As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] Voltage: A No, No, No Sort Of Thing

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Split up.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    I know how you love it when we give you the opportunity to GM multiple scenarios, Marsh.

Easier to pick people off in smaller groups.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]
    Volt: 1 Exp: 3

Tanaka stops blowing on his flute.

"I thought the Firefields where most of the reason we came this way. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something." He places his mouth back on the piece and pushes out more notes.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Tullius [Calm 1/1][Praetor 3/3]
    *Timaeus [Loyal 3/3][Samurai 3/3]
    Orion [Melancholy 1/1][Scorpion 2/2]
    Volt: 2 Exp: 2

Tullius nodded. "Tanaka's right. Regardless, splitting up is a bad idea. We may not have run into anything dangerous yet, but that doesn't mean there's nothing dangerous out here." Tullius idly flips through the Codex, stopping briefly on the page where Orion is ensconced. "Shouldn't have to remind anyone here about that."

edited May 2012
    Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 4] - [Disciplined Dame 2] & [Exacting Executioner 4]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 1

This is the kind of relevant info those two should've included. It's all fun and games until you walk through jagged terrain in plate armor.

"Take the time you need." Elise smiles and leaves the two servants, joining in on the others' conversation.

"I agree; if the territorial pokemon is around it will find us easily enough, there's no reason to search for it. How are you all faring?"

Rawkking Goodguy on
    If only someone had gone to some sort of library and looked up good routes and stuff.

If only.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    What like some sort of nerd? Not likely.

Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Haughty 2] - [Noblewoman 4] & [Honorable 2] - [Protector 3]
    Volt: 2 Exp: 1

Even with Mistuhide carrying the pack trudging through the forest has been hard going, her woolen travelling cloak catching on brambles and branches and her stiff riding boots ill-suited for this terrain so Catarine is glad of a moments reprise.

'I feel,' she pauses briefly to catch her brief, and her composure before continuing; 'the less time spent in these woods the better, I can't imagine any good will come of lingering too long, or of spreading ourseves too thin come to that. We should perhaps scout these burned areas and leave as quickly as possible.'

She gratefully accepts a swig of water offered by her pokémon: 'all this traipsing around in forests is well and good but it is not exactly easy work.'

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Makai[Perceptive 2/2][Ninja 3/3]
    Iktomi [Swift 2/2][Trickster 3/3]
    Fenrir [Fierce 2/2][?????? 1/1]
    Volt: 1; Exp: 2

Makai let's out am exhausted sigh. "Alright, alright. No splitting up. Geez. I was just looking for a little excitement, honestly. Sorry spending all day wandering around this the dull old forest isn't my idea of a good time." The journey is beginning to wear on the impatient kid and has made him a bit cranky.

He plops down back against a tree again.
    Catarine and Mitsuhide

She gratefully accepts a swig of water offered by her pokémon: 'all this traipsing around in forests is well and good but it is not exactly easy work.'

"You got that right princess." he concurs with Catarine.

NeoToma on
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Catarine and Mitsuhide

Catarine smiles at the young man's comment, proffering him the canteen of water. 'Ha ha, I'm no princess, although I appreciate that you thought so, just a girl of noble breeding. And what of you? We haven't really spoken much, where do you hail from?'

Tanaka & Gigen
    [Manful Martial Monk 3] - [Willful Wisdom Seeker 2] & [Spirited Spectral Scrapper 4] - [Puerile Pest 1]

"Oh, come on." The music cuts off, and Tanaka hides his instrument in his sleeve. "This hike hasn't been that bad." Gigen, from his perch, agrees. "Got nice scenery. Nice feel about it. Serene. Serenery."

edited May 2012
    Elise & Zeal
    [Ambitious Aristocrat 4] - [Disciplined Dame 2] & [Exacting Executioner 4]
    Volt: 0; Exp: 1

"Especially nice now." Elise remarks dryly.

She pours some sickeningly saccharine sugar water into a small bowl, which all three of Zeal's heads get right to work on.

Laying out a linen sack in front of the group, she produces some provisions...a small green-hued glass bottle among them. The smell when she uncorks it identifies it as some kind of mead to the astute.

She also pulls out several relatively compact glasses. "Just treat it like a picnic in interesting, dangerous scenery." She pours the honey wine into the glasses, leaving them half full before putting the bottle back in the sack.

