As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to Remember a Fantasy Wargame from the 90s

VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I remember there being this flat, plastic-like mat with hexagons on it. I remember one side had goblins made of green plastic, and wolves made of gray plastic. They were fit into rectangular movement trays. There were crude keeps that snapped together. Everything snapped together. There were hexagonal cards that you placed on the battle mat to act as terrain. That is all.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Vanguard on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Was it a very giant map?
    Did you have towers?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think what L Ron Howard is hinting at is Battle Masters!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yes! I bet my parents still have this thing stashed away in the attic somewhere.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Battle Masters has been pretty well replicated by modern game designs like BattleLore, Battle of Westeros, and my personal favorite: the somewhat more grognardy Command and Colors.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    admanb wrote:
    Battle Masters has been pretty well replicated by modern game designs like BattleLore, Battle of Westeros, and my personal favorite: the somewhat more grognardy Command and Colors.

It looks like BattleLore is out of print and I'm not a huge fan of Martin's work. I might have to go treasure hunting next time I go back home.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I couldn't remember the name of that one, but I had several giant mat fantasy strategy games, and I just wanted clarification.
    It was a fun as heck game back in the day, though.