicion.

edited July 2015

Between Ducky's warning and Tanaka's warning and now even Schala seems out of sorts, Elise lets the mask drop from her hand.

"What if they're ignoring us because we're not wearing masks? Maybe we can just...slip away somehow."

Schala turns to Iktomi, Gigen, and Numel.

SchalaNervous_zps6a9a6649.png These people are probably like this because of the Lady of Dreams slumbering beneath the mountain that Clefairy told me about. She said that the Lady of Dreams can make people act erratic... though Clefairy has never run into these people either.

SchalaNervous_zps6a9a6649.png They might think they're pokemon? I don't really want to stay to find out. I think we should just pick a path and try to leave. And be ready for anything.

Rawkking Goodguy on

While the group disseminates information and determines their next move, they notice some towels on the edge of the pool.

This seems oddly convenient, considering it doesn't look like any of the other party-goers are interested in swimming at all, nor is the shallow water all that conducive to a casual dip in the first place. You are pretty soaked though, and, cavern or not, the room you're in is a tad on the chilly side to be walking around in sodden clothing.

edited July 2015

Elise is fairly certain those towels weren't there the last time she looked.

But whatever. She isn't going to snub the hospitality of whatever pokemon or people provided this. What's the worst that could happen, anyways?

Elise gets out of the pool, grabs a towel, and dries herself off.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????

"Aww come on man you're just being superstious."

Right Dragon head attempts to flirt by flapping it mouth open and shut.

Makai dries himself off. "but yeah lets get the hell outta here"

edited July 2015

'Getting the hell out of here' being the order of the day, the group finds their dripping departure of the fountain heeded just as closely as their splashing arrival by the gathered revelers. That is to say, not at all.

The sparsely furnished but richly decorated room offers many potential exits for the group, none of which really matter enough to bother describing them in greater detail, as I can assure you that a mere change in scenery or trip to an adjacent room is certainly not sufficient to save you now.

As one, the assembled partygoers turn to glance all in the same direction. A large clock on a mantelpiece garnering their rapt attention as it chimes cheerily, twelve times in all.

Midnight. The countdown to the thirteenth hour has begun.

What shall you do?

~And For Something Completely Unrelated~ :whistle:
    A lone figure strides out of forest, the long, brilliant-green strips of their cloak fluttering behind them, like leafy tendrils in the wind. Their head encased in an enameled helmet, their face hidden from view by the tooth-like spines of his visor, they make their way beneath a craggy archway of crumbling, heavily graffiti'd stone, and into the ruins of the colorfully vandalized fortress beyond.

Stepping purposely past the whorls and stripes of the paint-and-dye plastered interior walls, the figure soon garners a stalking retinue of filthy warriors decorated in feathers, and fierce, snarling Pokemon. The fabric-swathed and leather-armored humans, as well as their feral companions, creep from the alleys and drop from the roofs above, but even these half-mad servants of a fully-mad Legend hesitate to accost the strange invader, and instead find themselves following at a begrudgingly respectful distance, making no effort as of yet to cheerfully practice the viciousness that comes so easily and naturally to such addled creatures.

Something in this armored trespasser's confident steps, their daunting mien, their haughty disregard of the unsavory chaperons shadowing them, presents a powerful caution against hasty action. In any case, whoever they may be, they're already going in the direction the dread cultists would chase them if they yet dared. This interloper may enjoy what brief moments are left to them as they steadily approach their doom, head held high, step by measured step.

Marshmallow on

Tanaka taps one of the party goers on the shoulder.

"Hey, buddy, can you tell me what's goin' on?"

Meanwhile, Gigen gets antsy.

edited July 2015

Tanaka's action startles the cloaked man whom he just tapped, the fellow nearly spilling his drink as he turns. Half-lidded eyes stare at the monk with mild interest, in contrast to the spiky frown of his purple, single-horned rabbit mask from behind which they peer.

"You haven't heard the rumor?" he asks in a slightly slurred voice. He waves a hand unsteadily at the party and continues without waiting for an answer. "It's the final hour of the party, and it's said a phantom dwells here with us, awaiting the proper moment to reveal a great and mighty truth." He laughs, though it's really more of a giggle, and takes another sip of his drink. "It could be any moment now, but what better time to herald such a thing than at the peak of festivities, before we all finally doff our masks, eh?"