Rawkking Goodguy on

Tullius takes one of the cups from Elise, offering a nod of thanks before taking a sip. He immediately begins a fit of coughing.

"Hem, 'scuse me, went down the wrong pipe." For a politician, Tullius is a pretty terrible liar. He grimaces as he takes another sip. "Rest here a bit, then continue onward."

Tanaka & Gigen

"Man, Malachite Temple is more dangerous than these woods." Tanaka bends himself into a monkish, cross-legged sitting position. "Kick me when you guys're ready to set out again." He closes his eyes.

Catarine and Mitsuhide

Catarine smiles at the young man's comment, proffering him the canteen of water. 'Ha ha, I'm no princess, although I appreciate that you thought so, just a girl of noble breeding. And what of you? We haven't really spoken much, where do you hail from?'

Makai rubs his chin in thought. "Around. My family are kind of Nomads. Traveling hither and fro, putting on plays and such." He pulls a something from his pack. It's a small marrionette. Sticking his hand into a black glove he makes the little doll dance.

~Malachite Forest~

One of the porters perks up at Makai's revelation. "Know any good stories?"

NeoToma wrote: »

Makai rubs his chin in thought. "Around. My family are kind of Nomads. Traveling hither and fro, putting on plays and such." He pulls a something from his pack. It's a small marrionette. Sticking his hand into a black glove he makes the little doll dance.

Catarine and Mitsuhide

Catarine grins in a decidedly un lady-like fashion at the cavorting puppet, 'Oh, that's so cute,' she laughs, 'you make it look so easy! Certainly sounds like a wholesome way of life.'

Makai smiles a bit. "Ahh yea. It can be. It can be."

"I possess a few stories, but with finals and everything, I'm woefully out of practice." He thinks for a bit. "The Tale of Two Princes is a bit long, but it's probably my personal favorite."

edited May 2012
    Of particular note is the lack of information from the previous age regarding the peculiarities of these creatures. Studies of anatomy, psychology, capabilities, even simple methods of reproduction are curiously absent from the Royal Library's records. Is this due to a nearly unbelievable sense of disinterest on the part of my predecessors, were all relevant tomes and scrolls destroyed or mysteriously relocated in the years of the war, or was it simply determined that such knowledge was beyond mankind's ken? When such patently supernatural monsters routinely display powers beyond human imagination, let alone human understanding, it is perhaps not so inconceivable that it is only my own hubris that leads me to believe Pokémon can be explained using our current sciences.
    Prof. Thaddeus Bossan
    Acting Curator, Malachite Royal Institute

New System Time, What What

The Trainer

Come up with a Goal. This is a long term ambition that determines the trajectory of your character's story. When your character doesn't have something more pressing at hand to deal with, this is likely what they are working towards accomplishing.

Come up with a Belief. This is a simple phrase, philosophy, or bit of homespun wisdom which your character holds dear. If your character is confronted with a tricky problem or situation, they might consult their Belief to decide how to proceed.

Come up with a Fear. This is something your Character is deadly afraid of happening to them. When they might otherwise leap into the fray or stand confidently in the face of adversity, this is what could cause them to second-guess themselves.

Take 4 Ranks and disperse them between as many Traits for your Trainer as you like. The first Trait you take should be a relatively broad Trait, describing a career, background, or skillset you expect to cover approximately 3 types of action you will do over and over and perhaps several lesser skills that will come up once or twice. Additional Traits will be narrow Traits that cover one particular skill or ability. No starting Trait should be higher than Rank 3.

Pick a Weapon (or other item) for your Trainer. This item/weapon acts as a Rank 1 Trait whenever you're taking an action relevant to its purpose and the benefit can stack with the Ranks from a Character Trait. Expect these to break/malfunction/get lost if you fuck up while using them.

Finally, Voltage. Take your character's current Voltage, your current Exp, and your spent Exp and add them together. Add two to that total. That's your current Voltage. This shit is going to be crazy important.

The Pokemon

Name: [Same]
    Level: 10
    Species: [Same]
    Type: [Same]
    =============
    Loyalty: Friendly
    Demeanor: [Same]
    Need: [Same]
    Quirk: [Same]
    =============
    Weak: [Same]
    Resist: [Same] + 2 more
    =============
    Moves: [Same] but specify "Physical" or "Special"
    Assists: -Leave Blank-
    =============
    HP - # At - # Df - #
    Sp - # SA - # SD - #
    =============

Attack, Special Attack, and Speed start at 1. HP, Defense, and Special Defense start at 2. Got 5 points to distribute among 'em. All stats increase by 1 per point, except HP which increases by 2 per point.

