Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

24567100

Posts

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Rosewater spoiled Jar of Eyeballs on twitter today.

    Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

    Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

    I...I think I like this card. Not sure yet.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    I presume the X is related to the number of eyeball counters you remove?
    Could be good with all the everliving dudes and a sacrifice outlet.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    I like the flexibility. Assuming mana isn't a problem (never a safe assumption, I know) you could use it after any creature dies as a 3-mana scry-2 at instant speed, or you could save it up as a safety valve, hold 3 mana until the opponent's end step, then uncork it when you need gas.

    Wow. Token decks will have a field day with this. DoJ/Blasphemous Act/Life's Finale? Okay, just let me draw 10 cards on your end step ....

    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote:
    I like the flexibility. Assuming mana isn't a problem (never a safe assumption, I know) you could use it after any creature dies as a 3-mana scry-2 at instant speed, or you could save it up as a safety valve, hold 3 mana until the opponent's end step, then uncork it when you need gas.

    Wow. Token decks will have a field day with this. DoJ/Blasphemous Act/Life's Finale? Okay, just let me draw 10 cards on your end step ....

    You only ever get to draw one card per activation.

  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I really like Undying as an alternate to Persist.

    I might just have to build an EDH deck that abuses both mechanics (and some +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter cards to really mess with things and combat math), though with Undying in Red and Green (so far), and Persist in every colour to a degree, I'm not sure I'd try to include all of them.

    Also, ooooh, a creature DFC that changes into an Enchantment? Neat.

    Forar on
    sigone.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Rosewater spoiled Jar of Eyeballs on twitter today.

    Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

    Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

    I...I think I like this card. Not sure yet.

    Decent in Commander.

    Bad in any competitive format.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote:
    You only ever get to draw one card per activation.

    Oh ... *checks text again* ... oops. Nevermind.

    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Rosewater spoiled Jar of Eyeballs on twitter today.

    Short version: 3-mana rare, gets 2 "eyeball counters" whenever a creature you control dies. 3, tap, remove all eye counters: look at top X cards and put one in your hand (rest on bottom).

    Basically a morbid version of Shrine of Piercing Vision, although note that it doesn't sacrifice to give you a peek.

    I...I think I like this card. Not sure yet.

    Decent in Commander.

    Bad in any competitive format.

    Which doesn't really have anything to do with whether I like it or not. ;-)

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

    Flying, double strike, lifelink

    Whenever you gain life, draw a card

    3/5

    (Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)


    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

    So, what happens if this guy blocks/is blocked by a Consecrated Sphinx? Draw 3 or draw 6, and does the Sphinx's controller get to draw 6 or 12 cards?

    I'm gonna bite you!
    I'm gonna bite you! I'm gonna bite you with your own fuckin teeth!
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    ph blake wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

    Flying, double strike, lifelink

    Whenever you gain life, draw a card

    3/5

    (Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)


    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

    So, what happens if this guy blocks/is blocked by a Consecrated Sphinx? Draw 3 or draw 6, and does the Sphinx's controller get to draw 6 or 12 cards?

    2 for you, 4 for them.

    Elbasunu on
    Apyss-sig.png
    FYI: Image above links to my webcomic, and is (mostly) SFW. Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote:
    ph blake wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    Drosgol Reaver 5UW
    Spirit (M)

    Flying, double strike, lifelink

    Whenever you gain life, draw a card

    3/5

    (Not posting card image to save them some bandwith issues. MTG.com can handle it.)


    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

    So, what happens if this guy blocks/is blocked by a Consecrated Sphinx? Draw 3 or draw 6, and does the Sphinx's controller get to draw 6 or 12 cards?

    2 for you, 4 for them.

    Derp, of course his ability only triggers once no matter how much life you gain. Wow, not sure why I thought otherwise, that would be broken as all hell.

    I'm gonna bite you!
    I'm gonna bite you! I'm gonna bite you with your own fuckin teeth!
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    It'd sure make those 1 mana "gain 4 life" style cards a lot more powerful, that's for sure.

    sigone.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

    You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    New Sorin.
    Spoiler:

    Turkson on
    "You. Poet. Be sure to write this down."
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I love him.

    Secrets of the Dead is really good, too.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    It is. Burning Vengeance might become a thing now.

    Looks like I'm off to the store tomorrow to grab two more Isolated Chapels.

    "You. Poet. Be sure to write this down."
  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Wednesday articles are up, including the new Sorin: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/177

    I'm not sure what to think about that ultimate yet.

    Edit: Crap. I could have sworn those weren't there, Turkson. Today was apparently my herp derp day.

    WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh yay. Another mythic dragon. I'll try and keep my enthusiasm to a dull roar.
    Spoiler:

    Turkson on
    "You. Poet. Be sure to write this down."
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    WuShock wrote:
    Wednesday articles are up, including the new Sorin: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/stf/177

    I'm not sure what to think about that ultimate yet.

    A 6 point ultimate on a 3 point planeswalker that makes chump blockers is really easy to achieve. You're probably using his ultimate on turn 7. This means you're stealing 6-drops - titans, sphinxes, wurmcoils. Or else your opponent sees him and doesn't play their 6-drops, which is fine too.

    It's likely to be problematic against Wolf Run ramp, because a good Wolf Run ramp deck is online before turn 7. They'll attack Markov (trampling through one of his vampire tokens) before you get to use him.

    Even that's not horrible, because anything that buys you time against Wolf Run is good. And if you can keep him alive with a well-timed removal spell, all the better.

    If you're playing against a token deck that doesn't have anything good to steal, or an illusions/Geist deck where everything has hexproof, just give yourself Orcish Oriflammes emblems instead.
    Turkson wrote:
    Oh yay. Another mythic dragon. I'll try and keep my enthusiasm to a dull roar.
    Spoiler:

    Kaalia of the Vast says "hiiiiiiiii..."

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Turkson wrote:
    Oh yay. Another mythic dragon. I'll try and keep my enthusiasm to a dull roar.
    Spoiler:

    Kaalia of the Vast says "hiiiiiiiii..."

    If I get one, which is most likely inevitable, I will stick it in my Kaalia Commander deck.

    Along with all the other mythic dragons I own.

    "You. Poet. Be sure to write this down."
  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorin beats the stuffing out of JTMS in a head to head fight.
    Not only that, he then enslaves him!

    I think I'm in love with that ultimate~

    ...What's that? Gideon? +1 +1 +1 -6 thank you for playing, please come again.

    Lucedes on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The 2BW cost is a bitch though, seems almost as limiting as M12 Garruk's 2GGG (In standard at least, and in modern/legacy you're probably playig Elspeth over this guy anyways). Not to mention W/B already has two bitching 4 drops in Hero of Bladehold and Bloodline Keeper (I swear this guy is good outside of limited).

    I'm gonna bite you!
    I'm gonna bite you! I'm gonna bite you with your own fuckin teeth!
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Really digging the new Sorin.

    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2359-4305
    3DS Friend Name: BiggsWedge
    Pokemon Y In-game name: Biggs, Shiny ID: 475
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chen wrote:
    In what existing deck does it fit though? It can't block so it'll just get crushed by various aggro decks. Unless there's some kind of free sac outlet with a good effect. Plus, it still needs other zombies to function well. It's comparable to Bloodghast, but at least that had a lord that gave it +2/+1 and flying.
    grimgrin + gravecrawler = B: put +1/+1 counter on grimgrin.
    gravecrawler + demonmail hailberuk = equip: B
    gravecrawler + grimgrin/demonmail + gutter grime = B: place ooze token and one of the above


    and dangit I want dat sorin

    PikaPuff on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    even moooore tokens!

    my b/w deck will greet him happily

  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Totally digging Sorin, I've wanted a black/white planeswalker for a long time, second only to my desire for a blue/red planeswalker.

    Pretty pleased that, despite my abysmal luck in Innistrad pulls, I did at least get a playset of the WB dual lands. They're currently in my Near Death Experience deck, but if there's a decent BW deck and I get lucky enough to pull a few Sorins, I'll definitely be taking them out.

    Sig1.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    R/U planeswalker must be Niv-Mizzet. Seriously; return to Ravnica now that the barrier is down and introduce another Dragon-Walker, one as epic as Nicol Bolas.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Why do you have to remind me? Now I'll be disappointed if it's anyone other than Niv-Mizzet.

    Seriously though, R/W got Ajani Vengeant, Garruk Relentless technically is B/G, now Sorin, and all the allied colours have a PW except like G/W. Time for Izzet to rule the multiverse, bitches!

    Re: Sorin. Super Villians is a go?
    Re: dragon. Shivan Dragon is sadface. My Mayael EDH is going to love it though.

    Also, Falkenrath Aristocrat is awesome. Vampire-zombie alliance?

    Chen on
    l8kt.png
  • B.C.B.C. Registered User regular
    All money points to the U/R walker being Dack Fayden.

    Also.

    Turn 3, Timely Reinforcements.
    turn 4: Sorin, Anthem, swing for 6

    feels gooooood

    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I am actively upset that I can't put this in my Vish Kaal EDH deck, which is BASED around lifelink.

    You'll stop crying after you see the new Sorin Markov. :D

    My first reaction to seeing that this morning: "Holy crap, they printed my Invitational card!"

    I don't usually pre-order singles, but DAYUM. The fact that he's gonna start at $50 a pop will curb that impulse, I'm sure.

  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    I was already thinking about a W/B with Thraben Doomsayer making tokens to feed to Archdemon of Greed. The new Sorin suggests that you could play a W/B version of White Weenie where your win conditions are 1. normal WW, 2. Sorin-buffed weenies, 3. Archdemon of Greed. Hmm.

    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • WuShockWuShock Left Defenseman On your blue lineRegistered User regular
    And, as an aside for the other novices, I was wondering last night, "Why did they even bother killing the monsters? You're just Mind Controlling them anyway," but you're not. Killing them takes off any counters the creatures have and resets the loyalty counters on the Planeswalkers, so you can't sit around waiting for someone to pull off an ultimate with their PW, then swoop in, steal them, and do it yourself.

    Hexproof is going to be important when planning against Sorin decks.

    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

    PAX Prime '11, '12, '13, PAX East '14- Cookie Brigadier
    PAX Prime 2013 Omeganaut
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Also, Mind Control isn't generally a white/black ability (Enslave and Evangelize notwithstanding). But killing and reanimating is.

  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So Sorin is basically
    Spoiler:
    at this point.

    Chen on
    l8kt.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    So Sorin is basically
    Spoiler:
    at this point.

    I think he's supposed to be closer to Alucard, actually.

    Arthas is not really a good comparison at all...unless I missed a big chunk of story somewhere.

    Apyss-sig.png
    FYI: Image above links to my webcomic, and is (mostly) SFW. Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Well, I mean Sorin's ultimate is similar to the Death Knight's Animate Dead in WC3, but yeah, Alucard fits his personality better. Still weird that he can summon vampires, considering that most vampires in Innistrad believe he betrayed his race. I guess the designers needed something to protect him, otherwise it'd have been another Sarkhan Vol.

    Chen on
    l8kt.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Well, I mean Sorin's ultimate is similar to the Death Knight's Animate Dead in WC3, but yeah, Alucard fits his personality better. Still weird that he can summon vampires, considering that most vampires in Innistrad believe he betrayed his race. I guess the designers needed something to protect him, otherwise it'd have been another Sarkhan Vol.

    To be fair, Koth can't protect himself and he did okay for a while.

  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    Koth can untap a mountain and cast Lightning Bolt. :P

    l8kt.png
Sign In or Register to comment.