As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    I also recommend that you get Peridexis Errant's Noob Pack. It comes with the latest edition of dfhack already installed as well as all the standard texture packs. It makes setting up the game a total breeze.

Dfhack is not really a mod per say, but it comes with a ton of quality of life improvements that I personally can't do without anymore.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I also recommend that you get Peridexis Errant's Noob Pack. It comes with the latest edition of dfhack already installed as well as all the standard texture packs. It makes setting up the game a total breeze.

Dfhack is not really a mod per say, but it comes with a ton of quality of life improvements that I personally can't do without anymore.

... like fixing the Trade and Hold Meeting and Feed Prisoners task priority. It's worth it for that alone.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Dfhack is basically a tool that utilises knowledge of where DF put's various bits of the game in memory. The easiest example is "digv", I think that's the command anyway... To use it you highlight a type of material you want to dig out with the dig tool, switch to the Dfhack command line (based on linux shell it seems) and input "digv". All connected tiles on that level of the same type will then be marked to be dug out, regardless of whether you could see them or not. Thus either saving you the tedious task of checking on your miners every few seconds to mark out newly uncovered ores; or your dwarves from carving out that great ugly square that you hope fits in all the ore. Moving towards the even more cheaterly, there are tools which will mark all ores across all dlevels of a specified type for digging.

All in all there are hundreds of different commands, of varying degrees of usefulness. As @Elvenshae mentioned some small task priority switches are some of the most sublime.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I agree that it's super useful, but throwing it on a newbie further complicates an already Herculean effort (learning DF basics).

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    As someone who dabbled in DF before on and off and could never get into it until I tried the noob pack I would disagree. I don't know if they have the auto job function in the newer versions of df but 34.11 was the version I really started playing and having dfhack handle switching dwarf labors around to get things done based on my commands helped with managing what I had to learn at once, then as I got more comfortable I switched over to using dwarf therapist. (Something else everyone should have imo, I think it's more likely to turn someone off having to use the default game ui rather then something like DT that makes it so much easier to control your dwarves.)

steam_sig.png
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I agree that it's super useful, but throwing it on a newbie further complicates an already Herculean effort (learning DF basics).

Yeah, I'd probably agree with you. With the only aside being aforementioned task priority changes (done via check list in the Newbie Pack) and Dwarf Therapist. Being able to assign jobs to dwarves without wading through the job UI quagmire is a godsend and useful at all levels of play.

Even if you never touch any of the external commands like auto labor or workflow, dfhack is worth it for the basic stuff it adds to the game. Stuff like showing you the exact size of your selection boxes, which the vanilla game does not do.

I don't see any reason not to have it. It just does too much useful stuff, even if you don't realize it's there.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I actually played probably 10 or 15 forts with the LNP before I even looked at DFhack. Its there to fix things, and it comes preconfigured in the LNP. If you want to do more with it when you are ready, its already there. If you never want to use it, just minimize it and keep dworfing.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    All this activity in this thread, making me want to update to the newest version and see if the patches fixed the FPS death my fort died.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited December 2014
    I'm still rocking 40.13, my current fort is just too cool to give it up. For the first time, I've decided to build UP, a massive tower reaching into the sky, situated on a volcano. My magma smelters run day and night, and my metal smithers have a near unlimited amount of gold and silver to forge from. I just decided to spice things up a bit by declaring war on the elves, I've begun by stripping the map of trees and murdering their caravans.

I know the save will move over, but some of the new features wont work on my map and all sorts of emotional havoc will happen by upgrading to the new thoughts system.

Sceptre on
    edited December 2014
    Guess who just learned how to make fancy Motion gifs!

The upper levels of my fort:

zyJoSVB.gif

The lower levels of my fort, beginning with the top of the Volcano:

IlGH0cQ.gif

Tremble before my overloaded traffic routes and inefficient workshop layouts!

Sceptre on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So I started playing DF again, and I'm trying to get stonesense to follow my camera properly... It appears to not be lined up with what I'm looking at with the game, anyone know how to put in an offset while still having it 'follow' my in game view?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Did toady ever fix dwarves bring terrified of everything?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited February 2015
    A long time ago. Some pretty cool stuff lately, like the ability to prioritize designations. It Let's you easily tell your dwarves to dig out one layer completely before moving to another one.

