As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »
    My suggestion is to just not be constantly obsessed about finding a girlfriend.

But...I'm not?

I feel like I shouldn't have to explain all this because it seems like it is common sense. I'm a happy single dude the majority of the time. There are times when I wish I were seeing someone, but not so much that I'll leap out and chase down any single girl I see. Mostly, I think it would be really nice to date someone, but it isn't a necessity in my life. I talk about it often because I'm going through the "I'm so close to dating but not dating" stage where it is confusing and talking it out is probably a good idea.

I can only honestly form opinions/advice based on what's posted here, so if you're sincerely happy most of the time, that's fine. It just that it seems like, this being your topic of choice for the past week or so, and the frequent lamenting over the lack of single ladies in your area, I don't know, I guess I feel like that counts as obsession (???). And it doesn't really sound like you're "close to dating", since she already said you're not dating.

I guess I'm just confused as to why this is so tumultuous for you.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I meant- from the way things were going with the girl, and some of the things she was saying- it felt like we were on the verge of dating.

And this whole thing has been extremely drawn out on her end. Two steps forward, two steps back, kind of a thing.

It's a big deal for me because I haven't dated anyone so I was excited about dating someone.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Putting your girl problems on the forums when you don't want to be told to stop obsessing over girls is probably a bad idea.

Got my sister to play both journey and minecraft today. I feel like a good person.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yes, bring her into the fold. Soon all will be enthralled by the blocks.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Putting your girl problems on the forums when you don't want to be told to stop obsessing over girls is probably a bad idea.

Got my sister to play both journey and minecraft today. I feel like a good person.

gj

Now get her involved in IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    My sister usually likes plot driven games (Oblivion, Mass effect, Skyrim, Dragon age..) she liked journey, I dont know if she'll stay into minecraft though.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Iruka wrote: »

I've got to vent some how. Even if know it is stupid it is better to tell someone than no one. Bottling things up does no good for anyone, most of all the person doing the bottling. Doing it (mostly) anonymously where it can easily be ignored seems better than a lot of other options.

Plus I'd hoped for a little advice beyond "stop obsessing"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod

Hey, I provided a fool-proof plan on acquiring a girlfriend.

• Options
    Grifter wrote: »

Hey, I provided a fool-proof plan on acquiring a girlfriend.
    That is quite true, I'm sorry I forgot :D

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    And I backed it up with a video outlining the logic behind Grifter's plan.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I am entertained. Tell me more about your miseries, wretched humans. Let me dine upon your malcontent.
    /Emotional Vampire

Totoro
    is actually my least favorite of Miyazaki's things. It has some neat stuff, but it felt like the plot was thrown together haphazardly with no real lesson or purpose to it (at least, compared to his other works). I had a similar problem with Spirited Away, it was pretty but I didn't really feel the narrative was strongly tied together.

My favorite was always Laputa, Castle in the Sky but I can't honestly say that it's because its a great move so much as its a great movie filled with Airships. I've always thought Howl's Moving Castle or Nausicca had the most internally coherent plot.

Man, I don't agree with this at all!

WE'RE ENEMIES NOW @ENC

I HATE YOU

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    I am entertained. Tell me more about your miseries, wretched humans. Let me dine upon your malcontent.
    /Emotional Vampire

Totoro
    is actually my least favorite of Miyazaki's things. It has some neat stuff, but it felt like the plot was thrown together haphazardly with no real lesson or purpose to it (at least, compared to his other works). I had a similar problem with Spirited Away, it was pretty but I didn't really feel the narrative was strongly tied together.

My favorite was always Laputa, Castle in the Sky but I can't honestly say that it's because its a great move so much as its a great movie filled with Airships. I've always thought Howl's Moving Castle or Nausicca had the most internally coherent plot.

Man, I don't agree with this at all!

WE'RE ENEMIES NOW @ENC

I HATE YOU

YOUR OPINIONS ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD

In all seriousness, what is the take away from Totoro supposed to be? Sometimes a big thing is the woods will give you a free bus ride to visit your mom? Spirited Away's message of self reliance was clear enough, though the dragon stuff sort of came out of nowhere:
    Oh hey! You're a dragon and also a river that I once drowned in.
    Yeah but I saved you!
    Cool, that's great, How have you been lately?
    Oh, I died when they drained the river!
    Awesome!

Just didn't really buy it.

• Options

Well, aside from my useless asshole advice, you've gotten a lot of sincere, insightful feedback. Hopefully I'm misinterpreting that you're disregarding all of that.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Whoa

someone not liking totoro is way worse than using the SILLY GOOSE term Friendzoned

200full.jpg

Kochikens on
  • Options
    I like the movie, I just don't think it's Miyazaki's strongest at all. Visually it's amazing. Cat buses are the way of the future.

• Options
    It depends on what you like. I recently bullied Chico into watching a fuckload of Ghibli movies and there really is a huge variation just in the themes and style and action of each of them.

• Options
    Very true. I'm a big fan of a coherent narrative, so it's probably why I'm not as much of a fan as those two as they were less about telling a story and more about images and feelings.

Did you guys watch Grave of the Fireflies?

• Options
    Fugitive wrote: »

Well, aside from my useless asshole advice, you've gotten a lot of sincere, insightful feedback. Hopefully I'm misinterpreting that you're disregarding all of that.

I was mostly referring to the comments that I'd gotten in the last day or so that were making a lot of assumptions...

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Whoa

someone not liking totoro is way worse than using the douche-bag term Friendzoned

I don't particularly know or care what your hang up about the term is but I'd appreciate you not calling me a douche-bag in a round about way.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I agree with Roger Ebert on this one:
    ''My Neighbor Totoro'' is based on experience, situation and exploration--not on conflict and threat. This becomes clear in the lovely extended sequences involving totoros--which are not mythological Japanese forest creatures, but were actually invented by Miyazaki just for this movie.