"Speaking of," he adds, leaning in far too closely to Tanaka's face and whispering in a conspiratorial voice redolent with the scent of alchohol. "You really should have a mask on, you know. It's not very polite to attend a masquerade without one."

~And Continuing Something Completely Unrelated~ :whistle:
    Soon enough, the green-clad figure finally makes their way through the winding streets to the central tower of the fortress. The soot-smudged followers sharing concerned glances, their sharpened teeth no longer bared in vicious grins as they slowly begin to comprehend the significance of their would-be prey's unguided, single-minded approach to the lair of a Pokemon of whom even other Legends have come to fear.

The Lady of Cinders.

Wordlessly, unheeded by the strolling armored-figure, the cultists break away, rushing ahead to seek spots within the galleries and beams of the tower in which to perch, and watch, whatever events may yet unfold on the arrival of this disconcerting person who has so boldly entered their home and domain.

Climbing the long set of stone steps leading up to the tower, the figure stops their plodding advance for the first time since exiting the forest, pausing for but a few seconds to turn and take in the view behind them, eastwards. The rising sun just beginning to peek over the trees of Malachite Forest. After a few moments of silent reflection, a faint whistle of exiting breath escapes from the confines of the helmet, and the visitor once again begins scaling the steps.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2015
    (2:50:42 AM) Rawkking_Goodguy: I think I'm just going to ask our magikarp-masked friend what's going on
    (2:50:51 AM) Rawkking_Goodguy: but not now, now I sleep

Shooooock

(I still appreciate you posting)

Elise second-guesses herself and picks up the tangela mask again. She heads over to the surely magikarp-masked man to join the conversation.

"How did this party get organized and supplied, anyways? Are we somewhere close to the surface?"

"And do you know who gave us towels? I mean to thank them."

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2015

"Oh, um," the Magikarped man stammers, avoiding Elise's gaze. "It was planned for months, you see, word was spread far and wide across Kanto and Johto. We all came here to, um-" the man hesitates.

"To see what can be done about the tensions throughout the region," a woman's voice interrupts, coming from behind a white, rounded mask with an upturned nose and exaggerated green lashes, its face wreathed with a bouquet of orange flowers. "It's quite ruining any sense of business or trade, and it's high time people of means and breeding put our heads together to do something about it."

Tensions? Trade? Where, or when, do these people think they are?

Looking Elise up and down critically, the woman continues. "Are you quite sure you belong here, dear? Your apparel is," she laughs, condescendingly and seemingly unconcerned of the Malachite noble's martial nature, as well as the utter lack of weapons on her own part and that of the other partygoers. "A little barbaric."

"Lady Arnest, please," the Magikarp masked man pleads, leading the woman to sigh and turn away. "I'm not sure what you mean by 'surface'," the man continues. "This is the palace of the city of Citrine?" he adds helpfully. "I can only imagine a servant of some sort brought your towels. No need to thank them, I'm sure."

Elise hasn't seen any servants since arriving here. She's also never heard of a place, city or otherwise, called 'Citrine'.

~Another Chapter Of Something Completely Unrelated~ :whistle:
    By the time the figure has arrived at the doors of the tower, they have long since been flung open and abandoned. The darkness within is sparked with torch and candle, the light of which is reflected in the peering eyes of the curious cultists who have arranged themselves along the punctured walls and collapsed ceilings that speak of several levels of tower purposely destroyed to create a single, massive room out of the tower's many floors.

Their steps not faltering even a moment, the figuring enters, the shine on their armor briefly glinting in the sun before they step fully into the half-darkness within.

In the center of the room, something massive stirs. A mere ten paces away from the mighty form, a shadow that blots out dozens of the gutted tower's inadequate sources of light, the approaching individual stops for the second time since they entered the fortress, gently folds an arm across their chestplate, and bends forward in a deep, courtly bow.

The shadow explodes outward, the sudden movement resolving into the spreading of a pair of massive, shimmering wings that bathe the interior of the tower in a blazing glow, scintillating in all the colors of the rainbow. In the uncomfortably searing light, it can be seen that the humongous creature is a phoenix-like bird of epic proportions, a cacophony of brilliantly prismatic feathers, with glistening eyes of liquid copper, and a savagely jagged beak of gleaming gold.

The staggering Pokemon's chest draws deep of the tower's stifling air, and it bursts loose a haunting, staccato screech of challenge, the bowing supplicant's green cloak whipping behind them wildly and even singeing at its edges as the scorching gust borne of billowed wings and rage-filled scream passes them by.

"Honored Lady," the still-bowing figure offers in a confident, masculine voice. "I bring you a message," in a single movement, the man raises from his bow and draws a hand from beneath his cloak. "And a gift."

Even as the cultists lean forward to try and glimpse what the visitor is holding aloft, the fabled Lady of Cinders draws back, disquieted, for within the outstretched hand of Amaranth of Malachite's gauntleted hand is a spherical Apricorn of green enamel, decorated with delicate silver leaves around the edges of its bisected halves.

Marshmallow on

"Citrine? Well, we were journeying through a cave system in a mountain, and while heading through a waterlogged tunnel, we eventually found ourselves coming out of that Gyrados statue's mouth and into the pool below it. You saw that happen, right? Why didn't you call for guards, I appreciate the trust and all but I would hardly be offended if you were a bit nervous about my apparel at this important event."

Meanwhile, Schala dons the Cradily mask and stands near/below Gigen and Tanaka in what she hopes is a show of solidarity, having decided to forgive the spook for taking the best mask after seeing how nervous he seemed. He clearly needs its fashionable power more than her.

Ducky walks through Elise's legs and looks up at the magikarp masked man, causing Elise to remember something. "So everyone here is wearing pokemon masks? I'm surprised none of you seem to have brought pokemon with you."

edited August 2015

"That's very interesting," Elise's conversational companion replies shyly, apparently placing very little import, if any, on the unusual method of the group's arrival. "I confess I was... actually looking elsewhere at the time you must have arrived, but of course I will take your word for it." He shivers, Elise's questions apparently unnerving him quite strongly. "And of course there's no need to call for the guards. No reason at all."

To Elise's eye, something about the man marks him as, if you'll forgive the phrase, a fish out of water in this line of inquiry. Something about his reaction seems like an actor who's forgotten his lines, and is suddenly forced to improvise in the face of an unexpected development on the stage.

"Oh," he continues, his mood brightening slightly in the face of questions he's seemingly better equipped to answer. "Pokemon are of course quite fascinating, but it would be very odd to expect them to accompany anyone to a party and behave themselves." Belatedly, he realizes that he inadvertently might have impugned Elise's own companions.

"Of course, yours are very well behaved! You have quite a talent there, I can tell."

Is this another anachronism? Pokemon training in the sense employed by Elise and her human comrades is a somewhat recent development, its origins found in the struggle of the great war decades past. Prior to that, Pokemon tended to be viewed as pets, tools, or weapons, as opposed to a position of partners and allies. It's unlikely they would be found in high numbers at a social event that adhered to pre-war custom.

Marshmallow on

While Elise us talking to the party goers, Tanaka has a hushed half-conversation with Gigen. No one can quite hear the words, but from the spook's excited nodding, one could tell it is about something naughty.

When the monk is done talking, Gigen attempts to look casual up on his perch, listening to the conversion. Then, he hears the Magikarp man compliment his behavior, and decides it is the perfect time to strike. He drops the mask he was holding and vaults off of Tanaka's shoulders. Spinning in midair, he finds his target, Lady Arnest, deftly landing on her face, his cold fingers prying the mask off of her.

Gigen sticks it in his mouth and runs away.

"Oh no!" Cries Tanaka, voice full of incredibly convincing feeling. "Get back here, you scoundrel!"

"In my experience, they mostly seem to get how not to cause trouble with enough practice. I guess things are different from where you come from though."

