As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hmm.

Random Style
    When this Move is used, the User gets to choose one aspect of it (Category, Type, or Style). The other two aspects are rolled randomly.

Basically the "Metronome" style. Could be kinda interesting, since you could do stuff like guarantee you'll do a Super Effective attack, but have no idea on if you'll end up with a Fire Spin or a Fire Blast, or get a Locking Style when you need it, but have no idea what Type or Category it will end up as.

Kinda neat idea. Could save you some Exp over getting like a dozen Moves for every occasion with the caveat you only can control it a little bit.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Man, random style sounds aces. I sorta wish I didn't spend a bunch of exp on some moves now.

Elise Corbeau - [Social Knight] - 4/4
    [PKMN]

~Quartz Outskirts~ :whistle:

"Yes father, I'm just fine." Elise hugs the nidoking with a warm smile.

"How are things in Malachite?" Elise queries, Ducky tilting his head to one side to punctuate the question.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Anytime I change the system in any way, you're free to remix your character/pokemons if you see fit. No issue with refunding yourself some Exp and grabbing a Random Style if you'd like.

And yeah, it was probably made with you in mind, what with Ducky being king of Move coverage, and Clefairies.

Elise & Co. :whistle:
    ~Quartz Outskirts~

As his Pokemon lumbers away, Lord Corbeau places his hands flat on the table, for the moment settling away any further concerns about Elise's well-being in light of her apparent haleness.

"In a word, fractious," he says with wry mildness. "Since word of our own Cultist attack has spread, there's been renewed interest in the defensive capabilities of our city, especially among the elder families. Armory audits, readiness drills, and of course an increased demand in household men-at arms. A tempting career choice for the guardsman looking for something a little more independent, I suppose," he adds, carefully.

"A few squabbles among nobles, taking the disruption as a chance to settle some old scores. The question of bringing the Academy back into the fold of Malachite's military was brought up again, unfortunately, so that's put the faculty in a uncooperative mood for the last week." He straightens a pile of papers absently.

"Of course, when your letter arrived, things progressed rather quickly. To a state of not progressing at all," he adds dryly.

"I believe some half dozen councils of concerned citizens are even now still deliberating whether to offer aid, deny aid, send the Rangers to investigate, have everyone hide under the city's collective couches and pretend no one's home," he waves a hand dismissively. "So on and so forth. Still, if everyone is sitting on their hands at least that means they aren't likely to hurt one another in the meantime, or themselves."

"How fares New Quartz, then? Things appear quite stable at the moment," he continues, in a slightly congratulatory tone. "Somewhat surprised to find it relocated, but then there isn't anything in life that stays the same, I fear."

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Makai Amakusa - [Ninja] 5/5
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM | Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe

"I'm honored." He unbows.

Iktomi sniffs. She moves to the left of the blue poke and sniffs again.
    Is this a bug or a grass-type? Bugs don't have scent. Plants have scents. What is this guy.

"I'm sorry we met at such a messed up time, but glad we were able to help."

He looks down with some trepidation before blurting out. "Uh...would mind. Geeze. Would you mind sending a letter to my parents? I haven't spoken to them in a while and I don't think I'll be able to pen a thing before we head out to the next city. Also, this is TOTALLY the kind of thing they could totally throw in the face of those Tokisada bastards."

Makai catches himself and adds, "Not that I or The Amakusa have anything against those guys, if uh, you currently have any weird political alliances with the Tokisada clan."

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Been sick lately and lord knows I'll take any excuse I can get to be lazy about updating.

Makai & Co.
    ~Inuyagi Residence~

Observing the strange Pokemon intently, Iktomi eventually figures the oddly aromatic creature is of the Bug and Water Type.
    Spr_3e_283.gif
    Neat! Maybe they're distant relatives or something.

"I would be happy to oblige," Kiyoko replies placidly. "It should not be an issue to arrange for a delivery to Johto."

"Also," she adds. "Will you be attending the Rickenbacker function this evening? It is likely the other nobles of New Quartz will wish to show their gratitude for your bravery. If you are indeed planning on moving on soon, it will be an ideal place and time to secure additional resources or information for your journey."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last call for downtime business here. Rickenbacker Residence party will be the last, best chance to grab any lingering [Support] or NPC conversations/goodbyes you were planning on having before gettin' on with things. We needn't cover it in detail if people are eager to move onward, but it'll be there if you need it.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    [PKMN]

~Quartz Outskirts~ :whistle:

"I'm not surprised." Elise comments dryly.

"Yes, with the rescue of the inuyagi bride and rickenbacker groom things seem to have settled into a degree of stability, and Lord Jason laid down his control of the city once it was secured from the invasion. There's a lady from Cobalt Springs, Lady Dalinda Marybelle I believe, who is interested in joining the academy."

