As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Primary 2012] Romney triumphs in NH, but his campaign is going South (Carolina) from here

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    PantsB wrote:
    Funny thing about that reference... it shows Republicans have been fantasizing about bombing Iran for over five years.
    Why are they obsessed with bombing Iran?

They looked at Iraq, and decided the problem with it was that it wasn't big enough, and didn't have enough people.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    I still maintain a lot of Americans--not all of them, but a lot--don't like the idea of a Catholic sitting in the oval office, even today. The track record isn't stellar: the only Catholic finished his term, quite early, with a giant section of his head missing.

There was or is a large creepy subculture of Protestants that would block another Catholic getting that far again. Not sure what organization they were called but they were in a documentary by Pelosi's niece.
    We can blame a lot of things on the Pope--the banishment of Liberation Theology, scandals, etc.,--but I think this one isn't his fault. Catholics represent almost a quarter of all Americans--and one president in the last 44! We've had a Quaker as a president, come on!
    America still has a long way to go with minorities being presidents and in high ranking positions in society in general. Latin America, Germany, Britain and Australia have already elected female president counter-parts before it has.

Women in office is a whole other issue--I don't think it's helped by the fact that the American President is both Head of Government and Head of State, which is seriously a sort of "big cojones" office usually reserved for military dictatorships or colonial administrations. Even Belarus has a Prime Minister. Unfortunately, vesting that amount of power in a single individual office can have the unintended effect of really limiting what kind of otherwise entirely competent people can be elected to it (and there have been female dictators--look at Catherine II. Or Indira Ghandi.)

The religious aspect is more uinquely American (though not completely), I guess smacking of this sort of latent idea of the country being a "Protestant" one--in this giant camp of Protestants--and that a Catholic president is directly in opposition to that. I would have thought this would have vanished by the 21st century, with the rise of non-Christian faiths in America along with an awareness of faiths even more foreign than dastardly Catholicism, but apparently not.

The funniest part of it is that, as far as I've ever seen, it's entirely one-sided.

Like, the Catholics just don't seem to give a shit about protestants one way or the other.

Ahem- Hellsing....

• Options
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    Funny thing about that reference... it shows Republicans have been fantasizing about bombing Iran for over five years.

They looked at Iraq, and decided the problem with it was that it wasn't big enough, and didn't have enough people.

I think we just like Hot Persian women.

• Options
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

To speak seriously after two jokes. The Republican party has defined themselves as a Hawkish war party for the last at least 3 or 4 decades. As such, they say this kind of thing to play into their image.

Don't mistake that as just pandering to their image. They are crazy enough to do it too.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

To speak seriously after two jokes. The Republican party has defined themselves as a Hawkish war party for the last at least 3 or 4 decades. As such, they say this kind of thing to play into their image.

Don't mistake that as just pandering to their image. They are crazy enough to do it too.

The problem isn't what the Republicans are saying these days, the problem is they've forgetten which things they're supposed to say and which things they're actually supposed to do

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

Closer to six decades, ever since Truman lost China.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The problem isn't what the Republicans are saying these days, the problem is they've forgetten which things they're supposed to say and which things they're actually supposed to do
    That's got to be the side effect Dubya's regime had by "molding" the 20% er's. Now they can't put a leash back on the monster they created.

• Options
    Rchanen wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

I don't think there has been a difference between what they publicly say and privately think (except on Gay Marriage, I am convinced that all the people who are against that are just in the closet) for decades now.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    The funniest part of it is that, as far as I've ever seen, it's entirely one-sided.

Like, the Catholics just don't seem to give a shit about protestants one way or the other.

The "catholic answers tract" my catholic friend gave me that went on a LONG diatribe about the evils of non-catholicism and why every church but the Pope's was wrong suggest otherwise.

Of course that was back in the late 90s, maybe they've mellowed out since they switched to Pope Palpatine the first.
    Gaddez wrote:
    Kipling wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

Israel fetish combined with nuclear paranoia fetish topped with the remaining neoconservative pundits needing some place they can talk about bombing.

Also: The US simply can't stop thinking of ways to fuck with them.

