As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh God, it's a hair thread! (Update: Got the hair cut)

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I need help. I have hair. A lot of it, and I don't know what to do with it. It desperately needs to be cut, but I have no idea what would look okay on me. I know it grows back and everything, but I'd like to not have it look terrible.

I'd *like* a short hair cut, but again, I don't know if that would work with my face shape and I should keep it long. I don't even know what kind of shape my face is (round, oval, heart...diamond?!) The last time I had a hair cut above my shoulders, I was 5.

I've always been clueless when it comes to my hair. It's naturally *very* curly, but it's so unruly that I just straighten it every day, but with long hair it's pretty time consuming.

Anyway, here's my mug. Tell me what would look not terrible, please. Sorry for the shitty pictures/lack of any effort at all.
aRivz.jpg
pALWW.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on

• Options
    EffefEffef Who said your opinion mattered, Jones? Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You are very pretty! Also, nice TV.

The first thing that came to my mind was something like this:
    12_bob-haircut-bangs-choppy-layered-nyc.jpg

though I don't know how well that would work with your naturally curly hair.

Something like this:
    d8b408286ab95f72_short_haircut_pics_A.jpg

might also work, and you definitely have the facial build for it.

Effef on
    ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Take a photo of yourself with your hair pulled back, photoshop some hair styles on? It'll be tricky to go too short because your hairs so curly.

How curly are we talkin here?

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    While I admit I'm a guy who doesn't notice girl's hair that much...I think the way your hair is now looks good. To me, it suits you. But, if you want to get rid of some, I think it would still look good even if you just chopped off a few inches.

Just my two cents...

• Options
    Sorta curly could be managed, but if its HELLA CURLY then it might be difficult.

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    I'm not too particular about my hair so this advice may or may not work for you, but if I want short hair I typically just go to a salon and tell them what length I would like it, ask for some choppy layers and let the person have at it. It usually turns out well and looks good if I straighten it or just let it air dry (I have wavy hair, but not curly). How much shorter is your hair if you just let it air dry (I'm guessing it naturally dries shorter than the picture shows)?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    No matter what style I get, I will probably straighten it every day anyway. It's just SO much easier than trying to deal with the thick curly hair.

I can't find a picture of my self with curly hair, so here's a random person with hair similar to mine.

Fresh-Women-Long-Curly-Hairstyle.jpg

It's usually a bit frizzier than that.

In regards to short hair, my main concern is looking like a weird boy after I chop it all off.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I think wavy hair (as opposed to super curly) might look nice on you, and would help to frame your face. I have wavy hair and I've never curled it so I'm not sure how that would work...though I assume you could either put your hair into rollers the previous evening, or just get a large-diameter hair curler to make your hair into soft waves rather than tight curls.

Like this, maybe? (getting thinner at the ends, too)
    hairstyle-gallery-new-200lg.jpg
    e190802b88709ecca16013168a8f575f.jpg

[edit] Also, for the frizz, you might want to try some anti-frizz serum. It's pretty cheap, you only need a little, and it really helps.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Short hair can be extremely feminine, I wouldn't worry about it. Its all about how you carry yourself anyway. If they think less of you for looking not of their narrow view of femininity then thats their problem.

Something like that could be a thing, since you are willing to keep up with it.
    tumblr_lw62jm2iCs1qzml27o1_500.jpg
    Short hair really isn't as limiting as many think it is.

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    Effef wrote:
    Short hair can be extremely feminine, I wouldn't worry about it. Its all about how you carry yourself anyway. If they think less of you for looking not of their narrow view of femininity then thats their problem.

I love this cut. I love it so damn much. I always felt like my face was too round for something like that though. I'll never know for sure unless I do it though, right?

• Options
    Pretty much. I think you could pull it off though.

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm going to give my standard line here.

None of these people in this thread have any idea what to do with your hair. Go to a professional (i.e. somewhere about 5 steps above the mall and look to spend around $50 + tip) and talk to them. Take them pictures of styles you like and they can tell you what will work with your hair, face, and head type. There are too many mitigating factors to have some people on an internet forum give you suggestions. This from a former receptionist at a hair salon.

And make sure you find someone who is good with curly hair. It's pretty easy to fuck up. When you call for an appointment, ask who who works there is good with that kind of hair. If you see someone on the street with a great cut, ask them where they go.'

My ONE suggestion though, go shorter. You have a long face and the long straight hair isn't doing you any favors.

Esh on
  • Options
    None of these people in this thread have any idea what to do with your hair.

Well, no, but there is nothing wrong with giving suggestions.

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    Effef wrote:
    None of these people in this thread have any idea what to do with your hair.

Well, no, but there is nothing wrong with giving suggestions.

I never said that. In fact I gave one. But I've seen way too many people walk in with a picture from a magazine that they or their friends insist will look good on them, and against the stylists advice get it done, then wonder why it looks bad on them.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Esh: Thanks. I know none of these folks are hairdressers or anything of the sort, but getting suggestions from people have been helping. I didn't really know where to begin. I'm probably going to print out all the suggestions in this thread, and bring them to my hairdresser. But yeah, totally agree with you on the "I need to go shorter" point. I was hesitant, but now I'm pretty confident about it.

