As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Do all traps jam? The wiki seems to think so but others online have said that the spiked balls don't. Like because it's blunt damage or something.

I'm trying to picture how the spiked balls even work. I can picture serrated blades or axe blades like in Indiana Jones, I can picture spikes ejecting from the floor or ceiling, or other weapons doing so. How does a ball work, if it resets itself?

I guess maybe it's like a stone fall trap, but it's attached by a chain that retracts into the ceiling?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Maybe a spiked ball is attached to a chain on the ceiling, and will swing back and forth?

steam_sig.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I assumed it was attached to a pole and shoots out of the floor, then retracts.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited July 2014
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Maybe a spiked ball is attached to a chain on the ceiling, and will swing back and forth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lb92tL6R4A

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I always imagined it was one of these

u5rxDd7.jpg

Fleeb on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    *sigh* This version has a lot of good bug fixes in it, but the "horror" / morale code still seems to be completely broken; everyone seems to default to being an utter coward at the moment. I had a Goblin ambush attack my fort, kill two chickens and then flee in horror at the carnage they had just created.

Others have reported being able to murder entire towns with impunity, as the guards flee in terror the moment a drop of blood is spilled in their line of sight.

Mr Ray on
  • JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    I had a Werebuffalo show up in my first year. He splattered my carpenter then got horrified by the mess, turned back into a goblin and ran away. I honestly though everyone would die when he showed up.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I had a wear rabbit turn up to my fortress. Went all Monty Python on the elf merchant and his two guards and then ran for the hills. Good times all round.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    *sigh* This version has a lot of good bug fixes in it, but the "horror" / morale code still seems to be completely broken; everyone seems to default to being an utter coward at the moment. I had a Goblin ambush attack my fort, kill two chickens and then flee in horror at the carnage they had just created.

Others have reported being able to murder entire towns with impunity, as the guards flee in terror the moment a drop of blood is spilled in their line of sight.

Yeah. My hospital was rendered useless because there was a corpse in there that caused the chief medical dwarf to run away in horror every time he tried to diagnose a patient, even though he had Proficient Discipline (which is supposed to affect this stuff, right?). Other dwarves tried to bury the corpse, but ended up running in horror as well. By the time they finally hauled the offending corpse away, the chief medical dwarf was already throwing a tantrum and punching an unconscious patient to death. Upon realizing what he had done, he was horrified once more, and promptly went insane.

In another fort, some kind of a bird-man crashed into a tree and died. This horrified my miner so badly he dove into the nearby volcano.

I think modding the Bravery aspect in the raws for dwarves and other humanoids might help. I tried raising the median to 60 for all races, haven't had a chance to test the results yet. Might as well give everyone 100:100:100 which should make all individuals completely fearless until Toady gets around to fixing this.

MSL59.jpg
    Progress on the front facade, there's a weird lip in there because I wanted to taper the tower somewhat as it went up but it's not drastic enough and ends up looking a little odd. The top flares back out to the full width of the base like an old school castle tower, but again, it's not drastic enough.

6fe5Wf3.jpg

Massive bridge coming together, the descending slope is mostly done:

adnnGDG.jpg

JAVa3Gs.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    By the time they finally hauled the offending corpse away, the chief medical dwarf was already throwing a tantrum and punching an unconscious patient to death. Upon realizing what he had done, he was horrified once more, and promptly went insane.

Dwarven CPR.

"Live, damn you! LIIIIIIVE!"

And then, when he failed to save his patient, he realized what a failure he was as a doctor, as a dwarf.

Tune in, next week, to Urist's Anatomy.
    Where you'll hear Nurse Urist say, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me ..."

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I'd been doing really well, too well. The fun was fading.

My giant eagles and giant monitor lizards are now dead. I didn't get a message for it. What is stealthy enough to murder my kaiju?

Help me out here ...

I've created a world, and done a search for some embark parameters, and I find some great potential sites. So I go to one of them, hit embark, and load up my embark profile - which gets some errors. Like, no bituminous coal, no iron anvils, no malachite type errors.

Is there a way to get back to the map with my search parameters retained? Because I'm getting really tired of re-re-re-re-searching the entire damn world every time.
    And, yes, I should probably check the nearby civilizations thing before I hit embark, but I always forget.

