As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Paladin's are holy warriors, in my view, and that's not really how magic works in Shadowrun. There's not really any divine sources of magic, though some believe their magic is divinely sourced.

That said, one way you could do it would be to play a mage who uses religion as their technique. I believe there are some archetypes along those lines. Then take spells which augment that theme, such as offensive fire spells (to fit the theme of cleansing flames), spells which improve your own physical abilities such as Armour, and the ability to summon spirits that fit your idea like Guardian spirits (you might even be able to use them as a mount!)

It could be done. There's not really going to be a smite evil type power available to you, though, because morality in Shadowrun doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way. Your smiting power would likely work regardless of what your target has been up to.

that sounds more like cleric.

paladins tend to be more knights on a mission from Gad. which is where mystic adept comes in, in theory, the problem is adepts aren't very good in current shadowrun, and mystic adepts are even worse.

i guess a magician with like a 3 in magic instead of going whole hog might work. high body for high armour.

I guess i might be able to work something out. street magic does have traditions that suggest stuff.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    We are getting away from the question I asked you guys. How the hell do I make a workable, perks/powers/class based skillful encounter system for my homebrew thing?

I haven't been saying anything because i have no usable ideas.

Basically, play test it a bunch and work from player feed back. you seem to have some solidly formed ideas, see how to work outside of a vacuum

yeah...I spose. This was really the first time I've talked about it with people who aren't me. Actually got some usable ideas.

Cemented in my mind that I need buff class perks at least for social encounters, and now I have the pointbuy variant to think of...I'll see what works, I guess.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    F...uck, I think you need to first define what "skills" are better. The way I see it you have already defined "Combat Skills" and "Social Skills" and are just kind of assuming everything that's left over fits together.

Protip: it doesn't.

You need to split up skills more. Have something for your knowledge based skills and something for your physical based skills, maybe.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Paladin's are holy warriors, in my view, and that's not really how magic works in Shadowrun. There's not really any divine sources of magic, though some believe their magic is divinely sourced.

That said, one way you could do it would be to play a mage who uses religion as their technique. I believe there are some archetypes along those lines. Then take spells which augment that theme, such as offensive fire spells (to fit the theme of cleansing flames), spells which improve your own physical abilities such as Armour, and the ability to summon spirits that fit your idea like Guardian spirits (you might even be able to use them as a mount!)

It could be done. There's not really going to be a smite evil type power available to you, though, because morality in Shadowrun doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way. Your smiting power would likely work regardless of what your target has been up to.

paladins tend to be more knights on a mission from Gad. which is where mystic adept comes in, in theory, the problem is adepts aren't very good in current shadowrun, and mystic adepts are even worse.

i guess a magician with like a 3 in magic instead of going whole hog might work. high body for high armour.

I guess i might be able to work something out. street magic does have traditions that suggest stuff.

I've played Mystic Adepts, and while it can be hard to making a starting character feel tough and competent, after time and XP you certainly increase in ability a lot. Mystic Adepts are the long-run guys who benefit massively from being surviving characters in long-play games. If you can make them work, then they become awesome good (I had a Mystic Adept with a Magic of 8, split equally between the two areas, and he was pretty goddamn deadly).

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alright, it is looking like I'm making tieflings/punk my de facto pirates for this setting, which I am pretty cool with. They have a volcanic archipelago they control (loosely) and the central volcano is rumored to be a portal to Hell.

My question is, who should have possessed these islands first? I am considering the elves, but I'm not sure if I want elves and tieflings set up as mortal foes or anything. It would give me some nice remaining glam and alternative (half elves) on the islands, but I'm just not sure.

Straightzi wrote: »
    F...uck, I think you need to first define what "skills" are better. The way I see it you have already defined "Combat Skills" and "Social Skills" and are just kind of assuming everything that's left over fits together.

You need to split up skills more. Have something for your knowledge based skills and something for your physical based skills, maybe.

hmmm...

I will think on this

Fire Truck wrote: »

hmmm...

I will think on this

It seems to me a lot of your ways of testing skills are related stylistically to the skills. Combat is a wargame, social is poker, maybe sleight of hand and thief stuff should be like Jenga, Dread style (this also gets more difficult the longer you do it, which would be neat). You could do the same with athletic skills too. Knowledges I have less of an idea for.