"Anyways, are you going to be attending the Rickenbacker function this evening?" Elise has, of course, heard of this thing that is happening.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    049_zps52779410.jpg

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka, Gigen & Numel ACRONYM="4"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="2"]N[/ACRONYM
    [Bell Bonze] ~ [Shakuhachi] ~ [Badling of Lotad] - [Well Supplied] ~ Volt: 4

Tanaka sighs. "Bad omens. I wonder if the Forest Lord regrets letting us pass..."

He rolls back on his haunches. "Who was that legendary, if you don't mind the question?"

Gigen spys what Hudson is doing with the lotad and finds it a wonderful idea. Very fashionable. He scampers into the darkness, intent on finding his own living accessory.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Sugoi.

Elise & Co. :whistle:
    ~Quartz Outskirts~

"Oh, most certainly," Lord Corbeau replies with a faint smile, flicking away a few papers with a fingertip before locating a gold-edged invitation.

"It will be an excellent chance to follow up on the missives you delivered. As well as express my wishes, both condolences and congratulations, to the soon-to-be-weds."

"Cobalt Springs? The ones with the blue tattoos everywhere?" He coughs quietly. "Well, that should be interesting."

~Spore Caves~ :whistle:

"Oh, well," Hudson replies, still a little dazed from his brief trance. "Appropriately, that would be the Lady of Shades, I suppose." He waves the Lotad in his hand evocatively as he continues.

"The full story is a bit hard to piece together, really. The other Legends rarely speak of her, and she has never publicly communicated to my knowledge. It could be she's captured somewhere, or banished, or perhaps there is a way to kill a Legend," he shivers at the thought.

"Unfortunately, the Lord of Magma ultimately didn't shed much light on that at all, did he? Your best bet might be to try and find another Legend willing to help you out." He tilts his head sympathetically as an unspoken 'good luck with that if you do'.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Alright, here's some basic shit about what's happenin' at the Rickenbacker shindig. Politics and whatnot. You got any meddling you want to do, get it on.

After this we uptime, and you damn well better head somewhere I can throw some enemies at you because I wanna do some battlin' already.

~Rickenbacker Function~

The stately Rickenbacker residence throws its doors open to New Quartz (or those who were invited at least). At once a victory celebration, a memorial event, and diplomatic function, the halls and rooms of the cliffside estate teem with those carousing, mourning, and negotiating, though most have the sense to keep the different activities well separated for decency's sake.

Local Politics

As Elise noted, with Eric and Kiyoko situated and largely accepted, the New Quartz situation has become pleasantly stable. The couple make a capable team, each managing to smoothly manage their sides of the the New Quartz political divide into accordance. The only remaining potential threat to continuing harmony would naturally be Jason Rickenbacker and his third wheel martial ties, and he has no apparent interest in regaining any sort of rulership clout.

Though he does seem rather grouchy and snappy, even for him.

Trade Agreements

The small Malachite contingent, headed by the immaculately polite and engaging Lord Corbeau manages to make some impressive headway with the New Quartz nobles. With a rare whiff of genuine enjoyment, and the demeanor of a shark among minnows, Elise's father makes sure the movers and shakers are well aware of Malachite City's friendly, open offer of mutual camaraderie and trade.

Though nothing of immediate substance is hammered out, there's apparently some among the Malachitian Guards and Academy students interested in staying in New Quartz for a spell, and quite a few New Quartzian residents eager for a change of scenery and perhaps a shot at an Academy education. For the two groups of citizens who have rarely, if ever, traveled out of sight of their town, the world is beginning to open up.

Lady Marybelle is, of course, just ecstatic.

Legend Business

Amaranth is, perhaps not so unexpectedly, present at the function. Clad in a finely tailored viridian and cream colored suit and looking completely at home amongst the local nobility, he meets curious glances with sly winks and gracefully disentangles himself from any conversation that tries to include him.

Except, notably, for the one between Eric and Kiyoko and Lord Corbeau, where he animatedly participates in the discussion of potential trade routes through the Malachite Forest.

Eulogies

A few quiet groups mourn for the fallen in battle, blessedly few though they were. Of particular note is the Inuyagi clan, who make well and sure Lord Zenjiro's part in the struggle against Heatran is known and remembered, his sacrifice not to be forgotten. The detractors who had supposed he had fled in cowardice have little to say against this, though of them, Jason Rickenbacker makes little effort to hide his utter disgust at the praise towards the ninja's deceased leader.

Captured Combatants

Some number of the fleeing mercenaries were captured by the arriving Malachite military whilst they attempted to fade into the forest. The question of what, precisely, should be done with them is brought up briefly between the Quartz and Malachite delegations.

Given that New Quartz is ill-equipped to supporting a few dozen prisoners, releasing them without their equipment to walk home would likely put them in the Lady of Cinders' Cultist's hands, and releasing them with their equipment would be a bit risky, it seems most likely Malachite City will retain custody of them for the time being, until such time as a ransom and transportation to Johto can be safely organized.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Also I didn't mention it, but obviously there's pokemon everywhere in there. Just imagine them or something.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    [PKMN]

~Rickenbacker Function~

Elise interrupts the conversation about trade routes, as lovely as that is.

"Something also pertinent to the Lord of the Forest's operations is the fishing operations in Cremini Town, a village along the river that is shared with New Quartz.

Now that the flood has washed away all the waste, if you could avoid dumping foundry waste into the waters I'm sure Cremini would be very appreciative, and the Lord of the Forest would appreciate being able to reclaim the farmland that Cremini had to obtain from the Lord of the Forest's domain."

Zeal looks for a pokemon to witness her magnificent friendly brand of queenliness.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Elise Corbeau
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

The three nobles scoot aside to make room for Elise in the conversation.

"I think the Lord Corbeau mentioned something like that," Eric Rickenbacker replies, thoughtfully. "I don't think it should be too much of an issue to keep the river clear, we do owe our closest neighbors their livelihood. Perhaps we could even reroute some of the spring water from the cliffs. As the floods showed, we do seem to be able to corral quite a lot of it when needs must."

"Funny that it was all resolved so quickly," Amaranth notes. "I'd be surprised if they'd even started on anything yet, but of course I'm due a visit so I can assure my Lord's wishes are known in Cremini."

"What do you think, Elise?" her father questions, raising an eyebrow. "Would it be worth Malachite's time to stop by Cremini on the way home to see how they're getting on?"

Zeal notices Eric's Metang and Kiyoko's Surskit are hanging out with a clique of most Water Typed, noble-trained Pokemon around a fountain in a corner, though she spies that Lord Corbeau's Nidoking seems to have strong-armed his way into the gathering as well. She also recognizes the friendly Raichu, Mesi, near Dalinda, the tattooed noble thoroughly and excitedly monopolizing the attention of one of the Academy students, a bored looking Magmy keeping close to its nervous trainer's heel.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM | Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe

Eulogies

Makai with little fanfare or introduction makes his way to the fore of the assembled mourners. "Ehem, ehem." He coughs. "We are all touched by the loss of Lord Zenjiro. I may have not like, known him as long as long as you guys, but still in the short time that I had with him I managed to catch glimpses of what made him great."

Everyone assembled shares a solemn moment.

"Annnnnnd that is why, I will now honor him in the way of my people. By presenting you with a short theatrical retelling of the Battle of New Quartz!"

He flips his black hood down over his face. Then retrieves some marionettes from his satchel. Makai whistles and Fenrir emerges from his hiding place with a crude metal mask covering his face and brownish rug covering his body. The reluctant Heatran is less than pleased with this current state of affairs.

• Options
    Well, I have no idea how to follow up a post like that.

Makai Amakusa
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

Inuyagi and others alike take heed of Makai's announced performance with guarded interest, though a full quarter of those assembled immediately cover their mouths and briefly look in some other direction when Fenrir makes his arrival. They quickly recover from their strange affliction however, with only a twitch or two of the sides of their mouths, a few cleared throats, and a nervous cough or two to show for it.

This is a promising start!

• Options
    edited September 2014

Eulogies

Bolstered by the fact no one is telling him to stop Makai continues.

"Behold the legendary terror from the depths, the unholy croaker of heat, the infernal furnace frog, Heatran!!!" Fenrir idly paws at the mask on his face.

"Uh yeah so, Zenjiro and the town he loves dearly, under threat of Heatran. He must act now!"

"I must act now!" The puppet Zenjiro says and flings his cape dramatically. At his side is iktomi, covered is bright red paint. She's doing flips.

"But Lord Inuyagi, that's a legendary pokemon, fight against one such as that," in his other hand Makai is manipulating a little makai puppet. "Is Suicide."

The puppet masters deft hands make the dolls do a series of acrobatic leaps and flips and flourishes. Until they are face to face with the Heatdouran.

"Hey buddy, if you think I'm gonna let you burn my town you got another thing coming bub. " the Zenjiro puppet points at the fire type with a finger and draws a line in the sand with a foot. Fenrir looks at the thing then at Makai trying to understand. Iktomi chitters something and Fenrir barks at them. Makai goes to have the zenjiro figure attack and Fenrir immediately grabs it in his mouth and shakes its like a chew toy.

"Whoa! Hey no stop it, put that down. This isn't part of the, come on!"

Fenrir drops the now slightly charred Zenjiro, shakes himself free of his costume and walks off.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Geth showing solidarity with his fellow Steel Types, I see.

• Options
    Tanaka, Gigen & Numel ACRONYM="4"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="2"]N[/ACRONYM

"Why the long face, a-meego?" says Tanaka as he slides in next to the Lord Jason, in one hand an empty saucer, and in the other a slowly emptying jug of wine. "We won, the town's safe, everyone's happy!"

Across the room, Gigen stands in a crowd of lotad, chittering passionately. He's holding an old, mostly illegible book in his right hand, and to his left stands one of the water weed pokemon, who occasionally chirps agreeably with what Gigen is saying.

Every so often, the whole congregation erupts in a chorus of chirping.

• Options
    [PKMN]

~Rickenbacker Function~

"If you can spare the time it's probably worth a visit. Have you considered assisting Quartz with the rebuilding efforts?"

Elise turns to Amaranth. "And before I forget, thank you, Amaranth, for your timely warning on the Lord of Magma. I don't think this town would have survived without your help." And to think that he first seemed nothing but an equivocal neutral party.

Zeal decides that Gigen is worthy of some of her time. Three combee buzz around the spook in greeting as Zeal approaches regally. Watcha doin?.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Sorry for the wait, you know how it is.

Makai Amakusa
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

Makai's rapt audience watches as Fenrir does to Makai's performance what the dour hound more typically does to his enemies, ie. makes it go up in flames.

There is a small amount of somewhat hesitant applause.

Elise Corbeau
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

Elise's suggestion prompts her father and Eric Rickenbacker to share a brief glance, which Lord Corbeau breaks off with a shrug. "It seems as though New Quartz has its fair share of engineers, and labor to spare. Of course if there's anything we can do to help..."

"...We'll be sure to let you know," Eric finishes for him.

Amaranth replies to Elise's praise with a faint smile. "I was merely acting in accordance with my master's wishes," he says with a mildness at odds with the intensity of his gaze. "If only I had had more aid to offer, yet more suffering could have been spared, but alas," he adds wistfully, before brushing the notion away.

"Even so, the victory here has served the cause of peace," he continues, unabashedly. "The Lords and Ladies of the region will be loath to test the bounds of human mettle so soon after the Lord of Magma's defeat. You have earned some much needed breathing room; I do hope you will use it wisely."

While the Servant is distracted, Elise catches Eric and Lord Corbeau sharing another, slightly more concerned, glance. It's quite clear neither have much of an idea of what to make of Amaranth at this juncture.

Pakki Tanaka
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

The surly Jason Rickenbacker has firmly earned himself a wide berth next to one of the cliffside's balconies. From the look of the row of empty glasses along the railing, he's taken the isolation as a chance to get his drink on perhaps just as enthusiastically as Tanaka has.

The red-faced noble takes a moment to focus on the monk, visibly internally coordinating his reply. "Ah, but I was the one who was supposed to win," he replies in a tone too halting and slurred to be as scathing as he intended. "And I wanted the town to be safe," he continues drowzily. "but I realize - I could not do both. And so I've lost. And that is why I am unhappy."

"Sentinel," he calls to the corner of the balcony where his Crawdaunt is currently lurking. "Fetch me another drink." The Water Type rolls its eyes, but begins shuffling off into the ballroom all the same.

Pokemon
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

Other than Zeal, a few more of the otherwise unoccupied Pokemon at the event wander closer to Gigen's impromptu sermon to see what the hubbub is about. Notable among these are Dalinda's Raichu, waddling over to get out from under her tattooed noble trainer's feet for a bit, and the Lady Kiyoko's Surskit, which nimbly skates across the polished stone floor in between the crowd of gathered Lotad, casually employing the dazed Water Weed Pokemon as makeshift obstacles.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    [PKMN]

~Rickenbacker Function~

Elise doesn't have much solace to offer to the confused noblemen. Amaranth is just...maybe or maybe not equivocal, but decidedly Amaranth.

"Yes, we'll try our best to use the breathing room we have been afforded, though I am admittedly unsure as to how to proceed from here. All this business about being a blight upon the land is a lot to take in."

"Incidentally, I think some among our group expressed interest in traveling to Cobalt Springs next. Would you happen to know of any local Lords and Ladies of the legendary persuasion about that area?"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Elise Corbeau
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

"Well, if you've made some enemies, perhaps making some friends should even things out," Amaranth suggests.

"Cobalt Springs?" he muses after Elise's question, his mouth twitching into a nearly-suppressed smile. "A fine land, I think you will find, and an accommodating one. A few Lords and Ladies call it home, however all but one have few ties to any any terrestrial affairs. The Lord of Rivers is perhaps the one who might most easily claim dominion over Cobalt Springs, but he stirs but little from his torpor, and in his idleness that realm has grown into something quite interesting."

"Yes, I think you will learn much from that place and its people."

"Ah," he exclaims, clasping his hands together." But I simply must be getting on, I'm afraid. I still have quite a journey ahead of me." Turning to the two men, he bows smoothly. "I thank you Lord Rickenbacker for your hospitality, and Lord Corbeau for the pleasure of your company. Please excuse me, and enjoy the rest of your evening." He turns back to Elise while the two Lords murmur their assent.

"I look forward to the next time our paths may cross, Lady Elise. May the fates treat you kindly, and your skills serve you well."

Marshmallow on
  • Options

Turns out neither do I.

Makai Amakusa
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

"Wait, it's not over i haven't even got to the flood."
    On cue a trubbish stumbles out from behind casket excitedly carrying a blue tassel in each hand before it trips on a prop and falls over.
    "Alright." says an exhausted/embarrassed Makai, "Now we're done." He bows, picks up his stuff, and tries to avoid eye contact the rest of the night.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

Turns out neither do I.

It's a curse.

Makai Amakusa
    ~Rickerbacker Function~

With the ending of his impromptu showing, Makai's audience seems to feel far more confident in their appreciative applause. If it didn't turn out perfect, well, at least his heart is in the right place.

If anything should shake the ninja out of his funk for the rest of the evening, it may be that despite the fumbling re-enactment, he receives nothing but the utmost of continued politeness and respect from the quietly grieving Inuyagi, a welcoming acceptance equal to what they would offer their own.

And why shouldn't they? There will be time more puppet shows, and a story can only be told more proficiently with each telling, an actor may always refine his role yet further.

But there was only one battle against Heatran, one fight for the future of New Quartz, and that was the one that truly counted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That appears to wrap up all the active conversations/scenes at this point. Would we like to continue, or shall we call it done and (finally) start hitting some Uptime?

• Options
    [PKMN]

~Rickenbacker Function~

"Thank you Amaranth. Best of luck to you in your endeavors as well."

I think we're about done?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    'Kay then. Gonna assume the previous decision to hit up Cobalt Springs still holds.

~Preparations~

The group has some time to make any final arrangements for the next leg of their journey. Party members should have no issue procuring any material goods they feel they are lacking in from the grateful New Quartz noble families, or from the visiting foreign delegates. Though Traveling Supplies like trail rations, comfortable clothing, and camping equipment are almost always useful in some capacity, given the group's next route they may also find it useful to put together a Caving Kit full of supplies particularly useful for a cavernous environment, like rope and pitons, among other things.

New Quartz's Foundry district can also handle any blacksmithing requests the group may have. Since it's likely there will be some level of opposition to their travels through Mt Meteo, it may be useful to have a Newly Sharpened Blade or some Reinforced Armor on hand in case your loyal Pokemon need a hand combating their wild counterparts.

It might also be a good idea to get an idea of what sorts of environment you'll be dealing with, and the kind of creatures you're likely to encounter. The Spore Monks can probably give you a quick primer on Mt. Meteo Ecology or a short lesson on Legendary Insight if you're concerned about further interference from the inscrutable Lords and Ladies in the near future. The miners of New Quartz would also be happy to give you a few tips on Mine Engineering if you think that sort of thing would come in handy, perhaps on the off-chance you stumble across any interesting ores or fossils you'd like to safely excavate.

The ecstatic Dalinda can be persuaded to calm down long enough to tell of her Mt. Meteo Route Experience, providing valuable tips about landmarks and challenges that she took note of on her own journey from the other side of the mountain. Though it's unlikely you'll be able to follow her exact path, such information should still help keep you on the right track and let you know when you're getting close to your goal. Her expertise could also come in handy if anyone wishes to inquire about Cobalt Springs Tradition. Though it won't be of much help in Mt. Meteo, the group probably won't get a chance to learn more about their destination until they are already interacting with the locals, and being familiar with the etiquette, history, and ways of the native population can certainly help you make a good first impression once you arrive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actual update comin' up.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    [PKMN] [Shieldmaiden] [Halberd] [Carapace Brigandine] [Cobalt Springs Tradition]

Removed supports with cross, added supports bolded.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Well then, let's roll.

As for human beings, their days are numbered,
    and whatever they keep trying to achieve is but wind!
    Now you are afraid of death—
    What has become of your bold strength?
    I will go in front of you,
    And your mouth can cry out:
    "Go on closer, do not be afraid!"

~Mt. Meteo~ :whistle:

Within the mountain's twisting tunnels and cavernous galleries, the formerly ubiquitous drip and splash of water has been replaced by a deep and distant gurgle from far below, the crevices slowly draining the flood's remnants away into who knows what hidden darknesses. The atmosphere has taken a turn for the damp and muggy, a more humid cousin of that of the Spore Cavern, though luckily not nearly as itchy and irritating.

Trusting to their sense of direction as best they can in the dark and confusing pathways, the group steadily makes their way through the depths of Mt. Meteo. Though often forced to backtrack, halt to gather their bearings, and rest to regain the energy sapped from the grueling hike, the party makes fair progress, avoiding any significant setbacks or trouble.

For a while at least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The party's tunnel opens into a vast cavern, its confines dwarfing the flickering spheres of their light sources. The floor is studded with a dense littering of thin stalagmites, and presumably the ceiling is matched with an equal covering of stalactites though it's a bit too dark that high up to see for certain.

:whistle:

A loud, booming rumble shakes the group's stone surroundings, drawing attention to the center of the cave where a squat, dusty white form is hurriedly pushing its way between the stalagmites, easily spotted, despite its efforts at stealth, because it is quite obviously trying to keep on the side of the concealing formations nearest the party. Or in other words, whatever it's attempting to hide from is approaching from the far side of the room.

Elise quickly spots that the creature is a Pokemon of the same species that she encountered in the Meteo Crater earler, a Clefairy.

Beyond the reach of the trainers' light, however, the crunch of rubble underfoot and scrape of stone on stone announces the arrival of a duo of pursuers, their tiny silhouettes spherical and angular.

The growling roar from before repeats itself, now quite obviously emanating from somewhere on the other side of the cavern. Without warning, a blinding bright column of light spears out from midair, sweeping over the stalagmites and casting long, harsh shadows across the party's faces. Below the source of the searchlight, dank pools of murky water are illuminated, apparently caught in shallow, rocky basins before it could drain away.

What do you do?

~Arenas~
    Rocky Tunnel
    Creatures: Party & Pokemon
    Stalagmite Field
    Pokemon: Clefairy, Roggenrola A, Roggenrola B
    Murky Pools
    Pokemon: ???

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Poooosts

[PKMN] [Shieldmaiden] [Carapace Brigandine] [Cobalt Springs Tradition]

Elise and Zeal rush to to the melee to assist the Clefairy, Zeal and a swarm of combees striking a first blow.

Zeal used Aerial Ace on Roggenrola A! Shifted to Stalagmite Field.
    Elise shifted to Stalagmite Field

• Options

Tanaka and Gigen rush after Elise. There's an innocent to be saved, and glory to be won.

Tanaka & Gigen shift to Stalagmite Field!

• Options
    edited November 2014

Tanaka. Elise, and their Pokemon hustle on to the arena below, their movement quickly garnering the attention of the roaming Roggenrola, as well as the creeping Clefairy. The twin Roggenrola both give a sharp whistle, and the light projected from the back of the cave sweeps over, illuminating the stalagmite field from above with a fierce, piercing glow.

Elise, Zeal, Tanaka, and Gigen Shifted to Stalagmite Field

Zeal hovers between the needle-like stalagmites, wreathed in a veil of loyal Combee. The Vesiquen and her attendant subjects strike out at one of the waddling Roggenrola, using their aerial advantage to its full benefit.

Zeal used Aerial Ace!
    Roggenrola A took 3 Stamina and 1 Defense Damage!

Realizing that some manner of unexpected cavalry has come to save its bacon, the Clefairy steps out from behind cover. Raising its arms in the air, the Fairy Pokemon waves them back and forth rhythmically while giving a squeaky, repetitive chant.

Clefairy used Metronome!
    Give me a [Testing] move!

The air around the Clefairy crackles with an ominous humming, and several sparking orbs of yellow light flare into existence nearby. Though a little startled, the Clefairy firmly gestures at one of the Roggenrola and the orbs drift away at speed, leaving shimmering trails behind them.

The projectiles make contact with the sturdy Mantle Pokemon with a jolt, lightly singing its exterior but causing no noticeable ill affects. Whatever the creature's traits, it must surely resist whatever Type that attack was.

Clefairy used Eerie Impulse!
    Roggenrola B took 1 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!
    But Roggenrola B wasn't Tested...

The Combee-swarmed Roggenrola rallies itself, hunkering down and trusting in its heavy shell of rock-like armor. While it appears to be going fully on the defensive, Zeal and her Combee still begin to look a little bit sickly.

Roggenrola A used Absorb!
    Zeal took 1 Damage and 1 Defense Damage!
    It wasn't very effective...

The Roggenrola's surface glows, and the greenish cast on the Bug Types is drawn away into a cloud of motes, the stolen energy drawn away to fuel the Roggenrola's recovery. The experience leaves Vespiquen and company feeling slightly drained.

Roggenrola A recovered 2 Stamina!

The other Roggenrola approaches Elise, tooting shrill whistles out the hollow hole in its face. Its challenge delivered, it sprays a string of pebbles and rocks her way.

Roggenrola B used Rock Blast!
    But Elise wasn't affected...

Elise stands strong in the face of the attack, and the rocky missiles bounce harmlessly from her armor, leaving only a few scratches. It's quite clear that she just plain outclasses whatever offense the puny Pokemon can bring to bear.

The Roggenrola appears to have come to this conclusion as well, chirping a sharp alarm that causes the light from above the murky pools to drift across the field to rest upon the Social Knight, limning her in a column of blinding incandescence.

~Arenas~
    Rocky Tunnel
    Creatures: Potential Trainers & Pokemon
    Stalagmite Field
    Trainers: Elise, Tanaka
    Pokemon: Zeal, Gigen, Clefairy
    Opponents: Roggenrola A, Roggenrola B
    Murky Pools
    Opponents: ???

Marshmallow on
  • Options

Gigen grabs the nearest Roggenrolla by its.... antenna? Neck? Rock... growth? and twirls it around like a stone in a sling, sending it sailing towards the dumb light shining in from the pools.

Tanaka gives him a thumbs up before following the Mantle Pokemon to its resting place. Best see everything we're dealing with, here.

Gigen uses CIRCLE THROW on ROGGENROLA B! ROGGENROLA B is shifted to Murky Pools!

