Once upon a time ago in ye olde 2008, in the far away land of Seattle, VThornHeart started an adventure. It turned out to be a success and, though it has evolved and changed hands over the years, it has continued to happen at each successive PAX. And so we have The Magical Mystery Tour!
You can get twitter updates by following @PAX_MMT
(prices listed where applicable, closest T stop listed for each location)
Wednesday, April 4:
08:30a meetup @ Boston Common (corner of Tremont St & Park St) (Park Street
09:30a travel time
10:00a Harvard Museum of Natural History
$9 (Harvard Square
11:00a Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
) (we'll be walking)
12:00p travel time
12:30p lunch - Sunset Grill and Tap
02:00p travel time
02:30p New England Aquarium
03:30p travel time
04:00p Harpoon Brewery
(World Trade Center
05:00p dinner break
06:30p Skywalk Observatory
$13 (Hynes Convention Center
07:45p travel time
08:30p BU Astronomy night
(weather permitting) (BU Central
Thursday, April 5:
08:30a meetup @ Boston Common (corner of Tremont St and Park St) (Park Street
09:00a travel time
10:00a Sam Adams Brewery
11:00a travel time
12:00p Freedom Trail
$12 (Park Street
01:30p lunch - Fried Food Extravanganza
, we'll be walking since the Freedom Trail ends here)
02:30p Mike's Pastry
, we'll be walking)
03:30p travel time
04:00p Museum of Science
$21 (Science Park
We'll be using the T (subway) to get around. You can by a pass for $15 that will get you unlimited rides for a week. When we leave the morning meetups, I'll be making sure everyone has a pass.
What To Bring?
A list of suggestions:
- This is a necessity this year! Be prepared to pay cash for lunch on Wednesday (to help splitting up bills and to make our waiter's life easier) and the Freedom Trail on Thursday. Also bring small bills for tips and donations.
- You want shoes that are preferably comfortable and have good tread. We will be walking up and down stairs to the subway, between the T stations and our destinations, and around various sites (museums, Harvard campus, etc).
Outerwear and Layers
- It's springtime, so don't be surprised if we see rain/sleet/other water-based things falling from the sky. You can also expect cool or cold mornings, though it could warm up during the days. Layers are your friend.
- You know, in case you get lost. Or hurt. Or you miss your best friend and need to hear his voice.
Charlie Card/Weekly Pass
- We'll be riding the subway A LOT. It will save you some money if have either a standard Charlie Card ($1.70 per ride instead of $2) or a weekly pass ($15, unlimited rides for a week). Both are available at subway stations. (More info here: http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/
) At the morning meetings, I'll be helping everyone acquire one if they haven't already.
My Phone #
- Did you get my PM? Write down my number, put it in your phone, or somehow make sure you have it.
Water and Snacks
- Our time is tightly budgeted. While lunch is worked into the schedule everyday, there won't be time to stop at convenience stores/coffee shops/what-have-you. If you think you may want a snack or drink, bring it with you.
- Bags are handy for carrying stuff. Whether you need a place to stash your snacks, store your extra layers when you get warm, cart around your favorite game, or carry souvenirs and toys you buy, a bag is a good idea.
- Did you make trading cards for PAX? This is a good time to get in some early trading of said cards. If you didn't make trading cards, you can still bring business cards or some other sort of info cards to give out to those cool new people you just met.
- It could be handy to have a copy with you. The MMT trading cards have an abbreviated version of the schedule on the back, so if you show up to the morning meeting (either day), you'll have that one.
Boston City Pass
- Buying this could save you a little money if you are with us both days. You can order one online (http://www.citypass.com/boston
) or at our first stop included in the pass
Pens and Other Small Items
- General things that can come in handy: pens, paper clips, bobby pins, floss, duct tape. Stuff can go wrong. And you can play MacGuyver and fix it.
A Good Attitude
- We're spending a day or 2 together. Play nice: Don't complain about things I can't fix (the walk/weather/late train). Don't start fights. Don't feed the animals. Don't be a dick.
This space intentionally left empty.