Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PA Q&A about SUPER SECRETS AND LUMINOUS EVENTS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

2456

Posts

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Goose! wrote:
    Will your coverage include still going to those conventions you just mentioned (obviously you'll be at PAX but what about E3, GDC, et al)?

    Yes, I'll be traveling extensively. I'm a big fan of getting out there and getting your hands dirty.

  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Since I'm on a cell phone I will ask the most important short question of all.

    Have you played Deadly Premonition and did you like it?

    Congrats ben and welcome!

    XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the direct response ben! And no problem, its a huge question and you pretty much answered the heart of the question, thanks! And PC Ftw

    ninjai on
    Mice scratching at the walls inside of your head.
    This is a warning that my sig was too tall.
    You could have sent me a PM or something.
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    zucchini wrote:
    Ben,

    Who do you think would win in a fight; a bear with sharks for arms or a shark with bears for arms?

    A bear with sharks for arms. The bear could swim well enough to keep the sharks alive for the purposes of combat. A shark would spend its time underwater and drown the bear, making it a useless collection of godless parts.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Ben,

    Did you go through rigorous torture interviews before becoming a member of the team? Or was this more of a merger of talents (rather than them... acquiring you)?

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Mr Kuchera sir:

    I wonder if your content may be better off if posted on the frontpage on 'off' days. If there is already a comic and the newspost(s) on Mon-Wed-Fri, why not post your content Tue-Thu-Sat? Generate more pageviews on what I am assuming are the 'slower' days for the mainsite?

    I'm really not sure what would work the best, but right now I think readers understand that if they show up on those days they're going to get a funny comic and some great writing. Expanding that to include news seems like the natural thing to do. It's possible in the future there will be content put up on other days as well.

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    zerzhul wrote:
    Ben,

    Did you go through rigorous torture interviews before becoming a member of the team? Or was this more of a merger of talents (rather than them... acquiring you)?

    I traveled to Seattle to meet with the team and talk about the things we could do together before I was hired, but it was nothing like the grueling process you've seen on PATV. I love Ars Technica, and I wasn't interesting in leaving unless I thought I could do something really special with Penny Arcade, I'm such a big fan that my main concern was messing it up. After a few hours it became clear that it was a good fit, so we moved forward with the plans to bring my onboard.

  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    If you were a biscuit, what kind of biscuit would you be?

  • zucchinizucchini pretty much amazing Registered User regular
    Thus the line in the sand is drawn. See you on the battlefield, my shark armed brother.

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    Ben, did they promise to give you the antidote? Because they may be lying to you.

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Ben,

    just how much do you love hitman 2?

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I just caught up on your answers, Ben.

    Big dreamcast fan? Were gonna get along juuust fine.

    Bother EVERYONE for a new Cannon Spike, Power Stone and see what you can do about another Blue Stinger.

    Again, welcome!

    XBL: MXrox - PSN: mxmarks - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Ben,

    What will your presence be at PAX East? Considered doing a panel with Q&A about what sort of topics people want to see covered in this new endeavor? More importantly.... will you be in the autograph book Mike plans to create? ;)

  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I just caught up on your answers, Ben.

    Big dreamcast fan? Were gonna get along juuust fine.

    Bother EVERYONE for a new Cannon Spike, Power Stone and see what you can do about another Blue Stinger.

    Again, welcome!

    I ask you to disregard this Mr Kuchera.

    Please utilise whatever industry influence you may have into expediting the release of Resident Evil 6.

    Thank you for your time, and your good graces.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    KUUUCCCCHHEEERRRAAA!!!!

    Virtue flourishes in the most unexpected places.
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    If you were a biscuit, what kind of biscuit would you be?

    Seabiscuit. Duh.

  • Mr. GMr. G Are those your drums? Registered User regular
    Ben,

    what should I name my soldiers in X-Com UFO Defense?

    YH0YJOf.png
    Twitter / Steam / 3DS: 2981-5358-6078
  • TopHeavyTopHeavy Registered User
    So happy for you Ben. I've been a big fan from Ars and looking forward to your work at PA. When I agree with your writing (Deus Ex, Binding of Isaac, et al) I find the warm glow of knowing I made a good choice, and when I disagree with you (Serious Sam, AvP, et al) I rail in my head against the inconsistencies in logic and failings of journalism (I come around pretty quickly though). Here's to what is sure to be a fantastic pairing of minds at PA. Cheers!

    -TopHeavyBrain
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    darleysam wrote:
    Ben, did they promise to give you the antidote? Because they may be lying to you.

    I've actually been slowly working up a tolerance, so I'll be just fine.

  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Ben, as a disabled gamer, I've always been a bit disappointed in the overall lack of...care? Inclusion? Consideration? Many game companies and publishers display towards disabled gamers. The lack of standard programmable controls, subtitles, color blind display options, and font/display size options all point me to the conclusion that publishers are either unaware of the issues facing disabled gamers, or that they just don't care*. While, on the one hand, the fact that these options exist is a step forward, they're often added as an afterthought, and haphazardly so.

