As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's about that time again. Top Games of 2012.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My picks:
    - Risen 2: Dark Waters
    - Delta Force: Angel Falls (if Novalogic makes it)
    - Bioshock: Infinite
    - Guild Wars 2
    - Torchlight 2
    - Starhawk ( cool ideas for multiplayer and new games )

Other stuff to look out: Jagged Alliance / Shadowrun Online, Overstrike, MechWarrior Online and XCOM.

There seems to be another CoD on the way and maybe one of Obsidian's project.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I can't help but wonder if Tokyo EAD is working on a Mario title for the Wii U's launch. Considering Mario Galaxy 2 dropped in mid-2010 that gives them just over two years to finish up development on it.

Hmm.

They did Super Mario 3D Land, so it's not like they haven't been doing anything for the last 2 years. But we'll see...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    2011 has been a great year for gaming and it already looks like 2012 might end up being just as good.

My personal top list looks something like:
    -Dota 2
    -Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    -Borderlands 2
    -Darksiders 2
    -Diablo 3
    -Starcraft 2 expansion
    -Street Fighter x Tekken, even though the PC version will inevitably be delayed several months
    -Resident Evil: Revelations

Hopefully there'll also be some games that aren't sequels showing up and being great.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Guys Prey 2 looks so good.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    My games of 2012 (so far)

Resident Evil Revelations
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
    Paper Mario 3D
    Kid Icarus Uprising
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3D
    Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney
    Dragon Quest X
    Silent Hill Downpour
    Tomb Raider

Yeah, so mostly 3DS games. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    eobet wrote:
    Last Guardian of course... Team ICO is basically the Pixar of video games.

Ni no Kuni... if it gets a western release. Come on, a Ghibli RPG? Can it get better?

Not completely true, I mean, Pixar at least releases stuff in a timely manner. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Max Payne 3
    Mass Effect 3
    Prey 2
    Bioshock Infinite
    and GTA V if that comes out this year

• Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    2011 has been a great year for gaming and it already looks like 2012 might end up being just as good.

My personal top list looks something like:
    -Dota 2
    -Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    -Borderlands 2
    -Darksiders 2
    -Diablo 3
    -Starcraft 2 expansion
    -Street Fighter x Tekken, even though the PC version will inevitably be delayed several months
    -Resident Evil: Revelations

Hopefully there'll also be some games that aren't sequels showing up and being great.

My list is pretty much the same with Guild Wars 2 in the middle.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Shady3011 wrote:
    As for stuff to look forward to, I'll give a mention to Lollipop Chainsaw since it looks sweet.

This. This. I can't pin down all the games I'm looking forward to in 2012 yet (because I already have too many games from like 2010 and 2011 that I'm concerned with) but I am excited as hell for this game.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's all about Paper Mario for me, I guess there is Xenoblade as well.

Kinda want to know what Nintendo is doing for the Wii U. Their console output has been lacking for the past year and looks no better for the coming year.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Lollipop Chainsaw sounds awesome, but the lack of quality present in Shadows of the Damned makes me wary.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    eobet wrote:
    Last Guardian of course... Team ICO is basically the Pixar of video games.

Ni no Kuni... if it gets a western release. Come on, a Ghibli RPG? Can it get better?

Not completely true, I mean, Pixar at least releases stuff in a timely manner. :P

Nintendo is maintaining a pretty firm foothold as the Pixar of gaming, imho. It's not a perfect analogy; Pixar doesn't do a ton of sequels or release what is essentially the same movie over and over again. But the releases from both are generally extremely solid.

Here's my two picks. I don't know if it'll launch this year or not, but Sonic Dimensions. Colors and Generations were really good. Sonic 4: Episode 2 seems more iffy, but we'll see.

Also, Just Cause 3. It'll probably be like the previous games, but more so. Not necessarily a bad thing. If they add co-op multiplayer, it'll be a pretty solid candidate for GOTY.

• Options
    Frem wrote:
    Nintendo is maintaining a pretty firm foothold as the Pixar of gaming, imho. It's not a perfect analogy; Pixar doesn't do a ton of sequels or release what is essentially the same movie over and over again. But the releases from both are generally extremely solid.

