As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: January's over, go to the new thread

1939495969799»

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Man, that Notch guy must be getting paid.

If it funds Psychonauts 2, I'm sure the internet will understand.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong but none of those bricks are actually new.

I distinctly remember playing with those specific sizes and shapes twenty years ago.

All they seem to have done is print Minecraft liveries on extant product.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Man, that Notch guy must be getting paid.

If it funds Psychonauts 2, I'm sure the internet will understand.
    Then not buy Psychonauts 2.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Most Japanese games for Vita aren't going to sell that well outside of Japan.
    Different issue.

The point is Europe and North America are a significant revenue stream for every large Japanese company. They're not going to shift development two weeks (or a month) out from a launch. They'll maybe put a few guys on seeing what they have to downgrade for a 3DS port, and wait for the Western Vita sales before committing full resources. If the Vita cleans up in the West (I doubt it) they'll keep with their current course.

Sega Sammy's last financial report:
    http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2012/201203_3q_tanshin_final_e.pdf
    As a result, the Group sold 4,390 thousand video game copies in the U.S., 6,370 thousand copies in Europe and 1,830 thousand copies in Japan and other regions, for a total of 12,600 thousand copies.

Konami:
    http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2012/0202.pdf
    Unit sales FY2012 Q1-3
    Japan 5.33
    Americas 3.76
    Europe 4.89
    Asia 0.23
    Total 14.21

There's a reason Capcom is throwing it's IP out to Western developers.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-01-capcom-aggressively-seeking-overseas-partnerships
    "Acquisitions and partnerships are one of the important strategies for increasing our market share overseas," the note reads.

"We aggressively seek the opportunities of acquisitions and partnerships for the purposes of creating game content with universal market appeal and acquiring technologies and know-how required for our 'Single Content Multiple Usage' strategy."

The note discourages any takeover bids on the grounds that they lead to employee departures, which compromises the value of the acquired company. As such, Capcom favours partnerships, which could lead to acquisitions in the long term.

However, similar deals with Japanese companies are explicitly discouraged.

"A merger with a large Japanese game or toy manufacturer is not being considered as a serious option since it would not make a significant contribution to growth in our overseas sales. Furthermore, this type of merger also poses the risk of limiting our activities involving the licensing of game content."

Major Japanese developers cannot survive on Japan alone. They won't commit either way completely until the Western sales come back.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but none of those bricks are actually new.

I distinctly remember playing with those specific sizes and shapes twenty years ago.

All they seem to have done is print Minecraft liveries on extant product.

This is true but also no bad thing. You're getting instructions and the right bricks to build them in one kit. Seems a fair enough marketing gimmick to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    But... I mean...

the point of LEGO to me was the notion that it didn't need instructions. If you're following a guide with the correct bricks provided already to build a pre-determined kit, you're not playing LEGO, you're playing IKEA.

What happened to LEGOs, they used to be simple? You know what I'm talkin' about, LEGOs were simple. Harry Potter LEGOS, Star Wars LEGOS. Complicated kits....

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    The million dollar question is: how much and will Capcom find that acceptable? Capcom isn't there to ship Vita units, it's there to make money from selling its games. There will always be fanatics, but realistically, will the majority care if it doesn't look as nice? This isn't comparable to the DS/PSP situation in which the DS could barely render polygons.

I doubt Sony has deep enough pockets to persuade Capcom to bring one of the main series, and not just an updated version a year later, exclusively to the Vita with the installed base they currently have. To use your words, this isn't some semi popular game. They'll have to dig deep to compensate the losses from fewer sales and a bigger budget. And if you look in the foreseeable future, what can propel the Vita to make Capcom think twice?

The next Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are already announced for the 3DS, plus Nintendo's own Animal Crossing and Pokemon. It can only go up from here on out. Vita, not as rosy.

Plus Nintendo made sure to announce that New Super Mario Bros 3DS was on the way. Things are looking pretty awesome on the 3DS front. I just hope Sony can turn this sinking ship around, as I want a Vita. As it stands I'll probably grab a PSP3000 at some point before they stop selling them.

