As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    alright, time to start a new fortress again, because i'm still on 40_04

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I have no idea how I accumulated so many bags. Well, I kind of do, I've been getting a lot of sand for glass and some bags of other various things, but I didn't expect that I would have as much as I do now. Gotta mass sell I guess.

Apparently I haven't played enough long term games to see the sort of problems I'm seeing, including clothing production.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    In the early spring, 253, a group of 14 dwarves arrived at Clappedurns. They were the not the first group to travel to the new fort, but they were the first in quite some time. In that group was a talented armorer named Aloth Shorastgim ("Wiretwist"). She arrived at the fort, and a few days later, found herself possessed by the need to make something amazing. She took over a forge, and began searching for just the right ingredients - but there were none to be found. A fellow dwarf noted her love for bronze, and noticing an unused bronze pick in the armory, melted it down.

That bronze pick was particularly plain - it had been one of the first things made in the new fortress, out of ore that the original seven dwarves had brought with them from the Mountainhome, smelted and forged under the sky near what would become the new fort's entrance. That pick helped carve out the initial rooms and chambers. It cut the clay farm from the hillside, the farm that has provided food to the dwarves ever since. It hewed the rocks that were made into trade goods, so the dwarves could afford to buy more metalworking supplies.

And, most importantly, it was the pick that hollowed out much of the great cistern, where water would be stored year-round, protected deep underground from the cold temperatures that freeze the brook outside every year.

Unfortunately, during the construction of that cistern, there was an accident, and a dwarf removing some of the temporary scaffolding fell and injured himself. Although he was taken to a quickly-set-up hospital, and had his wounds tended, he soon slipped into unconsciousness.

The cistern was to supposed to be filled from the brook, but unfortunately the pipe which fed it was not wide enough, restricting the flow of water. Before the cistern could fill enough to have more than a damp, muddy floor, the brook froze over, and the inflow of water stopped. The cistern dried out - and, over the course of that winter, Tobul Sakzuluvel, Miner, grew more and more dehydrated until his body could take no more, and finally he died in the middle of that first winter. He was the first dwarf from Clappedurns to pass, and was interred in a simple hill-side tomb where, later on, two of his friends would be buried next to him.

Almost three years after Tobul's accident, Aloth Shorastgim, Armorer, would travel to Clappedurns with her husband, seeking a new home and hoping to raise a family. She would, unknowing, take up the metal from Tobul's pick, and forge a gauntlet from it: Drillsimple, the Suitor of Braving.

31v35syt90hl.png

• Options
    Anyone know how to remove grass, short of building floor over it?

I've got this place with rough rock floor, except these two strips where I collapsed some leftover bits. I'd rather not have to pave the whole floor to make it look uniform.

6OQ2gij.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky‌

You could try building a dirt road over them.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    First liaison to my new fort just told me how 3 fortresses have fallen to The Fetid Lie, a gobbo civ.

So, I guess I'm getting fucked sometime soon.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    OMG I fuckin hate vampires. One just ate my awesome armorer.

Anybody know a good way to identify them? I know about looking for crazy awesome social skills, and so far my method has been to lock up anyone with great social skills in a solitary room, and if they get hungry I let them out. So far I've found two guys (one is my current mayor) that don't get hungry after like a year locked up, so I can only assume they're vamps. But people are still getting drained, and I don't have anyone with crazy awesome social skills that I haven't hunger-tested yet :( I have like 150 dudes and I can't lock up everybody to test.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @UncleSporky‌

Won't let me build it over the grass. I think I can build something else on the grass to temporarily get rid of it though, which might open it up for a dirt road...

Also hahaha what the heck, I love this

cmKaGIv.jpg

"GUYS I WROTE THIS BOOK AND I WANT AS MANY PEOPLE TO READ IT AS POSSIBLE WHAT SHOULD I CALL IT"

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @UncleSporky‌

Won't let me build it over the grass. I think I can build something else on the grass to temporarily get rid of it though, which might open it up for a dirt road...