I'd say that Nintendo's more the Disney of gaming.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote:
    new Kings Bounty game.

oh shit new king's bounty?

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 is what I am most excited for, but there are some others on that list that are pretty tempting.

Last Guardian and Last of Us before have the potential to be really cool. It will be nice to have games that are not sequels for once.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't really know a whole lot of what to look for this year. Suda's not up to anything interesting these days and Nintendo is doing that thing where we're in the dark until the new system is fully unveiled (I'm all but certain the thing is getting a redesign in terms of looks as we speak). I already have Rayman Origins.

Dragon's Crown?

fucking Dragon's Crown.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    I can't help but wonder if Tokyo EAD is working on a Mario title for the Wii U's launch. Considering Mario Galaxy 2 dropped in mid-2010 that gives them just over two years to finish up development on it.

Hmm.

They did Super Mario 3D Land, so it's not like they haven't been doing anything for the last 2 years. But we'll see...

There's two Tokyo EAD teams now actually.

One team did Flipnote, NPC: DKJB, SMG2, and SM3D Land, and the other team did the original DKJB, Super Mario Galaxy, and something called "Jibun de Tsukuru Nintendo DS Guide".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_Analysis_and_Development

Though I guess we'd likely see New Super Mario Bros. Wii

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    Frem wrote:

Sounds about right. Generally consistent output with a few missteps, and in general those missteps are better than most of the industry its in.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    skeldare wrote:
    Frem wrote:

Sounds about right. Generally consistent output with a few missteps, and in general those missteps are better than most of the industry its in.

And always thought of as teh kiddie
    skeldare wrote:

Hmm.

There's two Tokyo EAD teams now actually.

One team did Flipnote, NPC: DKJB, SMG2, and SM3D Land, and the other team did the original DKJB, Super Mario Galaxy, and something called "Jibun de Tsukuru Nintendo DS Guide".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_Analysis_and_Development

Though I guess we'd likely see New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    Top games I'm looking forward to is:
    Metro: The Last Light - Metro 2033 was criminally underrated.
    Soul Calibur 5 - SC is my favorite fighting series
    Borderlands 2 - Hopefully better than the first
    Prototype 2 - Love the first, but I hope they tone the difficulty just a tad.
    Halo 4 - Halo!
    Gravity Rush/Daze - If I somehow get a Vita, this is the game I'd get for it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like the level of nostalgia that Super Mario 3D Land has. Towards the end of one of the levels, it even reverts back to the NES graphics of the first game. The game has a surreal atmosphere to it sometimes.

It happens at 5:38.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLAbUAUBIU

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Bioshock infinite, borderlands 2, soul calibur 5 and max payne 3.

Only ones that immediately come to mind.

Also because I only get to play it now, the witcher 2 is AMAZING. Fucking hard though, sometimes.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    There aren't really that many games coming out in 2012 that I can't wait for. Which works out for me, because I'm trying to use most of 2012 to finish up my backlog.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote:
    I like the level of nostalgia that Super Mario 3D Land has. Towards the end of one of the levels, it even reverts back to the NES graphics of the first game. The game has a surreal atmosphere to it sometimes.

YES

SM3DL5.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. If Witcher 2 does actually ever get a console release I'm looking forward to that too.

• Options
    kenhcwookenhcwoo Registered User regular
    For me, it's Diablo 3 hands down. It's probably not going to win too many awards, but I feel that it's just going to be as addicting as the 2nd.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wait wait wait, they're making a 2012? I just got the stuff I wanted from 2011! Well let me take a look...

Things I know I'm buying and will actually get somewhere near when they come out:
    Diablo 3
    Torchlight 2
    Xenoblade
    Borderlands 2
    Mass Effect 3

Things I know I'm buying eventually:
    The Last Guardian
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 (don't look at me like that)
    MGS Revengeance
    Max Payne 3
    Bioshock Infinite
    Torchlight 2
    Various Nintendo stuff

Things I might buy:
    Prey 2
    Halo 4
    Tomb Raider

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    This year might actually top 2011 if HL3 is released. Diablo 3 + HL3 + Max Payne 3 + Mass Effect 3 = triple dominance

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Oh yeah. If Witcher 2 does actually ever get a console release I'm looking forward to that too.

