As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I lost my star on kotaku because I said gametrailers have too much brostep in them >: (

m3nace on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    gametrailers.com/video/pax-east-spec-ops/729196

I was watching this fucking gobble-dee-gook nonsense bull shit jibberish nonsense, when I thought to myself "have I ever told you the definition of insanity?" I thought to myself when did video games stop being about fun, and instead about being "... more gritty and visceral than... gamers are used to"? Why is it always about mother fucking "wanna be special forces" shit and not about fun...

WHY AM I SO BORED BY GAMES ANYMORE!?

http://kotaku.com/5901534/mario-is-written-for-simpletons-assassins-creed-is-a-gore+fest-and-other-problems-crippling-video-games

Then I watched this. I'm not alone.

Direct link to the video

http://bcove.me/ffz503od

edit: a combination of minecraft and dear esther come to mind.

I can relate to this guy, cause I have a similar opinion when it comes to comic books. He's looking for more of a push on story and construction of a product as an artistic merit rather then as a commercial one. I mean, in the same time frame since video game inductions for other mediums like film/literature/physical artwork we have masterpiece collections as long as our arms, but for games the status quo has been better graphics, (varying) better gameplay, bigger explosions and ruder titties.

Which is fine and all, but it makes for an incredibly hard way for the general population to take it as a seriously an artistic medium as film, television and the like. I'm just glad games have the type of industry and timespan available for future generations to curve this consensus before it's too late like what happened to graphic novels.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    What? I disagree. You make it sound like there are no artistic or meaningful stories in comics. If you think that, you haven't been paying attention d:

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    before it's too late like what happened to graphic novels.

Spoken like someone who hasn't picked up a comic since Youngblood....
    better graphics, (varying) better gameplay, bigger explosions and ruder titties.

... or picked up a game they didn't see advertised on Spike. Please would you and ninjai just stop already.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ... or read a single European comic.
    It's about looking beyond what's immediately in front of your nose, just because the industry doesn't offer it, it doesn't mean everyone else isn't. It's not like Hollywood is the pinnacle of creative film is it?

m3nace on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote: »
    before it's too late like what happened to graphic novels.

Spoken like someone who hasn't picked up a comic since Youngblood....

Seriously. There probably hasn't ever been a time with as many small press publishers releasing as much gorgeous stuff as one can get ones hands on.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

... or picked up a game they didn't see advertised on Spike. Please would you and ninjai just stop already.

Are you kidding me? The fuck. All I did was post a video. Also did you not read my statements? I have spent the last month or so looking for anything that is currently released to play waiting for Diablo 3 (after playing through my entire PC library, which judging only by what i own in steam is 77 titles, that isn't to include my D2D library of 16 games and my windows marketplace games of 8, and every single blizzard game since WC2 with expansions, that doesn't include all the independent and open source games, as well as my CD spindle here of 40 discs) So don't you fucking dare treat me like I have no base of education on the matter when it comes to the types of games being released on this platform.

I mean just look at the steam recommendations and sales the last month... Its all been skyrim, MW3 shit, max payne preorders, the witcher 2 which i already played, sniper elite, and shoot many robots. It could only have been more saturated with the shit I'm talking about if they included battlefield 3.

Yes there are exceptions like Dear Esther, Braid, World of Goo, Bastion whatever... I'VE FUCKING PLAYED THEM ALREADY... like... WHEN THEY CAME OUT. Flay recommended something new, and I've been playing it, but when I say "pc games are blah blah blah" i understand that there are exceptions to the rule, but that doesn't make the stereotype any less true.

I'm not going to touch the comic thing, as we already had that conversation a while ago. Noone survived.

Seriously, Have you even heard of Warsow nexuiz or xonotic?

edit: ooo, alien trap has updated their website!

ninjai on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Here's a hint: 90% of everything is shit.

Big game companies work an a razor thin profit margin so they have to make what will appeal to the most people.

Small game companies don't and so they can do more experimental stuff.

Both of those models make good and bad games.

But, guess which one is more likely to buy advertising space for their game?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited April 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Big game companies work an a razor thing profit margin so they have to make what will appeal to the most people.

Takedown is a kickstarter game being made by a group of industry professionals in order to prove that the industry model, what I highlighted in your quote, is broken, that there is an audience for these non-industry-standard games, they just aren't the "energy drink guzzling pre-adolescents" demographic.

In any case "witness" is going to be a welcome change of pace.

ninjai on

Big game companies work an a razor thing profit margin so they have to make what will appeal to the most people.

Takedown is a kickstarter game being made by a group of industry professionals in order to prove that the industry model, what I highlighted in your quote, is broken, that there is an audience for these non-industry-standard games, they just aren't the "energy drink guzzling pre-adolescents" demographic.

I hope you realize that showing a kickstarter project proves absolutely nothing to what I just said.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I read Friends with Boys this weekend. It was pretty good, and I loved the art.

I want to make comics like that.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited April 2012

I hope you realize that showing a kickstarter project proves absolutely nothing to what I just said.

.... except that they talk about "what appeal to the most people" in their video? Like... watch their pitch? maybe? ... and it is DIRECTLY related...

Ghost Recon Future Soldier, vs Ghost Recon Island Thunder and Desert Siege
    Rainbow 6 vegas's and R6 Patriots, vs Rainbow 6 Raven Shield/Rogue Spear,
    Splinter Cell Conviction, vs Original Splinter Cell/Pandora Tomorrow.

The "industry" says that there are certain types of games that aren't popular enough, and they need to tailor their games to teenagers by making yet another action FPS reminiscent of COD. These guys in their video pretty much say "fuck that. we still want to play those 'unpopular games', and so does everyone else"

ninjai on
    edited April 2012
    Ninjai I seriously have no idea what you're trying to say. Kickstarter pretty much sidesteps the "industry model". It has zero bearing on the financial viability of a game produced via said model. If you're trying to say games can exist outside that model ... no kidding. Publishers have been well on their way to obsolescence in virtually every arena for quite some time now.
    Seriously, Have you even heard of Warsow nexuiz or xonotic?

What does this have to do with anything? Is this some kind of limp ad hominem attack? I'm not even sure.

Anyway I apologize for whatever in my tone caused you to fly completely off the handle again; I was mostly railing at Godfather. Whinging and generalizing re: media folks clearly have myopic exposure to is a sore spot of mine.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    Siegfried wrote: »

Faith Erin Hicks is pretty great. She was in the 2005 24 Hour Comics Day Highlights anthology alongside me! One of us went on to be a super successful comic artist.

:D

:(

header_image_sm.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Whats going on in here guys.

We getting mad at the mainstream?

edited April 2012
    I have no idea.

In other news, this song is fantastic: http://www.imfrombarcelona.com/?page_id=1164

I am this close to uploading my own youtube video for it. Just so it can be there and people will know about it.

Nappuccino on

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »

Faith Erin Hicks is pretty great. She was in the 2005 24 Hour Comics Day Highlights anthology alongside me! One of us went on to be a super successful comic artist.

:(
    u just gotta BELEEVE

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited April 2012
    Ninjai I seriously have no idea what you're trying to say. Kickstarter pretty much sidesteps the "industry model". It has zero bearing on the financial viability of a game produced via said model. If you're trying to say games can exist outside that model ... no kidding. Publishers have been well on their way to obsolescence in virtually every arena for quite some time now.

What does this have to do with anything? Is this some kind of limp ad hominem attack? I'm not even sure.

Anyway I apologize for whatever in my tone caused you to fly completely off the handle again; I was mostly railing at Godfather. Whinging and generalizing re: media folks clearly have myopic exposure to is a sore spot of mine.

A, what I'm trying to say is WATCH THE FUCKING VIDEO. They're all people who've worked for and in the industry... my point had nothing to do with kickstarter aside from coincidence...

B, It has to do with putting too fine a point on whether or not I only play games "advertised on spike tv" ...

C, it was mostly railing at Godfather AND me because you fucking mentioned me in the same sentence. Condescension and ignorant accusations are the tone that you chose, my response is measured. Choose it more carefully next time.

ninjai on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Iruka wrote: »

I think what's happening is that everyone's doing their damnedest to avoid having an interesting, intelligent debate about the dependence of media on sensationalism?

edited April 2012

http://bcove.me/ffz503od

This is what we were talking about...

well, until someone inevitably decided to insult the posters intelligence, instead of discussing the topic related in the video. ... which very well may be how much he wants to Blow JOHN!

ninjai on
    Just because some guys say there is an audience doesn't mean that the audience doesn't it exist. But, it also doesn't meant that the audience is big enough some big companies to take a chance on. They are not interested in making small profits, they are interested in making millions.

Appeasing a small, but fervent fan base works when you don't need to put much money into the project. So games made by teams of 5 or so instead of games made by teams of 100+

edited April 2012
    Just because some guys say there is an audience doesn't mean that the audience doesn't it exist. But, it also doesn't meant that the audience is big enough some big companies to take a chance on. They are not interested in making small profits, they are interested in making millions.

The issue that I have with that argument is Portal 2... also half life 2.

The fact that game companies make money off of Lazy game design (far cry 2), bad story telling (gears of war) and re releasing identical games (NINTENDO,madden/cod) just to be safe is a crock of shit.

Quality/artistic/original does not = risky.

Seriously XIII was awesome... where is the sequel to that game?

What about what we hear a lot from developers in interviews, that "games must have multiplayer in order to sell." Skyrim shut that argument the fuck up. Dead Space 2 didn't sell for shit and it HAD multiplayer whereas the first one did NOT. or that pc gamers are pirates (ubisoft)... why do we listen to these leading industry professionals when they obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

ninjai on
    So this is not related to the media or the "industry" or whatever

I have this long story about one of my best friends getting pulled over last night for a "failure to signal" while turning on to his street, but I'll shorten it: Turns out his license is suspended and has been for awhile, and now he has a court date. He's panicking and really upset and I'm worried about him. He's a good guy and works hard but this just got by him and he's now going to have a minimum of a $500 fine and may possibly lose his license for 60 days.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? I mean about going to court for a traffic law violation. I've never had to do it, but I would like to hear how people have dealt with it so I can give my friend some reassurance so he doesn't have a mental breakdown. I've done what I can to encourage him but I'm hoping for some stories that I can provide so it feels like my optimism has more merit.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2012

The fact that game companies make money off of Lazy game design (far cry 2), bad story telling (gears of war) and re releasing identical games (NINTENDO,madden/cod) just to be safe is a crock of shit.

What about what we hear a lot from developers in interviews, that "games must have multiplayer in order to sell." Skyrim shut that argument the fuck up. Dead Space 2 didn't sell for shit and it HAD multiplayer whereas the first one did NOT. or that pc gamers are pirates (ubisoft)... why do we listen to these leading industry professionals when they obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I don't think that we as an audience or as consumers need to listen to them. However, they are the ones out there making the games. Personally, I think that the top industry suits have been proven wrong numerous times. But they also get proven right every time they put out a game sequel that is only moderately better if not exactly the same as the last one and it sells for a billions dollars in profit.

Yes, there is a new Madden, Tiger, FIFA game every year and they could probably just produce a DLC package to update the rosters for the teams in the games instead of putting out a whole new game every year. But couldn't the argument be made that they keep game creators employed by doing what they're doing? I mean, EA treats their staff like shit and makes them work to the bone but at least they're keeping people in the industry employed, right?