Tanaka shifts to Murky Pools!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Makai Amakusa - [Ninja] 3/5
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM [Newly Sharpened Kunais] [Caving Kit]
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    Mt. Meteo

Makai and Iktomi are captivated by this light. Generally in their line of business if they see you before you see them, you've already lost.

On soft tabi'd feet Makai manevuers between stalagmites. The ninja gracefully trying to get into a position where it can see the source of the light without the light seeing him.

Meanwhile Iktomi is excited about the strange creatures, but decides it might be more fun to play a trick on them than fight directly. She connects the murky pools with a strands of webbing and then sends an electrical current through them.

Ninja + Mobile 3 to get a better look at the light source without being detected.

Electrify 2 on Murky Pools so that everything forced into the murky pools suffers electricity damage.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    [PKMN] [Shieldmaiden] [Carapace Brigandine] [Cobalt Springs Tradition]

A wall of combee shield Elise from the light as Zeal goes mano a mano with the remaining roggenrolla.

Zeal used Close Combat on Roggenrolla A! Elise is covered!

Elise follows it up with a downward chop of a halberd.

Trainer Attack on Roggenrolla A!

• Options
    It feels good, pretending to be Pokemon again. It feels right

• Options
    Three posts in one day, what a world.

@Shock G - Did you ever choose an Ability for Gigen from here?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Also, Tanaka is taking a Pokemon Attack. The Difficulty 6 means he needs to make a Physique + stuff Bid that equals that amount. The easiest way to do that would be to combine his Physique 4 with either an item of Support (for +2) or spend a Voltage and tag his Trait (for +2).

Alternately, he can just take the damage and be [Wounded]. No real reason to do that unless you really want to save your Voltage/Support though.

Using the cluttered environment to his advantage, Makai closes the distance to the intensely glowing sphere hovering overhead. Now that he's out of the direct aim of the beam of light emanating from it, he can see that it's an orange-ish, circular form that appears to be swiftly revolving about its vertical axis.

Makai stealthily Shifts to the Stalagmite Field

Scuttling through the same stalagmite-crowded terrain, Iktomi makes her way to, and among, the murky pools. Laying down fine wires of conductive silk, she rigs the placid ponds to surge with powerful jolts of electricity.

Iktomi [Electrifies] the Murky Pools
    The Murky Pools have become Hazardous!

Her efforts bear immediate fruit as arcs of crackling power zip along the surface of the water. From deep within the pools emerge a trio of soaked forms, one appearing to be another Roggenrola like the others, while the other two are purple, plant-like Pokemon that hop on a single, rocky stalk.

Roggenrola C took 2 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!
    Lileep A took 1 Stamina, 1 Special Defense, and 1 HP Damage!
    Lileep B took 1 Stamina, 1 Special Defense, and 1 HP Damage!

Their ambush foiled, the Roggenrola jogs into cover within the field of stalagmites, while the slower Lileep only just make it out of the electrified ponds.

345MS.png524MS.png345MS.png
    Wild Roggenrola Lvl 14 appeared!
    Wild Lileep Lvl 16 appeared!
    Wild Lileep Lvl 16 appeared!

The Clefairy once again tries its motion/chant routine, likely hoping for a more effective move this time around.

Clefairy used Metronome!
    Give me a [Testing] Move!

With a glimmer in its eyes, the tiny Fairy Type hauls a fist back, before swinging it forward and sending a roiling cyclone of energy at one of the Roggenrola.

Clefairy used Twister!
    Roggenrola B took 2 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!
    Roggenrola B was Tested!

Caught in the spinning column of wind and power and dragged out of cover, everyone can see that the Pokemon's thick rock shell is complimented with a shaggy layer of moss, making it a Rock/Grass Type Pokemon. It seems like the best way to harm it would be to crack its rocky carapace with a Fighting or Steel move, or chew or burn away its greenery with a Bug or Fire move.

The Clefairy beams, certain in the knowledge it helped contribute to the battle.

Meanwhile, Gigen enters the fray with typical aplomb, seizing the Tested Roggenrola and tossing it overhead and into the murky pools beyond.

Gigen used Circle Throw!
    Roggenrola B took 6 Stamina and 1 Defense Damage!
    It was Super Effective!

The creature smashes into the light above with a crack, before landing with a ker-plunk in one of the dark ponds. While the harsh light spins wildly above, all focus momentarily lost, a brief, bubbling whistle emanates from below as the unlucky Roggenrola is electrocuted courtesy of Iktomi's trap.

Roggenrola B took 1 Stamina Damage!

The Roggenrola doesn't surface, but a small cloud of faintly greyish-green motes do. Seems like Iktomi's cunning and Gigen's brawn was too much for the Mantle Pokemon to handle all at once.

Roggenrola B fainted!

Somewhat lost in the spectacle his Pokemon just orchestrated, Tanaka takes the time to weave his way out of the Stalagmite Field, carefully edging his way around the pools that still hiss and buzz with residual electricity.