Remember this? Same deal, except I no longer need a "Favored Arena" for moves. Also...

Assist - A Pokemon begins with one Assist at Rank 1.

Burrow - Fill or dig out usable tunnels through the ground.
    Burn - Unleash fire to set objects alight or destroy flammables.
    Chill - Create icy surfaces and freeze water.
    Corrode - Melt obstacles with powerful acid.
    Crush - Smash apart obstacles or destroy barriers.
    Cut - Slash through ropes or plant matter or clear paths through choppable terrain.
    Electrify - Charge things with electricity, destroy some objects and make certain areas very dangerous.
    Flash - Reveal hidden things and drive away darkness.
    Fly - Perform aerial maneuvers and carry cargo or passengers in the air.
    Gust - Blow away light objects or obscuring smoke or mist, clear the air.
    Intuit - Formulate plans independently and follow complex trainer commands.
    Soak - Create pools of water or widen fissures, put out fires and ruin stuff that water would ruin.
    Psy Power - Draw on background emotions to cause strange effects.
    Sneak - Take advantage of bad visibility to move unseen.
    Sprint - Perform feats of agility and carry cargo or passengers overland.
    Swim - Perform aquatic maneuvers and carry cargo or passengers in the water.
    Tackle - Shove obstacles out of the way or push heavy things, knock down flimsy structures.

Move Styles

Mobile - User attacks, and then must shift to a new Arena - (Wing Attack, Petal Dance, Hi Jump Kick)
    Charging - User Shifts to a new Arena, then may attack - (Flame Wheel, Rollout, Surf)
    Powerful - Shifts the Target into a new Arena - (Focus Punch, Headbutt, Hydro Pump)
    Offensive - The User, and Target, both Shift to a new Arena - (Wrap, Flame Charge, Tackle)
    Ranged - This attack may be used against Targets in adjacent Arenas - (Fling, Thunderbolt, Watergun)
    Priority - The User automatically attacks before non-Priority Users. Multiple Priority Users consult Speed as usual - (Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak, Mach Punch)

Locking - Target cannot use the last Move they used on their next turn (Disable, Confuse Ray, Lovely Kiss)
    Trapping - The Target cannot Shift on their next turn for any reason - (Spider Web, Mean Look, Whirlpool)
    Covering - The next time the Target attacks, they must Target the User - (Block, Wide Guard, Rage Powder)
    Testing - User discovers the Target's Type(s), and may choose to also discover either the Target's Active Moves, Weaknesses, or Resistances - (Mind Reader, Destiny Bond, Detect)

Finisher - This move never deals Defense or Special Defense Damage, any HP Damage dealt is increased by 1, this attack always deals at least 1 HP Damage. - (Shadow Punch, Aura Sphere, Faint Attack)

Boosting (Stat) - User recovers 2 Damage to listed Stat. May increase Stat up to 1 over maximum. Deals no Damage and has no Target. (Agility, Swords Dance, Recover)
    Refresh - User recovers 1 Damage to each Stat. Deals no Damage and has no Target - (Meditate, Acupressure, Mist)
    Harassing (Stat) - Deals no HP Damage. Deal 1 Damage to Target's listed Stat - (Growl, Thunderwave, Sand-Attack)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

STAB - When the User is the same Type as the Move used, the Move deals 1 Damage to the relevant defense Stat of the Target (ie. Physical = Defense, Special = Special Defense, Harass = Listed Stat) in addition to any other effects.

Weakness - When a Target is attacked with a Move they are Weak to, HP Damage taken is doubled.

Resistance - When a Target is attacked with a Move they Resist, the Move cannot Trap, Disable, Test, or Cover. HP Damage taken is halved (round down).

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voltage may be spent on a Pokemon to make any attack deal an additional point of damage to any stat, give any Move the "Priority" effect in addition to its usual effect, or activate a Pokemon's Assist.

Whenever a Trainer attempts an action, they secretly wager some (or all) of their Voltage against an amount secretly wagered by the GM. (Secretly means put it in a spoiler, I guess).