And if it sucks, well, it'll just grow back, and I'll figure something else out.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Esh: Thanks. I know none of these folks are hairdressers or anything of the sort, but getting suggestions from people have been helping. I didn't really know where to begin. I'm probably going to print out all the suggestions in this thread, and bring them to my hairdresser. But yeah, totally agree with you on the "I need to go shorter" point. I was hesitant, but now I'm pretty confident about it.

And if it sucks, well, it'll just grow back, and I'll figure something else out.

Have you been going to the same person for a while? Because I think it might be time to switch it up a little.

• Options
    Esh wrote:

Have you been going to the same person for a while? Because I think it might be time to switch it up a little.

I have, but they fucked up my hair (and eyebrows. Waxed them clean off) way too many times. I recently asked a friend where she gets her hair cut, because her hair is always amazing, and she recommended me a place, and the hair dresser she uses. Apparently they get trained in Soho *oh fannccyyy*, so I'm pretty excited about that.

• Options
    Esh wrote:

I have, but they fucked up my hair (and eyebrows. Waxed them clean off) way too many times. I recently asked a friend where she gets her hair cut, because her hair is always amazing, and she recommended me a place, and the hair dresser she uses. Apparently they get trained in Soho *oh fannccyyy*, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Finding that person who does your hair just right is a great feeling. Make sure to post an update when you get it done.

• Options
    LBLB Registered User regular
    Definitely go to a nice stylist and be willing to spend more than you might at your closest SuperCuts. When I got a dramatically new haircut (from below my shoulders to a bob just under my ears), I used the InStyle hair makeover application (http://www.instyle.com/instyle/makeover/). You put up a picture of yourself with your hair pulled back and it finds picture of stars with similar facial structure as you, and you transfer their haircuts to your picture so you can get a general idea of what that haircut might look like on you. It's not totally accurate, but if you find a few you like, you can print them out to take to your stylist, and get their feedback on whether you think it will actually work for you. Plus it's fun!

• Options
    LB wrote:
    Definitely go to a nice stylist and be willing to spend more than you might at your closest SuperCuts. When I got a dramatically new haircut (from below my shoulders to a bob just under my ears), I used the InStyle hair makeover application (http://www.instyle.com/instyle/makeover/). You put up a picture of yourself with your hair pulled back and it finds picture of stars with similar facial structure as you, and you transfer their haircuts to your picture so you can get a general idea of what that haircut might look like on you. It's not totally accurate, but if you find a few you like, you can print them out to take to your stylist, and get their feedback on whether you think it will actually work for you. Plus it's fun!

Haha. I've been doing this for the past hour. IT'S SO ADDICTIVE.

I feel like I'm 5.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Alyce

You look a bit like me. Only thinner. And your hair is just about the same curly as mine, only I don't bother to straighten it every day.

At one point I took my hair (same length as yours is now) and got it cut off at the cheekbones. My curls tightened a bit, but not too much. Looked pretty good on me people said.

Also, side note, I just started using some new shampoo from Lush, their "Curly Wurly". and holy god the world is full of colors. I have never had my hair so easily taken care of after a shower, or my curls look quite so good. That picture you posted of the curly hair? that was how my hair looked with this shampoo. So there's that new discovery (yes I'm slightly evangelizing)

• Options
    I *love* lush. That is seriously the best store ever. I'll definitely pick up that shampoo! I have one like a block away from where I work, yay! Thank you!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The only downside of the Curly Wurly is that it smells like coconut. But if you like the smell of Coconut that's not a problem. But seriously, I could not stop playing with my hair last night. I honestly was happy that I had curly hair last night. First time in like 30 years that's happened.

Ok i'm done evangelizing.

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    This isn't so much a recommendation for hairstyles, but if you are going to be slicing it all off try to see if you can donate it. If you are cutting off more than 10 inches they can make it into a wig for kids with cancer.

Also, if you donate the salons tend to reduce the price of whatever styling you are getting done afterwards.

Plus you know, good deeds and all.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Reviving this thread, because I finally got my hair cut. My hair was down to the small of my back, and I was really nervous about getting it cut, because I've never had short hair before. I went to a really snazzy place, and the stylist did a fantastic job!
    Effef wrote: »

@Effef: I printed out the above hair style you suggested, because I absolutely loved it.

New hair! (sorry about the mess in the background):
    DO4jr.jpg

Anyway, just an update. Thanks guys, the hair cut was a success!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    A+++

• Options
    woooooo!!

shexy schmexy lady!!

yours is a bit shorter than i just got mine cut. and straight!

you look fantastic!!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    HUGE improvement.

I hope you gave that stylist a good tip, because they nailed it.

You look great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Very cute. Also, clean your room. ; )

• Options
    Thanks guys! I gave the stylist a pretty big tip (and a hug, because god damn). I don't even have to straighten my hair anymore. I just blow dry it real quick, put in a bit of product, and it's done. Doing my hair in the morning has never been easier, and that's a massive relief.

Anyway, this can be locked!

• Options
    looks good!

short hair +1

ox30LTf.gif
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Great haircut! I think it suits you.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    Damn. I want to steal that haircut! Super cute!

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I hadn't really paid attention to this thread, but new hair looks really great!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yep it turned out well. Nicely done Alyce.

camo_sig2.png