They've been wanting to bomb Iran since the Islamic Revolution. Just like the fact that there were "intelligence reports that prove Iran is 5 years away from a nuclear bomb" in 1985. It's not new, we just forget sometimes, for a while.

But this is all tangential, the good news is that Gingrick, filthy pig-beast that he is, seems to have finally slipped off the radar. This is a good thing because I find him disgusting and reprehensible on multiple levels. And I am aware of the irony of my bringing him up just now.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    PantsB wrote:

I don't think there has been a difference between what they publicly say and privately think (except on Gay Marriage, I am convinced that all the people who are against that are just in the closet) for decades now.

They used realize that 0% taxes wasn't actually an achievable or desirable goal

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    A little more on topic everyone...
    Nate Silver's projection as of midday Monday
    fivethirtyeight-0102-iowaupdate3-blog480.png

Romney is up to a 90% chance in NH according to the model btw.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    How can a .8% difference in projected range result in such a huge difference in chance of winning?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Boring7 wrote:
    shryke wrote:

The "catholic answers tract" my catholic friend gave me that went on a LONG diatribe about the evils of non-catholicism and why every church but the Pope's was wrong suggest otherwise.

Of course that was back in the late 90s, maybe they've mellowed out since they switched to Pope Palpatine the first.

Every church says the others are wrong, but that's not at all what's being referred to.

I've never seen a Catholic movement of "You can't trust those damn Protestants with the Presidency/Prime Ministers office/etc". Meanwhile, the opposite of this was apparently a big deal for Kennedy and is still a thing now in some circles.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    How can a .8% difference in projected range result in such a huge difference in chance of winning?

I think it has something to do with the fact that Ron Paul ALWAYS polls around there before the actual vote and has never ever ever won. His polling isn't good, exactly, it's just consistent.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Nate's model takes "momentum" into account, and the polls suggest that Paul has slipped a couple points over the last week, while Romney has gained a point or two.

I'm not sure if the model takes "second choices" into account, but that would also swing in Romney's favor -- Ron Paul is the second choice of very few Bachmann/Perry/Gingrich/etc. supporters.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Literally the first thing I hear when I turned on the TV this morning: "Santorum surging from the rear."

Oh, CNN, have you ever even used Google?

EDIT: Also, is it too much to hope for Romney to lose and give a Dean Scream?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    someone fill me in

wasn't gingrich winning this thing?

how is he below Paul

I guess money really talks, Romney wasn't doing so well last time I checked in on these shenanigans

• Options
    Sam wrote:
    someone fill me in

how is he below Paul

I guess money really talks, Romney wasn't doing so well last time I checked in on these shenanigans

When the primary started they all signed an agreement that anyone except Romney would only get 3-6 weeks in the spotlight, and Gingrich's were up.

Except for the 'signed an agreement' thing.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Iowa's today, right?

Alrighty, you crazy farmers, whatcha got in store for the country?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:

This is a very weird thing to think they're lying about. The key to understanding is that they tend to focus on the primary issues and ignore any secondary. The primary for them is that marriage, to them, is mainly about raising kids the way "it has always been done." The secondary issues, the host of legal effects and societal recognition of the relationship, never enter their head.

Well, that last bit enters the heads of the more nasty of the 20%-ers but they wouldn't phrase it that way.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    Sam wrote:
    someone fill me in

how is he below Paul

When the primary started they all signed an agreement that anyone except Romney would only get 3-6 weeks in the spotlight, and Gingrich's were up.

not that any of these candidates would ever win, but I thought Ging was better than Romney who seems like a Republican John Kerry.

I mean they're both from Taxacheussetts, both belong to politically undesirable religions, both flip flop and both have an obscene amount of money.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Iowa's today, right?

Santorum surging from behinds?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Sam wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Sam wrote:
    someone fill me in

how is he below Paul

not that any of these candidates would ever win, but I thought Ging was better than Romney who seems like a Republican John Kerry.

I mean they're both from Taxacheussetts, both belong to politically undesirable religions, both flip flop and both have an obscene amount of money.