- The Rank of One character Trait and one piece of Equipment may be added to the wagered total. The player may opt to not wager any Voltage and only use their Trait/Equipment as their total if they like.
    - If the player's wager is higher than the GM's, their action happens and they pay one Voltage to the GM (unless they wagered 0 Voltage and only used their Trait/Equipment). If an intended action is particularly potent, the GM may also specify an ante that must be paid in addition to the one Voltage for success.
    - If the player's wager is lower than the GM's, their action fails and they likely take some sort of penalty, but the GM must pay them one Voltage from their stockpile.
    - If the player and GM's wager are equal, the action succeeds but the player must pay all of their wagered Voltage to the GM. Nasty stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything else is the same, woo.

Fenrir
    Name: Fenrir
    Level: 5
    Species: Houndour
    Type: Fire/Dark
    =============
    Loyalty: Neutral
    Demeanor: Vicious
    Need: Hierarchy
    Quirk: Cruel
    =============
    Weak: Fighting, Ground, Water, Ghost
    Resist: Dark, Steel, Grass, Fire, Ice, Psychic
    =============
    Moves: Crunch, Flamethrower
    Assists: [ Burn 1 ]
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 3 Df - 2
    Sp - 2 SA - 2 SD - 2
    =============

Fenrir - Houndour - Fire/Dark - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 3/3 | Df - 2/2 | SA - 2/2 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 2/2
    [ Crunch ] [ Flamethrower ] [ - ] [ - ]

Orion
    Name: Orion
    Level: 5
    Species: Skorupi
    Type: Bug/Poison
    =============
    Loyalty: Neutral
    Demeanor: Somber
    Need: Sweet Food or Candy
    Quirk: Hides Often
    =============
    Weak: Flying, Steel, Rock
    Resist: Fighting, Poison, Bug, Grass, Ground
    =============
    Moves: Poison Sting, Fury Cutter
    Assists: [ Burrow 1 ]
    =============
    HP - 6 At - 2 Df - 3
    Sp - 2 SA - 1 SD - 2
    =============

Orion - Skorupi - Bug/Poison - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 6/6 | At - 2/2 | Df - 3/3 | SA - 1/1 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 2/2
    [ Poison Sting ] [ Fury Cutter ] [ - ] [ - ]

Also, also: Each Starter Pokemon gets one new move which they may immediately slot into their active Move Slot thingummie.

Marshmallow on
    edited May 2012
    ~Malachite Forest~

The servant nods at Makai's response thoughtfully. "Perhaps later then, if you'd welcome the chance to practice your craft."

Marshmallow on
    oh shit

This is what happens when I only have to update like once a week.

I start doin' crazy shit like make new systems.

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Haha, that AV.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    Wait for it...

edited June 2012
    Goal: I will find my life's true purpose.
    Belief: Never let down! Stand on the side of good and never bend!
    Fear: I won't loose my friends. I can't.
    Traits: [Manful Martial Monk 3] [Willful Wisdom Seeker 1]
    Weapon: Fists of Fighting Fury
    Voltage: Voltage.gifVoltage2.gifVoltage3.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage5.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage.gif

Name: Gigen
    Species: Sableye
    Type: Ghost/Fighting
    =============
    Demeanor: Ambitious
    Need: Validation
    Quirk: Likes high places.
    =============
    Weak: Psychic, Flying, Ghost
    Resist: Rock, Steel, Normal, Bug, Fighting
    =============
    Moves: Shadow Sneak [Ghost, Priority, Physical]; Circle Throw [Fighting, Powerful, Physical]; Brick Break [Fighting, Harassing (Df), Physical]
    Assists: [ Intuit 1 ]
    =============
    HP - 4/4 At - 3/3 Df - 4/4
    Sp - 1/1 SA - 1/1 SD - 3/3
    =============

Tanaka - [Manful Martial Monk 3] & [Willful Wisdom Seeker 1] - Volt: 7

Gigen - Sableye - Ghost/Fighting - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 2/3 | Df - 3/4 | SA - 1/1 | SD - 3/3 | Sp - 1/1
    [ Shadow Sneak ] [ Circle Throw ] [ Brick Break ] [ - ]

actual post tomorrow

Shock G on
    Looks good.

