As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Want to be an Enforcer for East? Read on!

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
As was announced by the Enforcer leader on twitter... recruitment is open!
Recruiting for new PAX East Enforcers is open! Interested? Complete this app http://bit.ly/xSIoyu & email to klindsay@penny-arcade.com

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    doo eet

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    It has been done.
    Here is hoping that my training in the crucible of the National Air and Space Museum Gift Shop (during tourist season) serves me well.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    I did this a few years ago. It was awesome. The end.

(I am saying that all good people should want to do this)

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I want to do this!

However, I think this is a good time to make a very good point. If this is your first, or even second year (like me), attending PAX East, I encourage you NOT to become an enforcer. This is because as any enforcer will tell you, your time is spent more working on the floor than actually seeing anything. You need the first one or two years to be able to enjoy the amazingness that is Penny Arcade Expo.

Last year, I went all over PAX and had an amazing time, but I didn't see close to half of the things I wanted to see. This year, I plan on seeing the other half of things, checking out the freeplays more, seeing more panels, and seeing less of the Expo floor. Then for PAX East 2013 (as long as the Earth doesn't decide to turn itself inside out like the Mayans "predicted" it will :P), I will apply for the one red shirt that won't cause me to be killed by Klingons.

Don't worry, every year they usually need more Enforcers, so the opportunity will be there later.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I want to do this!

However, I think this is a good time to make a very good point. If this is your first, or even second year (like me), attending PAX East, I encourage you NOT to become an enforcer. This is because as any enforcer will tell you, your time is spent more working on the floor than actually seeing anything. You need the first one or two years to be able to enjoy the amazingness that is Penny Arcade Expo.

Last year, I went all over PAX and had an amazing time, but I didn't see close to half of the things I wanted to see. This year, I plan on seeing the other half of things, checking out the freeplays more, seeing more panels, and seeing less of the Expo floor. Then for PAX East 2013 (as long as the Earth doesn't decide to turn itself inside out like the Mayans "predicted" it will :P), I will apply for the one red shirt that won't cause me to be killed by Klingons.

Don't worry, every year they usually need more Enforcers, so the opportunity will be there later.

Pssh. I jumped in with both feet and I couldn't be happier. Different strokes!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    I want to do this!

Mayans also predicted their civilization to last a tad longer, just saying ;)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I solute you Enforcers and soon to be enforcers. Alas I have work mode and not working mode and I when I flip the switch it usually lasts till I go home. So good hunting? Or umm think of some noble inspiring phrase and then imagine I said it.

• CharlieTVSCharlieTVS Registered User new member
    How big is the commitment? Someone in the Console Freeplay room told me 8 hours last year. Personally I don't really mind either way, but I like planning ahead of time what I'll be doing

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    CharlieTVS wrote:
    How big is the commitment? Someone in the Console Freeplay room told me 8 hours last year. Personally I don't really mind either way, but I like planning ahead of time what I'll be doing

In the past, the minimum requirement has been one 6-hour shift per day, the same shift each day. Late night shift only works fri and sat since we're closed by then on sunday. Setup/teardown aren't mandatory, but highly encouraged.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    The only thing I care about is being free to see the Protomen. So Yeah.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The only thing I care about is being free to see the Protomen. So Yeah.

You are able to request preferred shifts and swap shifts, but it's never 100%.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    After two years attending finally applied, very excited, anyone know when we should hear?

• Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    I also put in my application. As busy as that weekend is going to be, it's the right time for me to volunteer!

"Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    Does the "are you eligible to work in the US" question mean that people from other countries can't sign up for enforcing anymore? If so, how come?

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Does the "are you eligible to work in the US" question mean that people from other countries can't sign up for enforcing anymore? If so, how come?

PRD wrote:
    ... I'm sorry to say that from this year onwards, we can only accept volunteers eligible to work in the US.

PRD wrote:
    ... We are working the issue out for current foreign [E], but it will limit new recruiting.

• CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    Infinite sadness.

New plan: finish grad school, get a research job in the US, become an [E]. Should only take like another 2-3 years :D

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    so, i stupidly missed out on the weekend pass, and now, since i've never going to settle on which one day pass to get, i'm thinking of being an enforcer, like i've considered in the past two years but never applied. so forgive the dumb questions, but i just want to make sure a few things before deciding on this:

aioua wrote, one 6 hour shift each day, assuming that means all weekend, so same shift friday, saturday and sunday, correct?

also! after said 6 hour shift is over, are the enforcers then allowed to take their enforcer shirts off and roam free? are they allowed to possibly cosplay after that?

also, i know that there's training and breakdown to consider besides just working on the weekend. i've heard in the past, the full enforcer experience is an actual week. is this correct?

thanks kindly :)

kid_nyc wrote:
    so, i stupidly missed out on the weekend pass, and now, since i've never going to settle on which one day pass to get, i'm thinking of being an enforcer, like i've considered in the past two years but never applied. so forgive the dumb questions, but i just want to make sure a few things before deciding on this:

aioua wrote, one 6 hour shift each day, assuming that means all weekend, so same shift friday, saturday and sunday, correct?

also! after said 6 hour shift is over, are the enforcers then allowed to take their enforcer shirts off and roam free? are they allowed to possibly cosplay after that?

also, i know that there's training and breakdown to consider besides just working on the weekend. i've heard in the past, the full enforcer experience is an actual week. is this correct?

thanks kindly :)

1) they will probably try to keep you on the same shift each day, but it isn't guaranteed. Yes it means all 3 days.