Little Mei finds the first baby totoro, which looks like a bunny, scurrying around their yard, and follows it into the forest. Her father, home alone and absorbed in his work, doesn't notice her absence. The baby leads her down a leafy green tunnel and then there's a soft landing on the stomach of a vast slumbering creature. Miyazaki doesn't exploit cliches about the dark and fearsome forest; when Setsuki and her father go looking for Mei, they find her without much trouble--sleeping on the ground, for the totoro has disappeared.

Later, the girls go to meet their father's bus. But the hour grows late and the woods grow dark. Silently, casually, the giant totoro joins them at the bus stop, standing protectively to one side like an imaginary friend. It begins to rain. The girls have umbrellas, and give one to the totoro, who is delighted by the raindrops on the umbrella, and jumps up and down to shake loose a cascade of drops from the trees. Then the bus arrives. Notice how calmly and positively the scene has been handled, with the night and the forest treated as a situation, not a threat. The movie requires no villains. I am reminded that ''Winnie the Pooh'' also originally had no evil characters--but that in its new American version evil weasels have been written into A. A. Milne's benign world.

There are two family emergencies: A visit to the hospital to visit their mother, who wants to hear all about their new house, and another occasion when Setsuki gets a call from the doctor and needs to contact her father in the city. In both scenes, the mother's illness is treated as a fact of life, not as a tragedy sure to lead to doom.

There is none of the kids-against-adults plotting of American films. The family is seen as a safe, comforting haven. The father is reasonable, insightful and tactful, accepts stories of strange creatures, trusts his girls, listens to explanations with an open mind. It lacks those dreary scenes where a parent misinterprets a well-meaning action and punishes it unfairly.

I'm afraid that in praising the virtues of ''My Neighbor Totoro'' I have made it sound merely good for you, but it would never have won its worldwide audience just because of its warm heart. It is also rich with human comedy in the way it observes the two remarkably convincing, lifelike little girls (I speak of their personalities, not their appearance). It is awe-inspiring in the scenes involving the totoro, and enchanting in the scenes with the Cat Bus. It is a little sad, a little scary, a little surprising and a little informative, just like life itself. It depends on a situation instead of a plot, and suggests that the wonder of life and the resources of imagination supply all the adventure you need.

• Options
    That's pretty accurate!

@Rolo, we agree on this lets be best internet friend pen pals and stop this feud before it makes this into a conflict rather than a situation.

• Options
    Fine, i've edited it to Silly Goose.

Yeah, that's a good review of Totoro. Some people just don't like lower key movies, that's fine. It's like, um, Whisper of the Heart.

• Options
    I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen asleep while watching Laputa more times than I can count. Mostly because I always put it on after dinner and it's like a 4 hour movie and I'm so old and sleepy due to this curse I got (wait, wrong film).

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    YOU TOO CAN WIN A CONTEST THAT GIVES YOU ALMOST NO MONEY WHILE A COMPANY TAKES ALL YOUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!

Count me in!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    We should have left it open and posted jokes in it. Like that legendary sandwich thread that old-time AC'ers will remember.

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Can't remember if it was here or on Something Awful, but someone did the whole "free publicity for art" topic. I remember it involving an MS Paint drawing of a heart, and instead of locking the thread many people posted joke submissions. It was brilliant!

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Man, the sandwich thread. That was possibly the greatest thing ever.

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I know it's an insult to the trade, but I would do free art for celebrities I like or people who could offer legitimate promotional value. But generally those people are the first who just want a clean transaction and offer money.

Rappers get at me about how I'll blow up after working for them because of their huge fanbase, then I check and they have like 1/10th of my Twitter follower count. I know that's not a definitive measure, but not a good sign either.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Fine, i've edited it to Silly Goose.

It's less the wording, more the judgmental condescension.
    I get that you feel good about yourself every time you speak out against the phrase and that if everyone would just see relationships your way, we'd all see what pathetic losers we once were and would cease to be such pathetic losers.
    Why else would you wedge that bit of passive aggression in while shifting gears, if not to have the final word on the matter? If a person not liking Totoro were so important, there would be no reason for such awkward posturing.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Are you kidding? It's a goddamn e-penis contest.
    e: that was aimed at Trip

Mayday on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    wahay wrote: »
    Can't remember if it was here or on Something Awful, but someone did the whole "free publicity for art" topic. I remember it involving an MS Paint drawing of a heart, and instead of locking the thread many people posted joke submissions. It was brilliant!

It was here, I remember it :)

• Options
    Hahaha I don't know what's going on anymore and don't really care

Firman I remember seeing your art at someone's booth at SDCC last year and I was like aw snap that is RAD

• Options
    Yeah, I'm done, my new topic is how much I enjoyed Superman: Red Son. Which is to say I enjoyed it a lot.

• Options
    Are you jazzed for The Avengers? I just got my midnight tickets!! It's weird because it's reserved seating. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It should be rad, but I'm going to wait until my old pal is back in town from Alberta in a couple of weeks. Still pretty jazzed though.

Edit: also everyone should go out and buy any Peller Estates wine. It's good.

Nic on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    The only thing about The Avengers that I don't like right now is that they didn't keep Cap's costume from the first movie. Specifically, his mask looks weird.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really don't like the term Silly Goose, it lacks the impact and panache of Cock Gobbling Thundercunt.

Mustang on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    There is a local theater that is having a Marvel Marathon all day up to the Avengers midnight release. Iron Man, The Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Capt. America and The Avengers all in a row. If I didn't have a kid or a job I would so be there.

This discussion has been closed.