Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[BSG] Game (Base) 25: Back to BASICs! CYLON Victory by Fuel loss!

artadiusartadius Registered User
edited March 2012 in Critical Failures
bsg-bg-logo.png
Base Set Game (Newbie Friendly)
After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing — survival.

Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.

Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?

In the basic version of the game, players take the roles of prominent figures in the remainder of humanity working toward the goal of reaching Kobol, the first step on the long road toward the legendary planet Earth. However, hidden among their ranks are Cylon infiltrators, who seek to end humanity for once and for all. This game will only be using this basic version of the game along with a few popular house rules. We'll also be giving priority to newer players to the BSG game in order to keep this one at an introductory level.

Rules and Utilities

Base Set Rules, from the publisher's website
FAQ and Errata, from the publisher’s website
Player Aid 1 (Base Set), on BoardGameGeek
Player Aid 2 (Base Set), on BoardGameGeek

Pegasus and Exodus Expansion OP by MrBlarney, original Base Set OP borrowed from Akinos/Darian. (With modifications.)
Now appropriated from Tmoiy for Exodus Game 9

Notes and Guidelines for the PbP Format:
Secrecy is an important part of this game! As such, the following rules must be followed at all times:
  • You may not tell other players the exact value/type of cards that are in your hand, that you plan to put into a Skill Check, or what you had put into a Skill Check after it is resolved. You may still use vague terms to describe the cards you hold/play: “this should help a lot” or “this should help a little” are reasonable; “this should help a medium amount” can be said for multiple cards.
  • Outside of a skill check, it is permissible to state whether you have a certain card in hand ("I have a Strategic Planning for a FTL roll",”I can Declare Emergency if needed”,”Would Scientific Research help here?”,etc); this rule should not be abused to communicate the detailed contents of your hand to other players.
  • If an ability or action allows you to look at the top or bottom card of any deck, you are not allowed to tell the other players what that card is or any specific information about it.
  • Specific information on a player's loyalty cards cannot be revealed beyond claiming/denying to be a Cylon. For "You Are A Cylon" cards, no specific discussion of reveal effects is allowed.
  • All communication between players must be made through this thread. Private conversations are not permitted.
  • All players, whether Human or Cylons, must adhere to these rules; Revealed Cylons may not show their hands to other players or reveal their Super Crisis card until they play it.

All game actions should be reported in the thread in bold for them to be recognized. Movement, skill card use, ability use, discards, etc. all count as game actions.

***MODIFIED SYSTEM FOR THIS PARTICULAR PBP GAME -- READ THIS OR ELSE!***
Skill checks in this game will usually follow a different format than tabletop rules. In this game, players may play their cards into the skill check in ANY ORDER they wish. You will NOT have to wait for your normal turn around the table to put in cards to a skill check. Usually, when a skill check happens, the players put in cards to the skill check in normal player order beginning with the player next in line from the current player's turn and ending with the current player. In order to facilitate speedier skill checks, this will NOT be the case.
HOWEVER! The following types of skill checks will STILL be handled in normal turn order to prevent the most egregious opportunities for spiking checks and stalemates between players:
  • When an Investigative Committee card is played before the skill check
  • Skill checks at the following locations: Admiral's Quarters, Administration, and The Brig.
  • Skill checks which would end the game for either faction
  • I reserve the right to begin enforcing turn order for any particular skill check if I feel that two or more players are taking advantage of this freedom in order to sabotage a particular skill check.

Discussing with your fellow players before committing cards to the skill check is still important! Just because you can play your cards into the skill check whenever you want does not absolve you from discussion prior to doing so and will likely result in you wasting precious cards!

There are a number of Skill Cards that can be played under certain conditions. Please refer to the Skill Cards section for the effects of each card. For the purposes of keeping things moving at a good pace, I recommend sending me a PM with guidelines or instructions in advance referred to as COs, or Conditional Orders. Examples include: “Declare Emergency if the check is within 2 of succeeding”,”Evasive Maneuvers on myself if my viper is damaged or destroyed”,”I'll Strategic Planning the FTL roll if it's activated this turn”. I will not make any decisions for you, so COs must be clear and precise. I will use the lowest strength copy of a card if you have multiples unless otherwise specified.

