As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Critical Failures
Shamelessly stolen from the last OP(s). Including the fact that it was stolen from an even earlier OP.
Magic-Logo.jpg
Welcome to the CF Magic: the Gathering Thread!

SO M:TG this is what it is, from a reputable source of course.

Magic: The Gathering (colloquially "Magic", "MTG", or "Magic Cards") is a collectible card game created by mathematics professor Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. Magic is the first example of the modern collectible card game genre and still thrives today, with an estimated six million players in over seventy countries. Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or third-party programs.

Each game represents a battle between powerful wizards who use the magical spells, items, and fantastic creatures depicted on individual Magic cards to defeat their opponents. Although the original concept of the game drew heavily from the motifs of traditional fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, the gameplay of Magic bears little resemblance to pencil-and-paper adventure games, while having substantially more cards and more complex rules than many other card games. (Wikipedia)

That's Magic like most of us you are going to dump a good chunk of cash and time into this so get comfortable 8-)

A little run down on some FAQ:
Q: So I bought some of these here Magical Cards. They've got funny symbols on them and numbers and are different colors. Help!

A: Magic is a pretty complex game, but the basics are easy to get the hang of. Magic cards generally come in one of five colors that each specialize in different things. White, Blue, Black, Red, and finally Green. By laying down lands of appropriate colors you can add mana to your mana pool and 'cast' these cards into play, with the goal of driving your opponent's life total down from 20 to 0! For a more detailed explanation, see the resources at the end of the post.

Q: I keep hearing about 'Type 2' and 'Type 1.5' and 'Standard' and all sorts of crazy stuff. What the hell are those?

A: In sanctioned Magic (that's tourney play), there are what are called 'formats', that may have different rules and different legal card pools. Standard and Extended are the most common 'Constructed' (played using pre-built 60 card decks with 15 card sideboards) formats. Limited is a different animal altogether.

You can find a list of formats HERE.

Q: Okay, that makes sense. I think I get it. You mentioned Limited... what's that?

A: Limited formats are the other side of the Tournament Magic coin. When playing limited Magic, you usually have a restricted pool of cards, usually from freshly opened product, that you must build a 40 card deck from. Standard Magical rules apply otherwise. The two most common Limited formats are Sealed Deck and Draft.

Q: What do you do when you play Sealed Deck or Draft, then?

A: Sealed Deck is very simple: you take a Tournament Pack and two boosters (sanctioned formats tend to use the newest block, for us that's the newly released Shards of Alara), rip 'em open and build your deck. Draft works a little differently; everyone has three packs. Everyone opens one, takes a card they like, and passes it to the next person. When all the cards are 'drafted', you build 40 card decks and play. In both cases, basic lands are provided by the tournament organizer.

Here's some awesome places to visit if you're bored at work and wanna work on your game:

Magicthegathering.com - This is the Magic mothership! You can find all sorts of goodies here, including article series that cover the many facets of magic from both a player and designer perspective. I'm pretty partial to Making Magic, Building on a Budget, and Limited Information!

Gatherer, the Magic Card Database - This is Wizards' official database. You search for cards using some different parameters (color, cost, artist, to name a few)

Starcity Games - This is probably the next biggest Magic site next to the mothership; it has its own database alongside its own daily columns. As an added bonus, Starcity is a very reputable Magic retailer, and is a good place to look if you want a price reference for certain cards.

The Magic Academy - This is a series at the magic web site that was written purely as a tool for new players to get themselves familiar with the game. While it doesn't talk about the BASIC BASICS, it does explain to beginner players the philosophies behind certain cards, when to play them, when to attack, how to block correctly, and other helpful topics.

Essentialmagic.com - This is another very helpful magic site that allows you to construct decks and post them online for critique. It also has a comprehensive list of formats and what sets are legal in each of them.

Five Rules for Avoiding Manascrew - This is an article I think is indispensable for any player as it teaches how to devise a solid mana base for any deck in a few easy steps.

Deckbuilding 101: Five Tips for Better Deckbuilding - This is another article I consider to be a must-read for any Magic player. It doesn't really discuss specific strategy, but certain fundamentals that every Magic player should absorb right into his bone marrow. Yes it is that important.

The Magic Rules page - This is where you can find the comprehensive rules alongside a list of every keyword in magic.

MTGSalvation - This is another great website dedicated to Magic. Their forums are extremely helpful in terms of pretty much anything Magic related (trading, deckbuilding, spoiling cards, news, etc.).

WOTC's Official Dark Ascension Image Gallery
MTGSalvation's Avacyn Restored Spoiler

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Forar on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Official Dark Ascension previews are here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/darkascension/cig
    Unofficial Dark Ascension previews are here: http://mtgsalvation.com/dark-ascension-spoiler.html

And in case you didn't figure it out already, graveyard matters.
    3zfb3i9bkw_en.jpg

cvfb36dytp_en.jpg

ykcv734set_en.jpg

zcph3eq5x7_en.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hmm. I wonder if a black/green deck with some wacky combination of Parallel Lives, Birthing Pod, Gutter Grime, Strangleroot Geist, and Gravecrawler would work.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Not as long as Wolf Ramp is being played.

And I thought the correct term was Planeswalker. No, seriously.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    And I thought the correct term was Planeswalker. No, seriously.

They've shied away from using that term to refer to players now that "planeswalker" is an actual card type.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    OK, so Ravenous Demon//Archdemon of Greed is straight up the best implementation of DFC tech yet. My inner Melvin is mightily pleased. Vorthos too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I like the werewolf from a design perspective. "You want to flip me/us back? Gonna cost you..."

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Thank you @Forar.

I am NOT liking the design concept of "5 life or less" . That's a dangerous place to be in this format, so these "comeback cards" better pack some punch.

Thematically, I love it. My friend compared it to X-Factor from Marvel vs Capcom 3, and I think that's pretty accurate.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Elbasunu wrote:
    I am NOT liking the design concept of "5 life or less" . That's a dangerous place to be in this format

That's kind of the point?

Although if I can climb up to 30+ life using Chalice of Life*, I'd be BEGGING for an opponent to try some Fatal Hour shenanigans.

*FINALLY! A card template that refers to "starting life total" so I don't have to scale it for my local EDH and/or Archenemy games. I hope this is a recurring thing.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote:
    I am NOT liking the design concept of "5 life or less" . That's a dangerous place to be in this format

Although if I can climb up to 30+ life using Chalice of Life*, I'd be BEGGING for an opponent to try some Fatal Hour shenanigans.

*FINALLY! A card template that refers to "starting life total" so I don't have to scale it for my local EDH and/or Archenemy games. I hope this is a recurring thing.

I guess I'm just worried about the common level of Brimstone Volley in combination with this theme. Like I said, though, I love the flavor, and if I see more "woah come from behind" action I'm sure I'll change my opinion.

Honestly, what I've seen so far has got me pretty excited.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I kind of like the Fateful Hour concept myself, and I am looking at making a Form of the Dragon deck to abuse the mechanic properly. :rotate:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I only have a small pool of players to test out my decks, but the new blue illusion deck I put together yesterday has gone 7-1 with no mulligans and most wins by turn 6 or 7. I don't have it with me so I don't have the specifics, but it looks like:
    x23 islands (I think, but I'll need to recount)

x4 Phantasmal Image

x4 Lord of The Unreal

x4 Phantasmal Bear

x4 Phantasmal Dragon

x4 Vapor Snag

x4 Psychic Barrier

x4 Cancel

x4 Claustrophobia

x4 Ponder

x2 Dissipation Field

Thus far, it has been banned from regular play in my group. It's Type 2 and has gone against both Type 2 and non-Type 2 decks and lost one game, but no matches.

JKKaAGp.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Definitely liking what I've seen of Dark Ascension so far.

Elbasunu wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote:

I guess I'm just worried about the common level of Brimstone Volley in combination with this theme. Like I said, though, I love the flavor, and if I see more "woah come from behind" action I'm sure I'll change my opinion.

Honestly, what I've seen so far has got me pretty excited.

Terrendos mentioned Witchbane Orb as a possible protection against Brimstone Volley.

I'm still skeptical, because Ancient Grudge is also floating around. If your opponent is playing Wolf Run with Inkmoth Nexus, or just Wolf Runs a Titan, you'll die without ever seeing your Fateful Hour trigger.

Phyrexian Unlife is interesting alongside Fateful Hour, and is worth keeping an eye on.

I still think it depends a lot on what FH cards we see, and what enablers they give us.

Haha. I never noticed the hexproof part on Witchbane Orb.

/limitedvision

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I have Gutter Grime and I now desperately want a Gravecrawler.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Phyrexian Mana + Fateful Hour = synergy like whoa.

And I can't wait to implement some undying shit into my Pod deck.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    Calling it now: Gravecrawler is going to be one of the stand out rares of this set.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    In what existing deck does it fit though? It can't block so it'll just get crushed by various aggro decks. Unless there's some kind of free sac outlet with a good effect. Plus, it still needs other zombies to function well. It's comparable to Bloodghast, but at least that had a lord that gave it +2/+1 and flying.

V0Gug2h.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Gravecrawler could spell the return of Birthing Pod, oddly enough. Also Strangleroot Geist. Getting a good aggressive 2drop for Pod is pretty slick, and Gravecrawler can be cast from the bin once you sac your Strangleroot Geist to get a Skaab Ruinator on the field.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    In what existing deck does it fit though? It can't block so it'll just get crushed by various aggro decks. Unless there's some kind of free sac outlet with a good effect. Plus, it still needs other zombies to function well. It's comparable to Bloodghast, but at least that had a lord that gave it +2/+1 and flying.

It doesn't fit into existing decks. It's going to trigger a bunch of new Aggro Black strategies. This plus Diregraf Ghoul means that Black now has two exceptional one-drops. And Black can swing with abandon with Gravecrawler, because it doesn't matter if it dies.

I've spent most of the day thinking about different ways to use it. I want a full set of it right now.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm sad that neither ichorid nor bloodghast are zombies.

WuShock wrote:
    Chen wrote:

It doesn't fit into existing decks. It's going to trigger a bunch of new Aggro Black strategies. This plus Diregraf Ghoul means that Black now has two exceptional one-drops. And Black can swing with abandon with Gravecrawler, because it doesn't matter if it dies.

I've spent most of the day thinking about different ways to use it. I want a full set of it right now.

If there's a zombie with Undying you can even clear the board with BSZ and rebuy your army for cheap.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    oh boy soul seizer looks cool for limited

also i love tokens and some of those new white cards are great

New cards up, not on the image gallery yet.
    0qw5pqa6lc_en.jpg
    tznq61ho0l_en.jpg

edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:

Zendikar-era vampire decks didn't need Nocturnus. I played a deck similar to the vampires deck listed here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/worlds10/decks/top8

No Nocturnus. It would grind out card advantage through Gatekeeper and Bloodghast. The deck was so removal-heavy that often by the end of the game you were grinding your opponent down by attacking for 2 or 4 with just one or two vampires in play, and they'd have nothing to block with.

However, the environment was different. Decks were a lot less creature-heavy, so Gatekeeper hurt a lot more. Today, you're facing Mirran Crusaders and Phantasmal Images copying Lord of the Unreal and token generators everywhere. There are too many things that will block a Gravecrawler and laugh.

The Gravecrawler needs something more to be good, and I'm not sure what that something is. Maybe a lord? Maybe it just needs to hold a Sword. He's still promising, though.

Feral on

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    The Gravecrawler needs something more to be good, and I'm not sure what that something is. Maybe a lord? Maybe it just needs to hold a Sword. He's still promising, though.

See, that's what I was thinking for my Undead Alchemist deck. Toss some Trepanation Blades out on the battlefield, and just keep letting Gravecrawler pick one up and swing.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I love Increasing Devotion. I'm thinking I might rebuild a G/W Tokens deck. Or I might just go Mono White Tokens.

oh h*ck
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    more tokens!

wheres that awwyeah meme

• JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    Would Curse of Death's Hold create truly undying Undying creatures? The -1/-1 effect of the card would cancel the +1/+1 counter but what would happen on subsequent deaths?

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    JJ wrote:
    Would Curse of Death's Hold create truly undying Undying creatures? The -1/-1 effect of the card would cancel the +1/+1 counter but what would happen on subsequent deaths?

No, the -1/-1 effect from Curse of Death's Hold is a constant effect. It does not cancel the +1/+1 counter.

To make it even more confusing, if an Undying creature with it's +1/+1 counter on is killed by an infect creature, the undying one dies, goes to the graveyard, and it's token will not cancelled out by the infect counters. It will stay dead.

oh h*ck
    Feral wrote:
    New cards up, not on the image gallery yet.

As a quick FYI, the image gallery is always kept a day behind*. Today's updates are yesterday's previews (from around the net).

*Until they reveal the whole set, obviously. They started previews a week earlier than I expected, but usually this happens on the Wednesday before the pre-re.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Geez, the DA art revealed so far is incredible.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote:
    Geez, the DA art revealed so far is incredible.

Yeah, I am highly satisfied so far.

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    So anyone else doing any modern GPTs? I'm doing one on the 21st for lincoln...hopefully

edited January 2012
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

Flying, double strike, lifelink

Whenever you gain life, draw a card

3/5

(Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)

I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:

It'll fit nicely in my Zombie EDH deck that has like 18 fucking Lords of one form or another in it. :-D

edited January 2012
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)
    3/5

Begs for Unburial Rites. Good fit for Solar Flare.

Feral on

Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)
    3/5

Unfortunately has a giant, Dismember-shaped target aimed at it for the next eight or nine months (unless DM gets hammered, which seems unlikely but possible), but we can't have everything.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Rosewater spoiled Jar of Eyeballs on twitter today.

Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)
    3/5

Unfortunately has a giant, Dismember-shaped target aimed at it for the next eight or nine months (unless DM gets hammered, which seems unlikely but possible), but we can't have everything.

Yeah. I probably wouldn't play it without Probing first.