"You didn't see us arrive, but I did see you looking at us briefly after we landed in the fountain. It certainly was odd, you being the only person who seemed to notice or care for our existence at all. That's an eerie feeling, honestly."

"Sorry, am I making you uncomfortable? I'm a bit lost here at the many culture gaps, so if you have some advice on etiquette I'm willing to listen."

This is about when Elise notices Gigen's antics.

"I don't think I need to be told my pokemon shouldn't do that, though."

Meanwhile, Schala approaches Gigen's discarded best-mask-ever, and cautiously picks it up with a vine.

...but it just doesn't feel right for her to wear it. She places it on a lotad's lillypad and then begins to walk to Clefairy again.

edited August 2015
    Forgot about the main reason I posted. Anyways...

Meanwhile, Ducky opens up his third eye once more, curious if this modest magikarp masked man might look any different than the rest of the partygoers.

Rawkking Goodguy on

Ducky turns his headache-fueled powers of perception on the nervous man, perhaps making the not unreasonable assumption that the fellow's nervous conduct and vaguely self-aware behavior might mean he's a little more 'substantial' than the flickering shadows of the other partygoers.

A hunch that doesn't appear to have anything to it, it seems. As with everything he looks at critically, the man seems just a tad more detailed than everything else, but that impression disappears as soon as he turns away, and the masked man becomes just another feeble wraith in the corner of his eye.

And then Gigen does a thing.

The Sableye wrenches loose the mask from his quarry and scurries off, revealing the severe features of a red haired women now deep in the throes of overwhelming astonishment.

"Oh dear," the Magikarp mask laments quietly.

After a few stark moments to comprehend what just happened, Lady Arnest's expression goes through a gruesome transformation from abject surprise to barely suppressed rage. "You," she growls, aiming an accusatory digit in Tanaka's direction. "Make your... animal... bring back my mask."

For all the potential furor this situation could be creating, no one outside the immediately involved persons seem to be taking much of an interest, including Tanaka's drunken friend who is taking the interruption as a chance to lift the bottom of his mask up sufficiently to down the rest of his glass.

...Though honestly he might be legitimately more interested in his drink than the mask theft.

edited August 2015
    ~The Final, Completely Unrelated, Section~ :whistle:
    Adjusting his grip on the upheld Apricorn, Amaranth's thumb brushes across the release stud on the front the device, the sphere clicking open as it disgorges its captive.

"I return to you one of your subjects," Amaranth announces.

A whirling cyclone of energy arranges itself on the ground in front of the Lord of the Forest's servant, slowly coalescing into a coherent form. Rocky grey skin ripples as the muscles beneath power the extension of two bat-like wings, armored plates of stone shifting aside to reveal a massive, tooth-filled jaw. A long, spike-tipped tail whips itself against the floor for balance as the revived Pokemon unsteadily gets to its feet.

Before the Lady of Cinders can react to this unexpected tribute, a startled cry of recognition echoes from the rafters above. As bemused cultists twist and turn on their perches to claim a glimpse of the source of the shout, a bedraggled hooded figure, adorned with feathers and strips of colored fabric half climbs and half falls to the floor.

Completely heedless of her audience, as well as the stunned stares of both Amaranth and the Lady of Cinders, the sprinting woman throws off her hood to reveal cropped, blonde hair hanging loosely around a dirty, soot-marked face. Flinging herself at the Aerodactyl, she presses her hands against its shoulder and chest, as if to reassure herself that the Pokemon is really there. Finally certain of its solidity, she throws her arms over its rugged neck and hugs it tightly. A gesture the Aerodactyl tolerates complacently, but drives both Amaranth and the Lady of Cinders to nearly take a step backwards in shock.

Amaranth is the first to recover, dragging his gaze away from the unusually emotional reunion with a shake of his head. "My Lord and Master," he declares, calling the Lady's attention back his way. "Requests an audience."

Affixing her penetrating, golden stare on the knight, the Legendary's head bobs a few times in consideration.

"Yessss," she hisses.

Fanfiction time is over :whistle:

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2015

Elise looks at Ducky, then at the magikarp masked man, then back at Ducky. Ducky shakes his head, nope.