It is. 360.

PC version is gorgeous though.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This year might actually top 2011 if HL3 is released.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHA

Hah.

Hah......

:(

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I don't have a PC good enough to play it nor do I really want one. So, that's why I'm waiting for a console release.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with IGN's list at all. Not a single bingle one. The only ones that have a chance to be good, as far as I'm conserned, are Bioshock Infinite, Diablo II and Borderlands 2 but I would be very very surprised if I would call any of those game of the year.

This seems incredibly cynical to me, especially considering the number of "big name" titles on the list...but I do see a lot of games I know I won't enjoy, even if lots of others are.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well. Like I said...the list was just to give a general idea. Like I'm not even interested in 80% of the list and half the games I'm looking at aren't even on there. But those are the "big" titles so I can't say its a bad place to start the topic.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Heisenberg wrote:
    This year might actually top 2011 if HL3 is released. Diablo 3 + HL3 + Max Payne 3 + Mass Effect 3 = triple dominance

Yeah that would be amazing. But HL3? You're funny. :P

Also wouldn't it be quadruple dominance?

anoffday on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm hyped for a lot of games, but BioShock Infinite is the only one I know will not disapointe me. Besides that, I'm definitley picking up ME3 to finish the trilogy. I'll be curious to see how Prey 2 turns out, but I'm bracing myself for the trainwreck of shit that will be the Darkness II and Max Payne 3.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    THESPOOKY wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Unsurprisingly, I don't agree with IGN's list at all. Not a single bingle one. The only ones that have a chance to be good, as far as I'm conserned, are Bioshock Infinite, Diablo II and Borderlands 2 but I would be very very surprised if I would call any of those game of the year.

This seems incredibly cynical to me, especially considering the number of "big name" titles on the list...but I do see a lot of games I know I won't enjoy, even if lots of others are.

Not to mention that diablo 2 is already proven to be pretty good.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    The only game I am really excited for so far is Dust 514... Otherwise many of the new game announcements have done little to grab my interest. Especially Mass Effect 3, I found two to be a bit too formulaic, as I am starting to find many of Bioware's recent games.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm hyped for a lot of games, but BioShock Infinite is the only one I know will not disapointe me. Besides that, I'm definitley picking up ME3 to finish the trilogy. I'll be curious to see how Prey 2 turns out, but I'm bracing myself for the trainwreck of shit that will be the Darkness II and Max Payne 3.

OH man, forgotten how awesome prey 2 looks.

Max payne 3 looks like it'll turn out great honestly.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    My must buy list:
    Assassin's Creed 3
    Final Fantasy X HD
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Journey
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    The Last Guardian
    The Last of Us
    Mass Effect 3
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    Papo & Yo
    Tales of Graces F
    Yakuza: Dead Souls
    Zone of the Enders HD Collection

My "maybe buy when they're cheap" list:
    Darksiders 2
    Devil May Cry HD Collection
    Dragon's Dogma
    Jak & Daxter HD Collection
    Metro: Last Light
    Sly 4: Thieves in Time
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Tomb Raider

And lastly, my "if I buy a Vita" list (I probably will but we'll see what happens):
    Gravity Rush
    Little Kings Story
    Lumines
    Persona 4 Golden
    Uncharted: Golden Abyss

So... A lot of games this year. Seems like there's a pretty big resurgence in JRPGs finally and a couple of quality western RPGs to go with them.

My most anticipated game would have to be Journey. I got into the beta like 6 months ago and it was one of the highlights of the year. It's so beautiful and the gameplay works like a charm. Ugh, I want to play it now.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Antihippy wrote:

OH man, forgotten how awesome prey 2 looks.

Max payne 3 looks like it'll turn out great honestly.

I hope so. Max Payne 1 and 2 are 2 of my favorite games ever, but honestly I don't like the whole tropical vibe in MP3. I kind of wish it was still New York.

• Options
    Oh crap...I forgot all about Dragon's Dogma.

Yeah. That too. Though I'm a little worried most of the stuff I've been seeing seems like it will be focusing more on the MP than the SP. I don't mind MP but I want it to have a good SP experience too.