Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[EAST] Pre-PAX East 2012 Gaming Night - Thursday, April 5, 2012 - Westin Waterfront Hotel

245678

Posts

  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Registered User regular
    Good News! Below is the email I just got back from the Manager at the Westin:

    It is exciting as we get closer to the PAX event. Thank you again for your suggestion. I agree that a gaming area is a fantastic idea and will go ahead and stage tables and chairs on our Mezzanine floor overlooking the lobby.
    I think this will be a fun area since people at the tables will be visible from the lobby and help create a fun buzz.

    Travel safely and we will see you soon.


    There was no clarification as to whether we'll be expected to only sit in that area or not, but I'll pose that question a little closer to the event. I've sent him quite enough email recently, methinks.

    really, thanks for handling all this stuff. it makes me happy to know we have the hotel management's blessing. maintaining a good relationship between paxers and the businesses we overtake is so important and benefits everyone. so thank you, lexicongrrl!

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
  • ArighArigh Registered User regular
    I'll definitely be there, and I'ma bring Bang! and Munchkins Cthulhu.

  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    really, thanks for handling all this stuff. it makes me happy to know we have the hotel management's blessing. maintaining a good relationship between paxers and the businesses we overtake is so important and benefits everyone. so thank you, lexicongrrl!

    And thank YOU, tvethiopia, for being generally all-around awesome.
    (it's a girl thing)

    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co.

    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.
  • HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone had considered seeing whether or not the Westin had a conference type room available for rent? The reason I mention this is because last year on one of the nights I hosted a "Arkham Horror" night at the hotel where I was staying. For a couple hundred bucks we got a private room with tables and chairs. We bought some food, some other people brought some soda and chips, we put out a "pay for the room" cup and everyone threw in a little cash.

    It was hardly a "high class" event or anything fancy. But it is something to perhaps consider for the future? Again, I'm not sure how much space the Westin has for such events, what their rates are, etc. I just know that it worked out well for us last year and made for an enjoyable evening where we could game in a semi-private setting.

    I'm really looking forward to being at the Westin this year and taking part in this evening. I'll have an amazing array of games available to bring if there is interest please let me know what you'd like to try:

    Dominion
    Dominion: Alchemy
    Pandemic (hopefully)
    Weinhandler
    Ticket to Ride
    Ticket to Ride Card Game
    Five Crowns
    Settlers of Catan (with 5/6 player expansion)
    Carcassone (with River expansion for 6 players)
    Yinsh
    Trichess (three player chess board)
    Small World
    Arkham Horror
    More Munchin Games than you can tolerate
    Ascension

    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    yeah, the Westin itself has a bunch of rooms, but if they're willing to set up tables for free that seems like a good way to go.

  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    haha Crimes of Humanity!? Damn! There's a bunch of folks at my job who sit around playing it during lunch almost everyday. It's fun to hear the laughs and crazy things they end up saying! Would definitely be up for this! Assuming I get in at a reasonable time.

  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yeah the mezzanine is pretty big, I think there will be plenty of room for gaming if some people don't mind sharing tables (2-3 man games taking half a table each and such).

    LinkSmash: You mean Cards Against Humanity?

    I don't know that I'd play that in public, or at least not in a hotel lobby. Unless you just want to snigger quietly to yourselves, anyway. But I'm sure some people there will have it, it is quite fun.

    Nullzone on
  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    Wooo, I should have my copy of Miskatonic School for Girls by PAX East! I'll deinfitely be bringing that with me.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Wooo, I should have my copy of Miskatonic School for Girls by PAX East! I'll deinfitely be bringing that with me.

    This I've wanted to play.

  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Wooo, I should have my copy of Miskatonic School for Girls by PAX East! I'll deinfitely be bringing that with me.

    This I've wanted to play.

    It's awesome, my friends and I met the devs (they only live about 30 min from me) and we playtested a close to final version.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    zerzhul wrote:
    yeah, the Westin itself has a bunch of rooms, but if they're willing to set up tables for free that seems like a good way to go.

    On the other hand, if there are MASSIVELY more people who want to play than can fit within the available seating, I'm sure the hotel would be willing to accomodate a paying overflow room. I've never known a hotel to say no to money.

    Ironically, I may be too drunk to attend. Sigh. It's tough having to drink so much.

    LexiconGrrl on
    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co.

    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.
  • HandgimpHandgimp Registered User, SolidSaints Handgimp regular
    It's tough having to drink so much.

    It's a hard life, but someone has to do it.

  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    yeah, the Westin itself has a bunch of rooms, but if they're willing to set up tables for free that seems like a good way to go.

    On the other hand, if there are MASSIVELY more people who want to play than can fit within the available seating, I'm sure the hotel would be willing to accomodate a paying overflow room. I've never known a hotel to say no to money.

    Ironically, I may be too drunk to attend. Sigh. It's tough having to drink so much.

    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Blade FusionBlade Fusion Registered User regular
    Oh man this sounds awesome! Totally down for this.

  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Good News!
    That all Is good news! Getting more and more excited :D We played some games at the Renn bar last year, which was nice, but would be cool to join the official hotel fun.

    PAXEAST2014: Hotel (X), Bobcats (X), Costume ( ) I'm thankful for my buddies who noted the Hotel/Badge availability
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    Yeah the mezzanine is pretty big, I think there will be plenty of room for gaming if some people don't mind sharing tables (2-3 man games taking half a table each and such).

    LinkSmash: You mean Cards Against Humanity?

    I don't know that I'd play that in public, or at least not in a hotel lobby. Unless you just want to snigger quietly to yourselves, anyway. But I'm sure some people there will have it, it is quite fun.

    Whoops. Yes. That's what I meant! My mind was elsewhere! Maybe not hotel lobby as we could get a whole lot loud and disturb guests... I'd suggest the actual convention lobby but they'll most likely be close. Playing outside somewhere would be cold....the mall, maybe? Hmmmm...

  • bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User
    This thread makes me all the more excited about booking early at the Westin. I think I'll have to play it safe and bring a few of my MTG decks just in case....

    userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    You mean Cards Against Humanity?

    I don't know that I'd play that in public, or at least not in a hotel lobby. Unless you just want to snigger quietly to yourselves, anyway. But I'm sure some people there will have it, it is quite fun.

    I would TOTALLY play that in public. Loudly. And plan to. But I'm like that.

    I'm sure worse things have been heard in the Westin lobby. Besides, if there's a dedicated gaming area on the Mezzanine, the ambient noise would probably drown out any 'uncomfortable' answers past more than a couple of feet distance.

    Proprietor of Seattle's only Gamer-Owned Distillery, Old Ballard Liquor Co.

    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Were in! I think we are only doing pre-pax dinner (maybe pokecrawl). How late was everyone gaming last year?
    ishtra wrote:
    We have Dominion (classic, intrigue), Catan (made it out of cookies at a previous event - will bring just classic this time ^_~), Blokus (anyone??).

    Catan AND Blokus? Yes please! Blokus is by far one of my fav games.

    adias.angel on
    Prime 2014 Status: .[] 4-Day Badges .[] Hotel .[] Plane Tickets .[ .] Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13 .. East '12
  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    Were in! I think we are only doing pre-pax dinner (maybe pokecrawl). How late was everyone gaming last year?

    Until the weee hours of the morn, if I remember correctly.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User
    Chorazin wrote:
    Were in! I think we are only doing pre-pax dinner (maybe pokecrawl). How late was everyone gaming last year?

    Until the weee hours of the morn, if I remember correctly.

    I hung around until about 12:30...

    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    ottoman673 wrote:
    Spoiler:
    I hung around until about 12:30...

    I am thinking after traveling that morning, midnight is probably my max.

    Prime 2014 Status: .[] 4-Day Badges .[] Hotel .[] Plane Tickets .[ .] Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13 .. East '12
  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    ottoman673 wrote:
    Spoiler:
    I hung around until about 12:30...

    I am thinking after traveling that morning, midnight is probably my max.

    After 7 hours of driving, I should be able to pull at least 2 in the morning, don't need to be up that early for PAX unless there is a really amazing keynote speaker.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User
    ottoman673 wrote:
    Spoiler:
    I hung around until about 12:30...

    I am thinking after traveling that morning, midnight is probably my max.

    Last year i flew out of GRR at 9:30 and got to Boston around 1.
    My full plan was to get in early Thursday night for the first day of PAX... I ended up at the Westin until 12:30, and the InterContinental lobby around 3.

    Sleeping never goes according to plan, but that's okay. It's PAX. :)

    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • slamonellaslamonella Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin so I'll definitely be there!

    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    You mean Cards Against Humanity?

    I don't know that I'd play that in public, or at least not in a hotel lobby. Unless you just want to snigger quietly to yourselves, anyway. But I'm sure some people there will have it, it is quite fun.

    I would TOTALLY play that in public. Loudly. And plan to. But I'm like that.

    I'm sure worse things have been heard in the Westin lobby. Besides, if there's a dedicated gaming area on the Mezzanine, the ambient noise would probably drown out any 'uncomfortable' answers past more than a couple of feet distance.

    What about at an airport? Could totally get away with making so much noise and madness until the wee hours of the night? haha

  • Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    Staying at the Weston this year (yay!!) and since I missed out on the pre-pax dinner tickets.....gaming at the Westin it is!!! I'll have zombie dice, munchkin (original) and I can bring last night on earth if anyone wants :-)

  • malicious nerdmalicious nerd Registered User
    I am definitely interested. :)

    PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Time Off: [x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @maliciousnerd
    Gamertag: Fr3akyxAssAssIn
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I'm on the PAX train but as soon as I get in and get my room sorted, I'll be up for some gaming. I've got Puerto Rico and dominion with a few expansions.

    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Status: Hotel[X] Bobcat[X] Flight[X] Vacation[X]
    PAX South 2015 Status: Hotel[X] Bobcat[X] Flight[X] Vacation[_]
    3DS: 0946-2465-9686 XBL: Gespo
  • ChorazinChorazin Registered User regular
    Kiki_lou wrote:
    Staying at the Weston this year (yay!!) and since I missed out on the pre-pax dinner tickets.....gaming at the Westin it is!!! I'll have zombie dice, munchkin (original) and I can bring last night on earth if anyone wants :-)

    Hmm, if you're DEFINITELY going to bring LNoE, maybe I'll not bring mine. Mine spans two boxes since I have all the expansions, it'll be a pain to transport.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Kiki_lou wrote:
    Staying at the Weston this year (yay!!) and since I missed out on the pre-pax dinner tickets.....gaming at the Westin it is!!! I'll have zombie dice, munchkin (original) and I can bring last night on earth if anyone wants :-)

    Hmm, if you're DEFINITELY going to bring LNoE, maybe I'll not bring mine. Mine spans two boxes since I have all the expansions, it'll be a pain to transport.

    I'll know closer to the date if I want to bring it or not. Will depend if I feel like playing it that night or not....will let you know though! I, however, don't have any expansions.

  • FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I picked the Westin was for this type of meetup. I'm hoping to drop by late in the evening however. I figure there will be enough twitter activity for me to know where to show up.

  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I'd be down for this! Do you think there would be a problem if I brought a 6-pack as long as I kept the bottles covered (like, with bottle jackets/coozies)?

    ~Taboo
    3DS: 1977-0225-4258
    BlizzID: Taboo#1448

    PAX East 2014: Pokecrawl Team Green White, Cookie Brigade (Distributor)
    PAX East 2013: Pre-PAX Dinner (Team Cheeseburger), Cookie Brigade (Baker & Distributor)
    PAX East 2012: Pokecrawl Team Blue Silver, Cookie Brigade (Baker)
    MD PAX Meetup Thread
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User
    I'd be down for this! Do you think there would be a problem if I brought a 6-pack as long as I kept the bottles covered (like, with bottle jackets/coozies)?

    I'm not certain the hotel would appreciate that. They have a bar downstairs and they're already being generous enough to let us use the mezzanine. Overpriced? Yes, but we should be considerate for them opening the doors to us when in all reality a good chunk of us won't even be staying there.

    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    edited February 2012
    ottoman673 wrote:
    I'd be down for this! Do you think there would be a problem if I brought a 6-pack as long as I kept the bottles covered (like, with bottle jackets/coozies)?

    I'm not certain the hotel would appreciate that. They have a bar downstairs and they're already being generous enough to let us use the mezzanine. Overpriced? Yes, but we should be considerate for them opening the doors to us when in all reality a good chunk of us won't even be staying there.

    Yeah, this is good advice. Soda or other soft drinks would be acceptable but bringing booze would likely be frowned upon.

    zerzhul on
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    Wooo, I should have my copy of Miskatonic School for Girls by PAX East! I'll deinfitely be bringing that with me.

    That looks so awesome. Would love to pick up a copy of that.

  • FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

    I'm also skipping the crawl (no offense) in favor of this, though I'll be arriving after I did a bit of walking around Boston once the Pre-PAX dinner is done.

    Age is slowly creeping up on me. For me it's no more than two glasses of wine else I'll get all kinds of stupid. It's crazy when you think that, back in the day, I could chug anything down like I had a CyberLiver 2000.



  • LedaXILedaXI Registered User regular
    I had tons of fun at this last year, and I'm really looking forward to it this year. I would love to play Miskatonic School for Girls, although Cards Against Humanity looks pretty awesome, too. Decisions, decisions...

    PAX 2014: Passes [x] Hotel [x] Transportation [x] Spending money [x] Pre-PAX events [x]
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

    I'm also skipping the crawl (no offense) in favor of this, though I'll be arriving after I did a bit of walking around Boston once the Pre-PAX dinner is done.

    Age is slowly creeping up on me. For me it's no more than two glasses of wine else I'll get all kinds of stupid. It's crazy when you think that, back in the day, I could chug anything down like I had a CyberLiver 2000.



    LOL...I know how you feel. I am on this medication that if I have more than 2 beers, I am ready to fall asleep.

  • FrugusFrugus Podcaster Registered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

    I'm also skipping the crawl (no offense) in favor of this, though I'll be arriving after I did a bit of walking around Boston once the Pre-PAX dinner is done.

    Age is slowly creeping up on me. For me it's no more than two glasses of wine else I'll get all kinds of stupid. It's crazy when you think that, back in the day, I could chug anything down like I had a CyberLiver 2000.



    LOL...I know how you feel. I am on this medication that if I have more than 2 beers, I am ready to fall asleep.

    It's called "Near or over your 40's". There is no cure.

Sign In or Register to comment.