"From my experience, I don't think your friend is going to be getting that mask back, I hate to say. Maybe she can find a new one?"

"And can you do me a favor here? Do you think I could get an audience with whoever is in charge?" Elise says at a tone loud enough to be overheard, looking over the magikarp masked man's shoulder to indicate that even though she may accept an answer to him, she's perhaps hoping someone else will answer her query. Someone who isn't a possibly fake dream person.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    Fake dream persons have feelings too.

Schala finds the Clefairy just as anxious with his surroundings as ever, incidentally.

The Magikarp man doesn't immediately reply to Elise, instead focusing his efforts on calming the irascible Lady Arnest as she continues to angrily mutter abuse at the Monk and his Pokemon. Slowly it dawns on the noble that not only is she not getting any reply, she's now being entirely ignored. Without any apparent movement on the part of the party-goers, she appears to be the center of an increasing circle of empty space.

"I suppose that would be me," a soft voice answers from behind her. "In this place, at least. There are many others."

Defying the circumference of solitude that has grown up around Elise, a new figure is now nearby, sporting a cloak much like the others, and a yellow mask with pointed beak, sweeping crescents on either side of it, and a dark pink tuft on its forehead.

To forestall the inevitable question, to Ducky's vision she appears very real.

edited August 2015

Tanaka soaks up the woman's abuse with a calm smile. It didn't have the effect he wanted, but oh well. At least it livened things up a little.

When the new person appears, the monk turns to her and bows.

"Hello, ma'am. Thanks for inviting us to your party."

Shock G on
    Let's maybe try a thing with trainer actions.

Each Rank in a Trait grants you a Trait Token. Those Trait Token may be exchanged to perform an Exploit, which is more or less a mini, pre-approved Wager-success. Trait Tokens regenerate the same as Voltage.

Mini wager-successes are actually things I've already been doing, rying to match narration results to your Traits in order to keep things moving and not rely too much on full-wagers that might slow the game down further than it already is (heaven forbid).

With this, some of that mojo gets placed into player hands. It won't really make your characters any more powerful per se, but you'll get to pick and choose where to get your cool moments a bit better. Might as well see if it helps any/makes neat stuff happen.
    Physique Exploits

Embarrass a Lesser Foe
    - You could beat this opponent easily, this Exploit means you make it look easy, defeating them with style.

Hold Your Own Against a Superior Foe
    - You shouldn't really be able to stand your ground against this guy, and yet somehow here you are.

Destroy a Physical Object
    - Bust down a door, snap the ropes binding your hands, snap a chain, bend iron bars.

Endure a Painful Situation
    - You shrug off a an event that might otherwise cripple you, emerging stoic, motivated, or angry as hell.

Knowledge Exploits

Research to Reveal or Confirm Facts
    - Discover a crucial bit of info, or confirm or deny a suspicion. If what you want to know can't be found where you're at, you know where you can go to find it.

Socialize
    - Get a good read on a person. What are they feeling? Are they being up straightforward with you, or evasive? Is there something they don't want you to know?

Awareness
    - What's unusual or exploitable about the environment around you? Is there something here that doesn't belong? Has someone left something important behind? Is there something here you can use?

Mobility Exploits

Acrobatic Approach
    - Get somewhere difficult or distant quickly and easily. Alternately, move somewhere in a flashy, impressive manner.

Stealthy Approach
    - Get somewhere with no one noticing. If someone has already noticed you, dodge their suspicions, maybe they didn't see something after all.

Evasive Approach
    - Get somewhere that someone is attempting to actively stop you from getting, or evade the motions of someone trying to catch you.

Pursuit
    - Chase someone down, stop them from escaping. Outmaneuver someone trying to get past you, or put you in a difficult position.

Network Exploits

Backpedal
    - Just said something you regret? Play it off like nothing happened, and no one will take it seriously. Any offense is forgiven, a slip of the tongue is forgotten, take your foot out of your mouth, and start over with a fresh slate.

Commanding Presence
    - Imbue your words with a little extra force of personality. Any command, promise, or threat you make is given full consideration and a little extra weight, even if someone would otherwise ignore or be disinclined to believe you.