Nope

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Yeah. My hospital was rendered useless because there was a corpse in there that caused the chief medical dwarf to run away in horror every time he tried to diagnose a patient, even though he had Proficient Discipline (which is supposed to affect this stuff, right?). Other dwarves tried to bury the corpse, but ended up running in horror as well. By the time they finally hauled the offending corpse away, the chief medical dwarf was already throwing a tantrum and punching an unconscious patient to death. Upon realizing what he had done, he was horrified once more, and promptly went insane.

In another fort, some kind of a bird-man crashed into a tree and died. This horrified my miner so badly he dove into the nearby volcano.

I think modding the Bravery aspect in the raws for dwarves and other humanoids might help. I tried raising the median to 60 for all races, haven't had a chance to test the results yet. Might as well give everyone 100:100:100 which should make all individuals completely fearless until Toady gets around to fixing this.

How would I go about doing this? I looked in creature_standard but the only creature with an attribute called "bravery" was Minotaurs for some reason...

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I am designating the first water features for my fort.

Maybe it will even be causality free!

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Dammit.

Filling ponds with buckets by hand is the worst. Utterly terrible. I just had a tiny little pond of 21 tiles and it was locked in a perpetual cycle of getting a lot of 1 depths, then much of it drying up, then starting to get more 1s, then drying, etc.

Ultimately I had to make a bridge that rose up in the middle to subdivide the thing in half, so that I could fill only half of it and then lower/destroy the bridge so the whole thing would be filled to a depth of 2 and 3 and it wouldn't evaporate.

How would I go about doing this? I looked in creature_standard but the only creature with an attribute called "bravery" was Minotaurs for some reason...

The personality facets default to 0:50:100 (minimum : median : maximum, defining the limits of some kind of normal-ish distribution) when a particular tag is missing from the raws. So you can just add any missing tags. Default dwarves on average are neither particularly brave nor cowardly, whereas minotaurs are almost always "incredibly brave in the face of looming danger, perhaps a bit foolhardy" or better.

Increasing bravery helps dwarves stay and fight foes, but I'm not 100% sure how much it affects the situation where they are horrified by mutilated corpses, or if that behavior is governed by something else. I think the prevailing theory is that it's a function of Bravery, the Discipline skill, and some other (random?) thing. Planning to do some testing later today myself.

MSL59.jpg
    I've gotta get set up with military stuff again.

I feel like every time I do it, even when I do everything right according to common knowledge, dwarves still get lots of unhappy thoughts with "long deployment" or whatever. From the wiki:
    Warning: Dwarves who are permanently on-duty with no downtime have been observed to begin to starve themselves keeping to the rigorous schedule, and thus grow unhappy. Do you really want to find out how much damage that practice spear can do? To allow some of your dwarves to go sleeping when they need, and also eat and drink (even from carried rations!), you need to lower the minimum number of dwarves of the squad that need to follow the current order at any time in the order criteria as listed above. You want the criteria to be at least one or two dwarves less than the current number of dwarves in your squad. This will change the limit for the current month only, so use the copy/paste feature to update every month. It should be emphasized that dwarves who are stationed or on patrol will not eat or drink from their backpacks and flasks. Backpacks and flasks are more to shorten break times than to eat in the field. If there are no opportunities for breaks, carried rations will not be utilized.

I do this. In fact, often I have a squad of 10 and I only set for 3 to be active at a time, just to be sure they aren't overworking themselves.
    More Warning: When using a rotation schedule as described in the warning above, military dwarves that have no civilian skills, and possibly also civilian dwarves who do not have any military skills can generate bad thoughts with disturbing frequency caused by them frequently going on and off duty from monthly rotations. To avoid this problem it may be a good idea to cross train all your militia with at least one level in a civilian skill.

But what the hell does this mean? What do civilian skills have to do with anything? Is the implication that I shouldn't have dwarves with "no job" when they go off of duty? That seems unavoidable, I have a huge force without much to do most of the time due to a couple dedicated legendary guys in every industry.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I've gotta get set up with military stuff again.