Tanaka Shifts to the Murky Pools

The ray from the over the ponds flickers and fails, throwing the stalagmites back into shadows. The light that was formerly focused into a tight beam now serves as a burning, ambient glow around the Pokemon that was controlling it, a roughly spherical rocky creature bearing yellow, radial spines, and glaring eyes.

Spr_3e_338.gif

Wild Solrock Lvl 21 appeared!

Solrock.pngINTERLOPERS!

The Pokemon roars in a deep, thundering voice.

Solrock.pngI AM...

Solrock.png SOLROCK!

Solrock's Drought intensified the light!

The haze of the Pokemon's brilliant aura of light is as hot and intense as the noontime sun. The two Lileep below soak in the light and heat, taking strength from the Solrock's rays.

Murky Pools is harshly lit!
    Lileep A's offense was Boosted!
    Lileep B's offense was Boosted!

Turning its baleful gaze onto its previous target, the Solrock's face briefly glitters before a lancing streak of radiant light sweeps across the stalagmite field in grim imitation of its previously harmless beam. Where the attack contacts, the stalagmites sprout clusters of brightly colored crystal growths.

Stepping in front of their leader's trainer, Zeal's combee take the attack, their carapaces growing unwieldy patches of pretty, but heavy minerals where the strike arcs across their bodies.

Solrock used Power Gem!
    Zeal took 4 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!
    Zeal's Pressure Locked Solrock's Power Gem!

While her swarm shake off the worst of their unwanted jewelry, Zeal takes the fight to one of the nearby Roggenrola, pummeling it with a punishing series of wild, forceful strikes.

Zeal used Close Combat!
    Roggenrola A took 5 Stamina and 1 Defense Damage!
    It was Super Effective!

Coming up behind her Starter, Elise lays a further smackdown in the form of a chopping halberd.

Elise attacked Roggenrola A!
    Physique 5 vs... 2 Stamina!

The Social Noble's strike proves too much for the beleaguered Roggenrola's chipped and cracking armor to bear.

Roggenrola A fainted!

Hustling through the rocky terrain of the stalagmites, the remaining Roggenrola confronts the currently victorious Gigen. Adopting that curiously aggressive defense, it peels away energy from the Ghost Type, using it to repair a little bit of the damage it suffered from the electrocuted pond.

Roggenrola C used Absorb!
    Gigen took 2 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!
    Roggenrola C Recovered!

Apparently still seeking its original quarry, one of the empowered Lileep leans back before hurling a shimmering green ball at the Clefairy, knocking it into a stalagmite where it sits stunned for a moment, before seeking cover once more in anticipation of further ranged attacks.

Lileep A used Energy Ball!
    Clefairy took 3 Stamina and 1 Special Defense Damage!

More concerned with a threat close at hand, the other Lileep spots out the approaching Tanaka. Waving its tendrils evocatively, the stony ground beneath the monk's feet cracks and turns, thrusting up pillars of rock that threaten to trap him in place.

Lileep B used Rock Tomb!
    Tanaka takes a Difficulty 6 Attack!

~Arenas~
    Rocky Tunnel
    Creatures: None
    Stalagmite Field
    Trainers: Elise, Makai
    Pokemon: Zeal, Gigen, Clefairy
    Opponents: Roggenrola A, Roggenrola C
    Murky Pools
    Trainers: Tanaka
    Pokemon: Iktomi
    Opponents: Solrock, Roggenrola B, Lileep A Lileep B

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Makai Amakusa - [Ninja] 3/5
    ACRONYM="3"]P[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]K[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="3"]M[/ACRONYM][ACRONYM="0"]N[/ACRONYM [Newly Sharpened Kunais] [Caving Kit]
    Iktomi | Fenrir | Roscoe
    Mt. Meteo

Iktomi is very pleased her trap not only caught the rockmon that the ghostmon threw, but zapped some jerks outta of hiding. She skitter back and forth and does a little flip. After regaining her composure Iktomi decides to deal with those weird little trees. The Lightning Tick runs up on the nearest Lileep A and takes a couple bites out of it's fleshy parts before jumping up zip lining away on a strand of web.

Iktomi uses Bug Bite on Lileep A!
    Iktomi shifts to Rocky Tunnel!

Meanwhile, Makai does not like his chances against the defences of these stone pokemon. Especially that weird guy shooting beams. If Makai learned one thing from Academy it is Always Watch Out For Beams. AWOFB. Also it seems to be boosting the power of the dudes hiding in the pools. Can't let THAT continue.

Makai throws a rock at Solrock, then hides and observes it.

Makai is testing Solrock

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'll assume Makai is interested in learning Weaknesses, though you can use Testing to figure out a lot of other things if you prefer that.

Edit: Also, for level comparison, Gigen and Iktomi are about Lvl 18, Zeal is approximately 16, Schala is 14 or thereabouts, and Roscoe is Lvl 13-ish.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Makai wants to know what this "Draught" ability is all about