I've played Mystic Adepts, and while it can be hard to making a starting character feel tough and competent, after time and XP you certainly increase in ability a lot. Mystic Adepts are the long-run guys who benefit massively from being surviving characters in long-play games. If you can make them work, then they become awesome good (I had a Mystic Adept with a Magic of 8, split equally between the two areas, and he was pretty goddamn deadly).

i thought magic capped out at 7, though i guess if improved attribute works for it.

Adepts never really caught my interest to much to be honest, since most of the augments end up outclassing it pretty quickly. they end up capped out about the same, but cyberware get syou there quicker. and when in a dangerous field being the best fast kind of matters.

Also there's no adept power for guns in your arms.

Magic doesn't cap out

you just have to be, whats the word

Initiated

that's it

he had a couple of levels of initiation and therefore could go up to magic eight

The only reason his Initiation wasn't higher was because his master was dead and that made him basically the boss dude of the assassin society that he had joined

except that pretty much all the other assassins were dead, which kind of sucked

he could still use their resources and secret ninja base and so on though

I was going to use it as a base for creating a black ops team for the small mercenary corporation that the group could set up

but never got around to it

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Also my campaign setting has yielded me Black Francis, tiefling rogue and captain of the pirate ship Pixie, crewed by his first mate, Kim Deal the air genasi psion, Santiago the tiefling artificer, and D. Lovering the half elven swordmage.

Stealing this, too.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    also most the power gaming stories i hear are from white wolf games.

or people trying to break 3.x on purpose.

Oh fuck yes, god WoD'ers can be the most ridiculous munchkins you'll ever see. "I can [insert discipline, sphere, or other supernatural power trait here] the fuck out anybody! But...that's really all I can do. I also can drive. During the day. Under 35 MPH."

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    well these are all anecdotes

but generally, in my experience, nobody power games in anything half as badly in DnD

Optimization is a DnD thing as well

it's weird (and awful, and the RPGing world would be better if it didn't exist, but whatever)

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    One of the most attractive things about the Burning Wheel system to me is that min-maxing is a really bad idea. You want broad competence which you can increase through play, rather than very high initial values in a narrow specialty. A combat monster character probably isn't getting much better at combat unless they take on incredibly difficult opponents, which would be really dangerous to everyone.

The end result is that you CAN min-max, but your character will have noticeable, painful weaknesses, and probably won't grow as quickly as a more well-rounded character.

The other attractive thing is that it's a classless system which allows your character to learn through doing instead of through investing points according to a plan.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    well these are all anecdotes

but generally, in my experience, nobody power games in anything half as badly in DnD

Optimization is a DnD thing as well

it's weird (and awful, and the RPGing world would be better if it didn't exist, but whatever)

Yeah, D&D has powergamers and optimizers. WoD, on the other hand, has straight up min/maxers. They absolutely maximize their character to do a few things extremely, extremely well, and then put only the barest of points required in any other areas.

Of course the worst offenders are the social monkeys. The ones who are all built up to seduce/carouse/intimidate anybody, any time, any place, guaranteed in 30 minutes or less or its free, but as soon as a fight breaks out they run because they can't even through a punch.

That'd be cool if it was only an occasional thing, but when half a werewolf pack does it? The fuck....

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited May 2012
    To be honest, though

it's always easy to fuck someone over if they do that

social character can dominate any situation

haha, sorry, you got ambushed on the way to get some milk from the corner shop. Defend yourself, sonny jim.

Combat character that can kill anyone? That's nice, I'd like to see you claw your way through these immaterial enemies who can't be damaged with physical attacks.

DnD tends to be about creating challenges of a specific level, an "encounter" if you will. In WoD, it doesn't work in the same way. And if my players min-max, then I present them with nasty problems. They know it, so they don't do it.

But to be honest, it rarely happened even before that, just on a few rare occasions, as opposed to with DnD where people just cannot help themselves but start to think about effective builds and so on.

I think it's the level system, myself. You have limited, structured resources and choices, so you start to think "what is the best one?" if things are more freeform and limitless, you can take anything, so you tend to take what you feel like, rather than what is effective. Especially as you don't need to have a certain amount of capability for your level. In DnD, being able to fulfill your party role effectively is necessary, because the challenges are set to your level. In WoD, they aren't, so you can be as ineffective as you like.

Solar on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Stop being tsundere the opposite of a good noodle, solar

Kill all classes

freedom for all PCs!

Solar, for someone who keeps banging the "let people do whatever they like!" drum, you sure are quick to tell us that no game should have classes ever if it wants to be "good."

IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

Kill all classes

freedom for all PCs!

Solar, for someone who keeps banging the "let people do whatever they like!" drum, you sure are quick to tell us that no game should have classes ever if it wants to be "good."

Do as I say, not as I do

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Kill all classes

freedom for all PCs!

Do as I say, not as I do

Or how about I just ignore your silly crusade and enjoy my classes?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif

Kill all classes

freedom for all PCs!

Do as I say, not as I do

Or how about I just ignore your silly crusade and enjoy my classes?

Just let me ineffectually shake my fist at my monitor screen, first

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Gonna enjoy my hypothetical transformers and mass effect tabletop games with classes

Gonna do it

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »

hmmm...

I will think on this

It seems to me a lot of your ways of testing skills are related stylistically to the skills. Combat is a wargame, social is poker, maybe sleight of hand and thief stuff should be like Jenga, Dread style (this also gets more difficult the longer you do it, which would be neat). You could do the same with athletic skills too. Knowledges I have less of an idea for.

Maybe memory/word/logic/number games, with powers representing hints and tricks along the way.

Which, thinking this over, I'm really developing a fondness for this idea of an RPG built out of much smaller parlour games.

Gonna enjoy my hypothetical transformers and mass effect tabletop games with classes

Gonna do it

From the internet, I curse thee!

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Actually long term adepts will always eventually outclass street sams/cyber characters with augments. Adepts can always add more powers by initiating which has no cap. While Essence is hard capped and the best you can do is upgrade your implants to deltaware.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    Fishman wrote: »
    Also my campaign setting has yielded me Black Francis, tiefling rogue and captain of the pirate ship Pixie, crewed by his first mate, Kim Deal the air genasi psion, Santiago the tiefling artificer, and D. Lovering the half elven swordmage.

Stealing this, too.

The full story of the history of tieflings, as it stands.

Long ago in the nation of Cartney, a warlock named McClaren tried to open a portal into Hell. And, for that matter, succeeded. A rag tag team of adventurers quickly defeated him and closed this portal, but not before a few demons escaped, taking on human guises and finding their way into the outside world. These demons rapidly ingratiated themselves with the local population, and soon young mothers found themselves giving birth to foully deformed children, with the fathers already long gone.

Cast out, if not outright killed, these children formed into loose bands of outlaws and thieves, living in the dark of the forests or the shadows of the city streets. A few notable individual groups of bandits arose, including the Ramone family, three children who allegedly killed and ate their own parents, and then lived in a world of primitivism in the woods, and the Sex Bolts, an urban gang led by Johnny the Rotten. However, they mostly lived separate from one another, constantly trying to keep one step ahead of the law.

This all changed with the arrival of Joseph "The Strummer" Mellor. A tiefling who could pass for shockingly human, he united a great number of his people, forming a rebellious guerilla army in the nation of Cartney. However, when Cartney began receiving aid from nearby Harristonia, the Strummer and his troops retreated to the shore, and, commandeering a number of boats, fled by sea to the elven colony of Discos, a small volcanic archipelago.

It was here that The Strummer established his capitol city of Inoculos, and here that city stands today. The islands are occupied primarily by tieflings, who perform a good deal of piracy by sea and demand a wide berth be kept from them, but also have significant populations of elves, half-elves, humans, goblins, and thri-kreen, who were being used as a native slave race on one of the islands. Government in Inoculos and the surrounding islands is weak at best, its inhabitants espousing a sort of anarchism, and it is rumored that one of the larger volcanoes is a direct portal into Hell, explaining the growing tiefling population.

The Pixie is notable amongst other pirate ships for being an airship, as designed by its artificer Santiago, and capable of travelling both upon the waves and lifting off into the sky. While previous airships had been constructed, most notably the fortress-like Lead Dirigible, none have been as fast moving, mobile, and adaptable as the Pixie, making it ideal for piracy.

Theidar wrote: »
    Actually long term adepts will always eventually outclass street sams/cyber characters with augments. Adepts can always add more powers by initiating which has no cap. While Essence is hard capped and the best you can do is upgrade your implants to deltaware.

Right, but you're paying tons more for it in the end, and takes you more time, where as the cyber guy gets there up to the max faster.

There's a moral lesson in there, i guess. but unless you're planning to play for years cyberware is the better route.

