As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I don't feel healing surges are too "gamey" when you have characters like the Warlord who can restore hit points to other characters by essentially shouting "WALK IT OFF, PUSSY!"

like in a game where a dude can restore hit points to another dude without magic, then hit points are obviously representing resolve rather than injury, and thus healing surges don't really seem ridiculous.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yes, i agree

seeing wizards listen to the complaints about it being too gamey worries me

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I don't feel healing surges are too "gamey" when you have characters like the Warlord who can restore hit points to other characters by essentially shouting "WALK IT OFF, PUSSY!"

like in a game where a dude can restore hit points to another dude without magic, then hit points are obviously representing resolve rather than injury, and thus healing surges don't really seem ridiculous.

bingo

hp never really represented actual health

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Healing surges to me felt like Wizards admitting that HP didn't actually mean anything. That and the bloodied condition, which I always took as more a first wound tham anything.

Which actually makes the idea of duels in D&D kind of neat, because you go to first bloodied, not first to score any kind of hit (which is ridiculously easily done)

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Yeah I always used HP as sort of a vague gradient of how worn out and beat-up the characters felt rather than any kind of serious physical injury.

4e's designation of Bloodied I interpreted as when actual cuts and injuries started showing up.

The example I used to use when explaining how I felt about D&D's HP system is the sword duel from Rob Roy

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Now I actually want to have friendly duels in D&D.

If only the game had good rudimentary firearms so I could do a renaissance styled game.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Now I actually want to have friendly duels in D&D.

If only the game had good rudimentary firearms so I could do a renaissance styled game.

pathfinder has a gunslinger class!

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Yeah I always used HP as sort of a vague gradient of how worn out and beat-up the characters felt rather than any kind of serious physical injury.

4e's designation of Bloodied I interpreted as when actual cuts and injuries started showing up.

The example I used to use when explaining how I felt about D&D's HP system is the sword duel from Rob Roy

Yeah HP (and AC and all that, come to think of it) have been really abstract since the beginning, and it's probably best to think of it as a sort of scale of exhaustion where cuts and grazes and bruises and near-misses eventually add up to the point that you finally get a proper wound

I've seen DMs have creatures/powers that sap healing surges, representing them eating away at sanity and resolve and the urge to keep going, which I definitely liked

That said I felt really ganged up upon for hating starting with 2HP as a damn wizard in earlier editions

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Can someone get me a list of all of the races now available in 4e?

Not like, monster races, just properly fleshed out ones.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

According to Gary Gygax, hit points in D&D were specifically meant to evoke the duel between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in The Adventures of Robin Hood. (Though, that might have been an after-the-fact justification for how the system works, since hit points in the first version of D&D were directly derived from unit strength in the Chainmail wargame that presaged it.)

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I support healing surges because they are just as ridiculous as hit points

Mutants and Masterminds has a fantastic health system

I heart it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My favorite health system is d20 Moderns/Star Wars d20.

I love the vitality/wound system.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Dubh wrote: »

I heart it

Well, yes

I have systems that I like, but D&D is

Well

Standard

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I heart it

Well, yes

I have systems that I like, but D&D is

Well

Standard

I suppose that's why people are still talking about, despite the casual revulsion I'm seeing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    I started work on my rock and roll campaign setting again. Not trying to do the band stuff this time, just kind of tinkering around with it as a fun setting to write. Current race/genre list:
    Punk- Tiefling
    Blues- Dwarves
    Avant-Garde/Pomo/Art- Eladrin
    Glam- Elves, Goblins
    Glam Metal- Drow
    Metal- Orcs, Ogres, Giants, etc
    Folk- Halflings
    R&B/Rap- Dragonborn
    Jazz- Gnomes
    Pop- Human
    Trance- Eladrin
    Techno- Warforged
    Grunge- Mul

Changed a bit of the backstory too, instead of the original King being human, he is so mythic that nobody knows what he was, and every race tries to claim him as their forefather.

Current major world figures

Bowie, the Stardust King, Lord of the Elves and Goblins

Mad Empress Ono, the Eladrin ex-wife of dead King John

Frederick von Mercure, the lost half-elven epic hero

Prince Kanye, the flame spitting dragonborn of the Western deserts

Hetfield and Ulrich, Orcish warlords of the Metal Tongue

I am intrigued

Is there a Marley, or a Hendrix (which already sounds like a fantasy name)

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Not yet.

It is just a fun way to build a setting, the way I figure it. It spawns some great ideas.

Dylan, the eternal wandering halfling

I should probably get a separate race for country

I don't think I can deal with Johnny the Black being a halfling

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Straightzi. I am so stealing some of that for my next one-shot later this year.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    I don't think I can deal with Johnny the Black being a halfling

Ahahahah

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can someone get me a list of all of the races now available in 4e?

Not like, monster races, just properly fleshed out ones.

"Player" released races (races that have been released in anything that isn't considered a DM's sourcebook):
    Bladeling, Changeling, Deva, Dragonborn, Drow, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Genasi, Githzerai, Gnome, Goliath, Halfelf, Halfling, Halforc, Hamadryad, Hengeyokai, Human, Kalashtar, Kobold, Minotaur, Mul, Pixie, Revenant, Satyr, Shadar-kai, Shade, Shardmind, Shifter, Thri-kreen, Tiefling, Vryloka, Warforged, Wilden
    34 total

Races by Ability Score pairings.
    Str/Con - 5 Dwarf, Goliath, Minotaur, Mul, Warforged

Str/Dex - 2 Halforc, Thri-kreen

Str/Int - 1 Genasi

Str/Wis - 3 Goliath, Minotaur, Shifter

Str/Cha - 2 Dragonborn, Vryloka

Con/Dex - 4 Halfling, Halforc, Kobold, Revenant

Con/Int - 2 Genasi, Warforged

Con/Wis - 4 Dwarf, Half-elf, Mul, Wilden

Con/Cha - 5 Dragonborn, Half-elf, Kobold, Satyr, Tiefling

Dex/Int - 5 Eladrin, Elf, Gnome, Pixie, Shadar-kai

Dex/Wis - 9 Bladeling, Drow, Elf, Githzerai, Hengeyokai, Shadar-kai, Shifter, Thri-kreen, Wilden

Dex/Cha - 9 Changeling, Drow, Halfling, Hengeyokai, Revenant, Pixie, Satyr, Shade, Vryloka

Int/Wis - 4 Deva, Githzerai, Hamadryad, Shardmind

Int/Cha - 8 Changeling, Eladrin, Gnome, Hamadryad, Kalashtar, Shade, Shardmind, Tiefling

Wis/Cha - 3 Deva, Hamadryad, Kalashtar

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Oh sweet that fills me out

I had most of them

Maybe country will be minotaurs

Although I was gonna have them be a background part of the hordes before

Math metal, probably

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm so stoked guys. Buddy of mine is running a Gamma world game here in a couple months and the base of the story is "Oregon Trail in Gamma World". He is inventing up diseases and stuff. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm so stoked guys. Buddy of mine is running a Gamma world game here in a couple months and the base of the story is "Oregon Trail in Gamma World". He is inventing up diseases and stuff. Can't wait to see what he comes up with.

oh...my...g

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »

According to Gary Gygax, hit points in D&D were specifically meant to evoke the duel between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in The Adventures of Robin Hood. (Though, that might have been an after-the-fact justification for how the system works, since hit points in the first version of D&D were directly derived from unit strength in the Chainmail wargame that presaged it.)

Yeah, it was one of those things where in the beginning it was specifically meant to be an abstract measure of guts, luck, etc. I've even seen one really amazing angry letter Gygax wrote to White Dwarf in response a guy who was complaining about how unrealistic it was.

But then time went on, and sometime between 2 and 3E it became a strict measure of how many pints of blood you've lost and 1HP was now the point where your entrails were hanging out of your torso and your limbs were barely connected to your body by a few threads of sinew.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i'm once again trying to think, what would a 4e arcane archer be? i'm thinking right now the hunter with bladesinger like abilities instead of primal stances.

That or a slightly reflavored Seeker.

I added some more genres. No idea what races to use:
    Funk
    Reggae
    Country
    Rockabilly

The following races are available, I guess. I don't really know Shardminds or Wilden at all.
    Shifters
    Genasi
    Wilden
    Changelings
    Goliath
    Githzerai
    Minotaur
    Shardmind
    Kalashtar
    Thri Kreen

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    So much of this mousebook left to read jfc

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Straightzi, I've got some ideas. Let me formulate them and then present them.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Shardmind could be Prog. Or Genasi.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    I think genasi are taking indie and minotaurs country.

Goliaths may take funk, just because I like the image.

I just read up on shardmind and wilden

Those are both weird as shit

Kind of want to give wilden reggae or psychadelic

I am considering making some of the big punk icons actually demons, not just tieflings

Which would make some big hip hop names real dragons too I guess

edited April 2012
    Straightzi, just looking at what you have I would probably doing something like this (mind you I am not familiar with 4E at all…)

The CORE
    Humans: Rock & Roll/Pop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americana_(music) ); This comes across as the classic field of music burrowing from the American tradition. It's safe, popular and steeped in whatever the culture is currently going through (mimicking how short-sighted Humans are within a lot of campaigns compared to other longer-lived/ancient races).
    Dwarves: Blues-inspired Country (http://www.allmusic.com/album/music-of-coal-mining-songs-from-the-appalachian-coalfields-r1214368 ); This is the music of the working man, the man who's life is hard & tough. It has elements of the blues in it but primarily has a lot of country aspects sharing the struggles of working the mountains.
    Elves: Glam Pop/Hair Metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_rock ); The most explosive and exciting music, capturing Elves natural affinity for arcane might. A lot of this music is egotistic, which pulls from a lot of people's preconceptions about Elves in D&D being full of themselves.
    Gnomes: Acid Jazz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Jazz ); Jazz works really well with the gnomes as it is high energy and the expansion into the sub-group of Acid Jazz tags along the Gnomes affinity for alchemy, technology and magic. This music is about exploring life in optimistic ways, an outlook I feel reflective of Gnomes.
    Halflings: Irish Folk-Style Classical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music_of_Ireland ): This burrows from the "gypsy"-flavor thrown onto Halflings but gives them a greater identity within the music world. The songs serve as historical records and really goes along with a nomadic people like the Halflings.

The EXPANDED
    Orcs, Ogres, Giants, ect…: Heavy Metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music ); Masculine and mean, this style is in your face & agressive (a great feature for monstrous creatures).
    Undead: Death Metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal ); Thematically this just works on a lot of levels.
    Constructs, Warforged, ect..: Techno & Dubstep ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep ); Thematically (like the Undead & Death Metal) this works really well with the machine-nature of these races.
    Tieflings, Demons/Devils, ect…: Dance-Pop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance-pop ); This one takes some flavorful explanation but dance-pop can be all about seduction, temptation and corrupting the soul. Popping club drugs while grinding on a stranger just seems in-tune with the objectives of vile outsiders...
    Kalastar/Psionic-Creatures: Arabic-Style Ambient Music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_music); Taking elements from sci-fi soundtracks (like Dune or Farscape) this is calm, cerebral music which goes well with psionics.
    Shifters/Were-creatures/Fey: Native American style-tribal music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_music); Thematically this just works on a lot of levels.
    Aasimars/Celestial Creatures: Operatic Ballads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballad); Large-scale beautiful music singing about romanticism and other noble things. I felt this was a better, and more respectful, music group than just tacking on Christian Rock.
    Minotaurs: African-style music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Africa): Thematically I feel this works well.

So, they are a bit different from what you have, but that's what I thought might work well.

Zonugal on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Elves would probably listen to trance

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    eladrin would probably be trance more then elves, elves should be more like, ocean sounds.

fuckin' hippies.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Thrikreenstep

This discussion has been closed.