Anyway, I might be rambling. The point is that while quality story with great atmosphere is wonderful to experience in a game, it doesn't necessarily sell the way that big game execs want to see. Wasn't Blow the guy who said he probably wasn't going to make another independent game like Braid because he didn't make enough money off of it or something like that?

Grifter on
    edited April 2012

I have this long story about one of my best friends getting pulled over last night for a "failure to signal" while turning on to his street, but I'll shorten it: Turns out his license is suspended and has been for awhile, and now he has a court date. He's panicking and really upset and I'm worried about him. He's a good guy and works hard but this just got by him and he's now going to have a minimum of a $500 fine and may possibly lose his license for 60 days.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? I mean about going to court for a traffic law violation. I've never had to do it, but I would like to hear how people have dealt with it so I can give my friend some reassurance so he doesn't have a mental breakdown. I've done what I can to encourage him but I'm hoping for some stories that I can provide so it feels like my optimism has more merit.

(I've not been to traffic court, but...)

"Suspended"? Not "expired"?

If it was suspended for a reason (DUI, too many points on license etc.) he might be in trouble- but he just forgot to renew his license on time, I doubt he's got too much to worry about beyond the monetary hit and sorting things out with the DMV, unless he's had a lot of speeding/parking tickets or something.

If he's in the clear there and this is a one-time instance of some paperwork slipping his mind, I doubt the judge would see him as being actually dangerous to have on the road thus requiring losing his license; and if he doesn't live and work somewhere with adequate public transportation, it'd be likely that could be dodged with an argument that he can't get to work without a car.

Also, assuming it's just expired, I'm kinda surprised that it's not just a correctable offense that he could sort out with the DMV and just pay his fine at the courthouse, without having to actually go to court.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited April 2012

Half Life 2 was play tested and play tested and play tested until it was no longer risky. Your point doesn't really stand by any example with Valve in their name because they wouldn't publish a major game without making sure the interest was actually their first. (portal 2 came about because of portal one's sucess. That was a game they didn't really think people would be interested in so they packaged it in the orange box to make sure people would have to get it and play it. They hoped people would enjoy it, but they packaged it in a way that would be profitable for them (i.e. a 3 hour game bundled with two games everyone wanted)

But, they do want to make sure that quality is a priority. But Valve is also privately owned and Gabe N. was already rich before he started thanks to that sweet sweet Microsoft money. Valve is not a major industry type like EA or Ubisoft. They stand on their own.

Nappuccino on

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Its all been skyrim, MW3 shit, max payne preorders, the witcher 2 which i already played, sniper elite, and shoot many robots. It could only have been more saturated with the shit I'm talking about if they included battlefield 3.

I love Elder Scrolls and Max Payne! Fuck it, I like Call of Duty. I like mindless shooting. I am here to destroy entertainment for everybody.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

hey so we got the ignore feature back

If it was suspended for a reason (DUI, too many points on license etc.) he might be in trouble- but he just forgot to renew his license on time, I doubt he's got too much to worry about beyond the monetary hit and sorting things out with the DMV, unless he's had a lot of speeding/parking tickets or something.

If he's in the clear there and this is a one-time instance of some paperwork slipping his mind, I doubt the judge would see him as being actually dangerous to have on the road thus requiring losing his license; and if he doesn't live and work somewhere with adequate public transportation, it'd be likely that could be dodged with an argument that he can't get to work without a car.

Also, assuming it's just expired, I'm kinda surprised that it's not just a correctable offense that he could sort out with the DMV and just pay his fine at the courthouse, without having to actually go to court.

It was suspended. A payment for a ticket never got to the State Treasury, so it was suspended. He found out about it a while ago but he never thought to check back on it because he hadn't heard anything further after sending them a payment. There's a chance it may have stayed suspended because he paid for the previous ticket and even though he was told the new ticket(given to him the first time he found out about the suspension) could get waived if he cleared things up, it doesn't look like it did.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    why do we listen to these leading industry professionals when they obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

maybe because they've made kabillions of dollars making videogames while you've made none

edited April 2012
    Condescension and ignorant accusations are the tone that you chose, my response is measured. Choose it more carefully next time.

I think you need to reread what I said, reread what you said, and reevaluate your idea of "condescension and ignorant accusations."

You don't seem to understand that a fervid fanbase does not equal a big fanbase. Look at a beloved game like Psychonauts; clever, gorgeous platformer with some graphic adventure elements. Not super experimental but beloved forever. Fiscal failure.

You keep mentioning Portal. Portal was ridiculously cheap to produce so there was no risk involved, and as well as it's sold I invite you to go look at how its numbers to date stack up to, say, Assassin's Creed 2, or even AC2: Brotherhood or Revelations.

Yeah, whoa. I don't get the suspended/expired thing. Did he not know? How did he not know? If it was something he was somehow never notified on then yeah there's got to be some way out of it....?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Augh freaky double post. :(

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    I don't know about all states, but in Maine they don't tell you if it's suspended. If you don't pay off a ticket/citation, it gets suspended almost immediately but again, there is no notification or letter or phone call or anything when it does.
    It also costs money to FIND OUT if it's suspended.
    So basically, you can send a check in the mail for a ticket and if it gets lost in the mail you can have a suspended license and not even realize it and suddenly you're getting pulled over and told to walk home or get someone to pick you up while your car is left on the side of the road.
    A few years ago, cops could arrest you for it but that's no longer the case, luckily.

It's a pretty moronic way to go about things, but I have no control over that. I just hope that when my friend goes to his court date they realize he's not some poor hippie idiot that's trying to outsmart the law. Until then I need to keep him from ripping his hair out. >:

edited April 2012
    It was suspended. A payment for a ticket never got to the State Treasury, so it was suspended. He found out about it a while ago but he never thought to check back on it because he hadn't heard anything further after sending them a payment. There's a chance it may have stayed suspended because he paid for the previous ticket and even though he was told the new ticket(given to him the first time he found out about the suspension) could get waived if he cleared things up, it doesn't look like it did.

Hrm. Can he check his bank records to see if his original payment check was ever deposited? If he can provide evidence that he tried in all good faith to make the payment on time (ie: copy of the expired check showing the date he sent the payment) and therefore the delay was not his fault, the court appearance may be a good time to get this all legally cleared up, that he should not have had his license suspended in the first place, or that the suspension should have been reversed once the check got through, even if it was late. (Assuming the check did get through eventually, and wasn't entirely lost in the mail.)

In any case, I'd be pretty surprised if this turned out to be something that's going to cost more than just money in terms of penalties- paying the old ticket, the new penalty, the DMV fees, etc. I guess it depends on how much of a dick the judge is.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    I will ask him about the payments. I also took this to the H/A forum to see if anyone has any tips about when he goes to court.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    The obvious solution is to flee the country.

steam_sig.png
    Or at least the state.

.Tripwire. wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »
    It appears that Irma is going to be in a show this month in Toronto. People in Toronto should attend. I'm looking at you @.Tripwire.

Wait what! Where's this?

http://www.garrisoncreekbats.com/

edited April 2012
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I love Elder Scrolls and Max Payne! Fuck it, I like Call of Duty. I like mindless shooting. I am here to destroy entertainment for everybody.

Elder Scrolls is awesome, Fallout possibly even more awesome (and I think it's funny both of these franchises have broken into mainstream success). I even like the occasional Assassins Creed.

I guess, in summary and in conclusion ... I can't imagine being dissatisfied with what there is for games and that was the source of my blaaargh. There's huge fun AAA stuff in abundance, and more nichey quirky stuff than ever before thanks to XBLA/PSN/iThing/Android/Steam/blah. Everyone wins, and the cover reads TOO MANY GAMES! forever after.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.