edited June 2012
    Something like this?
    Makai[Ninja 3] [Traveling Puppeteer 1]
    Goal: To be the Greatest Ninja Ever!
    Belief: Victory belongs to the clever and cunning.
    Fear:
    Traits: [Ninja 3] [Wandering Puppeteer 1]
    Weapon: Shurikens
    Voltage:Voltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gif

Name: [Iktomi]
    Species: [Joltik]
    Type: [Bug] [Electric]
    =============
    Demeanor: Sassy
    Need: To be Challenged
    Quirk: Mischievous
    =============
    Weak: Fire, Rock, Ground, Flying
    Resist: Dark, Psychic, Grass, Water, Bug, Electric
    =============
    Moves: Bug Bite, Electroweb
    Assists: Electrify 1
    Abilities: -Leave Blank-
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 1 Df - 2
    Sp - 3 SA - 3 SD - 2
    =============

Iktomi - JOLTIK - BUG/ELECTRIC - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 1/1 | Df - 2/2 | SA - 3/3 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 3/3
    [ Bug bite ] [ Electroweb ] [ Electroball ] [ - ]

NeoToma on
    Looks very good, yep.

edited May 2012
    This about right?

Catarine Aurosii Demaské[Noblewoman 3] [Delicate Fencer 1]
    Goal: To better learn the wills and ways of the people of the land.
    Belief: Those of higher station are more important than the lower castes.
    Fear: That she will fail and bring disgrace to her family.
    Traits: [Noblewoman 3] [Delicate Fencer 1]
    Weapon: Épée
    Voltage:Voltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gifVoltage.gif

Name: Mitushide
    Species: Gallade
    Type: [Fighting] [Psychic]
    =============
    Demeanor: Proud
    Need: To protect the Demaské family/To regain his 'lost' honour
    Quirk: Chivalrous
    =============
    Weak: Flying, Ghost
    Resist: Fighting, Dark, Psychic, Bug
    =============
    Moves: Psycho Cut, Sacred Sword, Swords Dance
    Assists: Cut 1
    =============
    HP - 4 At - 3 Df - 3
    Sp - 2 SA - 1 SD - 2
    =============

Mitsuhide - Gallade - Fighting/Psychic - [ Weak | Resist ]
    HP - 4/4 | At - 3/3 | Df - 3/3 | SA - 1/1 | SD - 2/2 | Sp - 2/2
    [ Psycho Cut ] [ Sacred Sword ] [ Swords Dance ] [ - ]

I possibly missed some stuff out/messed up in there but I think it's correct

Halos Nach Tariff on
    'S good.

And hey, if you guys haven't seen the trailer for B/W 2 yet go find that shit and watch it immediately.

Tanaka & Gigen

"Oh, c'mon Mak, ain't like we got anything else to do." Tanaka picks up a glass of honeyed wine. "Regale us with the stories of your people."

Mechaaaaanics
    Elise Corbeau [Ambitious Aristocrat 3] [Disciplined Dame 1]
    Goal: Spread Malachite’s Influence Far and Wide
    Belief: Present a Strong Front
    Fear: Being without loyal allies
    Traits: [Ambitious Aristocrat 3] [Disciplined Dame 1]
    Weapon: Halberd
    Voltage:Voltage.gifVoltage3.gifVoltage2.gif

Name: [Zeal]
    Species: [Combee]
    Type: [Bug] [Flying]
    =============
    Demeanor: Affable
    Need: Structure
    Quirk: "Organizes" Unattended Objects
    =============
    Weak: Electric, Fire, Ice
    Resist: Fighting, Grass, Ground, Ground, Psychic
    =============
    Moves: Heal Order, Attack Order, Aerial Ace
    Assists: Fly 1
    =============
    HP - 6 At - 2 Df - 3
    Sp - 1 SA - 1 SD - 3
    =============

Dunno about those weaknesses and resistances, some overlap with the future BEST Oddish. Though ruining the day of fighting and grass types everywhere may not be that bad.

Yep, 's good. Fine.

3 Voltage? Dang.

Anyway.

Conversational lullls

Elise & Zeal

"Oh, come now," she chides, "any story is better than no story at all."

She glances at Catarine. "Perhaps you'd be able to share a tale of your homeland? News from afar is so uncommon!"

Tullius waited several uncomfortable seconds before he felt the need to fill the silence hanging in the air. "I know a story I could tell." He cleared his throat and began.

