As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help expanding on resume

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Right now I'm working as a call center wage slave in rural Illinois. I'm looking at a company out in Palo Alto that three of my childhood friends have gotten hired at... looking at an Facilities Operations Analyst position, wondering how in the world do I make a resume after 9 years of finding jobs by straight up applications.

I've made resumes for myself before, but I've never been 100% sure how to format them in the best manner. Any tips on that? Also, I'm confused as far as length. Considering that most of my previous work experience is retail, fast food, or general service industry, would it make sense to have a resume that's longer than a page?

Here's the job posting, if that would help:
Responsibilities

Simultaneously execute time-dependent tasks from building work stations and executing employee moves to managing facilities infrastructure
Be prepared to take on anything that’s thrown at you
Be passionate about your work and the mission of Palantir
Requirements

High school diploma; some college preferred
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Experience in construction, maintenance or facilities
Enthusiastic team player and openness to feedback from teammates
Hours may vary; a flexible schedule is ideal as weekend work will be required for special company events or projects

I know that for this job my cover letter is going to be key to getting me an interview. Everything on here fits me perfectly, however from my work experience it would be difficult for an HR person to actually see that. How would you go about formatting a resume for this position? Considering that I have some college (I'm 6 months away from getting my bachelors in animation, but have no way to finish out financially) would that be important to play up? Or the skillsets I've acquired being one of the "goto guys" at the various retail jobs I've worked at?

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Everything on here fits me perfectly, however from my work experience it would be difficult for an HR person to actually see that.

This is what the cover letter and resume are for. You know exactly what the HR person wants, so make everything easy for them to spot in the resume. And use the cover letter to tell a story about one of them - whichever that those friends know is the most important to the company.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So far what I have is this:
    Objective
    Seeking a position as an Operations Analyst at a reputable company, where my talents and skills will be put to good use to contribute to the company’s overall success.
    Professional Overview
    • Background in a variety of skillsets including home renovation, graphic design, and event coordination
    • Ability to have a perfectionist’s eye while staying goal and task oriented
    • Self-starter who is able to see project’s potential problems and fix them
    • Team and task oriented depending on project’s needs
    • Works well in fast paced environment requiring multitasking abilities
    Computer Skills
    • Possesses high level of hardware/software computer troubleshooting skills with in Windows OS
    • Excels with visual arts programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, 3D Studio Max, Bojou, zbrush
    • Well verse in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint
    Professional Background
    Customer Care Representative, AT&T, Town, State, October 2011 to Current
    • High level of problem solving in a fast paced atmosphere
    • Assist customers in a clear and concise fashion with a multitude of technology issues
    • Efficiently note and file records in an office environment
    Sales Associate, Blick Art Materials, Town, State, August 2009 to June 2011
    • Creatively and efficiently assist customers with supply needs
    • Assist management with event coordination including planning and staffing
    • Keep inventory organized and updated with a working knowledge of entire stock
    Delivery Driver, Pizza Hut, Town, State, September 2008 to June 2009
    • Hands on in production and delivery of product to customers
    • Team leader position including workflow efficiency and new hire training
    • Involved in every aspect of business, including dishwashing, cleaning, serving, order preparation and delivery
    Education
    • Media Arts and Animation, Generic Arts College, Town, State 2009-2011
    • Generic highschool, Town, State, Graduated 2003

I have it in a fairly standard format, I'm more worried about the content at this point than the formatting. How does it sound?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm worried that I don't have enough of my work history on this thing. I'm afraid to put much more than that, however, because most of my history before Pizza hut was spotty 3-7 month fast food and retail jobs. I could spin most of what I did at those jobs as being relevant, but it would be a lot of repeating and would make the resume two pages, which just doesn't seem right for the amount of work history I actually have.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Hey mate! I'd like to help with some general advice.

First, I don't advise putting Pizza Hut, or anything not specific to the job you're applying for, on your resume. If this is a dyed-in-the-wool professional job, that stuff doesn't matter, and may actually be a ding against you - HR people want to see the goods up front, and padding a resume with McJobs aren't terribly helpful.

Second, can you post the req that you're applying for? I'd like to see what the job calls for, versus what you're resume looks like. If you can get that info up today, maybe we can work a little resume razzle dazzle.

• Options
    Actually the possition is up in the first post. I'm not sure what to do about the employment history as the vast majority of my jobs are pizza hut like jobs. The only reason I included the delivery position is the posting did mention delivery type work, and that is experience.... idk what to do.

No I don't.
  • Options
    TThose are the pistons. Posting from phone so hard to format

No I don't.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My bad - I somehow thought wasn't the req. My bad! I put stuff in italics that I thought might work better - as with all things, it's your resume, and your call. Your cover letter will sell it well, if you want to post it, we can give it a look see my man - I think you got a real shot at this gig. You're smart to put stuff in bullet format, it's an easily digestible format - a lot of folks don't do that. If at all possible, consider a font size that let's you fit the spacing and format onto one page - don't go over if you can help it. As for the actual bullet points, they look comparable to the req you're applying for, but it wouldn't hurt to double check, and make sure that if you put something on your resume, it's relevant to what they posted in the req. If nothing, list your delivery/Pizza hut jobs to show you've maintained steady employment - that actually matters, as unemployed workers have a harder time of getting hired (also: job hoppers).

Anyways, looking at what you've got, here's probably how I'd word it - your mileage will vary, but IMHO, this is how I'd do it.

Name
    Address
    Contact info: Phone/e-mail (make sure this e-mail is a generic one, not ladiesman817@lovesvagina.com)

Objective
    Seeking a position as an Operations Analyst at an [better adjective] company, where my talents and skills will be put to good use to contribute to the company’s overall success.

Education (Relevant Skills and Education up front - not last)
    • Media Arts and Animation, Generic Arts College, Town, State 2009-2011
    • Generic high school, Town, State, Graduated 2003

Skill Sets and Qualifications
    • Background in a variety of skill sets including home renovation, graphic design, and event coordination
    • Ability to have a perfectionist’s eye while staying goal and task oriented
    • Self-starter who is able to see project’s potential problems and fix them
    • Team and task oriented depending on project’s needs
    • Works well in fast paced environment requiring multitasking abilities
    • Possesses high level of hardware/software computer troubleshooting skills with in Windows OS
    • Excels with visual arts programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, 3D Studio Max, Bojou, zbrush (is this required for the job? Generic IT/Apps support may work better, if they are not looking for those quals. Just a thought)
    • Well versed[sic] in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint[sic]

Professional Background

Customer Care Representative, AT&T, Town, State, October 2011 to Current
    • High level of problem solving in a fast paced atmosphere
    • Assist customers in a clear and concise fashion with a multitude of technology issues
    • Efficiently note and file records in an office environment

Sales Associate, Blick Art Materials, Town, State, August 2009 to June 2011
    • Creatively and efficiently assist customers with supply needs
    • Assist management with event coordination including planning and staffing
    • Keep inventory organized and updated with a working knowledge of entire stock

Delivery Driver, Pizza Hut, Town, State, September 2008 to June 2009
    • Hands on in production and delivery of product to customers
    • Team leader position including workflow efficiency and new hire training
    • Involved in every aspect of business, including dish washing, cleaning, serving, order preparation and delivery

3lwap0 on