As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft2] "Zerg can't beat protoss." - Idra

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/PlayhemTV
    Real playing in the NA Playhem daily.

Man, Real makes protoss look like so much fun.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Heyo, Rank 2 in my Plat division, 4 points away from #1. The diamonds are starting to roll in, and I've won 12 of my last 13.

EDIT: Rank 1 woot.

Yo zergs, is this Warp Prism 4-gate build stoppable? Everytime I do it I just feel like a complete baller. This particular replay seemed particularly well executed on my part.
    http://drop.sc/101262
    (Edit: to be fair opponent also did lots of dumb stuff like build spore crawlers (maybe he feared DT's because of double gas no-expo), and taking a third before I expanded)

Trunkers on
    My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/PlayhemTV
    Real playing in the NA Playhem daily.

Man, Real makes protoss look like so much fun.

Yeah, watched his first match of the grand finals for it. Using warp prism to kill off the Z's third with so many sentries. While doing that he went double robo and had 7/8 immortals for the final push.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Trunkers wrote:
    Yo zergs, is this Warp Prism 4-gate build stoppable? Everytime I do it I just feel like a complete baller.
    Obviously not.
    "Zerg can't beat protoss." - Idra

• Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    jaziek wrote:
    Won my first game using an archon toilet today. Fun stuff. Still played terribly overall though... Have a look and tell me stuff about how bad it really was :P http://drop.sc/101236

also, someone posted something on another board I visit today and it really mirrors the way I feel so I thought I'd post it here as well.

https://serioussc.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/beat-your-tilt-the-science-behind-the-losing-streak/

I'm not so sure about this article.

It's interesting, but it deals with the idea of 'rage' in games from a very narrow perspective, at least when compared to my own investigation and analysis of what it is about gaming that makes me angry.

The article is far more focussed on the concept of rage in competitive gaming, and it doesn't bring anything to the table that's outside of what's already understood by performance analysis of typical athletes.

In terms of my own anger at games, it came (and indeed comes) from self esteem issues and the related fear of failure and worries about perception of my own qualities and skills.

I've never really considered myself to be 'good' at anything, so as a result of my victories at Fragsoc (particularly when I first joined), I became very invested in a personal image that games are something that I'm skilled at, which led me to build quite a fragile self image of myself defined by my skill at gaming.

Whenever I lose, it's not only a loss, but it's something that directly contradicts my self image and esteem about my abilities, skills and positive attributes.

At that point, a game becomes far more than simply a game, it becomes something you're so heavily invested in because it begins to define you as a person, and you don't see other positive qualities that can give you a healthier and more diverse self image.

I haven't read the article, but the bottom half of your quote I agree with.

When I was in highschool, I was really good at shotput, especially for someone of my size, everyone else was huge, but I wasn't. Towards the end of my senior year I was starting to win medals and throw farther than ever. Until I started fouling out of every meet I attended. Really upsetting, because I knew I was better than that, and I was so invested in doing well I just got super angry.

Now, when I lose to a protoss, I rage just as hard. In my mind, I am outplaying the hell out of them, harassing, dropping, trading armies, slowing down expansions. Then I get 1a'ed 15-20minutes in after protoss finally decides its fine to attack, and I lose. In my mind, the protoss player is a terrible scrub playing an easy race, but in reality I lost to a terrible scrub playing an easy race.

Keamien on
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote:
    Won my first game using an archon toilet today. Fun stuff. Still played terribly overall though... Have a look and tell me stuff about how bad it really was :P http://drop.sc/101236

also, someone posted something on another board I visit today and it really mirrors the way I feel so I thought I'd post it here as well.

https://serioussc.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/beat-your-tilt-the-science-behind-the-losing-streak/

I'm not so sure about this article.

It's interesting, but it deals with the idea of 'rage' in games from a very narrow perspective, at least when compared to my own investigation and analysis of what it is about gaming that makes me angry.

The article is far more focussed on the concept of rage in competitive gaming, and it doesn't bring anything to the table that's outside of what's already understood by performance analysis of typical athletes.

In terms of my own anger at games, it came (and indeed comes) from self esteem issues and the related fear of failure and worries about perception of my own qualities and skills.

I've never really considered myself to be 'good' at anything, so as a result of my victories at Fragsoc (particularly when I first joined), I became very invested in a personal image that games are something that I'm skilled at, which led me to build quite a fragile self image of myself defined by my skill at gaming.

Whenever I lose, it's not only a loss, but it's something that directly contradicts my self image and esteem about my abilities, skills and positive attributes.

At that point, a game becomes far more than simply a game, it becomes something you're so heavily invested in because it begins to define you as a person, and you don't see other positive qualities that can give you a healthier and more diverse self image.

Yeah, that's a good quote. I've been playing videogames since I was 5 and I'm not used to being bad at them. Street Fighter, Tekken, Halo, Call of Duty... All games I was generally really good at. Always the guy people wanted on their teams.

It's strange now being a gold level player in Starcraft. I tell myself it's because RTS games are so fundamentally different from fighting and FPS games, and I know that is true, but it's still slightly infuriating when I'm trying my hardest to do well in a game and some diamond level guy beats me while off-racing using some weird funday-monday type build like mass orbitals. I'm not used to sucking and I have to fight hard against the rage.

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nice to hear other people with the same perspective.
    I can beat Gradius V, 2 loops without loosing a single life, but damnit if im not stuck in platinum forever.

It just feels like a personal insult every time you lose on the ladder. "Pulling down your pants and pointing and giggling"-insulting

Edit: Ummh, Is Real the same guy that streamed on the Blackcitadel account some months back? Didn't that say SupermanSG as well?

Rofflor on
    76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    Guess who just beat Doa on the korean ladder?

This guy :D

• Options
    Sceptre wrote:

Isn't doa in NA now?

• Options
    Yep, but he apparently still plays on his KOR account.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote:

Nice.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You should have said "ill let you win if you punch wolf for me"

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    wolftrap seemed ok today

i dunno

• Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Should have just started spouting irrelevant nonsense in the guise of knowledge

• Options
    I really liked Wolftrap this last cast.

I'm as surprised as anyone that I enjoyed listening to Wolf talk but maybe Moletrap is just that good.

• Options
    Seguer wrote:
    Should have just started spouting irrelevant nonsense in the guise of knowledge

That's how I roll.

• Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    There are so many words I don't get to use often enough.

Guise is a good one.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I don't often win ZvP's or non-mirrors on Antiga. But when I get two birds with one stone, yeah maybe I'll post the replay.

http://drop.sc/101296

kedinik on
  • Options
    Someone invent an iphone app for watching replays at work...

And then buy me an iphone

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    This is how I feel when I lose on the ladder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0y3bbt13I

It's also the song I will crank up to 11 for my celebratory glass of El Dorado 12yr when I finally make silver.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    TrunkersTrunkers Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Fellow brotosses: advice needed!

http://drop.sc/101301

PvP on Xel Naga
    Recent replay that is somewhat representative of my style, where I lost. Micro was above average (for me), but still could be a lot better.

I fare rather poorly in the main engagement, and this likely has to do with composition I'm sure. I had no zealot meat-shield, and even though I took out his colossi relatively quickly, his immortals wiped everything out. Normally I prefer to be controlling the map and expanding first as the blink player, but here I really didn't get much of that as his first push was occurring as blink finished. A typical ender for me is a Colossus deathball of sorts.

Food for thought: When I see him moving out, is it reasonable to just run to his base and start killing stuff, with the knowledge that I can safely blink out once his troops get there?
    Also: Engagement. He split his army. How do I handle that better? Just engage the army on the right?

Trunkers on
    My MTG Cube Site - -http://riptidelab.com
  • Options
    Trunkers wrote:
    words

Still mad at you for going 2-0 against me in the CSL. How dare you be better than me? So rude.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    hlprmnky wrote:
    This is how I feel when I lose on the ladder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP0y3bbt13I

It's also the song I will crank up to 11 for my celebratory glass of El Dorado 12yr when I finally make silver.

I may or may not have celebrated a league promotion with a sushi dinner once, heh.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Trunkers wrote:
    Fellow brotosses: advice needed!

http://drop.sc/101301

PvP on Xel Naga
    Recent replay that is somewhat representative of my style, where I lost. Micro was above average (for me), but still could be a lot better.

I fare rather poorly in the main engagement, and this likely has to do with composition I'm sure. I had no zealot meat-shield, and even though I took out his colossi relatively quickly, his immortals wiped everything out. Normally I prefer to be controlling the map and expanding first as the blink player, but here I really didn't get much of that as his first push was occurring as blink finished. A typical ender for me is a Colossus deathball of sorts.

Food for thought: When I see him moving out, is it reasonable to just run to his base and start killing stuff, with the knowledge that I can safely blink out once his troops get there?
    Also: Engagement. He split his army. How do I handle that better? Just engage the army on the right?

Without watching I would say that waiting for an opponent to move out so you can blink in would just be a standard blink tactic. Like, isn't the point of getting highly mobile yet fragile units so that you can do damage without taking damage?

This is exactly how mutalisks are(should) be used.

• Options
    Trunkers wrote:
    Heyo, Rank 2 in my Plat division, 4 points away from #1. The diamonds are starting to roll in, and I've won 12 of my last 13.

EDIT: Rank 1 woot.

Yo zergs, is this Warp Prism 4-gate build stoppable? Everytime I do it I just feel like a complete baller. This particular replay seemed particularly well executed on my part.
    http://drop.sc/101262
    (Edit: to be fair opponent also did lots of dumb stuff like build spore crawlers (maybe he feared DT's because of double gas no-expo), and taking a third before I expanded)

Congratulations! As to the 4gate, I can see how using the prism as a proxy pylon on steroids would make it scarier than normal - your opponent probably built the spore crawlers to try and help keep the prism out of his mineral lines. Other than that, though, I don't see how it would be harder to hold than a normal 4gate.
    I don't really know how to hold a 4gate - my usual maneuver is to try and hold my natural with roaches and slings, but it doesn't work all that often.

_
  • Options
    I'll be home in thirty minutes. Hoping some of you will be down for 4s

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    warp prism 4gate is very strong if your opponent didn't read a 4gate at all, but if they did and made some units, its very difficult to get in because your initial attack is later and weaker than a 4gate would be.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Alright people, Princess and I are on and ramped up to do funday monday! We'll be on there waiting to see what other 6 people turn up tonight for the showdown >:D

I also think it might be more fun if we did reverse alphabetical order considering most of our masters players are in the second half of the alphabet

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    dhal is it 1 gas or 2?

edit - also it's only weaker if you only look at unit count. it's a stronger attack because it can, most likely, attack an unfortified position as well as split your natural from your main (meaning some of the enemy units from your own)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Daily stream online. Playing Bastion until people log on!

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    kambing get your ass on here

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    narwhal wrote:
    Alright people, Princess and I are on and ramped up to do funday monday! We'll be on there waiting to see what other 6 people turn up tonight for the showdown >:D

I also think it might be more fun if we did reverse alphabetical order considering most of our masters players are in the second half of the alphabet

If you guys truly struggle to get enough people, PM me! I might accidentally "temporarily lose some files" that won't let me continue working on non-sc2 stuff, and be able to jump on.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Variable wrote:
    dhal is it 1 gas or 2?

edit - also it's only weaker if you only look at unit count. it's a stronger attack because it can, most likely, attack an unfortified position as well as split your natural from your main (meaning some of the enemy units from your own)

its weaker because it doesn't have the advantage of an immediate strong frontal attack. 10-16 lings below the warp prism prevent the attack entirely.

• Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    IdrA just gg'd with 198 supply in a tournament game, which surely has to be a record.

• Options
    IdrA just gg'd with 198 supply in a tournament game, which surely has to be a record.

Was there a warp prism on the field?

_
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That game was over. Idra was far behind from the banshee play, and after clawing his way back, he was about to lose his main, had ling/infestor/ultra against mass pf+ghost/tank, and less saturation and bases than the terran.

He should have kept playing to tire out illusion, but that game was 100% over. Supply counts mean less than nothing in zerg matches. They're actively harmful to understanding the situation in many cases.

In other news, Puma just crushed Illusion.

Damn, thestc crushing Puma in return. Dude is damn good, happy that he's moving on in GSL. Too bad he took out Losira to do so :( GSL is so stacked now, A or S.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    Oh, Idra.

I loved you so much in beta and the early seasons. What happened? :(

In other news, I am now ranked #1 in Silver and on a 10ish game win streak or something.

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    He happened. IdrA's issues are completely in his head. Bad attitude combined with a victim complex about the game. Notice every race he plays always "sucks"? (He was this way with Terran in Brood War).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RedOneRedOne Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    He happened. IdrA's issues are completely in his head. Bad attitude combined with a victim complex about the game. Notice every race he plays always "sucks"? (He was this way with Terran in Brood War).

I'm a little sad that he was once the "Bad Boy of Starcraft" and now he just loses and whines about imba.

1495255-1.png?1331518337
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he's completely lost his edge. I am sure EG has noticed, it's not like he doesn't live a relatively public life as a pro. If we're seeing that the fire is out, then Scoots has to as well.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling