As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Who's bringing their 3DS (or other handheld device) and what games?

jaded_realityjaded_reality Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
I'm planning on bringing my 3DS to play with people but I'm curious as to how many people are bringing theirs and what games are going to be played the most. I'm already going to assume Mario-Kart is the main one with a little Street Fighter thrown in for good mix.

3 Day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Travel [ ] 3DS [X] Alcohol Tolerance [X]
Moe Fwacky on

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I will have a 3DS as well as my husband's DS (for longer battery life). I will have Mario Kart all up ins! I also have Street Fighter 3DS but I am very shitty at it and probably won't want to play anyone because it is a lot more expensive to Hulk Slam a 3DS than it is a SNES controller.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • jaded_realityjaded_reality Registered User regular
    Well if it's any help I'm pretty shitty at SF too but I can mash buttons with the best of them!

• kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the ds was very popular last year. the 3ds was coming out a week or two after pax last year, so i don't know how popular that particular device will be this year, but i have a feeling there will be a fair number of people with one. i brought my dsi last year and played many a game of mario kart with many a people. also played some random other games, mainly while waiting in lines.

in fact, as i was waiting in a line for one of the main events, i popped into a ds chat room because i was bored. i ended up talking to a really cute guy. we ended up spotting each other in line and hung out for the rest of the night.

kid_nyc on
  • The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    I will have my 3ds with Mario Kart and Kid Icarus uprising (which should be out just before the show)

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • tnkltnkltnkltnkl Registered User new member
    I'll have my 3ds with zelda OoT, harvest moon, and some ds pokemon games (white and platinum)

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I've a DSI, going to be sharing around my World Ends With You Darklit Planets set as usual, also Kart (duh) and Pokemon Diamond (the only pokemon game I have herp)

and a few Megaman games (ZX and ZXA, specifically)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'll bring my 3DS and my DS Lite, with: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Black/Soul Silver... and maybe Tetris. Don't see myself playing anything else.

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Mario Kart 7, Starfox, probably have Kid Icarus by then.

NSw0gum.png
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I'll bring my 3DS again (got sooooooo many StreetPasses at Prime) to babysit. Seriously, I had to open the thing and clear stuff out every 10-15 minutes lol.

I'll be bringing MK7, Tetris Axis, SSFIV:3D (mainly just for figurine battles), and maybe Kid Icarus if it's out before East (and I feel like buying it.) Debating whether or not I will bring any regular DS games this time around though.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm going with Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Mercenaries, Sonic Generations, Shinobi, Super Mario 3D, Super Street Fighter IV, and Pokemon White. I should have Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear Solid, Kid Icarus, and the Circle Pad before PAX also. I know it seems like alot, but hey, I like variety.

jdixon1972 on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    I'm bringing mine and my husband is bringing his! So far we plan on bring Mario Kart 7/DS, Tetris Axis/DS, Pokemon White/Soul Silver and TWEWY. I'm hoping to get some puzzle pieces from streetpass, blasted pink pieces!

bftgk95jb551.png

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    Oh heck yes I am bringing my 3DS. I am sporting Mario Kart 3d, Mario Land 3d, Pokemon White and HeartGold, and Zelda!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Seanyd781Seanyd781 Registered User regular
    ill be bringing my DS, as well as Mario Kart/GTA: Chinatown Wars/Pokemon: Black. Usually a handful of people play Mario Kart, always a fun time!

• DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    I may bring my tiger handheld games of Double Dragon and Castlevania. :)

Ds3hsEH.png
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing my 3ds with Mario Kart 3d. Maybe another multiplayer game if I buy one by then.

• Tribute55Tribute55 Registered User new member
    Anyone planning to bring a Vita with them?

• griffin.brucegriffin.bruce MichiganRegistered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS and plan to pick up MK7 soon. Will also hopefully have a Vita by then!

PAX East 2012: [X] Badge // [X] Time-off // [X] Accomodations // [ ] Travel // [X] EXCITEMENT!!!
    Twitter: @griffin_bruce GT: Nephilim Army PSN: NephilimArmy 3DS: 3523-2206-5371
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I think the answer to this thread is "everyone." Not having your handheld device with you is unthinkable!

I'll have my 3DS and Vita with me for sure! StreetPass will be EPIC!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I was hoping to get some four swords action on since they gave it out for free.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Glad you started this thread. I have a DS and had been wondering if I should even bother bringing it thinking that the majority of people will be rockin' a 3DS.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I will be bringing my DS Lite and likely pokemon, the DS mario kart, and maybe some others.

