Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Hyberbole and a [chat]

18485878990100

Posts

  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Also thank god most of my friends are atheists. No one has told me god has a plan yet.

    god these people are infuriating when you are suffering a loss

    my sympathies, duder

    Yeah I mean

    I'm just really glad my mom and sister are awesome. And like, I am reminding myself that I don't have any unfinished business with my dad or anything. My mom's employed and has a pension, my sister and I are adults and can take care of ourselves.

    Like

    It's a damn sight better than several people I know who lost their parents in middle school. At least I can definitely see the way forward.

  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User
    Sarksus wrote:
    Sarksus I have Alpha Centauri installed.

    Let's settle, and then destroy, the next frontier.

    Well I'm at work now but of multiplayer works I will be up for that once I understand how the game works. Right now I have a governor doing everything so shit just happens by itself and it's really confusing. I have to learn how to do it myself.

    It's actually really simple. For each citizen in a base, you can work one tile from the land nearby. Each tile provides an amount (Which may be zero) of minerals, nutrients, and energy. Minerals are used for building things. Nutrients are used for growth of population. Energy is the game's currency. So if you increase one, your base will make things faster, increasing another will make it grow, and the last will stimulate your economy, allowing you to use money to rush production, to buy research or even entire bases from other factions, or to bribe them into various other agreements.

    You get a general indication of what a tile will give you from the map. Lush, green tiles will get you nutrients. Rocky tiles will get you minerals. Energy collection is done with solar panels, so higher-altitude areas will get you more energy.

    Other things add new layers to it, like for example with a mid-game tech you can raise altitude of land to create mountains which will provide more energy to solar panels... but will also affect weather patterns in other areas, shifting rainfall and potentially starving or flooding other settlements.

  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    So I made a new "business" gmail account that forwards to my "personal" gmail account, and I set it up so that my "personal" gmail account forwards to the "business" gmail account as well.

    But what would happen, then, if I used one of my accounts to e-mail the other account?




    E M A I L P A R A D O X

    what was the point of that

    if you're forwarding all of a to b why do you need to forward all of b to a

    He just wants you to explain all the ways in which he's wrong so he can learn!

    :bz

    The point is that I want what is essentially one e-mail account with two gmail addresses, and this was a simple way to do it.

    You could make a third account and have both forward to it, and then you won't get duplicate emails.

    I actually love this idea, because then I'll have a secret third e-mail address that no one but me will know about. Like it is my true name that I must keep secret because if you know it you can use it to control me.

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    my fiancee's grandmother, who she was extremely close to, passed away recently

    in telling my mother about this, she asked if my fiancee believed in god and i was like "No and if you do any of that 'god has a plan' or 'she's in a better place' now shit to her both of us will get really mad at you" and she was like "okay nevermind"

    When my friend got raped by a cab driver while drunk, her mom's first response was to weave up some bullshit about how this was God's way to cure her of her drinking problem.

    We cut that shit in the bud really fucking quick.

    I assume by popping her in the mouth and informing her that if more stupid shit came out of it there would be repeat?

  • VanguardVanguard Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pony wrote:
    alright so

    here's the story of what happened:
    Spoiler:

    Awesome.

  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    alright so

    here's the story of what happened:
    Spoiler:

    This is kind of an amazing story.

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    my fiancee's grandmother, who she was extremely close to, passed away recently

    in telling my mother about this, she asked if my fiancee believed in god and i was like "No and if you do any of that 'god has a plan' or 'she's in a better place' now shit to her both of us will get really mad at you" and she was like "okay nevermind"

    When my friend got raped by a cab driver while drunk, her mom's first response was to weave up some bullshit about how this was God's way to cure her of her drinking problem.

    We cut that shit in the bud really fucking quick.

    I assume by popping her in the mouth and informing her that if more stupid shit came out of it there would be repeat?

    Violence was not involved. Just a lot of "what the fuck? jesus fucking christ."

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch, man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

    I've considered it, but this seems far too scary and adult.

    Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

    use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    oh i was hoping it was going to involve more gunfights and carchases

    still is acceptable

    a conspiracy that reaches all the way... INTO THE HALLS OF POWER

    DUND UN DUN

    obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Abolish the wage system! Takin' Care of BusinessRegistered User regular
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    dxCTBM7.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    That's what I never understood, cant handle the traffic? PA probably doesn't even have at the most peak days half of what NeoGAF's load on its slowest day.

    The only issue there ever really is with GAF is when they disable avatars during E3

    My understanding is that vbulletin doesn't scale very well, and the other organizations deal with it just by piling more hardware on, which is pretty expensive, and is the reason why NeoGAF and SA have interstitial ads.

    The biggest difference is that the PA forums have one dedicated guy to keep them running smoothly, while a site like NeoGAF might have half a dozen techies running around herding vBulletin to work exactly like they want it to. PA is so small, they kinda need a solution that allows one guy to keep it running indefinitely.

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    oh wait what the fuck

    now it's gone again

    what the hell, forum

    this has been happening to other people too, right?

    i think spool was complaining about it

    Yeah, it's happened to me a few times. The best thing is that it seems like this would be the time for drafts to shine. But of course they don't.

    china_sig.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    So I made a new "business" gmail account that forwards to my "personal" gmail account, and I set it up so that my "personal" gmail account forwards to the "business" gmail account as well.

    But what would happen, then, if I used one of my accounts to e-mail the other account?




    E M A I L P A R A D O X

    what was the point of that

    if you're forwarding all of a to b why do you need to forward all of b to a

    He just wants you to explain all the ways in which he's wrong so he can learn!

    :bz

    The point is that I want what is essentially one e-mail account with two gmail addresses, and this was a simple way to do it.

    You could make a third account and have both forward to it, and then you won't get duplicate emails.

    I actually love this idea, because then I'll have a secret third e-mail address that no one but me will know about. Like it is my true name that I must keep secret because if you know it you can use it to control me.

    OH MAN

    Get a fourth email you never check that just forwards everything from the third email to a fifth email!

  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    Man before my mom knew that I had been raped we were having an argument, I was like thirteen, and I tearfully yelled "Maybe there's something wrong with me, okay?" and she said "Yeah, maybe there is."

    That was pretty bad

    fhBqOWH.jpg?1
    Oathkeeper Updates Monday/Wednesday/Friday
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    ...INCREDIBLE

    bloodyroarxx on
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    my fiancee's grandmother, who she was extremely close to, passed away recently

    in telling my mother about this, she asked if my fiancee believed in god and i was like "No and if you do any of that 'god has a plan' or 'she's in a better place' now shit to her both of us will get really mad at you" and she was like "okay nevermind"

    When my friend got raped by a cab driver while drunk, her mom's first response was to weave up some bullshit about how this was God's way to cure her of her drinking problem.

    We cut that shit in the bud really fucking quick.

    I assume by popping her in the mouth and informing her that if more stupid shit came out of it there would be repeat?

    That is pretty horrific of a way for her mom to react.

    Like that is seriously disgusting.

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • HerrCronHerrCron Registered User regular
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

    I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.

    sig.gif
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

    I've considered it, but this seems far too scary and adult.

    Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

    use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

    But if I use Thunderbird then I have to use Firefox as well just because I have a dire need to complete sets.

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • SarksusSarksus playing tennisRegistered User regular
    No I got the base and tile management stuff because it's kind of like Civ V anyway. My problem is the tech development and unit creation. Like I go in the library or data link thing and what the fuck look at all this shit there's like twelve dozen tabs to go through and what does this tech do and what is my base building, there's nothing in the queue but more shit keeps popping out god damn governor.

  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

    I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.
    i think the most universal response I got was "that fuckin' sucks"

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    So the researcher who published that red wine is good for you apparently falsified much of his data.

  • ChanusChanus Registered User regular
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    ...INCROYABLE

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    this was the apology I wrote to the person in question:
    Spoiler:

    you will notice i never actually apologize for anything i did personally or admit to having done anything myself

    i wasn't having this thing used as a backdoor confession to get me in shit

    i know better

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Abolish the wage system! Takin' Care of BusinessRegistered User regular
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    ...INCREDIBLE

    It's almost like a tagline.

    Almost translated literally, it's "no home, no mercy".

    dxCTBM7.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

    I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.

    Yeah, you just kind of have to face the fact that you have no idea what to say to help them out and really just express that you're very empathetic to the shitty fucking time they're going through.

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

    I've considered it, but this seems far too scary and adult.

    Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

    use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

    But if I use Thunderbird then I have to use Firefox as well just because I have a dire need to complete sets.

    you have no idea how much it pain me that i use mail, ichat, pages, garageband... and google chrome

    i just can't go back to safari after getting used to chrome's ui for a while + my favorite plugins

    XMSODhjrer45.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Man before my mom knew that I had been raped we were having an argument, I was like thirteen, and I tearfully yelled "Maybe there's something wrong with me, okay?" and she said "Yeah, maybe there is."

    That was pretty bad

    i am of the belief that your mom has been as much a destructive influence in your self-esteem problems as any other thing in your life

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Bro!Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

    I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.

    You listen and try offer what comfort you can. Mostly by listening or simply being there.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    The French often give movies a new English title, because the original one is tough to pronounce for Frenchies. Any Frenchman would have trouble pronouncing "shotgun".

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    oh winky i just sort of assumed you used a client with support for multiple accounts and not a web based, protocol-specific interface like some sort of troglodyte

    I've considered it, but this seems far too scary and adult.

    Outlook and similar programs have always been things that grown ups use for me. If I start using them, then I am become the grown up.

    use thunderbird. it's young and hip and lacks all the old style, corporate connotations of outlook and exchange.

    But if I use Thunderbird then I have to use Firefox as well just because I have a dire need to complete sets.

    Well that's certainly true. Your halfassed email access does match your

    china_sig.jpg
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi Registered User regular
    Another recruiter call, but this one is INSANELY promising. The cynic in me knows it won't pan out, but I can't help but hope.

    Damn it, it's fucking noon. I demand to know if Yami shit on a desk yet.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    when i had friends going through rough times i was simultaneously always trying to be there as a shoulder and fucking terrified because i'm a retard with no life experience what the fuck do i say

    I don't think anybody ever fucking knows what to say in those situations so you have try and be as supportive while saying as little as possible.

    Yeah, luckily what matters in those situations isn't what you say, it's just that you are willing to be there for them. Often saying nothing at all can be for the best.

    afaossig.jpg~original
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    yami y u b so mandelbrot set

    obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Abolish the wage system! Takin' Care of BusinessRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    The French often give movies a new English title, because the original one is tough to pronounce for Frenchies. Any Frenchman would have trouble pronouncing "shotgun".

    dude, what?

    When dubbing a movie for a foreign country, they very frequently translate the title...

    also, i can totally pronounce shotgun, it's the "th" syllable i have trouble with.

    The title is actually "Sans abris, sans merci", which means "Homeless, Merciless".

    dxCTBM7.png
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    So the researcher who published that red wine is good for you apparently falsified much of his data.

    If I ever snap and start shooting people, it will likely have something to do with scientific dishonesty.

    Perhaps because I have this internal notion of the scientific community being the one institution that will always at least strive towards truth.

    They are tainting the only pure thing I have!

    f1i3ys.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    So the researcher who published that red wine is good for you apparently falsified much of his data.

    If I ever snap and start shooting people, it will likely have something to do with scientific dishonesty.

    Perhaps because I have this internal notion of the scientific community being the one institution that will always at least strive towards truth.

    They are tainting the only pure thing I have!

    Oh, to be so young and naive. <3

    afaossig.jpg~original
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Haha, do you know what the french title for Hobo with a shotgun is?

    "Homeless, Merciless."

    The French often give movies a new English title, because the original one is tough to pronounce for Frenchies. Any Frenchman would have trouble pronouncing "shotgun".

    is there no french translation for shotgun?

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    liars gonna lie

    scientists gonna science

    lying scientists gonna lie while sciencing

    trufax

    obF2Wuw.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser At the corporate garage sale This is cheap and plentifulRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    this was the apology I wrote to the person in question:
    Spoiler:

    you will notice i never actually apologize for anything i did personally or admit to having done anything myself

    i wasn't having this thing used as a backdoor confession to get me in shit

    i know better

    Wow, Im surprised Tube didn't perma-ban you. Not that you deserved a perma-banning, but if someone ever got the FBI all up in my shit, right or wrong, they would be purged with fire.

  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    This has happened to me before (left ventrilo on)
    zvFLM.png

This discussion has been closed.