    Sites like ablegamers.com do a great job of advocating for the disabled gamer community at large. The problem is that these concerns are still largely out of the mainstream gamer space. Out of sight, out of mind.

    To get to my question, do you think this is something that PA Investigations (or whatever what you'll be doing will be named) should cover, in general? Or, similarly, gender and/or age issues both within the industry and user spheres? I know you probed a bit deeper than other game journalists over at Ars, so I'm wondering if that will continue, and how far.

    *Obviously, there need to be some limits. A gamer can't expect to rejigger the entire UI.

    My PA, PSN, XBL, Origin, and Steam names are the same. 3DS Friend Code: 1607-1682-2948
    steam_sig-400.png
    Stack Exchange | http://www.mpdevblog.blogspot.com
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff

    Mr. G wrote:
    Ben,

    what should I name my soldiers in X-Com UFO Defense?

    Name them after female cast members of SNL that didn't get much screen time. Then when they die, cluck your tongue about how sexist this world really is.

  • DrainDrain TableTop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Where's home base for you? I imagine you are not relocating to Seattle and can write from where ever you live. I'm sad to admit that you (and Ars Technica) weren't really on my radar until now.

    Edit: Welcome to PA btw :)

    Drain on
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time."
  • StymieStymie Registered User
    Ben,

    I've been a big fan of your work on Ars Technica. You haven't been afraid to confront issues in the gaming industry (e.g. Gran Turismo 5's horrid user experience). A couple questions:

    1) Will we still get to see an occasional Nerf review?

    2) Glad to hear you want to keep some indie games in the mix (I am a fellow lover of Adventures of Shuggy). How are you going to select what games (indie or otherwise) to cover? Is it based on personal interest? I am all for keeping coverage limited to legitimately interesting games (ex GIA staff, here).

    3) Due to having played Dark Souls to completion beforehand, I couldn't bring myself to really enjoy Skyrim as it felt like a clunky 10 year old game in comparison. This isn't a question, I just had to throw it out there.

  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Will you be working out of the office or from where you are now?

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    zerzhul wrote:
    Ben,

    What will your presence be at PAX East? Considered doing a panel with Q&A about what sort of topics people want to see covered in this new endeavor? More importantly.... will you be in the autograph book Mike plans to create? ;)

    It's going to be a mixture of a few different things. I'll probably be moderating some of the panels, and I'll also be covering the show just as I would for any other outlet. If there's an autograph book, I would hope to be included, right under Princess Aurora.

  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Damnit Drain ya beat me to it.

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Ben, as a disabled gamer, I've always been a bit disappointed in the overall lack of...care? Inclusion? Consideration? Many game companies and publishers display towards disabled gamers. The lack of standard programmable controls, subtitles, color blind display options, and font/display size options all point me to the conclusion that publishers are either unaware of the issues facing disabled gamers, or that they just don't care*. While, on the one hand, the fact that these options exist is a step forward, they're often added as an afterthought, and haphazardly so.

    Sites like ablegamers.com do a great job of advocating for the disabled gamer community at large. The problem is that these concerns are still largely out of the mainstream gamer space. Out of sight, out of mind.

    To get to my question, do you think this is something that PA Investigations (or whatever what you'll be doing will be named) should cover, in general? Or, similarly, gender and/or age issues both within the industry and user spheres? I know you probed a bit deeper than other game journalists over at Ars, so I'm wondering if that will continue, and how far.

    *Obviously, there need to be some limits. A gamer can't expect to rejigger the entire UI.

    This is a topic we'll be covering, although I can't say when or in what capacity. I do think gaming should be an inclusive things, and making gaming friendlier to people with disabilities is a huge part of that. It's a subject I've tackled in the past, and will continue to do so.

  • xchaoticxchaotic Registered User
    Here's a tough one Ben: I just registered on PA, having followed you from Ars. I suspect this will be the case for many.
    I can also seen by Ken's response at Ars, that your departure is understood and you're not getting a lawsuit for twitter followers, like Noah Kravitz http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16338040.
    But I wonder what's your take on the value of your online persona - after all it is thanks to the exposure that Ars gave you, that you have been able to build your fame and following, also they have been paying for for that and now with your departure, they're losing traffic, subscribers etc
    A genuine, tough question - perhaps a parallel from Holywood would be welcome :)

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Drain wrote:
    Where's home base for you? I imagine you are not relocating to Seattle and can write from where ever you live. I'm sad to admit that you (and Ars Technica) weren't really on my radar until now.

    Edit: Welcome to PA btw :)

    Thanks for the welcome! I live in Cincinnati Ohio, and will continue to write from here for the next few years. I just travel extensively. I'm hopping on a plane to head to Seattle to do some PA work tomorrow, in fact.