"A long, long, time ago, there was a great warrior. He doesn't have a name any more, but he was called the Man in Black. Like all true heroes, he was part man and part god. Back then, the world was broken and corrupt, and the Man in Black was sent by Fate for the purpose of cleansing the world of evil and bringing forth peace and justice upon the land once more."

"But the Man in Black did not fight alone. Like us, he used the spirits known as Pokemon in aid of his quest. The Pokemon he used, though, were far and away stronger than anything around today. It was said that he carried the living inferno in his right hand, and the force of the tsunami in his left." Here, Tullius opened wide both hands, as if to demonstrate the man carrying the two Pokemon.

"The Man in Black tore a bloody swath through the evil of our world; he was waging a one man war. But then, something that he did not expect happened. The Man in Black fell in love with a mortal woman, who my people know only as Persephone. It was said that her beauty was so great that the living inferno could not approach her, and her golden hair was so soft and perfect that the force of the tsunami daren't touch it. The Man in Black ceased his war for the purpose of courting Persephone, and she accepted his affection. The Man in Black made a vow that, so long as Persephone loved him, he would never take another life."

"But of course, this is not the end of the story. The man we call Consilus- the Betrayer- his brother had been murdered by the living inferno during the Man in Black's war. He sought vengeance upon the son of two worlds, but neither he nor anyone else could defeat the Man in Black in battle. So Consilus waited, and slew Persephone while the Man in Black was away."

Tullius gave a hint of a sigh. "Needless to say, the Man in Black was crushed when he returned. He took an oath of vengeance upon Consilus and renewed his war, only this time, he bore no restraint. With his right and left hand, he annihilated entire cities; he rained fire from the heavens and washed away the topsoil from farmland, obliterating everything in his path. Before, he had showed discrimination, leaving innocent and just unharmed, but no longer. He had decided that the entire world was evil, and there was nothing worth saving."

"Finally, after months of this destruction, the Man in Black found Consilus. The murderer stood unafraid before the wrath of the Man in Black, for, after all, what good would cowering or pleading do? But just as the Man in Black was about to smite Consilus and fulfill his vengeance, Persephone appeared before him. Her love for the Man in Black had allowed her spirit to pass, albeit briefly, into our world, and she looked at him in horror. She asked the Man in Black what he was doing, for he had sworn that, so long as Persephone loved him, he would never take another life."

"The Man in Black realized that, although Persephone was dead, their love endured. Seeing her again, however briefly, destroyed his desire for vengeance. He lowered his hand, and the living inferno settled. Instead, the Man in Black handed down to Consilus a book that he had penned while he and Persephone had been together, and then departed with her spirit to join her in the afterlife. That book was an index of the laws that the Man in Black had used to pass judgment upon people, and by bequeathing it to Consilus, he charged the man with rebuilding the world. Time passed, and the book was copied and amended with other laws that the old society had used, and eventually, the collected works became known as the Codex of Law. It is a copy of that book that I carry with me, that all Praetors swear upon, for Consilus himself was the first Praetor of our society."

Tullius ended his story with a pause. "The story is mostly a myth, passed down amongst my people for as far back as anyone can remember. But some aspects of it must be correct, because the Codex does exist, and a man named Consilus was the first Praetor on record. When I heard about those scorch marks in the forest, I couldn't help but wonder if they might have been caused by the living inferno that was said to be the right hand of the Man in Black."

"Anyway, I've got a few more stories, but I'm not much good at it."

Tanaka & Gigen

"What in Sprout's holy name was that?" Tanaka holds his glass of mead near his lips, the same place it's been for the last six hours. "Twenty years of spiritual conditioning, and you tear it all down with that steaming pile of folklore." He makes a face like a schoolmarm at a burlesque club. "Get out."

Tullius scoffed. "Oh, please. Better my society's folklore than your spiritual hokum. After all, at least some of my stuff is actually true."

Catarine and Mitsuhide
    [Noblewoman 3] - [Delicate Fencer 1]
    Volt: 7

'Well I liked your story Tullius,' she says, flashing the praetor a reassuring smile. A tale of tragic romance is always a favourite.

She fixes a measured gaze at Elise, 'I'm not much of a raconteur you know, generally other people would read me stories. Although there was one my father would tell when I was young which may be suitable:

"It regards, as so many stories do, the end of the Great Wars, the armies of the lands were scattered, or fleeing or lost. My father was in command of a battalion which had once formed part of a vast invasion force from across the sea. He never spoke much of his old country, he was only young when he went to fight, and I think memories of battle and conquest had scoured thoughts of home from him.

