As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Despite using real weapons, my sparring has gone injury free.

Until just now, when a swordsman grabbed my commander by the arm and threw him into a wall where he appears to have broken his hand. I just recently appointed some medical dwarves (though we aren't well stocked), and he promptly got cleaned up, fed, and then the surgeon visited to...sew some cloth onto his hand.

He then went back to the barracks for another sparring session and, war hammer strapped uselessly to his back, is repeatedly punching someone in the stomach with his left hand.

/shrug

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Oh Dwarf Fortress, you really do have some of the best bugs:
    Toady One wrote:
    Major bug fixes

Fixed a crash with pathing for jumps
    Fixed a crash related to invading squads attempting to train
    Fixed an overpopulation bug for civilized critters and a related one for site animals
    Fixed problem with retired fort uniform settings crashing later visits to the fort
    Stopped a crash associated to misplaced books/slabs (root cause remains, added some logs)
    Fixed position appointment issue that caused some instability
    Tried to make idle code somewhat better about climbing while still getting dwarves out from being stuck
    People with a weapon should use it with the proper frequency now

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Fixed problem with animal training/taming vs. lingering combat data (caused job cancel spam and inability to complete jobs)
    Stopped nearby objects from being teleported by construction removal and a related problem with the item loop (ag/Quietust)
    Made site finder properly indicate flux layers (Quietust)
    Made game better respect existing directory structure in data/save when creating new directories
    Made tops of walls appear properly when trees above walls are removed
    Made strangulation take less time
    Enhanced sapling survivability
    Fixed a problem that caused vermin to occasionally be generated out of the loaded area
    Fixed a problem that corrupted the information about items on the ground with temperature changes
    Fixed some brokenness with climbing AI vs. ledge tops
    Fixed a broken instance of chasing opponent AI vs unwalkable spaces
    Made climbing have a higher path cost
    Made people less likely to climb after a failure
    Babies don't start strapped with a knife

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going nuts trying to get started in this, specifically the visualizer. The article and other sources keep mentioning a console of some kind, but NOTHING I do brings it up, ever. What gives?

Are you using the Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack they linked? If you click Starter Pack Launcher, and without messing with any other settings, click Play Dwarf Fortress, a console window should come up along with the game. I don't know if that's the console you need, I haven't used the overlay yet.

Are you just starting out with Dwarf Fortress? I think I would recommend against starting out with the iso view. I feel like...I don't know, it just seems like you wouldn't be learning the game the way it was designed, and some stuff might be slightly harder to understand. The basic tile grid graphics included with the Starter Pack are fine and a pretty good starting point.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    "Made strangulation take less time" is also deliciously dorfy.

Does anyone else have a problem with the "advancing time" screen taking ages when you start a new fortress/adventurer. I started up a new adventurer and the screen hung for a good hour or so before eventually getting through.

On a related note, I have no goddamn idea what's going on in adventure mode.

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm going nuts trying to get started in this, specifically the visualizer. The article and other sources keep mentioning a console of some kind, but NOTHING I do brings it up, ever. What gives?

The console window is always there, it's from DF Hack. It will be a seperate window from the main DF window.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

The console window is always there, it's from DF Hack. It will be a seperate window from the main DF window.

It should also be noted that you need to be running the 34.11 pack, not 40.xx

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    It's very complicated, planning to build a facade.

Like, dig out a rounded tower shape from the side of the mountain, but take one extra chunk because I plan on constructing a wall there so it's a uniform color...

Shoot, I just realized I should construct walls and floors as well, just so it's all the same material.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I just started world gen on a new game. Going 1050 years, probably should have changed that. Hopefully it's done by the time lunch is over!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I just started world gen on a new game. Going 1050 years, probably should have changed that. Hopefully it's done by the time lunch is over!

and doesn't crash. I crashed around year 800 of a medium region, after genning for about an hour.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options

and doesn't crash. I crashed around year 800 of a medium region, after genning for about an hour.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen with a fair few gens. I'd recommend a much lower finishing year.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Which version were you using? I'm using my old 34.11 setup, so I hope it works.

Edit: I guess I had it set for only 395 years, because that is where it stopped.

Bonepart on
  • Options

Which version were you using? I'm using my old 34.11 setup, so I hope it works.

oh yeah you'll be fine then, I was referring to the latest and greatest 40.03

• Options
    Damnit. I hate when 4 of my 5 volcanoes are out in the ocean, on the edges of the map.

• Options
    By which time is the world pretty well settled, and you're going to have good access to a lot of well-established civilizations?

Year 300 or so?

• Options

Two problems. I just realized I have Therapist on a flash drive that isn't here, and my Dwarves embarked on the lip of the volcano. I suppose putting it in the center of a 3x3 embark square wasn't the best of ideas.

• Options
    i'm usually lucky to get worlds that generate up to 380~
    but thats because I tweak all of the custom settings which probably makes things harder to keep it going

• Options
    edited July 2014
    All I've really done lately is increase volcanism variance, increased the higher end of the volcano matrix a tiny amount, increased the max number of volcanoes, and tried to bump up river creation a bit with things like setting minimum desert times to 0.

I just want more volcanoes next to rivers so I've got everything I need!

Usually only have about 20 rejected worlds.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Yeah, with variance cranked up, max volcanoes can be pushed pretty high without breaking. And then I usually up the mineral quantity a small amount.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Alas, the prosperous fortress of Bodicemurders has succumbed to a tantrum spiral (caused by a cave-adapted military running outside to meet a were-elk attack, and then exacerbated by me accidentally convicting a Giant Olm for disorderly conduct). Don't convict animals; apparently it'll enrage everyone in the fortress.

In other news, saplings grow into trees pretty quickly now -- and they cause cave-ins when they do so. I just had the ceiling crash through four floors thanks to a tree growing on top of my fortress. But there's more! If you embark on a volcano, these cave-ins also release clouds of boiling magma.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Was there actually a thought like "enraged because an animal was convicted?"

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Yeah. IIRC the wording was "outraged by the ridiculous conviction of an animal", or along those lines.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    I just bought so much food that I think 7/8ths of it would spoil before it's picked up.

I'm going to try breaking the depot, putting a food stockpile there, and ordering a move from one to the other...hopefully it works.

• Options
    Just got attacked by a Werecivet. From reading the combat reports, it appears he was gradually dismembered by a swordsdwarf and an axedwarf. The swordsman cut off his foot, then lower leg, then upper leg. The axeman cut of his hand and then the entire arm.

And the my commander, the guy with the broken weapon hand from earlier, punched his skull through his brain.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh shit, I think breaking the depot while the caravan was trading stole everything from them. I hope they aren't pissed at me for it. I didn't get a message or anything.

Yeah suddenly I have tons of stuff, cages of animals if nothing else...piles of things I didn't buy...

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Welp. Turns out one of my farmers jumped into a pond to escape that werecivet. And was too horrified to get out, so she drowned. And it's right at the entrance to my fort, and they won't recover her body from the deep water. So everyone going in or out is witnessing her rotting corpse (and many cancel task due to horror).

Now a tantrum spiral is erupting and fist fights everywhere.

e: gah, the book keeper who was killed by it had climbed a tree, also by the entrance, and died up there. I couldn't locate her corpse and nobody ever buried her, now I know why. Because it was hanging from a branch above the stairs.

And one of my farmers just snapped and punched the blacksmith in the head until he died.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Its been a few seasons now and no migrant wave. Im sad

edit: aaaaaand vile force of darkness

edit2: One of the goblins shot the wing off of a chick and the sheer horror of it sent them fleeing in terror

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    So it seems that the crazy lag I was getting when starting a new adventure mode was an actual issue, which is now partially fixed. Yay!
    07/21/2014 - Toady One. Took a first stab at the calendar lag today. Starting with a 200-year medium world running a 23 second dwarf mode two-week calendar and a 2 minute adventure mode two-week calendar (adv mode runs some extra information since the initial army/etc. positioning is important), I managed to get it down to 10 seconds and 11 seconds respectively by doing some normal optimizations and cleaning up some path-finding mistakes. There are many more things that can be done, and hopefully all of it can be done without weakening the simulation. The faster calendar affects regular fort mode speed to some degree, and also things like sleep being slow in adventure mode. The faster calendar is also good because it starts to open the door for optionally longer wait periods and other stuff like that. More bug fixes tomorrow, probably.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I think breaking the depot while the caravan was trading stole everything from them. I hope they aren't pissed at me for it. I didn't get a message or anything.

Yeah suddenly I have tons of stuff, cages of animals if nothing else...piles of things I didn't buy...

"Well, that's trading done, time to head home."

"Trading? Nonono, this was tribute you brought, and we are most grateful."

"What are you talking about? We just this second exchanged goods for other goods."

"If we're trading, then where's the trading post?"

Looks down "Huh, you have a point. Right boys, let's be off before we miss the tide."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    personally I find its better to just trade for any animal cages you wants, move them out of the depot, then flood it for profit

• Options
    Eh I don't need the goods that badly.

Now that I am making wooden spiked balls and selling them for 1500 dwarfbucks each and just wiping out every caravan of whatever I want.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    It usually doesn't take me very long to get a stonecrafting sweatshop running. 5-6 bins of crafts is usually enough to buy most of the stuff I want from the caravan while leaving a nice profit for the trader.

Very quickly the Humans and Elves find themselves up to their ears in shoddy dwarf trinkets.

I like to imagine an elf wandering on the beach somewhere is being harassed by peddlers pushing my poorly made stone tchotchkes.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Oh god, the last thing we need is another dwarfbucks vs dimdums debate.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I must not have played recently enough. I just can't find the list where you assign dwarfs to tasks such as mining/fishing and the like. I thought I could do it from the creature list/expedition list, but my v and c keys don't seem to work there. I thought you could get to it by looking at people, but no luck there either.

I've also discovered that all of my expedition dwarfs are weak. It's like the pilgrims fleeing to America, except instead of religious persecution they're fleeing all the bullying and taunting from their hometown. We'll see how they fare against the hordes of river otters.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I must not have played recently enough. I just can't find the list where you assign dwarfs to tasks such as mining/fishing and the like. I thought I could do it from the creature list/expedition list, but my v and c keys don't seem to work there. I thought you could get to it by looking at people, but no luck there either.

I've also discovered that all of my expedition dwarfs are weak. It's like the pilgrims fleeing to America, except instead of religious persecution they're fleeing all the bullying and taunting from their hometown. We'll see how they fare against the hordes of river otters.
    click v, highlight dorf, hit p, hit L

edit: alternatively from the dwarf list, you can highlight them, c to zoom to the dwarf, then p/L. but the best way to do anything is via dwarf therapist

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options

click v, highlight dorf, hit p, hit L

edit: alternatively from the dwarf list, you can highlight them, c to zoom to the dwarf, then p/L. but the best way to do anything is via dwarf therapist

Dwarf Therapist is up to date on both the current release and the previous ones, so you can skip monkeying around in those menus completely!

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    It usually doesn't take me very long to get a stonecrafting sweatshop running. 5-6 bins of crafts is usually enough to buy most of the stuff I want from the caravan while leaving a nice profit for the trader.

Very quickly the Humans and Elves find themselves up to their ears in shoddy dwarf trinkets.

I like to imagine an elf wandering on the beach somewhere is being harassed by peddlers pushing my poorly made stone tchotchkes.

Nah, remember a legendary crafter is churning out super valuable, super stylish tchotchkes. Sure, to the craftsdwarf he's just churning them out, but everyone else is staring at them with wide-eyed wonder.

• Options
    I seem to be having issues getting autofarm to work. Nothing is getting planted.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I was trying to boot up a new world for adventure mode but it keeps locking at Updating World where ti shows the calender

• Options
    Curses. I got a good location with a river and a volcano, but it seems I have a Giant Sponge sitting at my designated fishing/drinking spot.

This discussion has been closed.