Sceptre on
    Been a long time since I've booted up Dwarf Fort... Decided to give the Dark Ages mod a whirl and all of a sudden it was 3:00 in the morning.

It's really well put together, mostly just adds a lot of extra stuff to the Vanilla game and ramps up the difficulty a bit. The regular game just didn't feel as threatening as .34, so it adds up to a lot of extra FUN.

Sceptre wrote: »
    Been a long time since I've booted up Dwarf Fort... Decided to give the Dark Ages mod a whirl and all of a sudden it was 3:00 in the morning.

It's really well put together, mostly just adds a lot of extra stuff to the Vanilla game and ramps up the difficulty a bit. The regular game just didn't feel as threatening as .34, so it adds up to a lot of extra FUN.

Looks very cool. Seen any ancient horrors yet?

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I've been on the edge of downloading this again too. Quite a bit of new stuff added, notably people seeking to join your fortress as a full citizen. Including Elves that you can immediately force to go cut down trees.

On the other hand there's another big update coming soon, which includes the ability to create poetry and music. Also writing books and building libraries. Scholars will even reference previously published works.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    I'm pretty stoked for the next update, the whole tavern thing sounds pretty exciting. Today there was a terrible accident as a visiting merchant's wizard set all my trees on fire trying to defend himself from a badger of all things. Wouldn't have been that bad except for the fact that I had a lot of dwarves picking fruit from those trees at the time...

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    How is FPS?

Also is people joining your fortress part of the mod or the main game?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's part of the regular game. I've never used any content changing mods, just the tilesets/visualisers

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    God this game. It's so intimidating to pick up again after several updates.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It's like falling off a bike. It hurts, but you never forget how.

Or something.

Fleeb on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yes. I'll never forget how to send optimistic Dwarven settlers to die miserable sweaty deaths in the clammy claustrophobic depths of the earth.

edited July 2015
    So I foolishly left my game open overnight, did not realize that I didn't have Autosave turned on. A bustling three year fortress that had already seen some serious shit, completely gone thanks to windows update restarting my PC . Whatever... that site was filled to the brim with cobaltite of all things, which is pretty useless (unless you want to make big blue buildings!).

I tried out using a tileset for a bit, and it looked nice, but I am definitely an ASCII kind of guy.

Once you can see the matrix there's no going back. I honestly think dwarf fortress is one of the most beautiful games ever made, and the ASCII just enhances it. Rolling hills, towering mountains, dark and murky jungles... past a certain point your brain fills in all the little details you'd get from better graphics.
    My only complaint about the graphics is that it's hard to process caverns visually. They usually span multiple Z levels, and their layout is pretty chaotic. It can be pretty tricky once you start to dig out rooms and buildings, it's very easy to miss an entry point or something when building a ceiling or carving out a room.

Sceptre on
    I think it works both ways too. I've used a tileset from the outset (cue beat box), so trying to play on ASCII just makes my brain fall over. I'm not willing to help him up again over and over.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I can play it both ways. Well, I used to be able to. I haven't used ASCII in so long that I think I'd be confused as to what many of the symbols for new things would represent - I think he's kind of run out of characters.

But I was there from the beginning getting along fine with ASCII. Though I was one of the first people to modify the ASCII png to start adding in graphics. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    When reading DF updates, ever get that feeling that future generations, hard at work under the lash of their robot overlords, will look back at us poorly for not stopping this? I feel like the last update was one of those:
    The work on adventurer composition led into finalizing the new written content generally and making sure I had handled all of the promises I'd made to various people over the last few months. Philosophical study opens up different avenues of discussion that allow people to pass their values to both individual readers and to a lesser extent through the underlying civilization when there's a library with a copy. This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes. Poetry written in certain poetic forms can currently spread values before philosophers come up with specific language that can be used in prose, though not all civilizations will have such traditions.

