The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Singularity Engine++
hunger-games-mockingjay-fire-600x251.jpg

After a couple of people mentioned the Hunger Games novels which are being turned into a move franchise, I thought we could do with a thread for it.

Based on the 2008 novel by Suzanne Collins and to be released on March 23rd this year. It has a pretty good cast of

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss:
300.jennifer.cm_.8811.jpg

Josh Hutcherson as Peeta:
hunger-games_320.jpg

Liam Hemsworth as Gale:
movies_the_hunger_games_gale_hawthorne.jpg

Woody Harrelson as Haymitch:
NEOdBx0U6JDXSQ_1_1.jpg

and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna,
hunger-games-cinna-lenny-kravitz-600x251.jpg

as well as many more.

The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected by lottery and forced to participate in the Hunger Games, a televised event in which the participants, or "tributes," must fight to the death in a dangerous, outdoor arena, controlled by the Capitol, until only 1 remains. The story follows 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12, who volunteers for the 74th Games in place of her younger sister, Primrose.

So what do we think? Go!

Liiya on
whowhosigraw_zps833557f6.jpg

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Yessssssssssss

Looking forward to this so muchhhh

• BlankzillaBlankzilla The Year 198X Being Xtreme to the MaxxRegistered User regular
    I really should read these sometime

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    The first one was okay, not really sure what's up with the sequels because it seemed pretty self-contained

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.Registered User regular
    I read the first book in about one sitting and the second in two days. I need to read the last one sometime.

I'm not sold on any of the cast except for Woody Harrelson and maybe Hutcherson, but I'm hoping it'll be good.

• EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote:
    The first one was okay, not really sure what's up with the sequels because it seemed pretty self-contained

I've, um, not actually read any of the sequels

But yeah I have to say the concept struck me as Matrix-esque. That is, best as a standalone

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ShenShen Go placidly amid the noise and haste Registered User regular
    That trailer looks pretty good, though not too sure about the casting so far. It reminded me that I actually quite liked the first book, shame about the sequels :P

NDBwPJF.jpg
    Origin: shenlongxz | 3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | D3: Ladi#2485 (EU)
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn Registered User regular
    team peeta

fyi

gale is a diiiiiiiiiiiickasssssssss

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    "Katniss, you're so pretty... lets talk about bread!"

Agreeing with pretty much most people that the first was the best, and the other two weren't as good.

• AntimatterAntimatter Registered User regular
    they got worse in descending order

the first book was alright

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Decent first book.

Shit series.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    So it's The Running Man with teenagers?

There's a point in the second book where you just realize "This author has no fucking clue what to do with this story."

Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    They did lose a lot of structure, I thought.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote:
    Spoilers for book 2 and 3
    Spoiler:

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Adus wrote:
    So it's The Running Man with teenagers?

American Battle Royale.

And then it goes into this ultra hackneyed and extremely forced way of ending chapters on 'cliffhangers.'

And then by the third book you just hope everyone gets firebombed.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    it is decent modern YA science fiction, which is not as common as you might hope.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    And then it goes into this ultra hackneyed and extremely forced way of ending chapters on 'cliffhangers.'

Yeah but it happens for like... 8/10 people, so even *that* gets a bit tiresome.

SS post
    mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    My forum intuition is tingling. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Munkus liked the sequels very much.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular

Spoiler:

YaYa wrote:

Spoiler:

I was thinking that too!

You may be right there, Ed :D

Basically
    Spoiler:

Hate hate hate.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm about to leave for work so quickly: I recently read the first book after hearing about it from friends*. I liked it but wasn't super enthused about it. Still, I'll probably catch the film and I intend to finish the trilogy soon.

*also wizard rock performers started doing songs about it. I'll post a couple when I get home tonight.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    YaYa wrote:

Spoiler:

Except
    Spoiler:

Edcrab wrote:
    My forum intuition is tingling. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think Munkus liked the sequels very much.

Looks, let's be accurate here.

They are fan fiction.

Well thats okay Munkus, I think those are valid reasons to dislike it. Don't worry, I won't force you to watch it :D

I liked the first book.

Which is why my hate seethes.

I liked the first book.

Which is why my hate seethes.

Ahh I see. I'm sorry?

• Basically
    Spoiler:

Hate hate hate.
    Spoiler:

Pb6cUzZ.pngTeRnRlj.pnglBMZaaL.pnglm0oV4l.pngsw4UHsU.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.Registered User regular
    pooka wrote:
    it is decent modern YA science fiction, which is not as common as you might hope.

Yes this. The series isn't anything outstanding, but they're good pageturners.

• I don't think the second and third books are that bad, honestly. They never really become super great, because the writing is always kind of stilted, but I don't really think the big thing in the second one is really that contrived, given the power of the people she's up against. And I don't think the first one was all that self-contained. It left some pretty big clues to where they wanted the story to go.

Basically
    Spoiler:

Hate hate hate.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Me too, Geebs. I rather enjoyed them!

I don't think the second and third books are that bad, honestly. They never really become super great, because the writing is always kind of stilted, but I don't really think the big thing in the second one is really that contrived, given the power of the people she's up against. And I don't think the first one was all that self-contained. It left some pretty big clues to where they wanted the story to go.
    Spoiler:

• HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    i always thought the names were kind of weird for characters

like even considering the kind of shit you usually get in sf

• Basically
    Spoiler:

Hate hate hate.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• I don't think the second and third books are that bad, honestly. They never really become super great, because the writing is always kind of stilted, but I don't really think the big thing in the second one is really that contrived, given the power of the people she's up against. And I don't think the first one was all that self-contained. It left some pretty big clues to where they wanted the story to go.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

One thing I will give the sequels is the hilarious fact that
    Spoiler: