As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestling 2012: SET THE FUNKASAURUS FREE

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Well, to make an actual good invasion angle you need to, like, have the invasion be a threat in any way, shape or form. Which WCW/ECW was not.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It wasn't jusrt in Canada, it was in Calgary, his hometown.

I was there for that Raw, actually. Austin vs. Benoit in the main event. Good show.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I still say they should have kicked off the Invasion with an all-out arena-wide brawl between the rosters like the Nexus invasion but bigger.

Especially since that was sort of WCW's thing what with the nWo angle and all.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They had Lance Storm

getting cheers.

They could have had decades of fantastic midcard matches if they didn't screw anything up.

No, they had to screw everything imaginable with that angle up.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I did watch wrestling and saw the inVasion stuff and know it was big. And yeah, Canada definitely contributes a lot to that.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They had Lance Storm

getting cheers.

They could have had decades of fantastic midcard matches if they didn't screw anything up.

I think they're gonna be okay.

• Options
    Goose! wrote:
    They had Lance Storm

getting cheers.

Yes.

Because I have so much faith that they'll have a fantastic decade of midcard matches, led by Michael McGillicutty, Tyler Reks, Jinder Mahal, and Tyson Kidd.
    Literally everyone else will be in the main events by then, except those four.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Well they also have Jon Moxley, Tyler Black, Claudio Castagnoli and Richie Steamboat (from what I've seen he's really good).

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I consider those FCW talent until they're on the main roster (ie not house shows, must be on TV, no Superstars)

• Options
    I don't care what anyone says, I want to see Reks succeed. Just something about the guy I like.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Tyson Kidd is pretty good...

and if you're not watching FCW then you're missing out on some really good stuff (at least as far as the heel side of the roster is concerned).

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I though The Invasion ended because it would be kind of silly for 14 belts to be walking around. That's a very long PPV, unless they're alternating each month.

They want $50 a month now, imagine $100 a month for two seperate shows.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote:
    I though The Invasion ended because it would be kind of silly for 14 belts to be walking around. That's a very long PPV, unless they're alternating each month.

They want $50 a month now, imagine $100 a month for two seperate shows.

Well I think the original idea was for the brand extention to just be Raw and Nitro with alternating PPVs.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I miss the alternating Raw and SD ppvs.

• Options

This is a wrong opinion, because if they were still around, we wouldn't have had the perfection that was the last WWE PPV (ie Punk retaining WWE title, Ryder winning US title, Bryan winning World title)

• Options
    Oh my God

On Impact Wrestling, they just had Bully Ray mention that he was trending on Twitter Sunday during the PPV

He mentioned the fact that he was trending on Twitter at least 7 times, and Robert Roode was clearly irritated about each mention of the word

Why did they think ripping WWE off about the overuse of mentioning Twitter was a good idea?

• Options
    Well I think they're trying to say how stupid and irritating it is when WWE mentions twitter which is fine for a one-shot deal. Knowing TNA they'll drive it into the ground in a month.

• Options
    It takes a lot to make me think Bully Ray is annoying and not awesome

3 uses of Twitter later, and TNA proved me wrong again

Then of course they had to overdo it by making him say it at least 6 more times

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I think it's awesome. I hope Vince sees it.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The thing about the WCW contracts that you also have to take into account is that a lot of them were hilariously stacked against the company. So it was a case of either buying out the contracts and now you have the guys but you also have their guaranteed contracts with terms that pretty much noone in the WWE at the time had or offer them new deals on par with what the WWE thought they were worth, which wasn't anywhere near what their current contract was worth.

So a lot of the big stars waited out their contracts and got paid big bucks for doing nothing. Look at Goldberg, Time/Warner bought out his contract in May 2002, they'd been paying him main event money for over a year after WCW folded.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular

This is a wrong opinion, because if they were still around, we wouldn't have had the perfection that was the last WWE PPV (ie Punk retaining WWE title, Ryder winning US title, Bryan winning World title)

They could have still done that sort of thing at the Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam or Survivor Series. And I too miss the alternating PPVs. It made it feel far less like a revolving door for feuds and championship matches. That and the really awesome cross promotion feuds like HBK vs. Angle.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Goose! wrote:
    They had Lance Storm

getting cheers.

Yes.

Because I have so much faith that they'll have a fantastic decade of midcard matches, led by Michael McGillicutty, Tyler Reks, Jinder Mahal, and Tyson Kidd.
    Literally everyone else will be in the main events by then, except those four.

Except the invasion angle was in 2001, so its already been a decade since then, and the midcard in WWE the last 10 years has been pretty good. Thus the "I think they're gonna be okay" line.

Goose! on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Let me give you an idea of how over the angle was before everything Sweeney Tom mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDY55Q-b1Y

You hear that ovation? That's for LANCE STORM. I know they're in Canada and Lance Storm always deserved to be more over than he was...

but LANCE STORM.

I think everybody is ignoring the awesomeness that must have been a Saturn vs. Steve Blackman match. Maybe it's just me but that match sounds awesome and Lance Storm at the end is just icing on the cake.