• RastRast Keene NHRegistered User regular
    I'm always amazed that more people don't have a handheld outside of PAX. I mean really? Lines, the DMV, and doctor visits are sooooo much more fun! Pokemans FTW and Mario Kart DS for a close second!

Pax East 2015: Hotel [X] Passes [X] PokeCrawl [ ] Pure Joy [X]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rast wrote:
    I'm always amazed that more people don't have a handheld outside of PAX. I mean really? Lines, the DMV, and doctor visits are sooooo much more fun! Pokemans FTW and Mario Kart DS for a close second!

It's because of the glares of the general public. Not everyone is ready for the awesomeness that is self-gaming-awareness ;)

zerzhul wrote:
    Rast wrote:

It's because of the glares of the general public. Not everyone is ready for the awesomeness that is self-gaming-awareness ;)
    True. Sad, but true.

I was rocking out to some street fighter at the doctors office. People gave me some looks but I think they were mostly jealous since I was the only one there didn't look bored out of their mind.

• GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    I'm usually too busy enjoying my game to notice any scorns. I worked hard and make good money now, so I take solace in the fact that I'm probably richer than the person judging me.

• bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    I would say Mario Kart 7, StarFox 64 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, and that Kid Icarus game will be what people will be playing. If not there is the mii plaza games pre-loaded on 3ds that use spot pass & street pass. Although I'm thinking PS Vita is going to be the hot ticket since it releases in Feb.

[x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!

Now that is going old school. Makes me almost want to bust out my Atari Lynx and maybe even blow the dust off the Virtual Boy.

• JTailsJTails OHIORegistered User regular
    Pokemon Black&White was released a week or two before PAX so that's all anyone was playing last year. As for this year, MarioKart3DS and probably LOZ:Four Swords, I can't think of any other "good" multiplayer games at the moment, but I'll be bringing both 3DS and DS.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Rast wrote:

My wife and I rocked out Mario Kart at the DMV when she had to get her license here. Made the 90 minutes fly by.

E6LkoFK.png

• v1ralv1ral Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    A 3DS for the obvious Street Passes is the best bet. Nobody in the US will be buying a Vita, so it's pointless to bring.

v1ral on
  • MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be bringing my 3DS, as will my boyfriend. We'll both be bringing Mario Kart for sure. I'll also probably be bringing Zelda OoT and Pokemon White.
    I'm a little bummed that the 3DS doesn't have a chat feature like my old DSlite. That was definitely a fun time last year. This new Swapnote thing isn't the same.

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
    I can't wait to get all of those sweet little street passes!! I've been in Afganistan for the past year so it's been a little rough to complete all the puzzles :(

• Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    my Fiance and I will both have our 3DS'. i'll mostly be playing pokemon, while he'll have a few more games on top of pokemon :)

Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Rast wrote:

My wife and I rocked out Mario Kart at the DMV when she had to get her license here. Made the 90 minutes fly by.
    See! Now that's what I'm talking about! If you have to wait, wait happy. Otherwise you're just another grumbler in the corner.

• DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular

Now that is going old school. Makes me almost want to bust out my Atari Lynx and maybe even blow the dust off the Virtual Boy.

Virtual Boy would be tough to carry around.

Funny story - At Pax Prime 2010, I was playing Double Dragon in line waiting for a panel to start and a random attendee asked me if I could turn the game off cause he must have been really annoyed with the sound of my tiger handheld. Haha!

Ds3hsEH.png
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I'll probably bring my 3DS along with Pokemon and I will hopefully pick up the new Mario Kart.

steam_sig.png
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    I'll have my 3DS, along with Pokemon: Black, LoZ: Four Swords, Kid Icarus, not sure about RE or MK7 as of yet. But I had 3 hours to kill between classes today, and was really glad I had this thing with me (currently on my second run through Cave Story 3D). Also, passed about 1000 other students between yesterday and today. Number of streetpass tags: 0. :/

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I'll be hedging my bets and bringing my DS and my 3DS, with Mario Kart for both, some version of Pokemon, and Zelda. Maybe some others if I have some extra spending money to blow before April.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • guster11guster11 Registered User regular
    I'm bringing my 3ds with starfox and mario kart, I can't wait to versus someone in starfox! Also for sure I'll have a vita with me, I'm dying to get one of them.