Fascinate
    - Something about makes you irresistibly interesting to your target. Someone now thinks you'd make a good ally, is infatuated with you, or really wants to see what makes you tick, even against their better judgement.

Friends in All Kinds of Places
    - You know someone here, or someone knows you, or you otherwise have an unexpected but handy acquaintance in the area.

Voltage Exploits

Flash Some Cash
    - You have (or appear to have) enough cash on hand to make a small problem go away. A small bribe, a quick purchase, a flash of a few bills to get somewhere classier than you ought, etc.

Luck is in Your Favor
    - Something that could go either way, inexplicably goes your way instead. Call a coinflip, choose the right path in a fork in the road, or have a blind gamble pay off.

Just What You Need
    - You just so happen to have the right tool for the situation at hand. A torch, some rope, a small knife, etc, etc.

Trait Exchange
    - For two Voltage, use a Trait Exploit of your choice.

The new lady gazes stoically at the monk, or at least that's how it appears. The eyes of her mask are opaque lenses of pinkish colored glass, so it's difficult to tell where she's looking or what she's feeling.

"It's nothing," she replies, sounding a bit sad. "What is it you want?"

edited August 2015

"Ah, hello! I'm Elise Corbeau, it is a pleasure to meet you." Elise hails the new arrival, trying to hide her earlier fear of what this scenario could entail.

"Considering, how, uh, supernatural things here are, I guess you are a servant of a pokemon of legend? I was mostly curious what kind of situation we have found ourselves in. Not knowing what is going on makes me a bit nervous, but this is also pretty interesting... the pre-war setting especially."

Schala, meanwhile, is super excited. A new arrival! Schala points out the servant to Clefairy and then runs up to the little congregation of two trainers and one likely legendary servant. She runs up to the little congregation and eagerly looks around and behind the servant, to answer another very important question:

Is there... is there a pokemon with her?!

So I got two network point thingies to burn? Might as well use fascinate on this new arrival, to start out with a good impression.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2015

The newcomer tilts her head inquisitively at Elise's proper introduction. "I am... Calypso, I suppose." Her head turns, presumably taking in the distant and wholly distracted party-goers. "This is my dream. I apologize if it seems strange to you. It's just a memory, so it doesn't know what to make of you." She sighs.

"I served a Legendary Pokemon once. They're gone now. There are other Legends who are known here, but they don't stay. They don't dream. There's only me."

Clefairy doesn't seem at all as pleased as Schala about the mysterious person when the Oddish points her out.

Clefairy4.pngHer face looks just like... hers.

Clefairy1.png What
    is this?

To Schala's probable disappointment, the newcomer hasn't seemed to have brought any Pokemon with them, though they do step back uncertainly at her approach and subsequent investigation. Maybe they've never seen an Oddish before, or at least one not like Schala.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2015

Ducky waddles over to see what all the commotion is about, staring at the servant with his blank stare.

"Oh dear, gone? That's sad news. How did that happen? I thought pokemon of legend were immortal."

Schala is distracted from the soul-crushing lack of a servant pokemon by Clefairy.

SchalaNervous_zps6a9a6649.png I've seen this before. There are people who serve pokemon like your old mistress. Maybe she's one of them?

SchalaNervous_zps6a9a6649.png The other servant I've met had some kinda sharp-toothed plant pokemon helm. Kinda reminded me of bellsprout, not a pokemon of legend

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2015

Ducky continues staring at the unexpectedly real figure, and inevitably they turn to face him. There's something just as disturbing in the detail and attention put into the unknown Pokemon's visage as there is in the impressionistic lack thereof in the other party-goers. The way the mirrored lenses of the eyes are entirely opaque to him, and yet do nothing to block the sight of that within, is worryingly evocative.

Not really evocative of anything in particular. Just generally evocative. Roscoe would no doubt make mention of ominousness if he were out of his Apricorn.

"Immortal does not mean invulnerable," the lady replies to Elise, still watching the Psyduck. "Even the strongest can be weakened, reduced, trapped," she waves a hand at your surroundings by way of example. "Driven elsewhere. So it seems to be with the one I once served, as it is with so many who once ruled the wild and natural places."

