As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Diorinix wrote: »
    The only exceptions are creatures with "phasing", but that's a fringe case and really only relevant in commander and MAAAYBE legacy.

Creatures that phase out are not officially exiled (any more). They're technically still on the battlefield... they just don't exist in the same reality as the rest of it.

Wait, what? That's crazy.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Darian wrote: »
    The only exceptions are creatures with "phasing", but that's a fringe case and really only relevant in commander and MAAAYBE legacy.

Creatures that phase out are not officially exiled (any more). They're technically still on the battlefield... they just don't exist in the same reality as the rest of it.

Are they allowed to attack players of a completely different game? That'd make for amazing tournaments, announcers calling it wrestling style. "Greg is about to full swing for the win, but oh no here comes Stonehorn Dignitary from out of no where with the block!"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Uh, they were never exiled; they had a zone all to themselves called, imaginatively enough, the "phased out" zone. This was ditched in favour of phased out objects not changing zones at all (coincidentally removing a bunch of excess verbiage detailing a bunch of exceptions to the normal zone change procedure) it rather becoming essentially immune to everything. That is, if a rule or effect wants to know something or do something it can't find or know about phased out objects unless it specifically refers to phased out things.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's the only way phasing even pretends to make sense mechanically. Over the years it has gone through a ton of revisions; at one point they triggered ETB effects but not "leaves play" effects (or possibly the reverse, I forget), and several other permutations. They changed zones but took their auras (but not equipment, IIRC?) with them, and generally retained all knowledge of their un-phased existence. One of the main reasons we will never see phasing again is because even the most streamlined reminder text would still overflow the text box.

The rules of Magic are quite clear that any object that changes zones is treated as a brand new object -- even if, as with "flicker" effects, they're immediately returned to their original zone. Up until a certain point, phasing ignored this and it was a nuisance.

So now the game ignores phasing. Or rather, ignores phased-out objects. They're still "there," but you can't touch 'em or do anything with them.

This might a little easier to understand if you're a comic book fan, as that's basically how Shadowcat operates* when intangible/phased: she can't interact with you, and you can't interact with her, but she's still there. The only real difference is that she can turn it on and off at will, while phased objects in Magic have to wait until they can return to the timestream.

*Ignoring all of the stupid real-world physics and breathing questions, obviously.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    So now the game ignores phasing.

It's really better for everybody if we all just ignore phasing. :P

You know, I loved Mirage when it came out. I thought it was really flavorful and well-balanced.

Except for phasing, which was poop. It was confusing and annoying and it just slowed down the game. People tried phasing decks for about a week and then shelved them after realizing that it was just hopeless. The only phasing card that anybody ever seriously played was Shimmer, which was basically a troll card.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I recall Rainbow Efreet enjoyed some popularity and I remember I played Mist Dragon in my casual control deck when Morpling still demanded a high price. Phasing is less confusing than Banding at least. Now that's a troll ability. To this day I still don't understand it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    So now the game ignores phasing.

It's really better for everybody if we all just ignore phasing. :P

You know, I loved Mirage when it came out. I thought it was really flavorful and well-balanced.

Except for phasing, which was poop. It was confusing and annoying and it just slowed down the game. People tried phasing decks for about a week and then shelved them after realizing that it was just hopeless. The only phasing card that anybody ever seriously played was Shimmer, which was basically a troll card.

People ran the Blue charm in StifleNaught sometimes.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    nnanjinnanji Registered User regular
    Frenetic Efreet also saw some play in counter burn style decks. It basically read "Opponent's removal spells fizzle 50% of the time." It was also an evasive 2/1 flyer for 3 mana, which was fairly aggressively costed for the time.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have almost finished my EDH deck that revolves around banding, just a few more cards to go.

You know you're doing it right when they're blowing their removal to kill this guy.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=2838&type=card

This is the commander.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=2687&type=card

Kelor on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I have almost finished my EDH deck that revolves around banding, just a few more cards to go.

You know you're doing it right when they're blowing their removal to kill this guy.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=2838&type=card

This is the commander.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=2687&type=card

Bastard deck? Bastard deck.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    you can grief people across the table with that general.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It is the mostest fun.

Turns out Emeria is plagued with lepers.
    I'm so sorry.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Yeah, banding isn't that hard as long as you remember that it's really two different abilities.

1) Offensive banding: no more than one creature without banding and any number of creatures with banding may attack as one unit. Anything that can block one of these creatures blocks the whole team, regardless of other evasion. The attacking player assigns combat damage to the band, not the defending player (not sure how the new conga line works with this, but I don't think it matters).

2) Defensive banding: gang-blocking with at least one creature with banding allows the defending player to assign combat damage to that team instead of the attacking player (again, conga line may be irrelevant).

We will not speak about "bands with other". :P

• Options

bands with other: It amuses me that they got a guy who hates it to write up the rules explanation for it.

• Options
    edited May 2012

bands with other: It amuses me that they got a guy who hates it to write up the rules explanation for it.

That fact that he would later become the Rules Manager for a time makes it even better. I love me some Mark Gottlieb.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular

Which is why I said it was the exception for the standard exile rules - it operates on a completely different rule structure, but for the most part you can forget about the ability since the only cards with it are legacy/commander/vintage legal, and really only commander will have a chance at seeing them played (unless you love to grief and play it in a 60-card casual deck...).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    A friend texted me that he bought a box and did a draft, netted 3 Temporal Mastery, 2 Sigarda, 2 Avacyn, 1 Tibalt, 1 Gisela, 2 Cavern of Souls.

SO MUCH HATE.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. That's a lot of money.

• Options
    He sold the 3x Temporal Mastery on the spot, got all his money back.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hate him. Don't even know him, never will, but I loathe him with seething passion.*

... which is to say that most of my boxes (back when I bought 'em) sucked ass.

*I can't back that up.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    A friend texted me that he bought a box and did a draft, netted 3 Temporal Mastery, 2 Sigarda, 2 Avacyn, 1 Tibalt, 1 Gisela, 2 Cavern of Souls.

SO MUCH HATE.

What, no Bruna? 8->

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Hahahahaha, the final boss of the PC game is absolutely ridiculous. Like why-am-I-even-trying ridiculous.

Turn 1: Island, Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire. Tap all 3 to play tinker. Sacrifice one of the Mox Sapphires to bring out Darksteel Colossus.

WELL, GOOD GAME BUDDY.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was just reading about that today.

• Options
    so. 10 trample. blocked by 1/1 infect. I assign 1 to the blocker, 9 to the player. blocker assigns 1 to the 10/10 trample. what happens?
    9 damage to player, correct?

blocker insisted that infect happens, making it a 9/9, thus doing 1 to the blocker and 8 to the player

insanity

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Nope, you're right, damage is simultaneous.

Unless it's something like Phyrexian Crusader he takes 9, the 1/1 dies and your guy becomes a 9/X dude.

• Options
    I dunno it's weird. He's a much better tactical player than I am. Meaning if we played the exact same deck and drew the exact same cards, he'd do better plays and win. But I'm pretty good with the rulings. He constantly gets little things about rulings wrong, so it's surprising to me. Oh well, thanks for the clarification.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, the final boss of the PC game is absolutely ridiculous. Like why-am-I-even-trying ridiculous.

Turn 1: Island, Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire. Tap all 3 to play tinker. Sacrifice one of the Mox Sapphires to bring out Darksteel Colossus.

WELL, GOOD GAME BUDDY.

Duels 2012? I don't remember seeing any Mox...

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

WELL, GOOD GAME BUDDY.

Duels 2012? I don't remember seeing any Mox...

It's in Karn's deck.

Luckily the first time I played against Karn, he played Show & Tell on turn one via that method...and I had Ulamog in my hand. Swing turn two, annihilator 4 pretty much ended him

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I beat Rich Hoaen last night in a cube draft, so that was cool!

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, Karn has some power in his deck.

He's beatable, you just need some luck.

I don't remember which deck I beat him with. Maybe Jace so I could Control Magic his Colossus.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I love to troll my judge friend with questions about banding.

He was explaining soulbond and I said, "So, that's just like banding, right?"

• Options
    Soulbond -- as long as they're paired, they each have banding.

"So what happens when I declare attackers, and then one of them dies and they lose banding?"

Judges everywhere commit suicide.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    So I dunno if any of you are this degenerate, but pinnacle sports has odds on the Pro Tour out. I like Hellrider over, Avacyn under, and HoF in T8 - yes parlayed.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Soulbond -- as long as they're paired, they each have banding.

"So what happens when I declare attackers, and then one of them dies and they lose banding?"

Judges everywhere commit suicide.

Do they have true banding, or just "bands with other member of my soulband"?

edit: Yep, soulband sounds better there.

Darian on
  • Options
    Soulband.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    "Bands with other paired creatures".

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    "Bands with other paired creatures".

yessssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    I feel like there should be a good deck utilizing Devout Chaplain + Liquimetal Coating for great justice, but I can't figure out what the rest of the deck looks like.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    So I dunno if any of you are this degenerate, but pinnacle sports has odds on the Pro Tour out. I like Hellrider over, Avacyn under, and HoF in T8 - yes parlayed.

Do they normally take bets on PT events?

And that Avacyn bet is an easy under. Not even Travis Woo would try to brew with that. And it's interesting to see the odds on various pros, and it's especially amusing that Brad Nelson is 14:1 that he makes top 8. No way in hell he top 8s a PT.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Do they normally take bets on PT events?

And that Avacyn bet is an easy under. Not even Travis Woo would try to brew with that. And it's interesting to see the odds on various pros, and it's especially amusing that Brad Nelson is 14:1 that he makes top 8. No way in hell he top 8s a PT.

You could run ONE avacyn in a Frites-style deck but I doubt you'd want it.

Walkerdog on MTGO