As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Openoffice's track changes function compatible with Word?

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi

I'm editing a document for a trial for a job involving proofreading. I use OpenOffice on this PC, though I think I have an old copy of MS Office on a desktop that I don't really use except for media (and doesn't actually have a desk next to it).

The client wants me to track changes in the document I edit. Can I do this in Openoffice and expect them to be viewable in MS Word?

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Download Microsoft Office 2010 Trial.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/try-office-2010-FX101868838.aspx

This is a job application correct? You need to get this right. I am not positive about track changes.

Quick search says no if the person is using a mac version of word, yes if windows. At minimum you can use your trial copy of word to make sure your document is correct before submitting it.

Draygo on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    I've never really used the track changes function with either, but in general you get lots of annoying losses of formatting whenever you go back and forth between MS Word and OpenOffice.

midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I've used OOo's track changes and sent it to someone with Windows 2003 and they could read them just fine and the changes they made and sent to me were just as easy to read for me. Generally it's only the lay-out that gets lost (specifically the exact locations of images and tables), but this stuff actually translates over very well.