Build a floor over it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Fleeb wrote: »

Anybody know a good way to identify them? I know about looking for crazy awesome social skills, and so far my method has been to lock up anyone with great social skills in a solitary room, and if they get hungry I let them out. So far I've found two guys (one is my current mayor) that don't get hungry after like a year locked up, so I can only assume they're vamps. But people are still getting drained, and I don't have anyone with crazy awesome social skills that I haven't hunger-tested yet :( I have like 150 dudes and I can't lock up everybody to test.

this is what you do. Take one of the known vampires, and put him in a room next to your cistern. Build a trap that will damage or kill said vampire. Flood the room the vampire is locked up in, start stabbing the vampire like crazy so their blood gets in your water supply.

problem fixed. everyone who drinks that water becomes a vampire.

edit: I just embarked to a location that has like 10 necromancer towers and a pits and goblins and kobolds. its dorf time.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »

I haven't played much of the 2014 version but in the 2012 version two of the common ways to tell were Vamps usually had massive lists of acquaintances who aren't present in your fort and that vampires always have white hair.

Or just do what I do in the future and disable vampires on world gen.

• Options
    Vampires don't sleep so they will never have 'slept in/on/without' status in their thoughts. Which is a dead give away because dwarves sleep often enough they will always have a comment on being disturbed, sleeping in their room, sleeping on the floor etc.

Also relationships -> view deity, if they were cursed by their deity in the past they are a vampire.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    If your booze stocks are good, look for the dwarf super upset about not having anything to drink for awhile. Not being able to drink alcohol is the true vampire's curse.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Migrants that arrive with a long list of kills (particularly if they have no military skills) are also to be treated with suspicion.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Lock all migrants up in cells until their starvation proves their dwarfiness.

If it's already to late and a vampire has snuck in. Lock all current dwarves in a sub-basement. Last man standing gets your record keeping job, migrants will rebuild wondering forever where the detailed tallies of all their stocks come from.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    My new fort is weird because everyone arriving is part of a family from wherever is getting ransacked by goblin armies. Everyone arrives with spouses and kids and has a list of aunts and cousins and shit a page long. They also tend to have good social skills and at least dabbling/novice combat skills since it seems a lot of them are killing wildlife on their way here, or were guards for the previous fort.

Basically it's just a never ending vampire alarm.

sig.gif
  • Options
    well this fortress is turning out to be a bust, the first caravan i got told me that everything was burning, and no one else has come to hang out. I have been under siege by a necromancer and a total of 3 undead for over a year now. They aren't doing anything bad, just kind of standing far away but I also haven't gotten any migrants.

• Options
    I don't think anything will show up any more while you're under siege, other than another group of invaders.

I tried to build a waterfall cascading through the entrance to my fort, with a small pool of water below that goes up through two pumps to fall from the ceiling and through a floor grate. That part works fine, the problem is dwarves won't walk through the cascade because it's always 4/7 depth or greater, which makes no sense because the reservoir below the grate is only at 1/7. It seems like water moves vertically really slowly, causing it to build up on the tile they should be able to walk through.

Not yet sure how to solve this. May have to just stick the waterfalls down the side and just have the mist to make people happy. I really wanted the cascade to automatically clean anyone who entered though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    finally got a migrant wave, living with only 15 dwarfs does not do well for me.

up to 33 now! but 7 are children/babies.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    @UncleSporky‌

This didn't really work, it left "furrowed clay" which decayed quickly to normal grass again. Actually it also becomes furrowed clay when I build floor over it and remove the floor.

Collapsing must actually replace the rough rock floor tile with whatever was on the surface. There's no way for it to ever be rough rock again, unless I do obsidian shenanigans.
    Brody wrote: »
    Build a floor over it?

That's what I didn't want to have to do, but I guess I'll have to if I want it looking uniform. I liked the idea of leaving it rough but whatever.

• Options
    well i found an important note: if 2 necromancers siege your fort, their undead minions hate the other necromancer.

I now have 34 undead lounging around my fort with no necromancers.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    well i found an important note: if 2 necromancers siege your fort, their undead minions hate the other necromancer.

I now have 34 undead lounging around my fort with no necromancers.

Is that an improvement? I really don't know that I'd want 34 undead anywhere near where I live, but then I'm not a dwarf.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Well, I assume it went from 32 undead and two necromancers to 34 undead and zero necromancers. Both options are better than any number of wagonmancers.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky‌

This didn't really work, it left "furrowed clay" which decayed quickly to normal grass again. Actually it also becomes furrowed clay when I build floor over it and remove the floor.

Collapsing must actually replace the rough rock floor tile with whatever was on the surface. There's no way for it to ever be rough rock again, unless I do obsidian shenanigans.
    Brody wrote: »
    Build a floor over it?

That's what I didn't want to have to do, but I guess I'll have to if I want it looking uniform. I liked the idea of leaving it rough but whatever.

Make a paved road. It looks like flooring but uses a lot less rock.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    i really need one more migrant wave, that i can draft into hammertime squad, also for a dwarven trader to make it to me so i can get an anvil and start making steel armor and silver warhammers.

• Options
    So anyway. Results of goblin siege, 1 dead goblin, 9 caged goblins.

Free helms and breastplates for all! Surprised to loot so many halberds though, they're kinda too big for goblins to use well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    So I take it sieges still aren't fixed in 40.05? Has anyone had any FPS problems with that version at least? I had terrible FPS in 40.04 once I dug down to find magma.

• Options
    More progress on things. Working on a little aboveground town next.

XWUBeY3.jpg

qxdOVAS.jpg

3ByZ5u5.jpg

• Options
    what utility are you using for those screenshots?

• Options
    The first one is Stonesense and the others are Overseer.

If you use the Lazy Newb Pack or PeridexisErrant or whatever you want to call it, they're both built in.

To use Stonesense:

- Load up your game
    - Click on the little console window that comes up alongside your game, type stonesense and hit enter
    - Arrow keys move the view
    - Scroll wheel changes floors
    - Ctrl+scroll wheel expands the number of floors visible at once...the more you make visible, the more it will chug though
    - Type > or < to zoom the view
    - F5 takes a screenshot, which is saved loose in your Dwarf Fortress folder
    - Ctrl+F5 takes a screenshot of the entire map using your current view settings, i.e. number of layers seen at once etc., this is how I took the top screen

To use Overseer:

- Load up your game
    - Click on the little console window that comes up alongside your game
    - Type mapexport <name> and hit enter, this saves a map file in your Dwarf Fortress folder that Overseer can use to render in 3D
    - Navigate to \PeridexisErrant LNP r<whatever>\LNP\utilities\Overseer 0.70.1 and open Overseer.exe
    - Click ok, then awkwardly navigate up a few levels and into your DF folder where you saved the map, open it
    - Mouse to aim, wasd to move, hold shift while moving to move faster
    - I wasn't able to get its screenshot command to work so I just used printscreen and pasted it into Paint

• Options
    welp

Peasant labourer just inherited the position of King, and a farmer inherited a Barony. So our home civ basically just got fucked up. Also I have like, 50 guys.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Holy shit I am completely confused and angry.

I had loads of weapons and armor and now I can't find any of it. I go to stocks and search for anything and find nothing. I have 1 iron crossbow, 1 steel mace, 1 steel battle axe, and 2 steel warhammers. And I have a bunch of steel bolts. No breastplates, no mail shirts, no greaves, no helms. I spent YEARS making steel and then crafting these items. Where the hell are they?!

I also bought a ton of them from the dwarven caravan over multiple years.

Does "melt a metal object" melt any random thing in the fortress? I thought I had to specifically flag them to be melted, right? I've been melting down iron corkscrews for the 150% return on iron when you made and then melt them. Better not have been melting all my steel shit...

God dammit. I finally get to the point where I think I'm ready to start an army and I have nothing.

EDIT: But then looking at the military screen, they have the green icons next to the armors where it shows if they have them or not:

WhsRFRR.jpg

Most of them are showing they have all the steel equipment.

But they're not actually wearing any of it. And I can't find any evidence of it anywhere in the fortress.

