Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

CitOW: Game 62-Chaos Returns

SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Critical Failures
pic955226_md.jpg

Welcome to Chaos in the Old World, Fantasy Flight Games' boardgame take at Games Workshop's famous fantasy IP. In this game, players take the role of one of the four Ruinous Powers of the universe (and a fifth, uninvited guest). Speaking of which, I believe this calls for some introductions.

??????? as Khorne
Khorne loves long walks on the battlefield and nights alone with the recently deceased. He enjoys handywork, and has even so constructed a throne for himself from nothing but the skulls of the living. He's always on the lookout for new blood - in the most literal sense possible - earning him the title of "The Blood God." If Khorne were a flavor of ice cream, he would be Berserk Banana.

????? as Nurgle
The other white meat! Or in this case, possibly white pus. Nurgle, now with 300% more pestilence! This is Great Unclean One with the new Nurgle Treatment, and you won't believe it! Have you ever been traveling around, and all of a sudden you wish you had brought your horrific ailments with you? But how are you going to fit it all in your bags? Well that's easy with the new Nurgle (or as we should say, the Old Nurgle)! Watch as it spreads the epidemic over the entire countryside as you pass. And if you order now, we'll throw in this free plaguebearer. Call now!

?????? as Tzeentch
Spoiler:

?????as Slaanesh
"Working for Khorne? It's ok, I guess, but I worry about my future prospects. You know how I'm probably going to die? Not enough blood left in my neck. You know how those Slaanesh dudes over there are probably going to die? Too many orgasms.
You can see my consternation." - Khorne Thrall

As the Prince of Pain and Pleasure, some might say that Slaanesh 'goes both ways.' His followers don't quite have a 'lust for battle,' but enjoy the 'corruption' of the aristocracy. He finds subtle usurping 'invigorating,' and sometimes even so much that he just has to release his 'keeper of secrets.'

????? as the Horned Rat
The Horned Rat does not exist, nor is there such thing as the ratmen that worship it. Scholars have concluded that claims of an empire of vicious verminfolk are nothing more than stories invented to frighten the very young. Any reports of having sighted these "skaven" is seen as spreading discord amongst the faithful and, naturally, quite blasphemous. The skittering and scratching you hear deep below you at night is naught but the fevered workings of your imagination. If you insist that you have seen these creatures, please see your nearest witch hunter to be summarily executed for your blatant heresy.

----

This will be a Play-By-Post game of Chaos in the Old World for 5 players. Invitations will be taken from the discussion thread and offered to the top 4 players on the main list and a host. Will use the Morrslieb set-you guys can decide on the old world deck construction.

[RULES]
[FAQ]
[EXPANSION RULES]
[Headless Hollow Rules Summary]

Credits of Chaos
Adam Bloom for his rocking Handtracker site.
FWD for the awesome board app.
Mr.Blarney for the original design of our PbP board.
Rend for the comprehensive OP.
Darian for bringing order to chaos as games manager and our resident rules lawyer.

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

General discussion thread for Chaos in the Old World is available here

SeGaTai on
PSN SeGaTai

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    From Rend: A QUICK TUTORIAL ON CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD
    Spoiler:

Useful information:
    Spoiler:

PSN SeGaTai
    Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
    Spoiler:

PSN SeGaTai
    The new year has been lacking in Old World-time to put a stop to it. Sending out invites to top 4 on the list + 1 host. I believe the list is up to date but Darian hasn't been around for awhile so if someone knows otherwise let me know.

Game will be 5 player Morrsleib decks, post player preference and OWC deck preferences so we can get going

PSN SeGaTai
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting!

Prefs: Nurgle -> Slaanesh -> Horned Rat -> Khorne -> Tzeentch

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    As I'm playing Khorne in 57 I'll state my preferences as:

Everything that isn't Red > Khorne

So people can play what they'd like if they have a strong preference.

Trogg wrote: »
    Not as positive as AIDS and cancer, but positive nonetheless.

PSN: QuipFilter
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No preference.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I guess I'd like Khorne>Slaanesh>HR>Tzeentch>Nurgle, and I like all the cards in the OWC deck.

Thanks for hosting! I have played in four games now, I really need to step up and host one.

• visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Slaanesh ---> Tzeentch -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --> Nurgle -- -- -- -- -- - -- -- -- -- -> Khorne -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --- -- -- -- -- ---> Horned Rat

Full Expert OWC > Full Base OWC > Mixed OWC

visiblehowl on
    DogSig.gif
    Well that's everyone giving us the following players:
    Khorne-Lykouragh
    Nurgle-Wolf of Dresden
    Tzeentch-devoutlyapathetic
    Slaanesh-Visiblehowl
    Horned Rat-admanb

And with one vote each for mixed OWC and expert only I will rule in favor of expert only, because and old world victory is a host victory as far as I'm concerned. Will put together the board and deck permissions in a little bit

PSN SeGaTai
    Round 1-Summoning Phase

And it all began with an eruption!
    The Warrens Erupt! - Place one Skaven token in each region that does not currently have a Skaven token. - In the end phase, players who collected only one dial advancement counter do not advance their dial.

giving us the following board

game62state1.png

Everyone may draw 5 cards to start, Tzeentch may draw to 3-choose to discard 1, then finish drawing to hand size of 5. Khorne can began before or after that or whenever the blood god pleases really

PSN SeGaTai
    The blood god pleases!

Bloodbath to Kislev, 7/7 PP remaining.

These cards have a place in the great plan and so I shall retain them all.

Choose not to discard.

Filth in Bretonnia.

6/6 PP

Warp Shock in Brettonia.

5/6 PP remaining.

Since it seems to be a magic party, I suppose I'll put Doomwheel in the Badlands.

5/6 PP

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
    Bloodbath to The Badlands, 7/7 PP remaining.

Round 1-Summoning Phase

game62state11.png

OWC effects:
    In the end phase, players who collected only one dial advancement counter do not advance their dial.

In the past I have included a list of all the chaos cards that had a persistent effect here, though the reason for this was mostly due to the expansion being new and everyone not being as familiar to everyone. Is this still wanted by the current players or does anyone bother to read any of the things after the board image anymore?

also Nurgle is active

PSN SeGaTai
    edited January 2012
    Creeping Death in Troll Country.

5/6 PP

Wolf of Dresden on
    I read them! But I could live without them if it's a lot of work.

I definitely read them.

DogSig.gif
    I've still only played two games with the expansion.

Sounds good-just didn't want to clutter up the post if it was unnecessary-will add them in for the next board update

PSN SeGaTai
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    There's always
    Spoiler:
    :)

Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
    Acolyte to Troll Country.

4/6 PP

Man, that is such an annoying first-turn OWC.

Seductress to Estalia.

5/6

DogSig.gif
    Round 1-Summoning Phase

Tzeentch is the first to have a figure on the board, next dogs and cats will be getting married

game62state12.png

OWC effects:
    In the end phase, players who collected only one dial advancement counter do not advance their dial.

Chaos effects
    Spoiler:

Slaanesh is active

PSN SeGaTai
    Man, that is such an annoying first-turn OWC.

Seductress to Estalia.

5/6

PSN SeGaTai
    Once more, with feeling. Doomwheel to the Border Princes.

4/6 PP

I'll give you some feeling, HR...

DogSig.gif
    Bloodsworn in Bretonnia, 6/7 PP remaining

Plaguebearer in Troll Country.

4/6 PP

Round 1-Summoning Phase

game62state13.png

OWC effects:

Chaos effects
    Spoiler:

Tzeentch is active

PSN SeGaTai
    Acolyte to Troll Country.

3/6 PP

Seriously? The 1 vp for Troll Country is the hill you want to die on?

Seductress to Estalia.

4/6 PP

DogSig.gif
    Blanked on me coming after Slaanesh...

Clan rat to Tilea.

3/6 PP

Bloodletter to Tilea, 4/7 PP.