Skill Cards that come before events:
Before die rolls: Strategic Planning
Before skill checks: Investigative Committee, Scientific Research

Skill Cards that come after events:
After skill checks: Declare Emergency
After combat rolls: Evasive Maneuvers

Observers can post with commentary but should avoid strategic discussion.

The Board
Spoiler:

General Game Flow and Victory Conditions
Spoiler:

Human (and Unrevealed Cylon) Game Turn
Spoiler:

Revealing as a Cylon
Spoiler:

Revealed Cylon Game Turn
Spoiler:

artadius on
Moderating BSG Game 25

• artadiusartadius Registered User
    edited January 2012
    Locations
    Spoiler:

Skill Checks
    Spoiler:

Skill Cards
    Spoiler:

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    Activating Cylon Ships
    Spoiler:

Combat Table
    Spoiler:

Jumping
    Spoiler:

Moderating BSG Game 25
    edited January 2012
    Cast of Characters
    Spoiler:

Character Selection
    Spoiler:

Admiral, and President
    Spoiler:

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    edited January 2012
    Information specific to this PbP starts here

My notes on the PbP format. Please read!
    Spoiler:

House rules
    Spoiler:

Our players:
    1. Camacho as gaius-baltar.png [Political Leader] Gaius Baltar
    Spoiler:

2. 1digitalranger1 as william-adama.png [Military Leader] William Adama
    Spoiler:

3. Penumbra as lee-adama.png [Pilot] Lee "Apollo" Adama
    Spoiler:

4. Cayrus as laura-roslin.png [Political Leader] Laura Roslin
    Spoiler:

5. BobCesca as karl-agathon.png [Military Leader] Karl "Helo" Agathon
    Spoiler:

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    As mentioned in the original post... this is intended to be a Newbie Friendly game.

It will be a five player game and spots will be prioritized to folks who do not have a lot of experience with playing Battlestar Galactica and/or playing BSG via Play by Post. When I first started doing Play by Post, I was intimidated to jump into games with tons of experienced players using lots of expansion options... and really appreciated a similar opportunity to get in on a base game... so I'm extending this here at PA as well.

If you are NOT a BSG / BSGPbP newbie, feel free to sign up as well, just realize that you will not have priority over our more inexperienced Nuggets.

Submissions will be open until Friday night at 10 PM Central Time or until I receive a large number of acceptable sign-ups (say a dozen or more or so)... so if you're interested, please sign up early.

Moderating BSG Game 25
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    I'll run a Pegasus/Exodus game as well if we get enough sign-ups.

• CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    I'd like to sign up.

I've played the base game irl but never in a PbP. My friends just got the Pegasus Expansion but I've yet to play it with them.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular

I've played the base game & Peg irl and played a couple of PbP here, so I may be low on the list.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Well, NOW it's beachfront property Weyland Consortium HQRegistered User regular

I've run a game and played in a few.

• KetBraKetBra hiRegistered User regular
    Sign me up!

Played both base and exodus + pegasus

zuydt75.jpg?2
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Oh, hell, it's been a while. Sign up!

I'm NOT a newbie, but if you're short of players I'd be happy to get in.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular

I've played both and would probably prefer the Pegasus/Exodus game!

Only other game I am in right now is twilight imperium game 4

He's a superhumanly strong soccer-playing romance novelist possessed of the uncanny powers of an insect. She's a beautiful African-American doctor with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!
  • 1digitalranger11digitalranger1 Registered User
    edited January 2012
    sign me up Ive play basic and Pegasus many times before before but never pbp

<---- noob

1digitalranger1 on
    playing Adama on BSG game 25
  • CamachoCamacho Registered User

Long time reader, first time sign up'er

Gaius Baltar in artadius's BSG Game 25
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    !sign up

I am a complete newbie to the game (both PBP and RL) and would love an opportunity to actually have a go at this.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I'll !sign up. I've played the base game a few times in real life, but never on the forums.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 5386-8399-1472
  • McCoyMcCoy Registered User

Been following the two BSG games that just finished. I have never played by post before.

• DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular

Looks like 13 players so far, there is always an interest in BSG games.

edited January 2012
    Yep, good turnout so far. Looks like a handful of folks that have not as much BSG / PbP experience too so I think I won't have to leave sign ups open for too much longer and then Felix will have a good group to start off with for his signups as well. Those of you who have not played any BSG before or not much... please don't just rely on my OPs to be familiar with the game. Download the PDF rules and FAQ and read through them. As this might be a learning game for some of you, I'll be happy to provide you with any feedback if you like or neutral tips from the moderator... but since this is a Cooperative game where you will have either one or two other people by the end of the game on your team with you, you'll want to be familiar with how the game works at least in order to make informed decisions. In my experience, brand new BSG players take a full round or two before they finally grasp alot of the fine points of this masterpiece.

Unrelated question: Is there a policy regarding posting of in game elements in the topic? I have scans of most of the cards from the game (used in the BSG VASSAL module). Fantasy Flight has a requirement for the folks who create VASSAL games that at least one part of the components are rendered blank in order to ensure that all players on VASSAL own a copy of the game. The VASSAL module has blank Loyalty Cards. That means we've got images for all the crisis cards which I feel are a great addition to PbP games. I know I'd like to post the crisis cards in the topic here... but I don't want to break any rules in doing so. Thoughts?

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    The last two games's (exodus 7, exodus 9) handled crisis cards well I'm sure if you follow ether format there should be no problem

The last two games's (exodus 7, exodus 9) handled crisis cards well I'm sure if you follow ether format there should be no problem

Definitely. I'll be using the same Gimp/OpenOffice combo that they used so at least in that regards, they'll be just as good.

Moderating BSG Game 25
    The more games that are run, the better they are handled.

When I played over on BGG they didn't even post the crisis text, just the name of the card and required that you owned the game to play so you could reference things, was at FFG request. That makes me kind of wary to touch any restrictions here in case FFG has just overlooked PA and decides to stick the same restriction on us. Don't get me wrong, I think posting card scans would be really cool, but I don't want to inadvertently ruin a good thing.

Yeah, I don't think I'll post the scans. They really don't do the actual components justice anyways... and that's a major reason why these companies don't want card images to be shown for boardgames because it lessens the quality of the components and might turn off potential customers. Understandable.

Moderating BSG Game 25
    edited January 2012
    We've got a good enough pool that I'll draw for players this evening with lesser experienced BSG/PbP players getting priority (which we have a few already). So if you're on the fence, time runs short!

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    artadius wrote:
    We've got a good enough pool that I'll draw for players this evening with lesser experienced BSG/PbP players getting priority (which we have a few already). So if you're on the fence, time runs short!

Good luck and have fun in the game.

I'll put up a thread for the Pegasus/exodus game sometime today or tomorrow and grab anyone from here that didn't make it in and would like to play an expansion game. Two slots are filled by people who signed up for my last one but didn't make it in, and anyone that didn't just finish a game will take priority over the group from Exodus game 9 to give everyone a chance to play.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh, I definitely want to play in the Pegasus/Exodus game - I just didn't bother signing up here because I was waiting for that one.

blahmcblah on
    Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
    Peg+Ex game thread is up. Signups will stay open until Thursday at midnight, and everyone from here that doesn't get chosen is welcome.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Peg+Ex game thread is up. Signups will stay open until Thursday at midnight, and everyone from here that doesn't get chosen is welcome.

I'm in this new game so I'll withdraw from here. Good luck getting to Kobol!

He's a superhumanly strong soccer-playing romance novelist possessed of the uncanny powers of an insect. She's a beautiful African-American doctor with her own daytime radio talk show. They fight crime!
    edited January 2012
    Alright, rolling off on folks I'm giving priority to. This will also determine player order just to move things along.