• Options
    David_T wrote:
    The thing about the WCW contracts that you also have to take into account is that a lot of them were hilariously stacked against the company. So it was a case of either buying out the contracts and now you have the guys but you also have their guaranteed contracts with terms that pretty much noone in the WWE at the time had or offer them new deals on par with what the WWE thought they were worth, which wasn't anywhere near what their current contract was worth.

So a lot of the big stars waited out their contracts and got paid big bucks for doing nothing. Look at Goldberg, Time/Warner bought out his contract in May 2002, they'd been paying him main event money for over a year after WCW folded.

That's a good point. We all know now Sting would never consider going to WWE so cross him off the list. Really all you needed was Goldberg but try and convince him to go back to wrestling instead of doing nothing and getting shit loads of money. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing of course.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm glad he's planning to be there.

• Options
    It would be very weird to have Ric not be at a 4 Horseman induction. As, well, I would say that Ric is the biggest and most recognizable member. Though, with him still being under contract with TNA (unless that ends mysteriously sometime between now and WM weekend), can he legally show up at the HoF ceremony without violating his TNA contract?

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    It takes a lot to make me think Bully Ray is annoying and not awesome

3 uses of Twitter later, and TNA proved me wrong again

Then of course they had to overdo it by making him say it at least 6 more times

That was one of the best things I've seen this week outside of Funkasaurus and Zack Ryder: Tire Technician. It was obviously poking fun at WWE a little bit, but it was more about that is just the kind of crazy fucker Bully Ray is. Are you trending on twitter? Its ok to be jealous that I'm trending. I'm even trending in Canada!

• Options
    edited January 2012
    All it takes for me to think Bully Ray is annoying is the fact that he pushed his trainees on TNA really hard and then one of them seriously injured Daffney, and he acted like an unapologetic dickhead about it.

So fuck him.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Schide wrote:
    Well, to make an actual good invasion angle you need to, like, have the invasion be a threat in any way, shape or form. Which WCW/ECW was not.

Nice to know that Schide was the only one to blatantly point out what the biggest problem of the inVasion was. The reason Austin and Angle defected to the WCW side was to make them look like a bigger threat, when in actuality it made the prior WCW guys look like even more shit than they already were. Add that to the fact that WWF guys would beat WCW guys at every opportunity.

Hell, this segment right here was the inVasion in a nutshell. You had a guy in Stasiak who could have been portrayed as some kind of threat, and the Rock just makes him look stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXkMDZSN7w
    KurnDerak wrote:
    It would be very weird to have Ric not be at a 4 Horseman induction. As, well, I would say that Ric is the biggest and most recognizable member. Though, with him still being under contract with TNA (unless that ends mysteriously sometime between now and WM weekend), can he legally show up at the HoF ceremony without violating his TNA contract?

I imagine Flair's contract allows him to take outside bookings, and he probably had discussions with TNA before talking to Vince, otherwise the Horsemen wouldn't be getting an induction.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    From what I understand, TNA contracts allow for appearances at independent promotions but very strictly bans their talent from appearing on WWE programming. I would imagine that Flair would require special permission for him to appear at the Hall of Fame.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Flair probably got a better deal than most TNA talent simply because he is Flair. Hogan would probably be able to get away with the same stuff as well if he was on Vince's good side right now.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Nirya the Rock made fun of EVERYONE in his feuds, not just the alliance guys. Not saying you're wrong about the angle as a whole though.

And Stasiak was the last person you wanted to push as a legit threat.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Smackdown spoilers
    Kidd gets squashed in like Zack Ryder vs Sheamus time. 13 seconds from first bell to last.

and AJ just gets ran into not WMD'd. Although she and the announce team sells it like death

Holy shit, the crowd really get into this.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Funkasaurus Match from Smackdown:

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Okay, after watching the Big Show - Bryan match I am totally stoked for where this is going.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Aw, shukkie dukkie.

As someone who missed the entire WWE/WCW merger, I always find these videos amazing.

I miss the Lethal Weapon Steve Blackmon, and his kendo sticks.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nirya wrote:
    Schide wrote:

Nice to know that Schide was the only one to blatantly point out what the biggest problem of the inVasion was. The reason Austin and Angle defected to the WCW side was to make them look like a bigger threat, when in actuality it made the prior WCW guys look like even more shit than they already were. Add that to the fact that WWF guys would beat WCW guys at every opportunity.
    It dosent help that everyone on the WCW side was made heel and everyone on the WWE side was made face during the storyline. So if they wanted one of their big guys to be heel the quickest way to do that was have them switch sides.

Also Vince tried to sell WCW as the second brand and no channels were willing to buy it because it went under. So thats why the split the brands with Raw/Smackdown the next year.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    And while looking back the invasion storyline wasnt the greatest, I thought it was pretty amazing to watch it unfold as it happened.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I liked the Invasion Angle just because it gave us a lot of dream matches that nobody thought would happen.

I remember being super excited for the Jeff Hardy vs. RVD match at Invasion which I remember as being awesome. I don't know if I want to watch it again and be disappointed or possibly have my belief affirmed.

I just watched Jeff Hardy in RoH for the one time and he gets booed so goddamn hard it was awesome. It didn't help that he dragged his crap-ass trainee Special K in with him who botched everything. Made Hardy seem like a solid wrestler. Really I just felt bad for Joey Matthews in the three way although he got huge pops throughout the night.

This discussion has been closed.