When I go in to assign a specific piece of equipment to them, I can suddenly see lots of armor. Steel mail shirts etc. Some of them are marked in red for some reason, some aren't. Why can't they find them? Why doesn't stocks list them? Where are they? Is it possible for a noble to claim them all and stick them on their armor/weapon racks or something?

Wiki says that red equipment means it's too big for your dwarves, but I have never bought a single large item from humans, I know how all that works.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Do the dwarves have holdings? They may have claimed the items and stored them in their cabinets or armour racks. But you have replace clothing enabled so they should wear it. Try changing exact matches to partial matches on the equip screen.

Also looks like you may have assigned too much clothing, try removing all the non-metal items and then check on the inventory after a day or two.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    And just like that...having done nothing different, changed no settings, after deciding to forget about it for a while...I can now go into stocks and see all the steel equipment I had made. Tons of it. Still just searching for "steel" like I did 5 minutes ago...

Everything is suddenly fine and they all are equipping their stuff. What the hell.

It's all still on exact matches. I had made a new uniform specifying steel mail shirt, steel greaves etc., along with leather robe, leather cloak, sock, the whole shebang. I changed it from over clothes to replace clothes and back a couple times, but that shouldn't have affected whether stocks shows steel weapons and armor.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Probably someone was hauling the bin containing all the stuff and it disappeared from the screen temporarily. Same reason you get so many cancelled seed planting announcements as someone wanders off with the bag.

sig.gif
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Sporky that is a good looking fort and awesome location. I haven't found magma near the surface in forever, what's your secret?

• Options
    Sporky that is a good looking fort and awesome location. I haven't found magma near the surface in forever, what's your secret?

I don't understand all the settings perfectly, but the following is what I did and it's very serviceable for giving you plenty of volcanoes in decent locations.

From the title screen, Design New World with Advanced Parameters
    Move to "large region," second one down (or whatever size you like)
    Press c to copy it
    Type capital N, name it Volcanoes or whatever you like
    Press e
    Scroll down until you see volcanism
    DON'T change min and max volcanism, those should stay at 0 and 100
    Change volcanism x-variance and y-variance to 1000 each
    Keep moving down until you get to volcanism mesh size, I don't really understand it that much but I think it can help to change it
    Change the volcanism mesh weighted range 60-80 to 2, and 80-100 to 4, I figure that's double and quadruple what the rest of the "mesh" is, so whatever
    Change minimum volcano number to something higher, the higher it is the more worlds might be rejected, I picked 30 but you could go to 40 or 50
    Change mineral scarcity to 100 because you want lots of good minerals all over
    Change all the minimum desert squares to none, because with less desert, all the more rivers and volcanoes will be near each other
    Go out and press F6 to save, then enter
    Create your world, and you may want to export a picture of it when it's done because you'll be able to see volcanoes on that
    When choosing an embark location, volcanoes look like red trap icons on the region map, the local map shows them as a red smudge

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    Probably someone was hauling the bin containing all the stuff and it disappeared from the screen temporarily. Same reason you get so many cancelled seed planting announcements as someone wanders off with the bag.

Can 10 of all armors and weapons fit in one bin? Just seems weird that ALL of it was gone at the same time.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Thanks for that, Sporky.

Maybe they were carrying them to store or had them personally stored in their rooms? Do they ever un-armor on months where they don't train?

• Options
    Maybe. I had literally just started up the military though, including appointing the captain.

I've had invasions off on this fort for 10 years just because I wanted to be able to focus on building cool things without getting attacked constantly, and honestly it can be tough enough keeping everyone happy, crafting clothes and endless noble mandates, and making sure people don't fall to their death while constructing and deconstructing.

But the wild animals are starting to be assholes and I can't abide them anymore. The war dogs I brought have done a great job keeping them down when necessary, but most of them have died of old age and regular dogs aren't very good fighters. Badgers keep raging and killing dogs and puppies and enough is enough, I had to round up a posse to hunt them down. Good time to start them training for when I turn invasions off anyway.

This discussion has been closed.