I'm beginning to think that 60 years of recorded history is kind of not a lot for a campaign world

I guess I could dilate time but there are some human characters that I would like to still be alive who were around pretty early in the beginning (mostly Ringo Starr, I think)

My natural impulse is to make it go from 60 to 600

There could still be like elves and eladrin from the beginning still alive, but humans, halflings, minotaurs, gnomes, and even dwarves would be stretching things

I guess the Starr family and the Cartney family could be dynasties

And Dylan the Wandering Halfling may have stumbled onto immortality

Does anyone have any ideas here?

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Theidar wrote: »

Right, but you're paying tons more for it in the end, and takes you more time, where as the cyber guy gets there up to the max faster.

There's a moral lesson in there, i guess. but unless you're planning to play for years cyberware is the better route.

Well I've played a couple multi-year campaigns, for instance our longest running campaign was 4 years at the end my friend had an adept that Initiated 5 times who could just slaughter squads of regular cyber opponents and could hold his own against a cyber-zombie and my character was a Combat Mage who Initiated 6 times. Do you know what a hermetic mage can do with a Magic rating of 12? We ended up retiring those characters and starting a new story. (This was in 3rd edition so rules were a little different than now, if we want to be technical)

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    Does that character builder thing still work? Is that still a thing?

I don't think I have it on this computer anymore, it's been a long time since I played regularly.

But I'd kind of like to stat out some of the characters I'm writing.

I don't think I have it on this computer anymore, it's been a long time since I played regularly.

there is no real means of obtaining the offline character builder.

Legend has it that it's still out there, and that something awful keeps it up to date, but all who walk that path are sworn to secrecy.

Legend has it that it's still out there, and that something awful keeps it up to date, but all who walk that path are sworn to secrecy.

Wait it is online now?

I have really been out of the loop.

Wait it is online now?

I have really been out of the loop.

There is an online one now, yes. it uses silverlgiht and eats up a ton of bandwidth, last i checked it was crashy as shit, but very pretty. if functionally useless. also the data is clearly just pasted on images of the character sheet.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    When I do my rock'n'roll fantasy pastiche...

...the first adventure....

...will be ending the Beiber Heresy... permanently.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    When I do my rock'n'roll fantasy pastiche...

...the first adventure....

...will be ending the Beiber Heresy... permanently.

And as his cursed corpse drifts away as a green ash on the wind, the true foes are revealed. His masters and forbears, the dirge princes of the Shrieking Edge, the gibbering harbingers of madness, The Brothers Jonas.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    kaorti wrote: »
    One of the most attractive things about the Burning Wheel system to me is that min-maxing is a really bad idea. You want broad competence which you can increase through play, rather than very high initial values in a narrow specialty. A combat monster character probably isn't getting much better at combat unless they take on incredibly difficult opponents, which would be really dangerous to everyone.

The end result is that you CAN min-max, but your character will have noticeable, painful weaknesses, and probably won't grow as quickly as a more well-rounded character.

The other attractive thing is that it's a classless system which allows your character to learn through doing instead of through investing points according to a plan.

I really WANT to get into Burning Wheel. I've liked every bit of the rules I've heard about so far; it seems like exactly my level of complexity, and exactly the sorts of gameplay goals I'm looking for. But the lack of a PDF rulebook, and the creator's repeated insistence that my wanting a PDF rulebook means I'm playing the wrong game and am not good enough for his precious game, is a real dealbreaker for me.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to think that 60 years of recorded history is kind of not a lot for a campaign world

I guess I could dilate time but there are some human characters that I would like to still be alive who were around pretty early in the beginning (mostly Ringo Starr, I think)

There could still be like elves and eladrin from the beginning still alive, but humans, halflings, minotaurs, gnomes, and even dwarves would be stretching things

Well it's a setting what's got magic in it. Figure there's a fair deal of ways to keep someone kicking with just a bit of oddness.

For Ringo, admittedly, I'd want the explanation to be "he just is. Top magicians say it's 'kind of weird'.".

But yeah. 60 years isn't that long in human terms. For long lived species, it's nothing.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

Well it's a setting what's got magic in it. Figure there's a fair deal of ways to keep someone kicking with just a bit of oddness.

For Ringo, admittedly, I'd want the explanation to be "he just is. Top magicians say it's 'kind of weird'.".

But yeah. 60 years isn't that long in human terms. For long lived species, it's nothing.

Yeah, I feel like Ringo Starr should just be some sort of bizarre fixed point in the universe, that no one can explain, nor particularly cares to. And anyone who confronts him on the matter is immediately diffused by his incredible politeness.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I wrote a song about an octopus!

This discussion has been closed.