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Stymie wrote:
    Ben,

    I've been a big fan of your work on Ars Technica. You haven't been afraid to confront issues in the gaming industry (e.g. Gran Turismo 5's horrid user experience). A couple questions:

    1) Will we still get to see an occasional Nerf review?

    2) Glad to hear you want to keep some indie games in the mix (I am a fellow lover of Adventures of Shuggy). How are you going to select what games (indie or otherwise) to cover? Is it based on personal interest? I am all for keeping coverage limited to legitimately interesting games (ex GIA staff, here).

    3) Due to having played Dark Souls to completion beforehand, I couldn't bring myself to really enjoy Skyrim as it felt like a clunky 10 year old game in comparison. This isn't a question, I just had to throw it out there.

    1) There is no way in hell I would stop doing Nerf and toy reviews. I get to shoot at my children with guns I get for free and it works towards earning me a paycheck. That's shit you don't just walk away from.

    2) Deciding what games to cover is tough, but it's usually just what games interest me, or seem to be doing something different, or have a unique story in them or behind them.

    3) Old Republic has taken me completely away from Skyrim, so don't fee bad.

  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is me proposing an idea or just asking you a question but...

    You're a writer who is now working for a very popular comic strip. Admittedly I don't know if you have any experience in writing for a comic, but have you ever dreamed of, thought about or expressed interest in writing a PA guest strip at some point in the future?

    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    xchaotic wrote:
    Here's a tough one Ben: I just registered on PA, having followed you from Ars. I suspect this will be the case for many.
    I can also seen by Ken's response at Ars, that your departure is understood and you're not getting a lawsuit for twitter followers, like Noah Kravitz http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16338040.
    But I wonder what's your take on the value of your online persona - after all it is thanks to the exposure that Ars gave you, that you have been able to build your fame and following, also they have been paying for for that and now with your departure, they're losing traffic, subscribers etc
    A genuine, tough question - perhaps a parallel from Holywood would be welcome :)

    I think I had a great relationship with Ars, and we both gave and took equal amounts, and it was incredibly important to me that I go someplace they respect and enjoy reading themselves. I don't expect them to lose traffic of subscribers, because Kyle Orland is a wonderful writer who is going to do a great job. Gaming will continue to be a huge part of Ars, but it will also change with someone else steering the ship. It's a healthy shakeup for both of us.

  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    Hey Ben,

    In the time since Diablo 3 has been officially announced, I've gotten engaged, married, and now have a kid coming in about six weeks, probably minimizing my ability to play the game at all.

    Can you find out who I need to sleep with at Blizzard so that they can put out a largely iterative game in under ten years?

    Steam
    Battle.net: Genesius#1379
    NNID: Genesius_Prime
  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    El Skid wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is me proposing an idea or just asking you a question but...

    You're a writer who is now working for a very popular comic strip. Admittedly I don't know if you have any experience in writing for a comic, but have you ever dreamed of, thought about or expressed interest in writing a PA guest strip at some point in the future?

    No, that's not really my thing, and Mike and Jerry do it so well it would be silly for me to jump in. My job is to expand the site's reach with coverage of games and the industry, not to really interact with the strip. Besides, I love the comic, and I enjoy being surprised three times a week just as much as you guys do. I'd rather still be a fan and stick to what I do best.

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Ceno wrote:
    Hey Ben,

    In the time since Diablo 3 has been officially announced, I've gotten engaged, married, and now have a kid coming in about six weeks, probably minimizing my ability to play the game at all.

    Can you find out who I need to sleep with at Blizzard so that they can put out a largely iterative game in under ten years?

    Maybe just show up and start throwing the team some handies. Couldn't hurt!

  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    If I'm not exactly a videogame news/opinions junkie and haven't really read your stuff, what articles of yours would you link me to so I could get a taste of Ben Kuchera's heart/soul/squishy innards?

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Jamison TrumpetsJamison Trumpets Registered User new member
    Congrats Ben.

    My question is regarding games now and what they have become. What do you think is really missing from most games nowadays that causes them to be incredibly unmemorable.

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    If I'm not exactly a videogame news/opinions junkie and haven't really read your stuff, what articles of yours would you link me to so I could get a taste of Ben Kuchera's heart/soul/squishy innards?

    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/12/our-favorite-gaming-stories-of-2011.ars

    I didn't write all the stories in that list, but I did edit them and put them together with the writers, and it shows the kind of thing I like doing. I hope that helps!

  • Ben KucheraBen Kuchera Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff staff
    Congrats Ben.

    My question is regarding games now and what they have become. What do you think is really missing from most games nowadays that causes them to be incredibly unmemorable.

    Human stories, full stop. The games that we remember are the ones with great characters, stories, or dialog.

  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Ben!

    I saw through your Twitter that Ian Bogost called the people at PA "manchild idiots," and that working with them was a waste of your talents.

    Can you tell him to fuck right off?

Sign In or Register to comment.