2) when not on shift, enforcers are regular attendees :)

3) There's a lot of setup that's done pre-pax that they can definitely use enforcer help with. There's also teardown post pax. A lot of enforcers I know plan to arrive on the Tuesday or Wednesday before pax and leave on the Tuesday following pax.

(disclaimer: I'm not an enforcer, I just know many)

Also, I don't think that setup and teardown are required, but many participate because it's helpful and (according to them) fun. I think only the 6 hour shifts are required.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you get assigned Wang shift (9pm-2am) you only work 2 shifts because there is no late night shift on Sunday. Although ive seen people who do Wang get assigned a 3rd (like 2nd shift on sunday), But I believe that is optional.

The full "experience" is Wed setup, Thurs setup, daily shifts (or more if you choose) Friday-Sun, Sun teardown, Monday teardown, Monday late afternoon-evening Afterparty.
    (only the scheduled 6h shifts are required, everything else is fun/greatly helpful)

right on! thanks much for the speedy response! much appreciated!!

• y2ckty2ckt Registered User new member
    Already sent in my application. All I'd really want is a shift that lets me play a bit of MTG, and I am happy.

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Is there a PDF or TXT version? I don't have Word on this machine.

• MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    SvK wrote:

http://www.libreoffice.org/

• j0z1ej0z1e Shuffles the FailNinja Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SvK wrote:

Download it then upload it to Google Docs.

PAX East '12: Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane [ ] Time Off [N/A yet]
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Best of luck to all potential new Enforcers! It is an amazing experience with the best group of people I have ever met.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    j0z1e wrote:
    SvK wrote:

That did it. Now to wait and hope. Do we know when the Enforcers will be chosen?

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    SvK wrote:
    j0z1e wrote:
    SvK wrote:

That did it. Now to wait and hope. Do we know when the Enforcers will be chosen?

When I applied, I submitted my app in April and was accepted in June. But I expect they'll go much faster for this one since we're less than 90 days out already.

• K41NK41N [E] PC Gopher Monkey Mahwah, NJRegistered User new member
    I ride a baboon to work each day!

I mean... I submitted an App too~
    Should be fun :D

• EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think acceptance starts going out once PRD closes the application process. >.>

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    The biggest thing to decide about applying to be an enforcer is do you want to change your primary PAX experience from attending an awesome show, to being focused on doing everything you can to make the show Awesome. That is not to say that you will do nothing but work, your shift will not be all of PAX, you will get time to attend (or report to spareboard and keep working if you so choose), but even when taking off your shirt and playing "attendee" its best if your attitude is "how can I make this better". When I am off shift I like to experience PAX, but I take the roll of undercover attendee, trying to experience and notice things that we enforcers on shift might not.

Being an attendee is fine, in fact its wonderful. We need way more attendee's then we do enforcers to make this thing Awesome. And many attendee's go above and beyond the vanilla attendee experience creating and attending community events which are a big part of the Awesome. But for most people that have tried both, being an enforcer is much much better and very few go back to being an attendee anytime soon.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    So, say someone decided to be an enforcer. Would they be permitted to wear, say, a WH40k Imperial Commissar outfit, with a sash made from enforcer shirts, and work in character?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Generally you need to leave the base front and back of your shirt un-altered and un-obstructed. However some alterations have been approved by the powers that be on case by case basis. Based on what I have seen I don't think a sash would be enough of the shirt to make it acceptable. Keep in mind, our goal is not to intimidate, and in most cases its exactly the opposite, we want to be approachable. You would really need to discuss your idea with Kristin once in, with pictures of what your goal is, and see what she says.

Of shift you are limited by the same rules all attendees are of course.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    as far as being intimidating goes, there's more to the commissariat than yelling and summary executions. It isn't like I'd be humorlessly berating everyone. The rest of that is pretty hard to argue though. It was just a fun idea.

I didn't mean to say you would be berating everyone, sorry. What I meant was that since we have "ENFORCER" written in big letters on our back, we have to make a bit of an effort to make sure we are approachable, and that we don't intimate people, even when smiling. People in cosplay (such as this fine gentleman http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2736/4471363779_ae776e067e_o.jpg) have to make an extra effort above and beyond.

One other thought, you get exactly 1 enforcer shirt. So if you mod it for an outfit, you are effectively committing to stay in that outfit for all your shifts that weekend. Make sure its something comfortable, and that you don't want to keep your shirt afterwards.

Ultimately, its up to you what you want to wear, and to talk to the Managers if needed to get it approved (if its for on-shift). I look forward to seeing the outfit, whether while donning the Red, or not.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote:
    One other thought, you get exactly 1 enforcer shirt. So if you mod it for an outfit, you are effectively committing to stay in that outfit for all your shifts that weekend. Make sure its something comfortable, and that you don't want to keep your shirt afterwards.

Cosplayers are experts at creating replicas of clothing that is difficult to acquire.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SvK wrote:
    Beker wrote:

Cosplayers are experts at creating replicas of clothing that is difficult to acquire.

I am pretty sure you arent allowed to copy the enforcer shirt.

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thin Red Paste: While I definitely approve of any loyal member of the Commissariat nobly dedicating their time to scouring the pernicious influence of TRAITORS and HERETICS from PAX, I would strongly advise against cosplaying that extensively during your Enforcer shifts, specially as a new Enforcer. (Of course, when off shift, Enforcers can -- and several regularly do -- sport awesome costumes for their "Attendee time.")

And, yeah, copying the Enforcer shirt is NOT permitted.

Tango on
    So for those of us who have applied, I understand they are still making their decisions. But I was wondering, are we going to be notified if we don't make it too? Thanks!

• MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Bumping this back to the top, as we still need more Enforcers! Send in your application today!