"By all means I should hate this place, this dream." Her arm slowly slumps back down to her side. "But I was happy here, I think, and so it is here I remain."

Clefairy1.pngThat may be...

The Clefairy reluctantly concedes.

Clefairy4.pngBut look, there's something fishy here, can't you feel it?

Clefairy1.pngThere's no other Pokemon, we're outnumbered by... whoever these humans are. There's absolutely no way this place isn't... some sort of trick or illusion.

Clefairy1.pngIt's not safe here. We should leave before things get weirder. Or someone tries to stop us.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2015
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????
    "Come on Elise why ask that we literally just-" his hand goes over his mouth.

He whispers talks with the puppet on his right hand, "do you think there's real sad lava frog dude wandering around now?"

"Uhhh real sorry you lost your poke ma'am, that's gotta be rough." He

Makai releases roscoe and fenrir.

"You guys feel like your dreaming?" He whispers to his pokes with his left hand puppet. "You never seem to be phased by psychic nonesense Fenrir."

NeoToma on
    edited August 2015

"I suppose what I should have said is that aren't pokemon impossible to destroy in general? If one loses its physical form all you need to bring it back is a place in tune with its type. Even if you can't find that they can generally reappear with sufficient time, and then they can migrate back to the environment suited for them."

"I suppose with legends, they have a lot more strength to restore if defeated. And they kinda are the environment they rule over, so if that is besieged..."

Elise pauses for a moment.

"...if her loss was like so many who ruled once wild places, it was probably the malignant influence of humans on the domains of pokemon of legend that the Lord of the Forest's servant told us about? Which leaves no real hope of bringing her back, since that's a problem no one seems to have yet found a solution to..."

Elise trails off, then suddenly realizes something. She takes out the feather she received as a gift from the group of Clefairy she met earlier out and compares it to Calypso's mask.

Meanwhile...

Schala thinks for a bit, and has to admit that Clefairy's objections might be meaningful. So...

SchalaNeutral_zpsfbc29090.pngHmm... we aren't doing much without a pokemon of hers to talk to, so... let's go look around for a way out, and any other clues we can find!

:whistle:

SchalaHappy_zps9248b914.png Roscoe! Fenrir! Gigen! Ducky! Let's look for clues to what is going on and map out this dreamscape!

What fantastic adventures will this group have in this novel environment?!

Mystery dungeon time? [Y/N]

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited August 2015

The two released Pokemon share a glance at Makai's query, then turn to observe their unusual surroundings with mild canine irritation and a steely, trubbish gaze, respectively.

TrubbishOminous.png ...

TrubbishOminous2.png Are You thinking what I'm thinking, Fenrir?

Houndour2.png No.

HoundourRight.png I'm thinking I will never think the same thing you're thinking because the thing you're thinking is probably stupid.

Trubbish.png Really? 'Cause that's exactly the thing I thought you were thinking!

HoundourUgh.png Ugh.

They seem to be feeling pretty aware and awake, though Fenrir would probably prefer otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calypso watches mildly as Elise muses aloud, still as a statue. Then the noble rummages out a still-rather-pristine-looking feather and holds it up for comparison...

Key_Lunar_Wing_Sprite.pngCresselia.png

Yeah, no real similarity there besides kinda the shape. Weird.

MarshGrr.png Infuriating, even. That would've been a great clue. Thanks, Hariyama.

Nevertheless, the feather seems to have grabbed the lady's attention, revealed by a yet another tilted glance of curiosity.

"A Lunar Wing. Where did you find that?" She asks, her tone a few small degrees colder than it was before.

Marshmallow on
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????

"Oh that old thing? Ha ha who knows? Adventurers like us are always bumping around in the dark and picking up things of dubious origin or importance. Ha ha ha."

The hand puppets look back and forth from the big head and the lady. Nodding in over zealous aggrement with Makai.

He wonders if the poke he caught would be useful if things get hairy. Sun beats moon right? He must have been asleep in class that day.

