As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mattress Topper: Foam or down and your recommendations.

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'd like to get a topper of some sort for my bed. The mattress is fine, but I'd like to make it ultra comfy. Anyone want to run the pros and cons of these two types and maybe toss out some recommendations? My back isn't bad or anything, though I am getting up there in years.

Gonna go see Moneyball and have some drinks. I'll be back in a few hours to see what your thoughts are.

Esh on

• etdragonetdragon Registered User regular
    I can't do down personally. I'm not allergic to it per say but I really don't like the smell it has. That said our mattress actually has a foam topper built onto it and it is the most comfortable thing in the world. You kind of sink into it but not so much that it feels uncomfortable or claustrophobic. The absolute only downside to the foam, for me, is that it tends to make you feel a little warmer than you would be without it. If you keep your house reasonably cool in the summer it really isn't a big deal and it helps make you feel extra cozy in the winter.

sig.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Personally, I hate the squishy feeling of down, but love the firm push of foam. My mother claims that sinking into the foam makes her overheat, because it makes a bit of a cocoon, I don't really have that experience but I am usually cold.

A few inches of foam transformed my shitty dorm bed to be more satisfying than my much more expensive and nice pillow top at home, which to me is a testament to it. Still, if you like the feeling of soft, its probably not going to feel as nice as down.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    I tried a feather topper once and the feathers kept poking through the fabric and stabbing me.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, after the continuous prickly, feather-filled experience with the (supposedly good-quality) down pillows we got to supplement our "real" pillows when we first moved here, I'm gonna have to say, no, I wouldn't trust a down topper to not be annoying. Particularly, one of the things that annoys me most about those pillows is that they're tough to keep in a shape that actually provides good support. Heck, even when they're properly fluffed they squish right down, and I'd imagine that problem would be more annoying with a whole mattress topper because you'd have more of your body weight on it. I've also had very good experiences with foam toppers. Foam toppers are really good, and naturally memory foam toppers are pretty great but also pretty pricey last I knew (but prices have been going down on the stuff overall). You'd be amazed what a simple layer of that foam stuff can do for your comfort factor. Unfortunately I don't remember the thickness we were using with our last topper, but I don't think it was the thinnest available (1"?). Other people can probably advise you on thickness better than I can.

Essee on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    If your mattress is good, you probably just need 1/2 and inch to an inch. I recommend ones with memory foam as I've had great experiences with them.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    if you are a costco member they sell a 3 in memory foam topper all the time. we bought a queen size one for like $100 and change or something like that.

its nice. though it can be hot if you are a warm sleeper

camo_sig.png
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    I bought my current mattress that has a memory foam topper built in. It is incredible. Down will be pretty inconsistent as far as poking into you while you sleep. Get a foam topper and the quality of your mattress / taste in firmness of bed will let you determine how thick you want it to be.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Also, to add on to the mattress topper, I'd recommend maybe looking into a wool mattress top/protector. It wicks away moisture and heat, which I've found pretty useful in California! Might solve the overheating issue with foam. They're also easy to wash/dry, and it'll provide just a little extra comfort.

• rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    My last bed was a full and I added a 3" memory foam topper from Sam's Club to it and get compliments on guests that stayover as it now resides in one of my guest rooms. I liked it so much that when I shopped for a new bed I went with a straight memory foam mattress and love it too. I kind of like the topper because it's less firm than my foam mattress.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll probably go with a foam topper. I was a little worried about the heat, but I live in Portland, Oregon, so it's not like it ever gets very hot here. If anyone has any recommendations for specifics on Amazon or at CostCo, let me know.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've used both kinds, and it depends on preference. The foam is going to be firmer than the down, I don't like the poke of real down, but the synthetic down is pretty good, still it depends on firmness preference really. Currently I use a mem foam mattress topper and I have a sealed mattress protector underneath it.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm the only one who really,likes the down. Can be a fucking pain to clean if you ever I'll anything on it, though.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:
    Apparently I'm the only one who really,likes the down. Can be a fucking pain to clean if you ever I'll anything on it, though.

I imagine I could just walk it across the street to the dry cleaner.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote:

You're not, I have the same issue that Iruka's mom has with foam -- it gets unbearably hot in the summer. But I live in a warmer climate than the OP and many others.

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    I have a memory foam in Canada, and a cheap duck feather in the UK so I can comment a bit. The memory foam for some reason expanded and is now slightly too large for my bed, so that gets annoying because I have to kind of readjust it and move it around to keep it square and it still pokes over a bit. It is also a lot firmer.

The feather one does have the problem with feathers poking through, but if you have a mattress protector on top of it it seems to stop it. Personally I have an easier time sleeping on the feather, but that is probably a preference thing.

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    the one time i slept on foam for any length of time it was unbearably hot and I refuse to ever do so again. it just doesn't let go of the heat

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Probably crappy foam. The good stuff does a good job at dissipating it.

I say foam, but make sure to get the thickest stuff you get. Do research on the density and size, as you want things similar in density to a tempurpedic, otherwise it's basically useless.

This discussion has been closed.