Generally, there's more information in all of the written content now, and there are more sorts. For instance, after the difficult concept of an alternate history is tackled by historians, they can write books pivoting around the negation of particular events. Mostly it hasn't been earth-shaking... dwarves wondering what life would be like if an antelope man hadn't attacked their town or if a competition had turned out a different way. One historian wrote a book considering how things would have been if the author had remained an architect instead of becoming a historian a decade before. It would be possible to weight the event selected with an importance check, but there are complications as usual. There are also cultural histories, genealogies, atlases, chronicles, the various biographies I mentioned before, etc., which have their proper topics and sometimes some historical events selected, and they occasionally push a value agenda when the author and form is capable of it.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    I would never fear robot overlords powered by DF. They'd go into fey moods, get grumpy, and destroy their own bases and facilities before drowning (they'll find a way) in a puddle three inches deep.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I would never fear robot overlords powered by DF. They'd go into fey moods, get grumpy, and destroy their own bases and facilities before drowning (they'll find a way) in a puddle three inches deep.

But before the eventual tantrum spiral, they might be able to build the mother of all pump stacks and cover the entire surface of the Earth in magma.

MSL59.jpg
    Man I'd love to see Toady's source code.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Do you guys have a good setup on dealing with extremely hostile embark zones? I've lost a fort several times thanks to complications with the Undead, I reclaim it but the few zombies left sticking around are completely capable of massacring my starting dwarves, and they don't have time to do much other than run from the wagon into the fortress, isolating them from their supplies. The undead themselves are extremely difficult to kill on their own, I've thrown entire squads at a re-animated dwarf only to have them all be massacred.

Sceptre on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    You gotta at least be curious about the commenting.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

This is what, in legend and lore, is commonly known as hubris.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    /**
    * This is behavioural code for a dwarf. All coding is of
    * the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of GOTO
    * commands. It is made from C++. The threads are
    * tenuous, cobbled together with conflicting statements
    * about whether to ignore commands or use a baby as
    * a weapon. On the code is an image of Toady and a player.
    * The player is crying. Toady is laughing. The artwork relates
    * to the change to 3D fortresses in 2008.
    * /

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Rend wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

This is what, in legend and lore, is commonly known as hubris.

And lo did campy start his quest to find /
    the code on which the world itself was run /
    With steel in hand and fortune in his mind /
    He sought those functions toward the setting sun /

but little did he know that he would be /
    a tragic tale before his journey done /
    for though he searched in air on land and sea /
    and verily would find that sacred key /
    he'd find the reading would be too much FUN /

Rend on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    /**
    * This is behavioural code for a dwarf. All coding is of
    * the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of GOTO
    * commands. It is made from C++. The threads are
    * tenuous, cobbled together with conflicting statements
    * about whether to ignore commands or use a baby as
    * a weapon. On the code is an image of Toady and a player.
    * The player is crying. Toady is laughing. The artwork relates
    * to the change to 3D fortresses in 2008.
    * /

That's the most beautiful thing I've read in a long, long time.

Yeah, holy crap. That was poetic.

On the code is an image of Toady and a player.
    The player is crying. Toady is laughing.

Owwwwww, my face and belly.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    So this is pretty entertaining. It's been going on for a while, but I only noticed the thread just now: the story of Silentthunder, a fortress utilizing (semi-)captured Necromancers to wage eternal war against the Hidden Fun Stuff. (It involves spoilers regarding the Hidden Fun Stuff, if that's something you want to avoid.)

Highlights include near-immortal werecivets and werepossums fighting in the front lines:
    Both Datan and Asmel took part in an experiment which tried to infect a number of Dwarves with the werecivet curse that afflicted the captured human Shastol Mongquaka. Half of them did not survive infection. One died from their wounds before the full moon. One was caught outside a containment zone when the full moon struck, killing one Dwarf from the Sacrificial Constructs before being taken down by Captain Nil Erith and killed. One went berserk and was killed by Asmel. Of the final surviving three Sigun could not handle being isolated from the Fort and picked a fight with Datan that Sigun did not win.

And animated body parts in cages:
    I finally got around to installing her own animated severed arm in her bedroom. Hopefully when she grows up she'll appreciate her pet arm; it's a damn shame Toady hasn't gotten around to allowing medical dwarves to reattach limbs - the arm has not rotted one bit, and is in fact even more muscly than when it left little Asmel's body. It would do her good on her body, minus the fact that the arm may still harbour a hatred for everything that lives.

MSL59.jpg
This discussion has been closed.