Dangit Calypso, why can't you trust us with the secret of the Dragonballsgeneric plot devices to bring back an extinguished legend?

I refuse to believe it's impossible.

(The legends all seem cool enough that I wish I had a more mystically-oriented character at times like these.)

Elise feels morose at so many of her clarification requests go ignored. Well, looks like it's 2 for 2 on potentially friendly servants being as equivocal as...no, even more than expected. The fact that the prismatic cultists were a lot more honest and straightforward is meager consolation.

She wonders why Makai feels the need to cover for her regarding an event he didn't witness. She decides he doesn't know if it's a good or bad story to tell Calypso, so he was looking out for her interests.

"It's simple enough, really. My oddish, Schala, and I ended up in the crater on the mountain, where we met some surprisingly conversational Clefairy. At the conclusion of our time interacting with them one of them presented this... Lunar Wing, as you call it, as a gift. Is it important in some way?"

edited August 2015
    Headerz.png

~???~

Calypso turns to look back and forth between the ninja and noble addressing her question.

:whistle:

"Important?" she eventually echoes, sad and uncertain. "Yes... no," she amends. "Not really. Not anymore." Apparently sensing this is a poor answer, she continues.

"They possess a simple power. Protecting their holder from the burden of nightmares," she explains. "That sort of thing was important to me, once. They used be a powerful sign of favor," she reaches with the fingers of one hand, almost involuntary, towards the feather upheld in Elise's grasp.

"No longer, if Clefairy merely hand them out as gifts." Her hand slumps back to her side. "Even if I took it from you, it is no nightmare that entraps me, but memories." she pivots to once again behold the party going on around you all, turning her back to you. "Even if I could be free of them, perhaps I do not deserve to be."

The clock on the mantelpiece begins to chime. The first of thirteen.

You don't have a lot of time.

Marshmallow on
    NeoToma wrote: »
    He wonders if the poke he caught would be useful if things get hairy. Sun beats moon right? He must have been asleep in class that day.

This would be a Knowledge thing typically, but what the hell I got some words handy.

~???~

In his experience thus far, Pokemon with ties to the moon seem to be of the Fairy or Psychic Types (or both). Though Fairy attacks tend to do poorly against Fire Typed opponents, Makai recalls that his inquisitive actions earlier revealed Solrock to be a Rock/Psychic type, despite its fiery, solar appearance.

Neither Fairies nor Psychics have any particular weakness to the Moves you've seen Solrock use, but neither are they notably resistant, so you could feasibly count on Solrock's uncommon level of raw power to see out a battle. Provided of course that your enemy ends up being something the Solrock is more likely to attack than yourselves, considering it was pretty ticked off at you all last you interacted with it.

Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    ?????

"Look I, I can't righty say I know entirely what going on here. But this isn't right. It's not...healthy so stay in in place dwelling on the past to long. People are like a, a, Sharpedo I guess. We gotta keep racing forward or we're totally donezo! Which is why as much as we'd like to help, we gotta get outta here. I promised things. To myself and my Pokemon. And I cant get to those things if we hang out in the musty old cave."

"No offense."

"If you'd like, if you'd show us the way. We'd be willing to take you with us. Old memories are good, but you can't let them ger in the way of new memories to be made."

edited August 2015

~???~

"Well, I agree with Makai...mostly. There is a time and place for mourning, but it seems like you've been here for a while. Still, whether to go with us or not it is your decision to make.

I don't think that means you have to give up your connection to your Mistress, though. We've had quite a few encounters with legendary pokemon in our travels. In the future, it's entirely possible we'll find someone who might be able to help your Mistress. It just doesn't seem likely that someone is in this mountain, considering how long you've been here."

Elise clears her throat. "Also, I think my psyduck wants to help you out. Otherwise he would probably have lost interest and done something else."

Now that the attention has returned to Ducky, it appears that Ducky has in fact continued to stare at Calypso this whole time, even though it was not mentioned last moment. Upon hearing Elise's words, Ducky slowly nods, almost imperceptibly.

"On the topic of us continuing on our way, is this particular dream event going to end soon? What happens after that?"

Rawkking Goodguy on