For those of you who were not chosen (and signed up) and are subsequently not chosen for Felix's game, you'll have priority for my next game.

Cayrus: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 11
    1digitalranger1: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 74
    Camacho: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 92
    BobCesca: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 10
    Penumbra: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 7
    McCoy: Player Slot Roll-off: 1d100 46

Our players are in player turn order:
    1. Camacho
    2. 1digitalranger1
    3. McCoy dropped, replaced with Penumbra
    4. Cayrus
    5. BobCesca

Sorry Penumbra. If you're interested in playing for my next game, you'll have a priority spot for it (unless you join Felix's game).

Camacho: You'll need to pick a character first. Since you are picking first, you have no restrictions on who you choose. As a reminder, this is a base set only game so your character choices are limited to the characters in the base BSG game. A list of these characters appear above in the rules section.

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
  • CamachoCamacho Registered User
    Thx for running this game

I'm gonna choose everybodys favorite non-cylon half-mad scientist, Gaius Baltar

I am truly sorry that someone gave the cylons access to the defense mainframe, and as president - unless that religious broad Roslin somehow shows up - I will do anything in my power to hunt down the person responsible!

Gaius Baltar in artadius's BSG Game 25
    tnx's in advance for all the paranoia that is about to descend on us

with the next pick I will select William "old man" Adama

I will stand at the helm of our proud ship and lead us to a safe new haven I also teach calculus lessons on the side if anyone is interested.

Camacho chooses a Political Leader, Baltar.
    1digitalranger1 chooses a Military Leader, Adama

McCoy has informed me that he actually got selected for a different PbP game elsewhere and is offering his spot up to Penumbra if he wants it so I've contacted him by PM to see if he's still interested. If not, I'll roll off between the remaining folks interested who signed up originally.

Regardless, whomever is next, they will need to either pick a Pilot or Chief Tyrol due to character selection rules.

Moderating BSG Game 25
    Lee "Apollo" Adama please.

So say we all.

steam_sig.png
    Camacho chooses a Political Leader, Baltar.
    Penumbra chooses a Pilot, Apollo

Cayrus, you're up for character selection and can choose any of the characters except, obviously, for those already chosen.

BobCesca, if you're around before Cayrus makes his choice, you can send me a prioritized list of characters, if you like, to choose and I'll assign you the highest one on your list eligible based upon what Cayrus chooses. No problem if you'd prefer to wait though.

Moderating BSG Game 25
  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Laura Roslin please.

Who shall I airlock* first?

*No actual airlocking may occur.

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    I recommend changing the thread title. :)

Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
    edited January 2012
    Camacho chooses a Political Leader, Baltar
    Penumbra chooses a Pilot, Apollo
    Cayrus chooses a Political Leader, Roslin
    BobCesca chooses a Military Leader, Helo.

We are ready to start!
    Game Setup

*The Admiral's Title Card is given to 1digitalranger1
    *Two Nuke tokens have been given to 1digitalranger1
    *The President's Title Card is given to Cayrus
    *One Quorum card is given to Cayrus
    *One Loyalty card is given to each player except Baltar (Camacho) who receives two
    *Baltar (Camacho) receives his starting compliment of cards: 2 Politics, 1 Leadership, and 1 Engineering
    *Adama (1digitalranger1) draws his starting hand (3) of 2 Leadership and 1 Tactics

Remaining Steps:
    *I need starting hands from Penumbra, Cayrus, and BobCesca. Remember, you can only draw three cards to start with from your typical five to choose from.
    *Make sure you check your PM conversation for your current Loyalty. Noting here in the topic that you've confirmed your Loyalty would be great.
    *Penumbra, you have a choice of starting the game in Sector 5 or Sector 6. Please choose. I'll show a starting board below.

Reminder
    Please make sure you are fully aware of the Secrecy rules for this game.

artadius on
    Moderating BSG Game 25
    I have checked my loyality and sent in my starting draw.

steam_sig.png