I feel like every time I do it, even when I do everything right according to common knowledge, dwarves still get lots of unhappy thoughts with "long deployment" or whatever. From the wiki:
    Warning: Dwarves who are permanently on-duty with no downtime have been observed to begin to starve themselves keeping to the rigorous schedule, and thus grow unhappy. Do you really want to find out how much damage that practice spear can do? To allow some of your dwarves to go sleeping when they need, and also eat and drink (even from carried rations!), you need to lower the minimum number of dwarves of the squad that need to follow the current order at any time in the order criteria as listed above. You want the criteria to be at least one or two dwarves less than the current number of dwarves in your squad. This will change the limit for the current month only, so use the copy/paste feature to update every month. It should be emphasized that dwarves who are stationed or on patrol will not eat or drink from their backpacks and flasks. Backpacks and flasks are more to shorten break times than to eat in the field. If there are no opportunities for breaks, carried rations will not be utilized.

I do this. In fact, often I have a squad of 10 and I only set for 3 to be active at a time, just to be sure they aren't overworking themselves.
    More Warning: When using a rotation schedule as described in the warning above, military dwarves that have no civilian skills, and possibly also civilian dwarves who do not have any military skills can generate bad thoughts with disturbing frequency caused by them frequently going on and off duty from monthly rotations. To avoid this problem it may be a good idea to cross train all your militia with at least one level in a civilian skill.

But what the hell does this mean? What do civilian skills have to do with anything? Is the implication that I shouldn't have dwarves with "no job" when they go off of duty? That seems unavoidable, I have a huge force without much to do most of the time due to a couple dedicated legendary guys in every industry.

A dwarven soldier with no civilian skills gets an unhappy thought for being taken off duty, presumably due to being upset that their skills as soldiers are being wasted while they are forced to do work they know nothing about. It is the same mechanic that makes civilians with no military skills upset when they are drafted.

All you need to do to prevent this is to train them up to a basic level in any work skill, good choices include planting, pumping and engraving.

Vic on
    Ah.

Is it really important to outfit archers all in leather? I'm seeing stuff about speed of movement due to the weight of the armor.

I'm reading that shield material doesn't matter at all, everyone should just use wooden shields due to less weight, and that even includes archers because for whatever reason they can use shields fine.

And I'm also reading that armor either does nothing at all vs. crossbow bolts, and/or mail shirts are superior to breastplates for this purpose.

Crossbow bolts were tuned in 40.05 so armor might work better against them now. As for breastplates and mail shirts, you can wear both at the same time, which should help against different types of attacks. Mail shirts also cover the neck (unlike breastplates), which should protect from decapitation.

Not sure what the optimal strategy for archer armor is. They have an annoying tendency to get within melee range and start bashing enemies with their crossbows, so metal armor might help their survivability a bit.

MSL59.jpg
    The reason that people recommend leather armor for marksdwarves is that, until you're pretty well-trained in Armor Using (or whatever it's called), armor slows down your actions a lot, with an increasing amount based on the armor's weight.

Marksdwarves live and die by their rate of fire - so you want them shooting as many bolts as possible as fast as possible so that they never end up in melee combat. But, you also don't want them completely unprotected.

So, put them in relatively light leather to avoid having too much weight with some decent, not great, protection.

Do diagonal blocks not equalise water pressure anymore? I can't seem to stop my underground channel from overflowing into the fort despite having the equaliser the Z-level below.

sig.gif
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    They do, or did in .04. Screenshots?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    be a dwarf and set up an intricate pressure plate system to control water levels, none of this diagonal block nonsense

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    Eh I solved it, it was open air so pressure as forcing water up and over the equaliser blocks. I built an artificial ceiling.

Drama in the fort, a dwarf found murdered in someone else's bed. Pretty sure I've got a vampire on my hands.

sig.gif
    Be a dwarf, dont provide water.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Be a dwarf, don't provide water.

I remember when I first started with Dwarf Fortress, and couldn't figure out why all my Dwarves were pissed off when they had all that fresh water to drink.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I came to Dwarf Fortress a bit backwards, having found Minecraft first. Having a lot of fun with DF!

However I've having a bit of a problem. So far I can make it into Winter ok, but at that point my water supplies freeze up and all my dwarves die of thirst. What's the best way to secure a water supply?

Your dwarves... drink water?

You sadistic bastard.

Water underground does not freeze, make a cistern.