Regardless, the years of fighting dragged on and on, the troops, once strong and proud grew weary with the constant war. After a time no more reserves arrived from across the sea, and no orders either. What remained of my father's forces were embroiled in a battle which had been fought for almost three years, neither side gaining more than an inch of ground and both bone-tired of the constant stalemate. The will to fight was spent in my father, he had no orders, and no way to return to his homeland. So one morning he called to the opposing army and called for a truce. Ranks of muddied and weary men and women stood across from one another in once-proud livery whilst the officers talked long into the night. As luck would have it the enemy were stuck in a similar state of ennui, and were similarly cut-off from their supply routes and superiors.

My father and the opposing colonel agreed that continuing this fight would lead to naught but the slow death of every person present, with no contact from the higher-ups they saw no reason to stay this course and both mutually surrendered, vowing to strike a new life in this land they had come to conquer. Neither could agree on which way was best to travel however and so the two men shook hands and went their seperate ways, my father ventured west into the forests and foothills and the colonel south towards the coast. The soldiers and attendants of both forces were free to choose their own way, although many of my fathers former rank followed him faithfully as before.

Here I think is where he started to embellish his tale to keep me amused, his journey West was no doubt fraught with peril, he and his men were still a foreign military presence in a strange land, but he wove in such stories as battles with dragons, or man-eating plants or ninja ambushes which I'm certain are poppycock. He would always grow deadly serious as he told the next part however, as he spoke of the host of former soldiers in a land they do not know, lost in forests they cannot recognise and in the grasp of an encroaching winter they cannot survive. He suffered through hard times then I think, and lost many good friends. Had it not been for that chance, and strange, vision he beheld as he woke shivering one dark night it is safe to say that his tale would have ended very differently. As he opened weary eyes he glimpsed an odd blue light pouring from betwixt the gnarled tree trunks. Keeping an eye on it, and fearing the worst, he roused his troops and they advanced cautiously. Every time they seemed to be drawing near to the source of the bewitching glow however it would flicker away through the forest, always just out of sight. My father, at the front of the group, would say he had never seen a thing so beautiful, he saw only half-glimpses but he would describe it as a glowing sylph, an elegant form always keeping just out of a sight.

What remained of my fathers warriors followed the phantom through the dark forest, no longer caring for stealth or caution. Eventually the reached a large clearing, a huge blue moon shining in the skies above them. Of the sylph there was no sign, it was if nothing unusual had ever been. The men and women spread to searching for signs of their elusive helper but none were forthcoming, instead however they found a vast cave system, and plentiful supplies of edible plants which, if harvested quickly, would be more than enough to last them through the winter months ahead.

That clearing became the site of their new settlement, and you could not ask for a more suitable spot; ample materials, secluded location, fresh water and good hunting. They called their new home Battlesend, which is, frankly not exactly subtle but these were military folk, not wordsmiths. They forged a new life there, just as my father had promised his old foe and hung up the tools of war. They looked to my father as a two-fold hero who had led them from both death on the battlefield and in the forest and he governed them graciously for many years. As for the mysterious sylph my father and his closest allies oft spent days in the forest searching for any sign of their saviour, but always returned empty handed. Of course that did not stop them and the townsfolk from leaving out fruit and bread for the spirit, and erecting a shrine to honor it."

Umm, so that's my story, my father told it better, what with him actually being there and everything,' muttered Catarine, her face flushed, public speaking is not one of her fortés.

Awesome stuff. Also I'm out of town until Wednesday so I won't be too available for things until then.

Doesn't seem to be that big an issue though so keep on keeping on, I guess. I shall retuuuuuurn.

edited May 2012
    Well seen as my lengthy anecdote appears to have killed the thread I did a dood:

_166110.jpg
    You can even see me doodling it here: http://colorslive.com/details/166110-Brief_Respite_by_Halos.php

Apologies for my drawing ability with regards to your characters, I just spitballed it whilst commuting rather than checking in the thread for what they actually look like. Double apologies to Terrendos as I can't see Tullius as anything but John Egbert thanks to your avatar, so that's what I did.

Oh and extra sorry if I missed anyone out, I don't think I did but like i said I didn't actually check.

Halos Nach Tariff on