Like was said, Nintendo had to get their big guns out plus drop the price to turn around the low sales of the 3DS. The Vita getting out MH will not do it by itself. They also need to drop the price (they won't) and get some games out that will sell the system. (MH would be a good start, but then, will people buy a new system and game when they already have the game for the 3DS, plus have MH4 to look forward to, also on the 3DS?)

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Chen wrote:
    This isn't comparable to the DS/PSP situation in which the DS could barely render polygons.

Wait, what? The DS was fairly comparable to the Nintendo 64.

Hell, it was definitely was more powerful than the original Playstation and that was essentially discount polygon warehouse.

Edit: Regardless, the PSP/DS situation WAS nice in that it offered two handhelds with majorly different libraries due to differences in hardware (Touch Screen/Two Screens vs. Large Screen/More Powerful hardware) and with the 3DS and Vita covering both of those fronts (minus two screens on the Vita) it's a shame that the current handheld generation won't be as interesting software wise.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Chen wrote:
    This isn't comparable to the DS/PSP situation in which the DS could barely render polygons.

Wait, what? The DS was fairly comparable to the Nintendo 64.

Hell, it was definitely was more powerful than the original Playstation and that was essentially discount polygon warehouse.

It wasn't specifically a statement about the DS's power. It was referring to the obvious power gulf between the systems, and how that's no longer a major problem.

Revelations' character models are comparable to Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It's a much lower resolution screen and Uncharted definitely supports larger, more interactive areas and probably more characters at once...but the fact remains that they're far more comparable than DS/PSP.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Whoopsie, meant to post this in the new thread...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    EDIT: Whoops, new thread time. FIgured we had another page before that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    They got this out faster than I thought.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/16/just-lego-lego-minecraft-is-a-real-thing/
    Yes, it’s real and it can be pre-ordered here for $34.99/£34.99. Lego Minecraft goes on sale in “selected” Lego shops in the summer, and gives you a chunk of the world to play with. The Minecraft range of Lego (and that’s just Lego, LEGO) will feature Steve and a creeper, as well your standard world building blocks from the game – stone, sand, wood, and even water and lava. It might be the cutest game/toy crossover the world has ever produced, and it was produced via the CUUSOO site, where Lego fans are asked to submit ideas.

A gallery of the Minecraft kit can be seen below.

minelego2.jpg

I paid during the Alpha. I really should download the real thing and figure out how to play this game....

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArandmoorArandmoor Registered User regular
    Arandmoor wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Hi! Welcome to the video game industry thread. Here we discuss things like sales figures, game development, studio closures, executive quotes, marketing and general business stuff. Also poop jokes.

Just to make sure...the poop jokes include quotes from EA and Activision higher-ups correct?

Or is that restricted to crap Steve Balmer says/thinks?

What? Steve Balmer is awesome. In an era where corporate execs desperately try not to anger their competition, Steve Balmer talks shit about the iPhone in front of thousands of people. He jumps around like crazy, fucks with interviewers, and has more enthusiasm for his product than any CEO I've ever seen.

The guy doesn't give a fuck and I love it.

He talks shit about the iPhone and then shuts down microsoft's early forays into those same markets, basically handing apple them on a silver platter. So now we've got every other company in said markets playing catch-up in what could have been a drag-down knock-out fight between M$ and Apple.

I hate him for that because in those kind of drag-down knock-out fights between companies, the customers are usually the winners. Instead he called it wrong, and everyone has had to suffer apple fanboi assholery for the past half-decade.

Also, he can jump around and act crazy all he wants. It doesn't counter stupid shit like making the XBox a completely closed platform to outside network connections (CCP wanted to release Dust514 on PS3 and Xbox, but microsoft told them to go fuck themselves so they gave sony an exclusive title instead).

He also called the Linux kernel a "cancer", and is massively opposed to the idea of open source *anything*. So far as he is concerned, if it's not making him money, it's worse than worthless and should be killed with fire. I love Linux, so I take that kind of stuff personally.