@MechMantis for an excellent reply to a newbie question from way back when (Oct 2010).

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
    Had a child go into a strange mood and subsequently go beserk. Then my militia commander hit him in the head with a hammer.

Said commander's thoughts read "Took joy in slaughter lately. He lost a friend to tragedy recently."

sig.gif
    edited August 2014
    "I'm sad that little Jimmy's dead, but on the other hand that fucker had it coming."

Speaking of hilarious acts of DF child abuse, I'm reminded of when I attempted a human town in an older version. I'd always wanted to try an above ground fort, and with some minor modifications you can play as humans and enable human weapons like pikes, two-handed swords and bows, so that's what I did. I had trouble getting everybody housed quickly without being able to just dig out rooms, so everyone who didn't have their own house yet was living in one shared longhouse which was both a dormitory and meeting/dining area. This was far from ideal and caused a lot of disturbed sleep, and on top of everything else it was a pretty rainy biome and my humans were spending most of their time outdoors. Basically there were a lot of minor issues providing bad thoughts, and it was only a matter of time before somebody snapped. So of course somebody did, and directed his rage towards a child, already injured, resting in a bed nearby. Motherfucker. By a stroke of luck, an archer was right outside and rushed to the boy's aid as everyone else fled in panic. His first shot caught the berserker in the arm, doing only minor damage (wooden arrows). The bastard turns his attention to the archer, running at him full tilt, but the second shot hits him right in the head, piercing the brain. As the body is cleaned up, I take a look to see who the relatives of the boy, archer and beserker were. The berserker was a recent migrant and had no friends and relatives. The archer... was the boy's father.

Holy shit.

Mr Ray on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Then the child was kidnapped by a goblin snatcher, and 10 years later, lead a goblin siege of the town, forcing the father to put him down.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited August 2014
    BYToady wrote: »
    Then the child was kidnapped by a goblin snatcher, and 10 years later, lead a goblin siege of the town, forcing the father to put him down.

I'm still waiting for this to happen to me, plenty of people have had kidnapped children show up in invading sieges years later and my children are notoriously easy to kidnap, but it just hasn't happened to me yet. Also I think it was actually the heart the berserk guy got shot in; I'm not sure that a wooden bolt could pierce the skull without going through the eye-socket. It might even have been the neck; I just remember it was an amazing precision shot to a vital organ that killed him instantly.

I've also been looking into how to fix the "everyone is cowards" problem. It sounds like the issue is the new discipline skill, which determines whether someone runs when losing a fight or confronted with injury or death. As everybody starts with 0 discipline skill, they default to fleeing at the slightest hint of death or injury. If you put "[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:2]" in the raws of whatever creatures you want to affect, they'll start with adequate discipline. Obviously you can adjust this upwards or downwards as you feel appropriate.

Bravery apparently only affects whether or not a creature will engage another in the first place, not whether they'll run when injured.

Mr Ray on
    My "favorite" is dwarves carrying out vermin remains to my refuse stockpile.

I've got, like, 4 dwarves who insist on doing this task, but then cancel every time they get close: Horrified!

It's like. "Oh, no, I can't stand the sight of all those dead roaches. The horror!"

Also, is there any way to make bones from skeletal remains? I've got some animals that were killed in the sole-goblin attack my fort has ever had, and they've rotted away to skeletons in the refuse pile, but I can't see a way to do anything with them.

Also, also, you know you've been playing too much Dwarf Fortress when you've taken your son out of the tub and are cleaning up the toys, and your first thought is ...
    Human_Marksman_Resized_zps3bf39c08.jpg
    Oh, hey - a human marksman!

Ok now I want to buy magnetic letters and make a Dwarf Fortress scene. This MUST happen.

I'll need lots of odd characters though.

I think you can order skeletal remains to be butchered, turning them into individual bones.

I think you can order skeletal remains to be butchered, turning them into individual bones.

Do you know how?

I keep getting, "No butcherable live-animal" cancellation messages.

edited August 2014
    Dwarfs won't butcher the skeletons of dead things. Though I believe if someone gets their arm cut off and you wait for it to decay to skeletal, that can be butchered.

Woe is me, my save corrupted.

Genned a new world, time to rebuild the old fort stronger, better, faster.

Rami on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.