Gingrich shutdown the government over being snubbed on a plane ride. This is not a human being you allow the ability to deploy the military. Hell the first time the Iranian government released a press release would cause him to nuke Tehran.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Iowa's today, right?

If I'd made the new thread, that would have basically been the title.

[Primary 2012] Santorum emerges from the rear of the pack, will he pull it out in the end?

Then I would have made you all look at it for two months.

SammyF on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Iowa's today, right?

But this time, there's corn in it.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    You are all going to your respective hells.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You are having way too much fun with Santorum + surging. I've seen it like a hundred times per day in this thread.

Like the combination of words was hilarious the first hundred times. But it is getting old, stale and smelly.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:
    You are having way too much fun with Santorum + surging. I've seen it like a hundred times per day in this thread.

Like the combination of words was hilarious the first hundred times. But it is getting old, stale and smelly.

Santorum should launch a national ad campaign talking about how he's just an average joe. He could call it "Everybody is Santorum."

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

"Will support for Santorum dry up and flake off before tonight, and if so, how much of a stain will it leave behind?"

• Options
    Santorum wants states to be able to ban contraception (unsurprisingly).

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

Santorum should launch a national ad campaign talking about how he's just an average joe. He could call it "Everybody is Santorum."

"There's a little Santorum in all of us"?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Santorum wants states to be able to ban contraception (unsurprisingly).

Fuck this guy. Contraception is one of the most important medical developments in the last seventy years.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    So the GOP theme seems to be states' rights trump human rights?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    captaink wrote:

Yep. States' Rights trump everything. They seem to forget that we tried having a very weak federal government once. It didn't work out.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    captaink wrote:

It's been the right wing line in this country since its founding, so it's not like it should be surprising.

In other news, I find myself agreeing with Newt motherfucking Gingrich today, which is how we know things have gone completely around the bend.

Newt has just called Romney a liar, to the shocked reaction of Norah O'Donnell and Bob Schieffer:
    “Which part of what I just said to you is false?” he asked the surprised hosts. “Why is it that if I’m candid in person and I wanted to be honest in person, that’s shocking? If [Romney’s] PAC buys millions of dollars in ads to say things that are false, that’s somehow the way Washington plays the game. Isn’t that exactly what’s sick about this country right now? Isn’t that what the American people are tired of?”

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Iowa Caucus process (for the GOP)
    • All caucus participants arrive at their precincts where they will sign in at the door upon arrival. Caucuses will begin at 7:00PM CT.

• The caucus meetings begin with the pledge of allegiance. A caucus chair and secretary will be elected by the body to run the meeting and take notes.

• After the chair and secretary are elected, candidate representatives from each campaign are given time to speak on behalf of their candidate.

• Once the speakers have finished, sheets of paper are be passed out to every registered Iowa Republican from the precinct. Voters then write down their candidate preference.

• All votes are then collected.

• Every vote is counted. The caucus chair and secretary will count the votes in front of the caucus and a representative from each campaign is allowed to observe the counting of the votes. The results are recorded on an official form provided by the Republican Party of Iowa and are announced to the caucus.

• A caucus reporter is chosen to report the results to the Republican Party of Iowa, accompanied by campaign representatives to verify the results reported to Iowa GOP officials.

• RPI officials do not count results; they aggregate them from around the state and report them to the media. To ensure consistency in reporting, campaign representatives have the opportunity to be present with RPI officials as votes are reported to the public.
    So it doesn't look like there's going to be the horse trading, second ballots etc.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    And just like the states righters in the 1850s who wanted a federal slave code enforceable in all states, even ones that fucking hated slavery, they don't have any problem with a strong federal government doing shit they like.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Should be noted that the caucus features same day registration and no photo ID requirement. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    A Pizza Ranch manager in Boone, Iowa, has renamed the restaurant’s chicken salad “Santorum Salad,” after Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum.
    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/3354?ref=fpblg

Click the link, look at the picture.

Do it.

Seriously.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Should be noted that the caucus features same day registration and no photo ID requirement. Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

IOKIYAR

This discussion has been closed.